PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Audi enter F1 or WRC?

emc2rs4
June 13th, 2007, 02:23
after so many successful racing, why hasn't Audi prepare to enter it?

I am big fan of Audi and would like to see them rock the world by winning F1 or WRC.

even Super Aguri (maybe spell wrong) the most youngest F1 tead did a fantastic job last race in Canada.
I guess Honda & Toyota must crying at nite .. :harass:

just my little two cents here though:D

AndyBG
June 13th, 2007, 11:16
They are in ''Le Mans fase''....

...maybe after that.

bober3
June 17th, 2007, 16:29
i think it's because they are feared about loosing lol

emc2rs4
June 17th, 2007, 16:45
AUDI won again in Le Mans 2007.

7 wins in 8 years.

http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans/actu/2007-06-17_DS_2430_gb.html

Leadfoot
June 17th, 2007, 16:53
I doubt any company could come into F1 and win first season or second or third for that matter. The money involved in F1 puts the Le Mans series in the shade, they could do it and make a bloody good job of thing. But is VW and now Porsche ready to foot the bill.

steffenr
June 17th, 2007, 19:29
It's strategic, and F1 is not as useful to developing new cars is le mans cars, WRC would be cool to have VAG in it, 4*4 and 2 liters with turbo just screams out audi come here:incar:

I heard someone say that F1 would be dead in 10-15 years because all the rules has made it boring.

Charles DLF
June 17th, 2007, 22:57
My own thoughts;

F1 is not the show case it used to be... and has become to the eyes of many quite boring (I agree with that!)

F1 is very very (very) expensive, and the technological competition is just the greatest financial gap ever seen. And although benefits can be seen on every day cars, i doubt the investment is very good

Audi is developping Diesel engines, and i doubt F1 cars can be competitive with diesel engines. Not an expert on the matter, but i think i read about this somewhere. Plus the regulations on that matter might be restrictive...

In the end, i think audi i making the right choice in the endurance races rather than F1, and although the competition is starting to catch up, Audi still has a VERY big lead in endurance races!

emc2rs4
June 18th, 2007, 00:18
tks for very good comments which made more sense to me to understand Audi's strategy.

btw, today's race really boring me. (US Grand Prix)
I think US's track is not very challenge and also noticed not many crowd today in iNDIANAPOLIS mOTOR speedway.

As tech. involves more and more on F1 and maybe we will see a F1 champion under his belt at 20 or even 18 :confused: for years to come

Leadfoot
June 18th, 2007, 10:44
One name in my opinion has made F1 the boring event it has become, Bernie Ecclestone.The man's interest is solely money, nothing else, the sport means nothing just the money.

Though at present with young Hamilton at the wheel the fire and enjoyment is back, this might be down to the fact I am British but doubt it.

Benman
June 18th, 2007, 16:16
My own thoughts...

D.I.T.T.O. :cheers:

Audi, stay in Le Mans!

Ben:addict:

Leadfoot
June 18th, 2007, 16:36
Unless Peugeot or some of the others put up a better fight next year I think Le Mans will go the same way as F1 has when in recent years. Think about it, Audi has won 7 out of the last 8 times, even in F1 no team has had a record of Manufacturer titles to compete with that. I would much prefer Audi to enter the GT2 or GT3 class with a few R8s, at least these cars have something in common with the show room counterparts.

I look at the R10 and say yeah great Audi have won and with a diesel again but these cars are as far removed from everyday cars as the F1 cars are, if Audi scale it back to a R8 team I think a lot more of us would want to watch the Le Mans series. Lets face it, the Porsche GT3RS vs Ferrari racing this season has been the thing to watch, not the Audi R10 winning all round it.:brag:

Charles DLF
June 18th, 2007, 16:49
good point leadie...

El_cucaracha
June 18th, 2007, 20:32
but what about WRC... as i know it is not so expensive as Le-mans, it has to be twice cheaper... and it is a brilliant way to show how good cars audi has in Golf class..... it can be S3... or even upcoming A2...

Charles DLF
June 18th, 2007, 23:19
but what about WRC... as i know it is not so expensive as Le-mans, it has to be twice cheaper... and it is a brilliant way to show how good cars audi has in Golf class..... it can be S3... or even upcoming A2...

Not so sure it is much cheaper than lms... I know peugeot stopped rallying in order to get a car ready for le mans, and one reason they did so was they didn't want to loose the "sporty" image they had (please, carefully note the ""), and rally was too expensive for them. ... i don't have figures to support my word here, just things i have heard

quattro Gmbh
June 19th, 2007, 10:23
wrc budget must be much less than le mans budget.

audi has to spend minimum 500 million $ a year to catch up with latest f1 technology and success isn't guaranteed.

toyota spends 600 million $ each year since 2000 and nothing happens.

Charles DLF
June 19th, 2007, 10:41
been trying to find figures on wrc budgets for ford or citroen or subaru, and have come back with nothing... Maybe some of you are better with google than i am, and could tell us how much those teams spend every year... Thanks

quattro Gmbh
June 19th, 2007, 11:48
well i've read at wikipedia few months ago that annual budget of audi sport le mans is around 100 million $.

now checking again i see that it has been changed to 15 million $:vhmmm:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_R10

Benman
June 19th, 2007, 15:06
been trying to find figures on wrc budgets for ford or citroen or subaru, and have come back with nothing... Maybe some of you are better with google than i am, and could tell us how much those teams spend every year... Thanks

I remember reading an article on WRC budgets. To run a last place effort ($$$ wise) in F1 will win you championships in the WRC. Figures given were in the $20-40 million annual range, so yes, Audi could hack that.

Ben:addict:

JavierNuvolari
June 19th, 2007, 16:21
I would love to see Audi re-enter the WRC and win the championship for that matter, after all it's thanks to Audi that the present WRC cars have AWD right?.

El_cucaracha
June 20th, 2007, 11:12
i think only serious reason can be fear: like audi began the new era in rally, and cind of entering rally again, and losing will effect on audis sells... i'm sorry for bad english