PDA

View Full Version : It's arrived!

peterb
May 21st, 2003, 11:20
Collected my car yesterday - brilliant! :addict:

I'll try to get some piccies up soon.

One question - I'm considering removing badges for a little more stealth - opinions?

Finnus
May 21st, 2003, 12:01
Peter,

Congratulations! How about a review of performance?

Thanks,

Finnus :cheers:

:addict: :addict: :addict:

krabu
May 21st, 2003, 12:08
We're patiently waiting for pictures. :addict: :addict: :cheers:

/peter

Mr. Fru-T Pants
May 21st, 2003, 14:33
Great, Pete! And, might I say, nice choice on the exterior and interior layouts. If you got aluminum trim, I'm coming to steal your car.

Fru-T

JP4
May 21st, 2003, 14:41
Originally posted by peterb
Collected my car yesterday - brilliant! :addict:

I'll try to get some piccies up soon.

One question - I'm considering removing badges for a little more stealth - opinions?

I know not everyone will agree but I think removing the RS6 badges and leaving the 4 rings front and back is a good stealth move. I plan to do the same when mine arrives.

Cheers on your new arrival! :cheers:

JP4

Mr. Fru-T Pants
May 21st, 2003, 14:59
Agreed...especially if you live in or near Jersey. The durn hoodlums there just jacked yet another S4. They(the Audi S4 contingent), have such an epidemic there. This episode involved
the owner's father getting hit at 35-40 mph when he tried to intervene(silly), to protect his son's ride. Unfortunately, he sustained some injuries; namely a broken ankle, cracked rib, and some cranial hemhorraging.

So yes, I think debadging is a very good idea, in addition to the "stealth" factor.

Fru-T

Erik
May 21st, 2003, 16:16
The misano red RS6 Avant of which there are many pictures of around the forum and main page gives you a good clue what it would look like before you try.

taipan
May 21st, 2003, 16:26
I'd hate to disappoint but the thugs who are in the business of stealing an RS4 or RS6 will have ABSOLUTELY ZERO need to read the badge to identify it.
People who "need to know" know, unfortunately.
While people who don't won't have a clue what an RS serie is anyway.

Btw, two other tricks used by thugs to get you to stop your car and step out :

1. Guys on a scooter/bike knock off your side-mirror at a traffic light so it's hanging by the wire.

2. A large garbage bin is right in the middle of your street/garage entrance.

Besides home-jacking, where your best protection (if your life matters more than the insured car) is to leave the keys next to the entrance door. Not under your pillow ;-)
So in and out asap, without confrontation ...

Eric

Snow
May 22nd, 2003, 16:51

I always wondered if debaging doesn't leave marks. Well, does it? I guess not, because otherwise noone would do it but how are the badges attached?

Mr. Fru-T Pants
May 22nd, 2003, 17:52
No, it doesn't leave any marks. Not if you clean the spot well after badge removal...

The adhesive for the badge is a double-sided 3M(manufacturer)-type, tape. To remove, simply use some waxed dental floss, sliding it under the badge, and slowly breaking the seal between the badge and body. It takes some elbow grease, and heating up the body on the underside of the trunk usually helps, which you can do with a hairdryer, heating the badge itself and surrounding area as well. Then clean the area with some tar/glue remover or petrol, apply car polish, wax, and you're done. Naked as a baby's butt.

Fru-T

Snow
May 23rd, 2003, 23:47
So it just goes down to a simple "sticker"? I thought it was a bit more complex than that but hey, I does make sense. Why ruin the finish when you don't need to!

Goofy me... :trash:

peterb
May 30th, 2003, 16:19
Okay - at long last I've got my PC back up and running. Funny, I thought that RAID was supposed to be pretty secure, but when the damned thing tells you that 3 out of 4 disks are bad .....

I tried to post pics from another platform, but this board wouldn't have it (other boards were less trouble with non-Wintel platforms).

Hey, I'm glad I went for the poplar trim, Fru-T, at least you won't come and pinch it!

As for performance - I'm waiting to get a few more miles on the clock before I boot it. However, even taking it (relatively) gently, you can still upset other road users who think their cars are quick!

Right, exterior pic:

peterb
May 30th, 2003, 16:20
... and interior pic:

dabull
May 30th, 2003, 17:07
Peter that is a beautiful car. What is on the armrest? I wouldn't touch the "badges" on the car.I wonder how that effects resale and I wouldn't want to bet on getting them back on right. :addict: :addict:

Erik
May 30th, 2003, 17:31
Nice car. Any special plans to personalise it yet?

peterb
May 30th, 2003, 19:13
Originally posted by dabull
What is on the armrest?
Ha - that's me being stupid! Guess where I laid the lens cap from my camera!!!

peterb
May 30th, 2003, 19:16
Originally posted by Erik B
Nice car. Any special plans to personalise it yet?
I'll consider chipping it once I've run it in, and got used to the performance. Otherwise I want to keep it as discrete as possible. Oh, I have ordered up a PhatBox to replace the CD changer.

Finnus
May 30th, 2003, 20:09
Sweet car!

:cheers:

chewy496
May 30th, 2003, 23:05
"Oh, I have ordered up a PhatBox to replace the CD changer."

What's a PhatBox?:confused:

Sorry if i'm being dumb.... Nice car btw! :bow: :bow: :bow:

urquattro83
May 30th, 2003, 23:12
very nice car!!:bow:

Plexus
May 30th, 2003, 23:24
If you wanted stealth, why not have ordered the car with badge delete?

As for car jacking, again all well informed thiefs know that the RS6 comes standard with a Tracker!!

Why have you got the 18" wheels when 19" are standard??

Plexus
May 31st, 2003, 10:51
Where did you get the PhatBox from? Info?
Cheers

peterb
May 31st, 2003, 23:23
chewy496 - What is PhatBox

See here (http://www.phatnoise.com/products/digitalmediaplayers/index.php)

Plexus -

The badge delete option doesn't appear on the UK pricelist.

Tracker - yep, so the thieves know to look for it and rip it out :(

18" wheels - I prefer the look, and I understand the designers felt that the car behaves better on 18"

When I have received my PhatBox, and proved that it works, I will check that the supplier is prepared to ship more to the UK. When I am happy, I will publicise details.

Nordschleife
May 31st, 2003, 23:55
Originally posted by peterb
chewy496 - What is PhatBox

See here (http://www.phatnoise.com/products/digitalmediaplayers/index.php)

Plexus -

18" wheels - I prefer the look, and I understand the designers felt that the car behaves better on 18"

When I have received my PhatBox, and proved that it works, I will check that the supplier is prepared to ship more to the UK. When I am happy, I will publicise details.

Peter
18" wheels are a matter of your taste. If you check the RS6s which the Audi race team drivers have selected, they all have 19" rims with Continental Conti Sport 2 tyres, your comment about the designer's preference is rubbish.
For everybody else, details about the PhatBox can be found at http://www.phatnoise.com/
Audi of America have made the PhatBox an official Audi accessory and there is a special Audi version. We know it works, Peter is full of it, where are you from again, Peter?

HTH
R+C

Erik
May 31st, 2003, 23:57
Time to cool down?

Benman
June 1st, 2003, 02:42
Originally posted by Nordschleife
Peter
18" wheels are a matter of your taste. If you check the RS6s which the Audi race team drivers have selected, they all have 19" rims with Continental Conti Sport 2 tyres, your comment about the designer's preference is rubbish.
HTH
R+C

what audi race team are you refering to? the only audi RS6 race
cars that i know of are in fact running in the american touring GT
series. they are running with 18" wheels. NOT 19"s. and they are
running TOYO (not the "factory" continentals) tires.

as for the 18" wheels being better on performance, i'm not
positive. but i do know that they weigh slightly less than the
19" wheels and that certainly will not HURT performance. and
besides, i would guess they might ride a little nicer:cheers:

ben:addict:

peterb
June 1st, 2003, 07:28
Originally posted by Nordschleife
Peter
18" wheels are a matter of your taste. If you check the RS6s which the Audi race team drivers have selected, they all have 19" rims with Continental Conti Sport 2 tyresAre you sure about that? Are they using production suspension settings? Are they driving on ordinary public roads?

your comment about the designer's preference is rubbish.Maybe - I did say 'I understand', indicating that it was hearsay.

For everybody else, details about the PhatBox can be found at http://www.phatnoise.com/Isn't that the same site that I posted? :confused:

Audi of America have made the PhatBox an official Audi accessory and there is a special Audi version. We know it worksAre you absolutely certain that the Nav+ system, as fitted for the UK, is the same audio gear as fitted for the USA? In any case, I have been told by Audi UK that they will be trialling the PhatBox before offering it for sale in the UK, and don't expect to be selling it before the end of this year. If they are being that cautious, do you think it would be sensible for me to advise other people to spend $809 before trying it out for myself?

Peter is full of itFull of what, exactly?

where are you from again, Peter?The UK.

HTH
Who were you hoping to help????

scoop
June 1st, 2003, 11:10
Originally posted by Benman
what audi race team are you refering to? the only audi RS6 race
cars that i know of are in fact running in the american touring GT
series. they are running with 18" wheels. NOT 19"s. and they are
running TOYO (not the "factory" continentals) tires.

Sounds like he's referring to the team of Le Mans drivers presenting the RS6 to the general public on the initial launch.

There is/was a bunch of RS6s from quattro GmbH used to demo the car on various race tracks. These are definitely equipped with the named set of 19" rims and Conti Sport and Pirelli P Zero respectively.

Robin talked about them a couple of times already and I got to see them in action at one of the RS4 Drivers Challenge events in Germany.

Nordschleife
June 1st, 2003, 16:05
Guys
The RS6s I am referring to are ther personal cars driven by the Audi Le Mans Team driverws and the Audi Sport Team Joest managers.
All are on 19 inch rims, some are on the stiffer suspension, even in the CZ Republic. The Conti Sport Contact 2 gives extremely good performance, though I wouldn't expect it to last as well as some others.
As far as the PhatBox is concerned, its been used with the Navigation Plus system here in Europe (the UK is/isn't part of Europe) since last year. The new model is specifically tailored to Audi/VAG requirements.
IHTDH
R+C

Plexus
June 1st, 2003, 18:33
My 2nd RS6 is due here Friday, you could say I am an annorak about the S and RS series Audi cars, somewhat similar to Erik. Therefore I try to speak the truth and what I know to be correct.

I have the options list for the RS6, UK version and it distinctly shows model badge delete. This is a fax from Audi UK to my dealer. There are some differences is what has been offered by different dealers throughout the UK though. For instance, I have sport suspension, 2ME on my new car, my friend in Manchester has been told there is no option in the Uk for that! I guess the area you are in may not be that upto date with it all.

As for the wheels, I aggree it is personal choice, not mine for 18"s. I just wondered why, that's all.

I hope you enjoy it, like I said my 2nd is nearly here so it's got to be good!!!!

:addict: :addict: :addict: :addict:

Finnus
June 1st, 2003, 18:49
My 2nd RS6 is due here Friday

Plexus,

What gives with two RS6s? Did the wife demand equal treatment, or was it just that you couldn't make up your mind on the color and bought two? LOL

Whatever the reason, more (or should I say, twice) the power to you!

Finnus

:addict: :addict: :addict:

peterb
June 1st, 2003, 20:08
Originally posted by Plexus
I have the options list for the RS6, UK version and it distinctly shows model badge delete.
Maybe it has changed then? When I ordered in February, I was working from the January 2003 price list. If the badge delete option is listed in there then I must have missed it, and I have read the price list countless times! Likewise, there is no mention of sports suspension or sports exhaust in that edition of the price list.

Benman
June 2nd, 2003, 15:05
plexus,

two RS6s in the SAME stable. hats off to you:cheers:

ben:addict: (i'm still waiting for my first:D)

Dave
June 2nd, 2003, 16:26
When I ordered my car (Summer 2002) there was a badge deletion option.. no charge option.

As for the wheels, and this is what I was told from early development days. The RS6 was origionally specced and tested from day one with 18" 9 spoke alloys. When it was released it was decided (in germany ) to offer the 19" alloys as an option.

Now, Audi Uk can spec their cars with what ever options they like and adjust the price accordlingly.. so they decided to put the 19" alloys on as standard and put the 18" on as a no cost option.

I do like my 19" alloys but they are so easy to kerb it's a joke.. on second thoughts I should have gone with the 18".

Dave