PDA

View Full Version : Differences in Audi Nav systems?

hahnmgh63
May 29th, 2007, 14:04
Can anyone tell me the difference between the RNS-E and the Audi Naviplus systems? Have people used both systems? Are they the same? THanks, MGH

nene
May 29th, 2007, 14:23
RNS-E is DVD based, bus used is different, and reads MP3 files off of 2 SIM cards.
Naviplus (aka RNS-D) is CD based. Don't believe these are available new anymore. You can get a used one I'm sure. However, if you are going to upgrade, might was well go with the newest version of the radio product available, that being RNS-E!

hahnmgh63
May 30th, 2007, 00:29
Thanks for the reply. So the Navi Plus is RNS-D. I have a used unit and I wonder if it would be worth trying to sell it on Ebay and then shop around for a RNS-E? I'll have to check into the wiring and see what I find. Thanks, MGH

Audiline
May 30th, 2007, 09:14
Hi

I have an RS6 2004 mod and changed from RNS-D to the new RNS-E. The new DVD based navi is much better, looks much smarter but you need to have a quite competent Audi man to do it ( well, I had to since I dont know that much about it )

I also bought mine on Ebay. Nice price and very easy. Planning to put the old one in my wifes car (Audi of cource)

You will also need the "Plug and Play" adapter. Its some difficulties with the canbus signals but if you decide to do this, send me an e-mail and I will give you some tips

best regards Audiline

nene
May 30th, 2007, 16:07
There is definitely a market for the RNS-D units. Older Audis can only use the protocol used by the RNS-D. So you may get good money for the unit on resale.
Good luck.

jonas_dg
May 30th, 2007, 16:11
can you put in a RNS-E, RNS-D in a car that didn't previously had one? I mean, has it a gps antenna built in? So you don't need anything else than the unit?

nene
May 30th, 2007, 16:14
Neither RNS-D nor RNS-E have antenna built it.
I believe they can be added to a car that previously did not have GPS. As the case is with RNS-E, you can add another antenna, and hide it. Many write ups on this at NavPlus.us (http://www.nav-plus.us). I can't confirm with the RNS-D, but I think it would be possible.
If an antenna is already on the car from previous GPS system, it might make it easier, but as it was my case, it really was not true, as I had to route the wires from rear to front of the car. Check out the site I mention above, and most answers will be there, or can be provided.

hahnmgh63
May 31st, 2007, 00:55
From what I have read is that if you have the shark fin antenna on your car you may use it by splicing into it according to the NAVplus website. Or you can purchase a small GPS antenna from someone like Kufatec in Europe or others in North America and just mount it on the dash. Since my RS6 has the shark fin antenna I was going to splice into it. There are some writeups on the NAVplus website how to do this. I put my RNS-D on Ebay and will look for a good RNS-E instead. MGH

jonas_dg
May 31st, 2007, 13:00
thanks for the info! :thumb: