PDA

View Full Version : Audi R8 TDI

AndyBG
June 3rd, 2007, 02:11
Caranddriver is speculating about Audis future exhibition...

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/13108/2009-audi-r8-tdi.html

AndyBG
June 14th, 2007, 16:07
More speculations on this subject...

http://car-reviews.automobile.com/news/audi's-r8-tdi-is-the-torque-of-the-town/2932/

Leadfoot
June 14th, 2007, 17:17
I think it will happen but the engine choice at present is not decided on. I reckon it's a case of 'watch this space' don't you think.

AndyBG
June 14th, 2007, 19:33
I think it will happen but the engine choice at present is not decided on. I reckon it's a case of 'watch this space' don't you think.

I don't have intention of changing canal, show is allmost starting... :hihi: :R8kiss:

Dirk
June 15th, 2007, 10:16
It would be a spectacular change in sportscar motoring, just as it was with de R10 diesel engine winning in Le Mans.

But I wouldn't want it, and I think with me, most sportscar drivers just love a high revving engine and the sound and emotions it creates !

Leadfoot
June 15th, 2007, 10:35
It would be a spectacular change in sportscar motoring, just as it was with de R10 diesel engine winning in Le Mans.

But I wouldn't want it, and I think with me, most sportscar drivers just love a high revving engine and the sound and emotions it creates !

I not disagree with what you are saying and current thinking would back up your opinion, but the same was also thought about diesel engines in Luxury cars and yet here we are with more than 60% of them being sold every year being diesel.

I not doubt it will be a hard sell for any manufacturer but after the first is introduced I believe you will see a flood of them from numerous companies just waiting to see how this first one is received.

florin08
June 15th, 2007, 12:50
It would be a shame to see audi not producing a R8 tdi, especially when we are pioneers in diesel engines.:R8:

MR USER
June 15th, 2007, 16:25
Think of it... from the R8 to a Lotus Exige 1.6 tdi.. sounds like a joke!!!

F430 TDI!!! Lamborghini Gallardo 5.0 d and on and on....

I'll stick to hi octane petrol fumes!

chewym
June 15th, 2007, 20:44
Not sure which engine Audi would use in the R8. The current V8 TDI is a bit low on power. The V12 TDI is too big, the V10 TDI is archaic.

Leadfoot
June 16th, 2007, 10:13
I don't think any of the current TDi engines are suitable for use in the R8 in present form. The V12TDi looks like it's too big to fit, the V10TDi out of the VW is way too heavy and the best choice the V8TDi is under-powered. I think if the R8 gets a diesel engine it will be something none of us has seen as yet in an current model from either brand.

I reckon it will be a V8TDi with either a 5L or 5.5L displacement producing 420hp and a almighty 650ft/lbs of torque which will be made out of alloy, rev range approaching 5500revs and a torque band of 80% running from near tick-over to 4500rpm.

PIPE DREAM I hope not. But then again what do I know. ;)

PeterJohn
June 16th, 2007, 11:26
I don't think we'll see one.

And if we do, it'll have to be a mighty big engine to match the power band of a petrol engine, using massive torque and tall gears. Kinda like Chevy's LS7 engine.

These Le Mans diesels can customise their gearbox for the track, so the powerband disadvantage is limited. But in real life the Diesels' short bursts of acceleration is still not a match for a powerful petrol engine.

AndyBG
June 16th, 2007, 13:07
I'm expecting it to be V8 TDI,maybe even some evolution of current 4.2 TDI...

Leadfoot
June 16th, 2007, 13:35
I don't think we'll see one.

And if we do, it'll have to be a mighty big engine to match the power band of a petrol engine, using massive torque and tall gears. Kinda like Chevy's LS7 engine.

These Le Mans diesels can customise their gearbox for the track, so the powerband disadvantage is limited. But in real life the Diesels' short bursts of acceleration is still not a match for a powerful petrol engine.

Hello, is this not the same as what all the petrol engined cars do as well. Beside, when on the road no engine has it's gearing customized to differing roads, they all have one set of gears and that's it.

I'm not saying I would prefer a diesel version I just feel that is a market for it and believe it would be a lot better than most people think. Just look at the 335d compared to the 335i, lots of roadtesters prefer the diesel.

PeterJohn
June 16th, 2007, 13:59
Beside, when on the road no engine has it's gearing customized to differing roads, they all have one set of gears and that's it.

My point exactly. The powerband drawback of a Diesel would be much more obvious without the advantage of custom gears.

It would have to be a mighty big Diesel be able to match the "in-gear speed range" of a large petrol engine. It's not that Diesels suck, but in a sportscar it has to live up to another set of standards than in a family car. It would have to match the petrol engine in Watts (hp), at least.

Iceman
June 20th, 2007, 17:55
It will be a 4.2 litre V8 TDI with 375 hp and 770 Nm of torque.
0-100 Km/h will be in ± 5.0 secs, Topspeed ± 285 Km/h.

Hans.

KresoF1
June 20th, 2007, 20:42
My info said NO about any TDI in R8...

And here is another interesting link:
http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/1955/

Leadfoot
June 20th, 2007, 21:35
It will be a 4.2 litre V8 TDI with 375 hp and 770 Nm of torque.
0-100 Km/h will be in ± 5.0 secs, Topspeed ± 285 Km/h.

Hans.

As this is all hypothetical, I reckon Audi will not keep the 4.2L engine size. Increasing the capacity will allow the torque to come in even lower than normal which will them to run a twin turbo system, one smaller to work the lower rev range which will hand over to a large turbo to carry the rev range higher than is customary for a diesel engine.

Also 375hp will not be enough in my opinion based on the fact that the Q7 V12TDi will also get to 100km/h in around 5.0s and could also achieve a top speed in the range of 170mph, all this from a 2.5ton off-roader. If Audi do make a R8d it will have to achieve performance figures similar to the R8v8.

But like I said it's all hypothetical or is it. ;)

Toto89
June 21st, 2007, 09:59
TopGear also wrote in this article that Le Mans concept was made in 2005...if the other statements have the same amount of reality i feel like they're wrong.

florin08
June 22nd, 2007, 21:19
TopGear also wrote in this article that Le Mans concept was made in 2005...if the other statements have the same amount of reality i feel like they're wrong.

And didn`t the R8 racecar have a 3.6l engine bi-turbo??