PDA

View Full Version : Any info on possible RWD or lightweight audi R8?

dsts6
June 4th, 2007, 01:21
I thought I would start a thread to discuss this topic....
First, has anyone heard about any possible light weight or RWD versions to come for the R8. Another question I have is why does the R8 have AWD? Does it make it faster in anyway? I know it probably makes it more usable and better in the rain. But would a RWD R8(lighter) be faster then a AWD R8 in dry conditions. There were rumours about A rwd Gallardo and of course a track focused one(superlagerra).
Next RWD vs. AWD
I am very confused about what the advantages are to each.
This is what i've gathered
RWD=more manueverable, lighter
AWD=more grip, easier to drive, better in rain
Is AWD ultimatly the one that will take over sports cars in the end? There are more ways to program 4 wheels then 2 wheels so I'm guessing with new AWD systems coming out that improve the handling, awd will perhaps become superior.
What do you all think about this topic? My question basically is, what are the advantages between the two in relation to sports cars and will one ultimatly become the status quo?

Leadfoot
June 4th, 2007, 08:50
I would like to see something like this but it would be going against Audi's policy of all high-performance motors having anything other than Quattro. I think with the intro of the light weight Gallardo I very much doubt we will ever see anything other than a V10 or a possible TDi version.

MR USER
June 4th, 2007, 13:59
Quattro is the essence of Audi.... why would they do anything different? it would be another "want to be Porsche" o cheap ferrari....
I'm gald Audi is exaclty the way it is...
As for the performances... well numbers can give you an indication of what you might get... but the emothions you get while driving it is what is going to make you get one... once the grin is on your face i guess you will not care if you could go 5 kmph faster if it was RWD... afterall public roads are not a racing track... and for the racing track you need a racing car!

Leadfoot
June 4th, 2007, 17:34
Drop Quattro and you may as well call it a Porsche or something else, it's like building a front engined 911, it ain't going to happen.

I wouldn't agree that rwd will gain you an extra 5km/h around a corner. From experience the quickest way through a corner is always the smoothest and that means no understeer or oversteer, so basically it just down to mechanical grip.

But this only works when surface conditions are dry, factor in some rain/snow and we all know which is best.