PDA

View Full Version : A glut of RS6's for sale

EATRICE
May 29th, 2007, 00:55
I approximate that about 9%-10% of all the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">U.S.</st1:country-region> imported RS6's are currently for sale. There are 68 on Autotrader.com, and 66 on cars.com (with some duplication). That's a lot of RS6's considering less than 900 were imported. <O:p></O:p>
<O:p> </O:p>
On the other hand, how many people would you guess (other than collectors) have ~$50,000+ to spend on a used vehicle, that's particularly costly to use and maintain, with a warranty soon to expire or none? Certified, extended or aftermarket warranties only add about $3500 to the purchase price.<O:p></O:p>
I've also been watching RS6's on eBay for the past month and have only seen 1 actually sell. Most go unsold with bids lower than Reserve amounts, and then are re-listed for lower Buy It Now prices.<O:p></O:p>
My guess is that a lot of RS6's are being presented to the market right now as original warranties expire, RS4's attract, and talk about the new RS6 and R8 models gets hotter. I don't believe that demand could be even close to the current supply, and prices are sure to drop as sellers become more desperate. <O:p></O:p>
So if any new owners out there don't mind sharing, what did you pay? For what mileage? And what options? When did you buy?<O:p></O:p>
As the largest owner’s group, what's your opinion? Where do you think the market’s going?:vhmmm:

<O:p></O:p>

gregoryindiana
May 29th, 2007, 03:59
First, I think the number that were imported were more along 1200. A search in the RS6/S6/S8 should find a pretty accurate assessment of the actual numbers. The "less than 900" comes from a dealer or seller trying to impress with the "rarity" of the car. They are uncommon, but not rare.

Lots of people can afford the RS6 used; every one of them was over $83,000 new. The same demographic can afford them now. Some savvy buyers might even have counted on finding a pristine 3 year old RS6 "on sale" for $30k less than sticker. If you bought at a 30k discount, then a 3500 dollar warranty seems like a great investment.

A bigger factor than warranty expiration could be end of a lease. Maybe the person who can afford the lease or has it via the business wants a new thrill now, so the buyout doesn't get exercised. Leased cars rarely go in a sale to the original lessee, I believe, because residuals are set high.

RS6's aren't trouble free; if you follow this, you know about the DRC failures that have been mentionedl.

Your next to last statement is certainly true; RS6 is "just a used car", so of course prices will drop. Nobody I know of bought the car hoping to flip it 3 yrs later for a profit. How desperate are the sellers? Who knows? What are the buyers other choices? Plenty at the prices being either asked or transacted.

Some could be selling now so they are financially or garage space wise, ready for the new RS6, an R8, or who knows??

It is still good bang for the buck. With the dollar going south against the Euro, it is onlly a matter of time before reality hits the Euro manufacturers and they have to raise the price to US customers of the new cars to reflect their exchange rate. For years, a US car has been thousands cheaper than the virtually identical car sold in the UK or on the continent.

There is only so much decontenting (ie, cheaper seats, etc) that you can do to save money on the US car if you are Audi or whoever. Eventually the base price has to go up. Or more production goes to lower cost Eastern Europe. Even so, the price disparity of US vs. UK and others can't be justified. I am happy that Audi was willing to give me the car on sale. Even though I bought it new. Anyone who gets a good one used does me even better. There are fixes for the DRC, including completely replacing it with a proven aftermarket suspension. Once that is done, the biggest negative for this car is behind you.

EATRICE
May 29th, 2007, 05:17
First, I think the number that were imported were more along 1200. I'm glad to hear that. It only means there will be more parts available 10 years from now.

Lots of people can afford the RS6 used; every one of them was over $83,000 new. The same demographic can afford them now. If that demographic was a large as you believe Audi would have produced more than 1200 for this huge American market. Realistically, someone should have a 6-figure income, equity in their retirement, equity in their home and a good college fund for their kids before considering such an extravagance. That's probably 1% of 1% of the population. Now split those people amongst all luxury manufacturers.

Some savvy buyers might even have counted on finding a pristine 3 year old RS6 "on sale" for $30k less than sticker. Respectfully, what's so saavy about that?! By that reasoning, you might as well keep on waiting.

If you bought at a 30k discount, then a 3500 dollar warranty seems like a great investment. Since they are so expensive to repair, $3500 for a warranty is a good investment on these cars no matter what you've spent aquiring one.

A bigger factor than warranty expiration could be end of a lease. Nearly all 3-yr leases would be done by now.

Your next to last statement is certainly true; of course prices will drop. How desperate are the sellers? Who knows? What are the buyers other choices? Plenty at the prices being either asked or transacted. That was my point. I'm guessing current prices are inflated and will drop soon. Not just because used cars depreciate, but because there are lots of RS6's for sale, seemingly few buyers, and lots of alternatives.

Thanks for your insights Greg. :R8kiss:

gmbh6
May 30th, 2007, 15:28
:hihi:
I approximate that about 9%-10% of all the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">U.S.</st1:country-region> imported RS6's are currently for sale. There are 68 on Autotrader.com, and 66 on cars.com (with some duplication). That's a lot of RS6's considering less than 900 were imported. <O:p></O:p>
On the other hand, how many people would you guess (other than collectors) have ~$50,000+ to spend on a used vehicle, that's particularly costly to use and maintain, with a warranty soon to expire or none? Certified, extended or aftermarket warranties only add about $3500 to the purchase price.<O:p></O:p>
I've also been watching RS6's on eBay for the past month and have only seen 1 actually sell. Most go unsold with bids lower than Reserve amounts, and then are re-listed for lower Buy It Now prices.<O:p></O:p>
My guess is that a lot of RS6's are being presented to the market right now as original warranties expire, RS4's attract, and talk about the new RS6 and R8 models gets hotter. I don't believe that demand could be even close to the current supply, and prices are sure to drop as sellers become more desperate. <O:p></O:p>
So if any new owners out there don't mind sharing, what did you pay? For what mileage? And what options? When did you buy?<O:p></O:p>
As the largest owner’s group, what's your opinion? Where do you think the market’s going?:vhmmm:

Sound like an RS6 might not be the best choice for you right now.

There's only one sure fire way that your car wont depreciate.........don't buy it.

Now if you want minimal depreciation then you should wait another couple of years when they flatten out.

Around 1200 cars were imported and my guess is that most owners are moving on or upgrading. The original RS6 owners are players. These same players are now 3 years removed from that experience and are looking into other cars.

Some people keep their cars other sell them, so others, can have the privelage of owning them. And until you own one you don't what a real privelage it is to own. Also, most of these original owners can easily afford cars that are 100K or higher now. So one reason (other than the leases, or warranty) may be the girlfriend factor.

You know how you date a girl for 3 months and then you're tired of her. And then you find a really nice girl that become a serious girlfriend and you date her.....for about 3 years.....and then you want something new. Well yeah, I think whether these owners had RS6's, Turbos, or 360's they would be ready to try that new girl on for size :hihi:

Oh and add 1 more car to that autotrader list.....cause I've been dragging my feet to add mine.

RS6-4dr911
May 30th, 2007, 15:56
The sites you mention are notoriously outdated ones. I found eBay to be a better indicator of cars actively on the market since they delist when the auction ends/expires. When I was looking for mine 2 months ago I felt there were more on the market than in the previous 6 months, as leases began to expire. I bought because I sensed they were slowly being absorbed and would become scarce again and also because I tracked CPO's at dealers and they had higher asking prices but disappeared nonetheless. I saw this same thing with my '91 M5 in '95 as 4yr leases and warranties expired. Since then, there are fewer RS6's on eBay and asking prices seem to have firmed and low mileage ones (<30k) are very hard to find.
There may be a smaller % of available ones actually selling with the higher asking prices but that is little consolation if you want one.

Just MHO.

EATRICE
May 30th, 2007, 16:49
:hihi:

Sound like an RS6 might not be the best choice for you right now.
There's only one sure fire way that your car wont depreciate.........don't buy it.
Now if you want minimal depreciation then you should wait another couple of years when they flatten out. I never said I was looking for a car that won't depreciate. To the contrary, I think this is a great car for me and am happy there are so many to choose from! :applause:

Around 1200 cars were imported and my guess is that most owners are moving on or upgrading. The original RS6 owners are players. These same players are now 3 years removed from that experience and are looking into other cars.... Also, most of these original owners can easily afford cars that are 100K or higher now. So one reason (other than the leases, or warranty) may be the girlfriend factor.

You know how you date a girl for 3 months and then you're tired of her. And then you find a really nice girl that become a serious girlfriend and you date her.....for about 3 years.....and then you want something new. Well yeah, I think whether these owners had RS6's, Turbos, or 360's they would be ready to try that new girl on for size :hihi: An astute observation contrary to what Gregory thought above. You're right the original owners of these cars are BIG money, probably .001% of the population. The used buyers like me who are looking now are well off but not quite the same elite demographic.

Oh and add 1 more car to that autotrader list.....cause I've been dragging my feet to add mine. I'll watch for it as you know I'm particularly interested in your car! There's 11 blue RS6's on Trader currently, priced from $45,600 to $65,555, all being sold by dealers.

EATRICE
May 30th, 2007, 17:05
The sites you mention are notoriously outdated ones. Good point. Some of these cars may be sold and still listed.

I found eBay to be a better indicator of cars actively on the market since they delist when the auction ends/expires. There are fewer RS6's on eBay and asking prices seem to have firmed and low mileage ones (<30k) are very hard to find. I like eBay to show what people are really paying since you can see the sold prices. However, eBay has only sold 1 RS6 that I've seen in the last month despite over a dozen listings. Currently there are 5 there. (4) have been previously auctioned and are re-listed and (3) have <30k miles. But, I'm excited to see what one car without a reserve fetches. It is yellow with 50k miles and warm weather package.

MHO is that eBay is not particularly good at selling these cars if you have a firm price and patience. A nicely equipped black/black one in Houston was relisted 4 or 5 times and still hasn't sold despite having a Buy It Now price of $47,000., 33k miles and options like warm weather package. The highest bid I saw it get was $41,140.

gmbh6
May 31st, 2007, 06:31
[... An astute observation contrary to what Gregory thought above. You're right the original owners of these cars are BIG money, probably .001% of the population. The used buyers like me who are looking now are well off but not quite the same elite demographic...

Now that's being far too generous. I said players.....not straight up pimps :hahahehe:

The .oo1% of the population is driving GT's and Enzo's

We're all little guppies in their big pond. :bow:

HeadShot
June 1st, 2007, 02:13
I just got my hands on a used RS6, 15,000 miles on it. Daytona Grey and in excellent condition. Flew out to Colorado from CA to pick it up and drive home. (just had the 35,000 service(based on time not miles) and my dealer says the car is in mint shape. It was actually first sold in Feb of 2004 so i have some warranty left before i chip it out MTM.
Price paid $55K US. and brought an extensive aftermarket warrenty to get me through till 2012. very happy.

One complaint - i work 3 minutes from my house and find i will drive 30+ miles to get there some mornings... i just can't stop myself. The Beast rocks.

:rs6kiss:

LU-RS6
June 1st, 2007, 02:44
Congrats headshot. Be sure to post some pics in the RS6 Gallery :hahahehe:

msdaoust
June 1st, 2007, 16:39
Anyone with a lease about the expire in the next 4 to 6 months?

The RS6/S6 US cars cannot be imported to Canada, so I am left to a very limited selection of cars, although I read somehwhere that there may be mods that could get a US car into Canada. Anybody know the details?

tia,
Marc.

gregoryindiana
June 1st, 2007, 17:59

Here's what seems like a legit EBay sale from yesterday, 5/31. Seems like a fair price for the car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNA%3AMT%3A12&viewitem=&item=140120860248

EATRICE
June 1st, 2007, 20:05
Here's what seems like a legit EBay sale from yesterday, 5/31. Seems like a fair price for the car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNA%3AMT%3A12&viewitem=&item=140120860248

Yes, I agree this is a good price for this car to fetch. This car was the second I've seen sell on eBay. The first was interestingly also in Chicago. It sold on May 19th for $48,900 with 21,000 miles. The third one I excpect to see sell on eBay has a no reserve auction ending this Sunday morning. We'll see how high it goes!

EATRICE
June 1st, 2007, 20:16
I just got my hands on a used RS6, 15,000 miles on it. Daytona Grey and in excellent condition. Flew out to Colorado from CA to pick it up and drive home. (just had the 35,000 service(based on time not miles) and my dealer says the car is in mint shape. It was actually first sold in Feb of 2004 so i have some warranty left before i chip it out MTM.
Price paid $55K US. and brought an extensive aftermarket warrenty to get me through till 2012. very happy.

One complaint - i work 3 minutes from my house and find i will drive 30+ miles to get there some mornings... i just can't stop myself. The Beast rocks.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to add it to my personal database of recently sold RS6's. Sounds like you got a great car and are already on the road to taking care of it! Congratulations. Do you mind me asking, where did you find it advertised? And were there any particular options that made youo select this specific car in particular?

HeadShot
June 3rd, 2007, 00:41
I found it on AutoTrader.com. I had been looking about 2 months and was going to buy one in Vegas. I test drove one in LA just to be sure i liked the feel (had an S4) - their's had 40KMiles on it and they had 65k$ on the window, 55$ on line!! Anyway i told the guy i was looking at one with 15K on it but he wouldn't come down. The car was black, so it showed all the wear and tear. And the bad wax job.
The Vegas car had the interior i wanted but had 30K on it and they wanted almost 60$ for it. Still i almost brought it - their carfax said the vechicle was clean but i was using autocheck and rechecked it. Said it was in an accident in Nervada and there was a police report filed. The dealer "Fletcher Jones" - says that they were unaware of this so it was my problem to get the info on the accident!!!
So i went for the car in Boulder Colarodo, 15k on it... clean. Verry happy. I think if nothing else the lower the miles the less it has been screwed, scraped and negelected. Hope that rant was helpful. Lol
It is standard - no summer package but it moves like lighting - was that an option?? Kick ass, if so it has it in spades.. hee hee!

shulkin
June 4th, 2007, 03:29
I just traded in my 2000 911 Millenium Edition C4 for the RS6 on ebay (22k miles). It ended up being $51k plus $2,800 for a 3 year warranty from the dealer (got a reasonable number on the trade). It is just an unbelievable car. My friend has a similar RS6 and this one has a bluetooth phone module, aftermarket nav system, sirius radio, etc. This is by far the best all around car I have ever owned.

One issue - the check engine light is on, I didn't tighten the gas cap properly the first time I filled it up. Does anyone have advice as to how this gets fixed?

LOVING MY NEW (USED) CAR!

jimmy94507
June 4th, 2007, 04:46
Your friendly dealer will be happy to have the RS6 Technician check the codes and reset the light!

Congratulations!

Regards, Jimmy S.

emc2rs4
June 4th, 2007, 11:57
Yes, I agree this is a good price for this car to fetch. This car was the second I've seen sell on eBay. The first was interestingly also in Chicago. It sold on May 19th for $48,900 with 21,000 miles. The third one I excpect to see sell on eBay has a no reserve auction ending this Sunday morning. We'll see how high it goes!

This Imola Yellow ... the final price is $50099.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNA%3AMT%3A12&viewitem=&item=190116335940

I was bidding on because of its rare color but it quickly out of my budget :cry: :cry:

I really like this unique RS6 plus it has all options I want....
CARFAX said this is a fleet car and being bought from auction.

Actually this was relist becuz not sold on $54,990.

except I didn't win this car, what do you guys think about this yellow RS6?

ruxprncd
June 4th, 2007, 13:01
I bought mine on eBay in January for $40K via 'make offer'. High miles at 56k but excellent condition and had the options I wanted (SE exhaust, solar roof). I noticed the same guys are selling a 30k example for $47K (or make offer) now.

EATRICE
June 4th, 2007, 16:01
I bought mine on eBay in January for $40K via 'make offer'. High miles at 56k but excellent condition and had the options I wanted (SE exhaust, solar roof). Congratulations. Your sale backs-up what I'm saying that there are a lot for sale and that prices are very negotiable.

I noticed the same guys are selling a 30k example for $47K (or make offer) now.
You mean the black one in Houston? Is that where you got yours? This one's been relisted 5 times, each time with the 'but it now' lowered $1000.

EATRICE
June 4th, 2007, 16:04
This Imola Yellow ... the final price is $50099.00
I was bidding on because of its rare color but it quickly out of my budget
I really like this unique RS6 plus it has all options I want....
CARFAX said this is a fleet car and being bought from auction.
Actually this was relist becuz not sold on $54,990.
Except I didn't win this car, what do you guys think about this yellow RS6?
I also liked the car, the options and the color. Especially how the yellow set off the black interior. But it went too high for me as well. It had been refinished and the background was questionable. I would have bid $42K at the highest.

emc2rs4
June 5th, 2007, 02:11
I also liked the car, the options and the color. Especially how the yellow set off the black interior. But it went too high for me as well. It had been refinished and the background was questionable. I would have bid $42K at the highest.

:hihi: we were on same battler field for this beauty :love2: :addict:
me went up to around 47000

anyway, car has outstanding look but it has some mechanical service on Carfax.....

I was really want it because if I back to Taiwan for work, it will be the only one in TW. (ps. even RS6 Avant is quite popular in TW, but it's very rare to have sedan RS6 in TW.)
PLUS , yellow looks younger .... though:)

SeattleS4
June 5th, 2007, 04:13
what do you guys think about this yellow RS6?

I personally don't like yellow on an RS6.

scottmandu
June 5th, 2007, 12:59
I think if nothing else the lower the miles the less it has been screwed, scraped and negelected.

Or the longer it has sat in a body shop or a repair shop.

EATRICE
June 8th, 2007, 05:42
Well, I'm done looking, researching, evaluating and calculating. I'm now an excited and proud owner of the Goodwood Green RS6 previously owned by jmhm1967. It has a certified pre-owned warranty, warm weather package, sport exhaust, 29,800 miles, and original warranty through April '08. :jlol:

I was debating between two equal cars, one red and one green. I told the dealer of the red car "I'm thinking about another one that's cheaper". He caved $2500. Then back to the other was "make me a deal and it's done". He went down $3100 and we agreed on a final price of $46,900. :deal:

The car's in Illinois and I'll need it shipped to Salt Lake. Any suggestions?

PS. Now that I'm an owner, I'm changing my username on this site to what's going to be on my plates, "BLITZEN" which means "To Lighten" or "To Flash". Hope you like it! :R8kiss:

Benman
June 8th, 2007, 17:47
To all the new RS 6 owners out there... :cheers:

Believe it or not, I have also debated selling my Beast. Thought about it... decided not to, just love it too much. I also only have 12 more payments and then it is mine... free and clear.:heart: :rs6kiss:

And I'm not a "Player" or "Big $$$". ;)

This car will likely be in my stall for years and years to come. In fact, may give it to one of my kids one day. Of course, by then it will only be worth @ $15K so it won't be such a big deal if it gets dings and scratches on it. :D

To the new generation of FIRST GENERATION RS 6 owners, enjoy, this car is really wonderfull and this site is the absolute best, most informative you'll find for the Beast. To many happy miles.:cheers:

Ben:addict:

**edit** just realized this is post number 6000!!! Can you tell I like this site. ;) :D

jimmy94507
June 8th, 2007, 19:00
I share Ben's enthusiasm! The RS6 is a wonderful car.
Just passed 50K miles, looking forward many more happy miles!!

Jimmy S.

HeadShot
June 9th, 2007, 21:10
If you can get the time off i would say fly out there and drive it back.
I picked mine up in Denvor and drove back to LA. 2 days with the car of my dreams and the trip was amazing. It is the first time on alot of road and everything feels so wicked good.
Out of all the road trips if had that was the best for the pure thrill of driving. Invest in a radar detector!!! well worth it.
That trip to pick her up can never be repeated - now i'm used to mach two through the corners and blowing up Beamers and Mercs all day long.

The First time - always the best. Start off ownership the right way. LOL:rs6kiss:

Spidercat
June 28th, 2007, 07:30
Hello! I'm new to the forum. I just bought that 33K mi black/black RS6 in Houston mentioned above and drove it home a couple weeks ago. I paid $46,500 (plus taxes, etc. & 4-yr/48k mi warranty). I had watched it for a a couple weeks and couldn't pass up that last reserve price! The car was inspected by two separate shops (one was my Audi dealer), and both said the car was immaculate. It had just had the 35k service w/new pads & rotors. Best deal I ever made! I've been lusting after the RS6 since it was first announced, and had always planned to get one when someone's lease came due. Got the green light from my wife a few months ago, and I found the perfect one for me. I didn't think that I'd get a deal that good, though. (I was also bidding on the Imola Yellow car, but it quickly escalated beyond what I was willing to pay.) I'm partial to the iridescent black on the RS6, anyway.

I'm really surprised that the RS6s dropped so much recently, though. I was looking at this time last year and they were all in the $65k range. I'm so glad I waited.

I agree with Headshot about the trip to pick up the car- the 750mi ride home clear across Texas was unbelievable. My cheeks hurt from smiling so much! What a car!

Hope to post more tech questions in the future.

emc2rs4
June 28th, 2007, 17:33
Got a pm few days ago about imola yellow for sale.
basically owner said he couldn't make it to the US this time and the car still store in dealer's.

however, got my beast already and will deliver to me pretty soon.

ben916
June 28th, 2007, 19:17
Thanks to all that have commented and for some reason, I have missed this thread until today and was compelled to comment.

I was stung by the RS6 bug about 2 years ago when I drove a Lemon Law one in San Diego (ebay car $47k±). I had never driven a car that fast or so surefooted ever!

Was cured for a while due to paying property tax in California.

I am back on the bug but must comment (finally, right?).

The major issue that stops me from snapping up a used RS6 is the DRC. I know that no vehicle comes with a guarantee, but the DRC would need to be problem free. It would have to be a CPO dealer car for me purchase it.

I think the glut of cars for sale is also due to the end of warranties and/or lease returns.

Thanks

EATRICE
June 28th, 2007, 21:07
The major issue that stops me from snapping up a used RS6 is the DRC. I know that no vehicle comes with a guarantee, but the DRC would need to be problem free. It would have to be a CPO dealer car for me purchase it.

I think the glut of cars for sale is also due to the end of warranties and/or lease returns.

Thanks
Yes, as we've discussed, end of warranties, end of leases, new models, and other factors have most likely all contributed together to the abundance of vehicles for sale.

DRC seems to be one of, if not the most common problem among owners. However, my impression is that it is a relatively small percentage since Audi hasn't had a recall. There are 25 RS6's in my (Utah) region and apparently only 1 has ever had a shock replaced.

With the glut, you should be able to easily find cars with original warranties and certified warranties to cover this. Mine and emc2's factory warranties don't expire until April/May'08 and we are both covered another 2 years after that. Also, some owners cliam that you can replace the whole DRC system with aftermarket coil-overs of equal performance.

dkstewart
June 29th, 2007, 16:25
My son found this website and emailed me the link. I have an RS6 that I've decided to sell. I am the original owner, and bought it new in July or August of 2004, so it has a year plus on the factory warranty. It has 22,300 miles, new Pirelli PZero Rossos and has been trouble free. It's Daytona grey with silver interior, carbon trim, and sound enhancing exhaust. The car is mint, with the exception of a small crack in the plastic surrounding the rear license plate, which is unnoticable unless pointed out. There is a firm wholesale market from dealers in the Washington DC area at $42,000, with one Audi dealer offering $48,000 in the context of a trade on a fully priced Porsche, and a buyer in hand for the car. My sense is that it's worth a bit more, given the particulars, with honest (!) salesmen admitting there would be a better market for this car nationally than locally. I usually change cars every few years to keep things interesting (I'm one of those guys), and the biggest problem has been finding a car as compelling as the RS6. I don't think anyone would regret owning one of these cars.

EATRICE
June 29th, 2007, 16:52
DK - I can tell you, the most attractive thing about your car to a potential buyer is the late in service date of July'04.

This whole thread is about how many RS6's there are for sale currently. Thus, you need to set your car apart should you decide to sell. That's pretty low mileage, but there are quite a few with less. Grey is a common color. Carbon trim and upgraded exhaust are attractive, but I don't think those options sell a car. And finally, "Mint" is what's expected for any car purchase over $40,000. So IMHO, you should focus on the remaining factory warranty as your unique selling proposition.

That said, I strongly advise you to go in for the 25,000mi scheduled maintenance immediately if you're eligible! Because you have to wait 11 months between the scheduled services, that would give the new owner the ability to get the 35,000mi service done before the original manufacturer warranty expires. If not, that 35k service is at least $2500 because they change the timing chain, etc.

As a new owner who researched and watched dozens and dozens of cars, I would estimate yours would fetch $47K-$50K retail right now considering that it's not certified and doesn't carry any additional warranty. Good Luck!

EATRICE
July 3rd, 2007, 21:15
emc2 - Congratulations on your new red RS6!

Spidercat - Congratulations on your new black RS6!

And congratulations to me on my new Green RS6!

THREE PROUD NEW OWNERS - (Coincidentally, all cars have black interiors, warm weather package and sport exhausts. And all three of us bid on the yellow one that's now for sale again!)

Benman and DK - Did either of you decide to sell? Where are you listed?

Ben916 - Did you decide to buy? I would first check out Benman's and DK's cars!

Now who's going to be the next owner of the Yellow one!

:addict: :R8kiss: :addict: :R8kiss: :addict: :R8kiss: :addict: :R8kiss: :addict:

ben916
July 3rd, 2007, 22:26

THREE PROUD NEW OWNERS - (Coincidentally, all cars have black interiors, warm weather package and sport exhausts. And all three of us bid on the yellow one that's now for sale again!)

:addict: :R8kiss: :addict: :R8kiss: :addict: :R8kiss: :addict: :R8kiss: :addict:

If Benman is selling, I might have to travel to LA/Orange to see/drool what he has in the garage.

I would not be able to purchase until finances/taxes clear up in January 08...

Benman
July 4th, 2007, 00:20

I can't speak of DK, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I like the car too much. Sad as I don't get the proper use out of the Beast anymore, but every time I think of selling, I know I'll miss it and MkII (as awesome as it will be) will just not be the original. Add to that the MkII will be $100K+!

emc2rs4
July 4th, 2007, 04:57
EATRICE: too busy to drive RS6 around :revs: and no words that can express my feeling to this RED mint condition RS6. Congratulations to you as well.
Will write up more later on :deal:

AudiRS6JD
July 4th, 2007, 14:33
I purchased my RS6 -fully loaded with 22,000 miles - for a little over $70,000 from Boardwalk Audi in March of '06; it was certified pre-owned and is still in basically showroom condition. I love the car to death, but seeing the recent decline in the pricing of used RS6s, I kind of wish that I waited a little longer...I really don't care though...I had to get it, and I'm glad I did. Hey, where I live, only a couple of people have ever heard of the Beast. :rs6kiss:

dkstewart
July 6th, 2007, 20:20
Have decided to sell; just looking for an appreciative buyer. All inquiries welcome. The car isn't listed anywhere, except on Bloomberg, a subscription website for investment professionals. Window shoppers only, so far.

Spidercat
July 9th, 2007, 03:19
The yellow one went for $41,100. Congrats to the new owner!

PUIDR
July 9th, 2007, 03:22
$10,000 less than it sold in June. I bid early but decided to hold out for an RS6 with less miles. I'll just have to wait a little longer to claim the beast as one of my own.

EATRICE
July 9th, 2007, 06:56
$10,000 less than it sold in June. I bid early but decided to hold out for an RS6 with less miles. I'll just have to wait a little longer to claim the beast as one of my own.

Check out DK's! His warranty goes all the way to next fall and he has only 22k miles!

The yellow one went for $41,100. Congrats to the new owner!

Yep. I feel sorry for the New Zelander who bought it and lost $9000 in a month. But, I think he realized that he paid a premium for a color he loved.

The $41,100 price was more appropriate for the car and the market (color aside). I had bid $42k the first time it was for sale, so I think the new owner should be happy. Spidercat, what did you bid on it the first time? I know emc2 also had bid on it, so that's (3) less bidders this time around.

Spidercat
July 9th, 2007, 08:26
EATRICE,

I think I was in the mid-30's range. I can't remember. I know that once it hit 37k, I was out of the game. I was actually glad that it quickly escalated far beyond that range the first time around, since I didn't want to get cought up in a bidding war, and I knew that I had mixed feelings about "ticket-me yellow" on an RS6, anyway.

Like I said, I really wanted the blackbird metallic car, which was also staring me down at the same time with its 46,500 reserve and less miles(not to mention only a few hours drive away). That being said, for over $10k less, I think I could've lived with the yellowbird (kinda paid homage to Ruf's old CTR in my mind)!

I feel sorry for the guy who took such a big hit on it, though. I wonder why he didn't put a reserve on it? I've been trying to sell a totally custom hot-rod Toyota truck w/ a Ford 347 Stroker motor (incidentally also bright yellow, item #330144040124 if anyone's interested) for about 3 weeks now on ebay, but it's hard finding a buyer who both wants that particular vehicle and also has the cash. It certainly helps having the element of time on your side.

I'm curious as to what the value on an "average" RS6 will be (if there is such an animal) in a year or two. I tend to think that the prices will stabilize after this year, when many warranties/leases are up, and those that choose to sell now are temporarily flooding the market with cars. I could be wrong, though, but that's just my opinion. I'm sure they'll still depreciate, but not the $20k drop that happened since last year. So it really doesn't matter that much to me if the price goes up, down, or sideways in the long run, because mine's a keeper. They'll have to pry my RS6 from my cold, dead fingers (figuratively, of course)!

PUIDR
July 13th, 2007, 17:10
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=225044938&dealer_id=60476935&car_year=2003&model=RS6&num_records=50&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang

Wow talk about a price drop! The yellow RS6 that sold for $41,100 4 days is now selling at $18,000. Anyone feel like calling this scam artist?

EATRICE
July 13th, 2007, 17:29
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=225044938&dealer_id=60476935&car_year=2003&model=RS6&num_records=50&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang

Wow talk about a price drop! The yellow RS6 that sold for $41,100 4 days is now selling at $18,000. Anyone feel like calling this scam artist?

Definitely a scam. I reported it to AutoTrader.

DuckWingDuck
September 10th, 2007, 21:49
Hello all, long time reader, first time poster. Thanks to all the informative folks here on the boards, I was able to negotiated a CPO'ed RS6 this weekend to $46k and am now a proud owner of an '03 RS6!

BLITZEN
September 10th, 2007, 22:17
Hello all, long time reader, first time poster. Thanks to all the informative folks here on the boards, I was able to negotiated a CPO'ed RS6 this weekend to $46k and am now a proud owner of an '03 RS6!

Hello and welcome DuckWing. Which one did you buy? Where was it for sale? Make sure to use the User ControlPanel to update your whereabouts, etc. and ENJOY! :rs6kiss:

DuckWingDuck
September 11th, 2007, 00:24
Hello and welcome DuckWing. Which one did you buy? Where was it for sale? Make sure to use the User ControlPanel to update your whereabouts, etc. and ENJOY! :rs6kiss:

Thanks! I bought a black sedan. CPO'ed from Commonwealth Audi here in LA. Commonwealth was actually also the original seller of the vehicle and the car's only ever been touched by 1 mechanic at Commonwealth, so they know this car very, very well!

Audiphile
September 11th, 2007, 02:21
For those interested...there is a beautiful pristine black 2003 RS6 for sale with only 14,000 miles or so at Pacific Audi in Torrance, California (Los Angeles). For those in the market, regardless where you live, it is worth a check... I do not have Pacific Audi's number on hand, but you can Google it or look it up audiusa.com. I was servicing on of my Audis, and it was sitting there in the showroom. The guy traded up for a new S8. Also, saw an R8 in the showroom sold and to be delivered to the its new owner. Black with carbon-fiber side blade. Interior black with complete leather package and B&O. All LA dealers have received their first shipments of R8s for their clients. So, you know the price of this R8 at Pacific Audi was....$153,000. So much for MSRP.

Bigglezworth
September 11th, 2007, 05:11
I would love to pick up any one of those 9-10% RS6's currently for sale in the US, but I can't import it into Canada. :( There were less than 100 released for sale in Canada and when they come up for sale, the owners are selling for large $$$ (80K or higher). Due to the large currency exchange for the CDN dollar back in 2003 the purchase price for an RS6 here in Canada was in excess of 140K. Spending mid 30's to low 40's with an exchange rate that gets closer and closer to 1:1 would be just fine for me. Simply can't get past the safety requirements of the gov'ts transportation agency.
:vgrumpy:

DuckWingDuck
September 11th, 2007, 22:17
I would love to pick up any one of those 9-10% RS6's currently for sale in the US, but I can't import it into Canada. :( There were less than 100 released for sale in Canada and when they come up for sale, the owners are selling for large $$$ (80K or higher). Due to the large currency exchange for the CDN dollar back in 2003 the purchase price for an RS6 here in Canada was in excess of 140K. Spending mid 30's to low 40's with an exchange rate that gets closer and closer to 1:1 would be just fine for me. Simply can't get past the safety requirements of the gov'ts transportation agency.
:vgrumpy:

Can't you personally drive one into Canada? I mean as a private owner surely the requirements would be different assuming that it will pass emission standards and what have you?

JasonRS6
September 11th, 2007, 23:39
If anyone is interested. I am willing to lower the price.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/fsbo_search.jsp?affiliateadid=2788597&affiliate=national

Bigglezworth
September 12th, 2007, 01:25
Can't you personally drive one into Canada? I mean as a private owner surely the requirements would be different assuming that it will pass emission standards and what have you?I wish it were that simple. I'd do that in a flash. In order to register a car in Canada you need to perform an "out of country" inspection. This is performed at only a handful of authorized agencies across Canada that are approved by the RIV (Registars of Imported Vehicles). The RS6 is on the RIV's blacklist of vehicles that doesn't meet the stringent safety standards in Canada. As such the only way you can own one is to purchase one of the less than 100 that were modified by Audi originally and accepted for import back in 2003/4. From what I have been able to ascertain, you can't even pump in 10K worth of modifications by a factory authorized dealer to make the vehicle acceptable for entry. Some days I wish we had as lax of safety standards as the US so that I could enjoy rides like the RS6.

aarong
September 12th, 2007, 02:03

congrats! the southern california crew needs to get together for lunch or something one of these weekends. I picked up my ebony pearl beast six weeks ago :rs6kiss:

For those interested...there is a beautiful pristine black 2003 RS6 for sale with only 14,000 miles or so at Pacific Audi in Torrance, California (Los Angeles). For those in the market, regardless where you live, it is worth a check... I do not have Pacific Audi's number on hand, but you can Google it or look it up audiusa.com.

owww...I would have gladly paid $8K more for a car with half the miles (http://www.pacificaudi.com/en_US/frm_index.chtml?noc=1&pageName=VehicleDetails_1&overrideUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fnitra.audidealer.com%2Fpa cific%2Fen_US%2FVehicleDetails.jsp%3FsiteId%3D1966 fcd82c7f1004831b0003ba1952a8%26version%3Dlive%26pa ge_type_layout%3DVehicleDetails_audi%26pageName%3D VehicleDetails_1%26search%3Dused%26web_id%3Daudi-pacific%26widget-catcher%3D%26id%3D817407934). damn.

scottmandu
September 12th, 2007, 02:55
What is the saftey requirements missing for Canada, It's hard to image saftey specs more stringent than the USA.

Bigglezworth
September 12th, 2007, 04:32
What is the saftey requirements missing for Canada, It's hard to image saftey specs more stringent than the USA.Uncertain. There are a number of Audi's that have import problems. About 50% are admissible with the modifications to the tether restraint systems and/or the bumper protection systems. Costly in some instances, but could still be quite worth it depending on the model. In the case of the RS6, it doesn't even qualify under the admissible column.

You can see the list of Audi's that can be imported into Canada on page 8 of the RIV's US vehicle admissibility list.

http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf

JasonRS6
September 12th, 2007, 23:20
You guys better stop talking about RS6s for sale. The moderator does not like it. He will remove this thread!!

DuckWingDuck
September 13th, 2007, 03:38
congrats! the southern california crew needs to get together for lunch or something one of these weekends. I picked up my ebony pearl beast six weeks ago :rs6kiss:

Haha, totally! I'm off to China for two weeks (less than 7 days after buying my new car!!) but I'm up for it when I get back.

Incidentally, has anybody else seen the problem with the clip on the sunvisors being very stiff/difficult to lock the visor back into place?

goran
September 13th, 2007, 15:42
FYI - I paid $56K in Oct '06 for the car with 15k miles, and 1 full year on the warranty - not 'audi certified' nor extended warranty. Car still smells and looks new.:R8kiss:

RS6 POWER
September 15th, 2007, 19:38
FYI...3 weeks ago I paid $51,500 for an RS6 RED/BLACK with 23,560mi on it, the car is in mint condition...oh did I mentioned that the cost to the intial owner was $120,000. Yes I live in Puerto Rico where we have an import luxury of 40% on cars over $60,000 sad , but true!!!

Regards,
Manuel

oce
September 18th, 2007, 03:10

99% of US RS6 warranty's are up on January 1st, 2008. Just enough time to hit the track and get that free "comfort" brake change.

ben916
April 9th, 2008, 18:06
OK, anyone that is interested or knows someone interested:

Riverside Audi in New Jersey has an RS6 with 3,300 miles (i emailed to verify) and they are asking $58k. Website indicates Gray (assuming Daytona Gray) as there isn't a photo(s).

http://www.auction123.com/showroom/riverside_audi/2003/Audi/RS6/4_2/WUAPV54B13N905219.html?showroom_dealer=4297&wait=false

Bigglezworth
July 30th, 2008, 05:06
:vgrumpy:I was scanning through old posts and came across one of my first postings. Ironically in less than 10 months I have managed to do just what I initially intended with the recent aquisition of a US model RS6 now that Canada's Department of Transportation revised it's crash test requirements. Further the exchange has improved by 10 cents on the dollar and I spent even less than I would have originally thought. I'm stoked!:)

Tim

formula1man
July 31st, 2008, 20:19
I bought mine in Sacramento at a dealers, 2 mos ago for $36,800. They had dropped it $10K as it was not selling. Just wanted to give a positive outcome.

MikeL01
August 1st, 2008, 13:28
I went to the Keeneland (<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Lexington</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">Kentucky)</st1:State> Concourse on Saturday July 19<SUP>th</SUP> and quite a few of Exotic and Ferrari guys wanted to know where they could find an RS6. I pointed them to this site and some local Audi dealers. A common statement about the RS6 was “that’s the car I need”

jbtexas
August 4th, 2008, 00:04
I am still looking for the right RS6 for me. Less than 30k miles, less than 10k ideal... open to all exterior colors, but prefer grey or silver. Prefer black interior with carbon fiber. jbtrichel@aol.com

thanks

DuckWingDuck
August 4th, 2008, 00:04
have you been in contact with DBLIPA?

ben916
August 4th, 2008, 00:14
I am still looking for the right RS6 for me. Less than 30k miles, less than 10k ideal... open to all exterior colors, but prefer grey or silver. Prefer black interior with carbon fiber. jbtrichel@aol.com

thanks

Is the park place ltd not dealing?

jbtexas
August 4th, 2008, 00:20
Is the park place ltd not dealing?

Holding out a bit longer for a car that is closer to my preferred specs (black interior, carbon fiber)...also would love to find an enthusiast-owned, known car from this board.

If I cant find it, I will probably buy from Park Place Ltd... they are indeed willing to deal on their two cars.

BLITZEN
August 4th, 2008, 03:39
Good for you JB to be patient. Continue to hold out until you're 100% sure of the vehicle you get. I'm positive you'll eventually find something from an enthusiast that meets your every expectation and option preference for which you'll never have a regret.

Maybe I explained this earlier, but I found mine on autotrader.com being sold by a dealer outside of Chicago. Even though it was a dealer, I was suspicious that I was familiar with the car because someone from this site had tried selling one exactly like it a few months earlier. I ended up finding that they had traded it in and it was the car, which actually was better for me b/c it got some repair/maintenance/upgrades and was certified as a CPO warranty car.

Your patience will pay off! Good Luck!!

DuckWingDuck
August 4th, 2008, 04:37
I think ultimately I'm with BLITZEN. While it's great to buy from an enthusiast from the boards, the RS6 is such a rare car that anybody who's bought one is pretty much by definition an enthusiast and the ability to have the CPO is quite nice.

aarong
August 11th, 2008, 10:22
so sad to see one of my first posts and then a year later trying to sell mine. I'd keep it if I could get some more clients :p

DuckWingDuck
August 11th, 2008, 15:32
aaron, i'll be back in LA by the weekend, let's try to get together. You still have that 949 number?

Benman
August 11th, 2008, 17:21
so sad to see...

I hear you. The economy is crap right now. Even the auto repair industry is not well. Most shops in our business are really struggling.

DuckWingDuck
August 11th, 2008, 17:39
I wonder what sort of damage this current economic downturn will do to the value of our cars. And with the larger move away from the horsepower wars.....

Benman
August 11th, 2008, 19:19
I wonder what sort of damage this current economic downturn will do to the value of our cars. And with the larger move away from the horsepower wars.....

Eventually, I predict the RS 6, like any other high end German performance car will hit sub $10K before becoming a "collecter car" and starting a climb in value.

Bigglezworth
August 11th, 2008, 21:12
Eventually, I predict the RS 6, like any other high end German performance car will hit sub $10K before becoming a "collecter car" and starting a climb in value.

I don't think it will ever hit sub 10K, but it will certainly hit the mid teens.

Benman
August 11th, 2008, 22:07
I don't think it will ever hit sub 10K, but it will certainly hit the mid teens.

I'm pretty certain that people who bought a brand new M5 in 93' never thought their car would hit sub $10K either, not to mention the man who bought the 90' Bentley Turb R new, and now which is selling for $22K, both available within 500 miles from me. ;)

I'm not saying this because I want it to happen, but because I think it will (afterall, buying the Beast new with tags, license, registration set me back $100K, so I certainly do not wish it to tank to $10K...). Enough time (10-14 years) will tank the RS 6 to sub $10K.

:cheers:

BLITZEN
August 12th, 2008, 05:02
Enough time (10-14 years) will tank the RS 6 to sub $10K. :cheers: Ben:addict:

Ben, your car rocks. I envy your upgrades and respect your knowledge. But I have to strongly disagree with you on this.

Sure a couple of few RS6's might go that low especially considering flooded, burnt, badly damaged, and salvaged cars. Plus there's scams and so on too. But those exceptions don't have anything to do with setting values for the rest of the good cars out there.

Even with big discounts from today's prices, the cost it takes to make high-performance parts for an RS6 should always keep the value considerably higher than you're talking about - if only to part one out.

Getting back on track, are there any American shoppers out there reading this? If so, about how many non-duplicated cars are on US eBay and AutoTrader right now? This thread was started more than a year ago and there were over 100 then which I thought was quite a few (hence the title of the thread). Also, what's a typical current price in terms of a warrantied, clean, sub 44,000 mile vehicle?

Benman
August 12th, 2008, 21:43
Ben, your car rocks. I envy your upgrades and respect your knowledge. But I have to strongly disagree with you on this.

You may have my car confused with another's, mine is stock with the exception of the H-Sports. It is very, very clean, but nothing fancy.

And if everyone agreed with my opinions, this forum would suck. :D

Getting back on track, are there any American shoppers out there reading this? If so, about how many non-duplicated cars are on US eBay and AutoTrader right now? This thread was started more than a year ago and there were over 100 then which I thought was quite a few (hence the title of the thread). Also, what's a typical current price in terms of a warrantied, clean, sub 44,000 mile vehicle?

Within 100 miles of me, there are currently 9 RS 6s for sale with the priciest being $70K (claims to be an authentic avant import) then $53K for the next priciest, down to $34K. Most mileage is 70K, least amount of mileage is 34K.

My neck of the woods is pricey for high end used cars. Better deals are out there. :cheers:

jbtexas
August 12th, 2008, 23:10
Ben, why dont you just sell me your car now? :D

Benman
August 12th, 2008, 23:54
Ben, why dont you just sell me your car now? :D
NevAr!

**stealing iconcls's trademark**

aarong
August 13th, 2008, 01:29
the dealer offers are the ones that sting. very, very low (but of course, that's what's expected)

aarong
August 13th, 2008, 01:30
aaron, i'll be back in LA by the weekend, let's try to get together. You still have that 949 number?
yes, I do! and lets.

mmaturo
August 15th, 2008, 22:53
You may have my car confused with another's, mine is stock with the exception of the H-Sports. It is very, very clean, but nothing fancy.

And if everyone agreed with my opinions, this forum would suck. :D

Within 100 miles of me, there are currently 9 RS 6s for sale with the priciest being $70K (claims to be an authentic avant import) then $53K for the next priciest, down to $34K. Most mileage is 70K, least amount of mileage is 34K.

My neck of the woods is pricey for high end used cars. Better deals are out there. :cheers:

Crazy....well for trade in my car to a cali dealer the offer dropped from 33-34 in April to 29K just last week...my car has 64K miles. Here in Chicago they are only willing on trade to give me mid to low 20s for it. Private sale has not worked either as need to make up savings on sales tax that i skip at a dealer. I am way upside down on mine thanks to the recent accelerated drop...wish the S5 i was trying to get was on the lot in April...i would have run away with the S5 and left the RS6. No such luck when the S5 finally was delivered and had to turn it down so driving my car into the ground.

Benman
August 15th, 2008, 23:03
Crazy....well for trade in my car to a cali dealer the offer dropped from 33-34 in April to 29K just last week...my car has 64K miles. Here in Chicago they are only willing on trade to give me mid to low 20s for it. Dealers are in the business of making $$$ ;) Hence offering you $30K for something they ask $40K for. In their defense, all gas guzzlers are sitting right now so they won't take one unless they can steal it.

Run it into the ground like me. :) No car payments and still one sweet ride! :D

:cheers:

Ben:addict: :rs6kiss:

mmaturo
August 15th, 2008, 23:11
Ha...yes indeed it will end life with grass growing out of it... everything but the no payments part...i have a couple more years of those

Benman
August 15th, 2008, 23:20
Didn't you buy yours new? 5 years should be up by about now...

lonestranger
August 16th, 2008, 04:56
I am new to the search for a "good" RS6 (not beat to pieces and still reasonably priced!:D) I have been "lurking" on the forum to get as much info as I can before I take the plunge, and have a couple of questions if you don't mind: What is the DRC problem that is discussed (what is the DRC) and what is the warm weather package. Inquiring minds want to know. I am contemplating getting rid of my Raven Black 05 CTS-V and remembered how impressed I was when I originally read about the RS6, when it was released. Thus the hunt begins!:burnout: This will be my daily driver (kinda), as my track toy is a supercharged NSX. I think they might make good playmates. Again hello and keep the info coming!:cheers:

DuckWingDuck
August 16th, 2008, 07:23
If you've been lurking, you'll know that the best resource is the search button! But to quickly answer some of your questions...

1. DRC = dynamic ride control, Audi's hydraulic shock/suspension system which keeps the car from rolling as you make a turn but something is structurally wrong with it and the system often fails (easiest way to tell is to check the shock for leaks.)

2. Warm weather package is the replacement of the sun-roof with a solar-paneled moon-roof which will run the air circulation system to help keep your car cool(er). Contrary to popular belief, it's not the actual air-conditioning system that runs but rather just the fans to help re-circ. the air. Cheers and welcome.

jbtexas
August 16th, 2008, 13:05
I am new to the search for a "good" RS6 (not beat to pieces and still reasonably priced!:D) I have been "lurking" on the forum to get as much info as I can before I take the plunge, and have a couple of questions if you don't mind: What is the DRC problem that is discussed (what is the DRC) and what is the warm weather package. Inquiring minds want to know. I am contemplating getting rid of my Raven Black 05 CTS-V and remembered how impressed I was when I originally read about the RS6, when it was released. Thus the hunt begins!:burnout: This will be my daily driver (kinda), as my track toy is a supercharged NSX. I think they might make good playmates. Again hello and keep the info coming!:cheers:

this is all fine...but just stay away from ultra low mileage examples in daytona grey or avus silver... you dont want those (waiving hand, jedi mind trick)

lonestranger
August 16th, 2008, 21:09
If you've been lurking, you'll know that the best resource is the search button! But to quickly answer some of your questions...

1. DRC = dynamic ride control, Audi's hydraulic shock/suspension system which keeps the car from rolling as you make a turn but something is structurally wrong with it and the system often fails (easiest way to tell is to check the shock for leaks.)

2. Warm weather package is the replacement of the sun-roof with a solar-paneled moon-roof which will run the air circulation system to help keep your car cool(er). Contrary to popular belief, it's not the actual air-conditioning system that runs but rather just the fans to help re-circ. the air. Cheers and welcome.

I thank you for the quick informative reply, and in the future will endeavor to use the search function.:thumb:

lonestranger
August 16th, 2008, 21:14
this is all fine...but just stay away from ultra low mileage examples in daytona grey or avus silver... you dont want those (waiving hand, jedi mind trick)

If it will make you feel better, I lean towards either what is apparently called Mugello Blue or Black Pearl (?).:)

Spidercat
August 19th, 2008, 00:12
"Black Pearl" = Ebony Pearl Effect

Warm weather package also included manually-operated rear door-mounted sunshades, and electronically-operated rear window sunshade.

BLITZEN
August 21st, 2008, 18:00
Lonestranger, I suggest you first pick out what exact car(s) you're looking for by knowing what options and colors you have to have and which you don't care about.

I won't go into all the colors, you can search and find photos. I believe all the options a cutomer could pick from are:
1. Warm Weather Package or Not
2. Carbon Fibre Interior Trim or Wood Trim
3. Black Leather Interior w/silver piping or Silver Leather w/black piping
4. Sport exhaust w/black tips or Standard w/chrome tips.

Good Luck and keep posting on what you see out there in your search!

jbtexas
August 21st, 2008, 20:04
still looking for low mileage (read: less than 30k) silver or grey with black interior...loaded with all options... please email jbtrichel@aol.com

lonestranger
August 22nd, 2008, 00:00
Lonestranger, I suggest you first pick out what exact car(s) you're looking for by knowing what options and colors you have to have and which you don't care about.

I won't go into all the colors, you can search and find photos. I believe all the options a cutomer could pick from are:
1. Warm Weather Package or Not
2. Carbon Fibre Interior Trim or Wood Trim
3. Black Leather Interior w/silver piping or Silver Leather w/black piping
4. Sport exhaust w/black tips or Standard w/chrome tips.

Good Luck and keep posting on what you see out there in your search!

Will do, and I appreciate the warm welcome!:thumb:

Bigglezworth
August 24th, 2008, 03:30
still looking for low mileage (read: less than 30k) silver or grey with black interior...loaded with all options... please email jbtrichel@aol.com

Ask and you shall receive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-RS6-2003-RS6-RARE-GEM-85-MILES-PLATINUM-WARRANTY-NO-RESERVE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ150108QQihZ003Q QitemZ130249310761QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

LU-RS6
August 24th, 2008, 15:45
Anyone here know what a full interior "Naturleder" of an RS6 Avant would fetch in the U.S., despite the crappy currency rate against the EUR? We're talking front and rear, everything.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t260/Chillax666/Audi%20RS6%20Avant/DSC03601kl.jpg

DuckWingDuck
August 24th, 2008, 16:05
LU, are you talking about the entire interior of an RS6? Couple G? I'm still mildly curious about getting the recaros...

Bigglezworth
August 24th, 2008, 16:57
Anyone here know what a full interior "Naturleder" of an RS6 Avant would fetch in the U.S., despite the crappy currency rate against the EUR? We're talking front and rear, everything.It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I would pay $1,800.00 to $2,000.00 for a complete set of front seats, rear seats, and all door panels.

Are you asking this because you know of one that is for sale?

Tim

LU-RS6
August 24th, 2008, 17:14
Yeah I'm talking complete set, might sell of mine in a while. I'm not selling it because it has about 212.000kms on it :applause:

It's still in good condition but nobody will pay a good price at such mileage, so I might as well try and pull of some custom performance stuff.

I'll let you guys know when I'm onto that stage.

mmaturo
August 26th, 2008, 05:47
Anyone here know what a full interior "Naturleder" of an RS6 Avant would fetch in the U.S., despite the crappy currency rate against the EUR? We're talking front and rear, everything.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t260/Chillax666/Audi%20RS6%20Avant/DSC03601kl.jpg

Problem with this is that we in the states all have the sedan only...aren't the rear sets completely different from the Avant?

jbtexas
August 26th, 2008, 22:41
Ask and you shall receive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-RS6-2003-RS6-RARE-GEM-85-MILES-PLATINUM-WARRANTY-NO-RESERVE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ150108QQihZ003Q QitemZ130249310761QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Flying to Portland to see this car... pretty concerned about what happens to a car when it sits for 5 years though. 85 miles. Frankly, except for the wood trim, definitely what I am looking for (had hoped for less than 20k miles, not 85!) Will let you know what happens. Opinions on concerns about 85 miles on a 5 yr car are welcomed. I know what this phenomena does to an older Porsche for instance, and it is death. What about the RS6?

Aronis
August 27th, 2008, 01:43
Mine has 73250 miles. Other than 3 months getting DRC fixed the car has been very reliable. Oh and one CV boot. Road debris did that.

And of tires. LOL. Three sets summer, two winter.

Car is in for 75000 mile service. $2000. Yikes. Tune up and timing belt.

Also getting new windshield. A new windshield is just like getting a new car. LOL. See better in rain. Has three good sized chips.

And. Touch up rims.

Mike

Bigglezworth
August 27th, 2008, 02:34
Flying to Portland to see this car... pretty concerned about what happens to a car when it sits for 5 years though. 85 miles. Frankly, except for the wood trim, definitely what I am looking for (had hoped for less than 20k miles, not 85!) Will let you know what happens. Opinions on concerns about 85 miles on a 5 yr car are welcomed. I know what this phenomena does to an older Porsche for instance, and it is death. What about the RS6?Given what they've advertised as service and the like I wouldn't even bat an eye. My Buick GNX has had less than 50 miles put on it in the past 10 years! It's been started and run a few times a year, driven around the block, and then back up on the lift. Every now and then I tow it to the track and put down a few passes to keep me feeling young again. :)

mmaturo
August 27th, 2008, 04:10
Flying to Portland to see this car... pretty concerned about what happens to a car when it sits for 5 years though. 85 miles. Frankly, except for the wood trim, definitely what I am looking for (had hoped for less than 20k miles, not 85!) Will let you know what happens. Opinions on concerns about 85 miles on a 5 yr car are welcomed. I know what this phenomena does to an older Porsche for instance, and it is death. What about the RS6?

The engine is a tank...don't know what happens to inactive turbos but i would be worried about the transmission as it is already a weak link. Suspension bushings on everything up front already give out too easily not sure what they are like (harden) after 5 years of not moving).

I think you would be paying too much for the benefit of the low miles...it will instantly be worth $30K less the second you start putting miles on it. Otherwise who knows, it could be fine or it could be like some cars that things give out randomly. Under warranty at least it can be fixed. I bought my car 3+ years ago with 27K on it and i don't think lower miles would have made any difference with it up to today and 65K miles. If I could save $25K by buying a higher mileage car I would. I saved only about $4 to 5K back when i got mine and $15K off the sticker price vs a car in the teens and I am glad I did...that would be 4 or $5K in value I would be additionally upside down today. I only keep bringing this up as I am not exactly among the wealthy elite so the lost value does very much matter as I do not have $15K I want to waste when I finally want to get rid of the car. Thats still a lot of money to me to waste.

mmaturo
August 27th, 2008, 04:19
Given what they've advertised as service and the like I wouldn't even bat an eye. My Buick GNX has had less than 50 miles put on it in the past 10 years! It's been started and run a few times a year, driven around the block, and then back up on the lift. Every now and then I tow it to the track and put down a few passes to keep me feeling young again. :)

850hp...wow. My brother had one but was all stock. That was the first really fast car I remember riding in 0-60 and feeling that feeling of the power of the car catching and slapping you in the back with the seat and off you go. He let me drive it right before he sold it and it was fun just destroying the Z28s and Trans Ams that tried. Thinking back on that I am still amazed at how smooth the RS6 does the same feat. The first day I had my RS6 a big ol Firebird/trans am of the last year they made them with a huge hood bulge came roaring up off an on ramp next to me and tried to run. In the next few seconds I blew past him on up to 140 and a 10th of a mile lead. The kid had no idea what hit him and followed me off the exit I took and asked me about it. Fun.

ben916
August 27th, 2008, 05:53

SOMEONE please correct me if I am wrong, but I remember something on a thread about the flawed part(s) of the DRC was an aluminum piece inside each of the liquid filled shocks/struts/whatever and that the oil and aluminum piece eventually corroded(my wonderful spelling) no matter what a driver did do or didn't do. Would this also effect this 85 mile RS6? Since you are there, rent a car and drive the 3 hours to Bellevue WA to Park Place LTD and drive the 6K miles one... Might save you $10k or more...

I would be highly irritated paying $65k and then driving it south on I5 to Yreka, then hang a left on Highway 89 to Highway 44 and then Highway 395 via 800 miles of twisty bits and the DRC craps out in Redding....
Then pack it up in a trailer to drive it the rest of the way to TX.... GRRRR!!!!

Lucky Mother Farmer!!!

jbtexas
August 27th, 2008, 06:02
thanks, all good feedback... by the way, I do not intend to buy the car at the 65 asking price... that is a non starter for me

Bigglezworth
August 27th, 2008, 12:03
The cars price is reasonable considering it's mileage for a 'collector' car. As mentioned as soon as you decide to start driving it as a daily driver (or even part time for that matter) and begin putting miles on it, the vehicle will quickly depreciate to the value all the other well kept low mileage vehicles would expect to sell for. Personally I have no problem with a higher mileage vehicle. Aside from a design flaw on the DRC, the RS6 is the cream of the crop. There is no reason to expect failures on top quality built stuff.

jbtexas
August 27th, 2008, 22:53
After talking with the seller, he is absolutely FIRM on $65k... too much for a 5-yr old car in my mind, regardless of miles or condition. I had hoped to be in the mid $50s on the car. I realize that many on this board might disagree, and I understand/appreciate why. It's a special car and I want one....but at the right price for a pristine model. thanks

mmaturo
August 27th, 2008, 22:59
Its way too much. He will not get it. Good decision.

ben916
August 27th, 2008, 23:03
Its way to much. He will not get it. Good decision.

I agree, he/she/it will not get it....

Bigglezworth
August 27th, 2008, 23:43
They will get it guys. This is not a low mileage pristine opportunity. This is a collectors opportunity and any collector would expect to pay premium for a vehicle that hasn't been driven in it's lifetime. I posted the link more for interest than for action as Joe Public would not spend 10-15K more for the next best pristine model no matter what the mileage is. Joe Collector would though. Expect to see this particular car hit the high $$ auction blocks if it doesn't sell on ePay. It's new - regardless of the year manufactured.

mmaturo
August 28th, 2008, 00:16
They will get it guys. This is not a low mileage pristine opportunity. This is a collectors opportunity and any collector would expect to pay premium for a vehicle that hasn't been driven in it's lifetime. I posted the link more for interest than for action as Joe Public would not spend 10-15K more for the next best pristine model no matter what the mileage is. Joe Collector would though. Expect to see this particular car hit the high $$ auction blocks if it doesn't sell on ePay. It's new - regardless of the year manufactured.

Hopefully a collector will find it or i should say it find the collector, I think my first comment on Audiworld was that Audi themselves should buy it back for their own collection...sounds like he needs to be talking to barrett jackson with the whole corral. Or call up Leno...he has an R8 but does he have an RS6?

Spidercat
August 28th, 2008, 02:00
After talking with the seller, he is absolutely FIRM on $65k...
Good luck with that...

jbtexas
August 28th, 2008, 02:10
Hopefully a collector will find it or i should say it find the collector, I think my first comment on Audiworld was that Audi themselves should buy it back for their own collection...sounds like he needs to be talking to barrett jackson with the whole corral. Or call up Leno...he has an R8 but does he have an RS6?

Sorry, but I am just not sure that a 2003 4-door car sold in the thousands is something that will be sought out at this price to put in a bubble. Hope that I am wrong, I wish him the best with the sale. But this isnt a Porsche 73RS...its a modern Audi.

(Dont get me wrong, I am in love with the RS6 and hope to be an owner soon)

Bigglezworth
August 28th, 2008, 03:08
But this isnt a Porsche 73RS...its a modern Audi.
Was a 73 2.7L 911RS Porsche with 100 miles worth 75% the value of it's MSRP 5 years after release? It too was a manufacturers limited release specialty car with a nominal 1500 made available to the public. Add 30 years to that equation and the price skyrockets. German made estate car or sport coupe, they both have high appeal to a number of people and someone will indeed be willing to pay the asking price without doubt. It's only been advertised for a week. Finding the right buyer could take a few weeks/months. I'd personally like to see someone keep it in new condition and watch for it to appreciate sometime in the far away future.

My GNX is a pristine example of the ride - but it's not new. A pristine example sells for 75K. A new example (yes there are a few) sells for more than 100K.

Tim

jbtexas
August 28th, 2008, 03:59
we'll see I guess...

lets agree to disagree about comparing a 73 RS to a 4-door sedan in terms of worldwide production volumes, collectibility, etc... cant think of a single 4-door sedan example from the 70s that would follow the logic of your argument...

DuckWingDuck
August 28th, 2008, 06:07
lol, i think the bottom line is, the car's true value is the price that it sells at. Our thoughts/opinion/KBB are just guidelines. I'm with bigglesworth, I think that there is probably a collector out there who will love this essentially new car and pay top dollar for it. JBTEXAS isn't looking for a car to add to his collection, he's looking for a car that he'll be driving around, if not daily at least some of the time and so, for him, this car simply isn't worth it. And I have to echo MMATURO's thoughts here, I don't think buying a "low mileage" model is really going to make that much of a difference, I think it's more important to come up with a dollar amount that you're willing to spend and find a car that fits that amount... But, just my two cents.

LU-RS6
August 28th, 2008, 09:29
Problem with this is that we in the states all have the sedan only...aren't the rear sets completely different from the Avant?

Didn't think of that to be honest

Bigglezworth
August 28th, 2008, 12:50
we'll see I guess...

lets agree to disagree about comparing a 73 RS to a 4-door sedan in terms of worldwide production volumes, collectibility, etc... cant think of a single 4-door sedan example from the 70s that would follow the logic of your argument...
You missed the point entirely.:doh: It has nothing to do with 2 doors or 4. It has to do with limited availabity from an auto manufacturer at a specific point in time. Take qty of doors and the year out of the matter and you simply have a substantially limited production model of a publicly availble performance car. Nothing more - nothing less.:)