PDA

View Full Version : iPod retrofit

Charles DLF
June 10th, 2007, 13:26
As i have said more than once here, i've been stupid enough not to take GPS in my A3, don't ask me why, i just don't know... I however have a Bose stereo in the car, with a 6 discs charger in the glove box, which i never use, therefore, i'd like to know if i could retrofit an ipod adapter in the car. I've been using an itrip so far, which i tend to hate more and more because the sound is really crappy, and i have to select different frequences all the time.

If anyone can tell me about this, i'd love to hear. By the way, my wifes A3, a 2.0, has a simple audi concert II radio, with no cd charger, could she as well have an ipod kit retrofited?

Thank you all,

Have a great sunday!

Charles

Charles DLF
June 10th, 2007, 17:19
here is my current setup in the A3, not very nice... especially the sound!

Leadfoot
June 10th, 2007, 17:41
here is my current setup in the A3, not very nice... especially the sound!

I would suggest changing the stereo to an aftermarket one from either Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer or Sony, all make units which accept either iPod or USB plus they sound night and day better than the OEM unit supplied by Audi. 300 euros + adapter should be enough to give you better bass, more volume and better control of your iPod. :thumb:

Charles DLF
June 11th, 2007, 10:44
hey leadie, thanks for the advice, i might consider that, however i'd really like to know if i can get audi to put an ipod kit on my car. I might just have to go to the dealer some day, and find out

Thanx

Cheers

C

+44 Dave
June 12th, 2007, 22:05
Your best bet would be to either call your dealer or to pay him a visit and ask. I think it should be possible as its only the A3. I'm having serious trouble getting the same done in my 04 A8 because of the complexed MMI but i think it should be an easy job for your dealer and the parts can be ordered through Audi. I reccon it'd cost around 450euro for it which is quite a bit but i'd definately pay that for one in my A8...

Charles DLF
June 13th, 2007, 09:45
hey all,

finally got in touch with my dealer this morning, since i have to send the S6 in because the sat nav screen is having problems... and asked him about the iPod kit. He quite nicely told me that it could be retrofited to both radios on the A3s, and that it would cost around 400 euros (each) install included. He then called me back with his own cell phone (which made me laugh), and gave me the name of a shop here in paris wich would make a nicer install (with a craddle) for less. so i gave the guy a call, booked a reservation for thursday for my car, and the complete install will cost me 250 euros... i'll post pictures once it's done.

Leadie, been thinking about what you told me, i might go for an aftermarket radio some time very soon, how much do you know about radios? Which would you recommend? i'll only do it in my car since my wife does not want to "tune" her car as she says... LOL

Thank you guys for helping here

Cheers

Charles

Leadfoot
June 13th, 2007, 10:26
Hey Charles,

A few years ago I use to be a dealer for Alpine, Kenwood, Sony and Pioneer as well as some well known American brands. So though I am a little out of touch with the very latest products from each of the above brands I can still advise as to which make the best products and a the easiest to use.

Alpine are the best for sound quality in my opinion though spec for spec are also the dearest.

Kenwood & Pioneer offer the best spec and their sound quality is very close to that of Alpine.

Sony product are a little different in looks but offer great usability and sound the bassiest of all.

I fitted to one of my own vehicles a Pioneer CD/Radio with (MP3 CD) capability and even on standard speakers the sound is the equal of my S4 with Bose and we are talking about a VW Caddy Van. I would check out all of the websites and see which of the products appeal to you and if you want send me a PM with each of your choices and I would gladly have a look and give my opinion.:thumb:

LukeDog
July 31st, 2007, 21:17
I'd recommend going with Leadie's advice and getting a 3rd party stereo put in like Alpine or Kenwood. As it sounds like you dont have navigation and would not have to sacrifice anything.

I have the Audi interface for my ipod and think its awful. You can only play 5 playlist +1 (all music). You can not control via the ipod, only the playlists.

Arslanoff
August 1st, 2007, 10:33
Leadfoot (http://www.rs6.com/forum/member.php?u=2474) do you know something about the iPod connection on A4/S4? Is it also that you can only play 5 playlist +1 (all music) or you can have navigation via MMI?

Leadfoot
August 5th, 2007, 18:30
Sorry mate, I have had no experience of any Audi iPod system from Audi. But all new MMI system are MP3 compatible some you can make-up your CD from any computer using something like Nero Burner and get up to 7~8 albums on to one disc.

If I was going to add any of these connections it would be a USB connection and not the iPod, but that me.