PDA

View Full Version : Branding: Lexus is american, Volvo is german...

Erik
May 29th, 2007, 08:28
Brand what? Listen to this; according to Anderson Analytics latest brand origin study that sampled 1,000 US College students at over 375 US universities during the fall 2006 semester, 33.7% of the participants believed that Lexus is an American firm while 55,7% said that Hyundai’s Japanese. Forty-nine percent thought Swedish carmaker Volvo to be German while 58.4% said Land Rover is an American company. Saab, Swedish? Yeah right. 40.4% mistakenly thought that it’s a German car manufacture!

"For the most part, this next generation of educated American consumers either have no clue where the brands they use come from or simply assume everything comes from the United States, Japan or Germany," said Tom H. C. Anderson, Managing Partner, Anderson Analytics.

According to Anderson, while students’ ignorance for brand origin may a bliss in some cases –eg. most believe that Motorola is Japanese (…), country of origin plays an important part in making luxury goods and automobiles more exclusive and exotic. And vice-versa, may we add as Hyundai proves. From the 246 people who said Hyundai’s was Korean, just 42% of them thought Korea makes good products while 85% of them said Japan makes good products. From the 589 students who wrongly believed Hyundai’s Japanese, 83% of them believe that Japan makes great products while only 38% think Korean products are good. Go figure… Via: Anderson Analytics

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/3589/ountriess1ky2.jpg

Leadfoot
May 29th, 2007, 08:55
I would like to see similar tested done in other countries to see if the same is true across the world, somehow I doubt it. I think the marketing done in the US leads many to believe that they are from the US such is the public's loyality for all things American.

Nordicaudi
May 29th, 2007, 13:54
It does not suprise me that my finnish workplace is the by far the worst "performer" in that test... "Nokia" ..that even sounds Japanese :cool2:

I think that over in Europe the general population knows where their stuff comes from because they know whats produced in their country and what in the next door neighbour..

Audihead
May 29th, 2007, 16:33
I would like to see similar tested done in other countries to see if the same is true across the world, somehow I doubt it. I think the marketing done in the US leads many to believe that they are from the US such is the public's loyality for all things American.

Well, being that I am from the U.S., maybe I should chime in. I have found that it isn't the marketing done. It's the marketing that isn't that causes the problem. Also, the typical American consumer is quite frankly, dense. If you ask the average person here about their car, they wont know jack. They have purchased it because they got a special deal or something of that ilk. Just for giggles, I have started my own survey here. I ask everyone that I can, even auto enthusiasts if they have read their owners manual. About 95% don't read it, hence @ 65% of the stupid questions we have to answer on these boards.:hihi:

Leadfoot
May 29th, 2007, 17:13
I have found that it isn't the marketing done. It's the marketing that isn't that causes the problem. Also, the typical American consumer is quite frankly, dense.

I ask everyone that I can, even auto enthusiasts if they have read their owners manual. About 95% don't read it, hence @ 65% of the stupid questions we have to answer on these boards.:hihi:

I will sent flowers to your funeral.:hihi: I think you also need to add subtlety to your C.V. as one of your many skills.;)

I'm not even American and I'm offended. :(

Audihead
May 29th, 2007, 21:12
I will sent flowers to your funeral.:hihi: I think you also need to add subtlety to your C.V. as one of your many skills.;)

I'm not even American and I'm offended. :(

I meant not to offend, just to tell results and observations. Sometimes the truth hurts to hear. I spend a lot of time watching and asking questions to see where people stand. Quite frankly I am unimpressed with the average consumer in this country. Now, on the other hand I like what I see from the other parts of the world. We are a very litigious and non-observant society, and it doesn't serve us well. I'm trying to do my part by answering as many questions that I can about the things that know fairly well. We can all make a difference if we do something to change this path we're on.:D

Leadfoot
May 29th, 2007, 22:16
Audihead,

My comments were meant in humour and not serious, though I would be surprised that none of your fellow countrymen would like to be called dense. The one thing I always found about the Americans is their loyalty for the flag and their country, in general you are more patriotic than any part of Europe that I know.

The results from this tests lead me to believe that in the US you thought that everything that was good which wasn't a motorcar was made in the US but the surprise was the cars which in general they know that almost all came from the right part of the world if not the exact country.

I do agree that over in Europe we are more into our products and are more interested as to where they come from. You know there is a very good reason for this, when you are looking for a new car anywhere is fine as long as it isn't from France. ;)

Audihead
May 30th, 2007, 03:59
Right on Leadie. I just call 'em like I see 'em.
These are from France too:
http://majorknitter.typepad.com/major_knitter/images/coneheads.jpg

Benman
June 1st, 2007, 16:49
Well, being that I am from the U.S., maybe I should chime in...

Truer words were never spoken...

Ben:addict:

gjg
June 1st, 2007, 20:59
I think that over in Europe the general population knows where their stuff comes from because they know whats produced in their country and what in the next door neighbour..

I would slightly disagree with this - for example Motorola GSM phones are produced in Flensburg (Germany) but majority of the people you ask in EU will guess "US" ....

The other point is that a lot of people makes fun of "dumb" Americans not knowing basic things such as geography ... but this is just about on equall basis in Europe as well - this discussion took place in Frankfurt am Main (Germany) this Monday, going through security on terminal one (my wife carrying 4 small glasses with seasonings, purchased in Nice, France 3 hours prior this, seales in bag, with REDABLE receipt in that bag:

Gertruda in security:
"what is this?"
"seasonings"
"where are you coming from?"
"Nice"
"that in Singapore?"
"No, Nice in France ..." while pointing out the clearly readable receipt stating, Nice, Cote d'Azur, France ....
"Ah ja, Spain ... das is ok ...."

Now that lady was German, this was not outsourced :applause: