PDA

View Full Version : Sportauto: Audi R8 vs. Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera

Ruergard
May 18th, 2007, 11:51
The Audi R8 jumps into the world of sports cars like a bomb, a car not just for a Concours dŽElegance but also for the track with outstandig driving dynamics, a new entry the others have to look after, but also a perfect daily drive.

The Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera raises the standard for all sports cars, best performance in all disciplines but not as good as a daily drive as the R8, a bit more extreme and much more expensive.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6967/85159275sn5.th.jpg (http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=85159275sn5.jpg)http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6620/25894547iw7.th.jpg (http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=25894547iw7.jpg)http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2214/24458751fq9.th.jpg (http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=24458751fq9.jpg)http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3852/53997897ux0.th.jpg (http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=53997897ux0.jpg)http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/8530/72974796wg3.th.jpg (http://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?image=72974796wg3.jpg)http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/4105/68429506kv4.th.jpg (http://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?image=68429506kv4.jpg)

R8 / Superleggra

Tires: Pirelli P Zero corsa (semi-R-tires, both cars)

0-100km/h: 4.7 / 4.0 sec
0-160km/h: 10,5 / 8,9 sec
0-200km/h: 16,2 / 13,6 sec

Slalom: 68,6 / 70,7 km/h
Hockenheim: 1.12,7 / 1.10,9 min

Both scores a 9/10 in how fun they are to drive. :R8:

Once again the R8 does well, very well! :thumb:

PeterJohn
May 18th, 2007, 11:54
thanks for the article :thumb:

KresoF1
May 18th, 2007, 12:26
I just re-read complete article again... R8 is IMHO the best allround sportscar on the market-period!

Few extra infos-R8 is manual. R-Tronic is a tad slower on the track-this info is accurate!
Also R8 used in the article(and for Supertest-next issue!) is with normal suspension-not Magnetic Ride!! Why? Standard chassis is the SPORTY one! R8 with Magnetic Ride is little bit slower on the track-again accurate info!
Ceramic brakes(8820 Euro in Germany with Mwst) are amazing and they are a MUST. Bucket seats(in test car as well) saves you around 15kg's... Also a must IMHO.

So, if you want the most sporty allaround sportscar order your R8 in this specs(like mine!):

Manual
Standard suspension
19"(you can add Corsa's as well)
Ceramic Brakes
Bucket seats(in full leather)

Just a clue for Supertest-as fast as F430 or 997 Turbo on the Ring... Faster in wet then most other sportscars...

Gallardo SL... The best car in its class IMHO. Even F430 LP will not ba able to touch him! Why? Some spies measured some sector times on the Ring.

BTW, in this issue they also tested Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster with Sportshift... Car is slow-on the road and on the track. Also manual is far better choice then undeveloped Sportsshift...

Leadfoot
May 18th, 2007, 12:40
From what I have read regarding MagneticRide suspension over standard is that on a smooth race track like you say the standard suspension is the best composed and the quicker but on everything else the MagneticRide is better, on the road or on tracks which are lets say are not up to the best surface wise.

I still feel unless your intentions are to trackday a lot, pick the trick suspension and everything else is up for debate.

RXBG
May 18th, 2007, 14:35
those are terrible times for the R8. barely faster than a fast S4 and no faster than an RS4. when i see results like those i can't believe anything else i read. sorry.

artur777
May 18th, 2007, 14:36
From what I have read regarding MagneticRide suspension over standard is that on a smooth race track like you say the standard suspension is the best composed and the quicker but on everything else the MagneticRide is better, on the road or on tracks which are lets say are not up to the best surface wise.

I still feel unless your intentions are to trackday a lot, pick the trick suspension and everything else is up for debate.

Agree with you.
Your position is reasonable.
And for R-tronic VS manual: R-tronic is preferrable if you have your car in an everyday use. People are getiting tired to shift the stick all the time round. Sometimes it's tricky, but sometimes it bothers.

Leadfoot
May 18th, 2007, 15:18
Just a clue for Supertest-as fast as F430 or 997 Turbo on the Ring... Faster in wet then most other sportscars.

I was reckoning on a similar time as well.

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95434&postcount=8

KresoF1
May 18th, 2007, 17:47

Well, your theory is JUST theory.
Audi sended R8 with the most sporty setup(Manual, Ceramic Brakes, Corsa tires, Bucket seats) to Sport Auto. The same car is used for Supertest(next issue of Sport Auto) which features Nordschleife track time. Nordschliefe is far form smooth and flat as possible IMHO...
Audi R8 that is used in this Supertest has STANDARD suspension, not Magnetic Ride.

So, is your theory about Magnetic Ride correct?
Think again since even new TT is faster on any track with Sport suspension then with Magnetic Ride.

RXBG
May 18th, 2007, 17:49
Agree with you.
Your position is reasonable.
And for R-tronic VS manual: R-tronic is preferrable if you have your car in an everyday use. People are getiting tired to shift the stick all the time round. Sometimes it's tricky, but sometimes it bothers.

r-tronic was designed for aggressive drivnig not for around town convenience. some think convenience was the point of the gallardo auto-manual gearbox but it is hated by all of own it. only good for tracking. very rough. from what i have read the r-tronic is slightly more civilized but still not a comfort choice for commuting. those who buy it for that reason will be disappointed. like most cars in this class the gearbox options are everything short of commuting/convenience focused. the most likely to be best overall is the gated shifter, only in extreme bumper to bumper traffic would it suck.

btw- read the bimmer forums to see how unhappy M5 ownders are with the uato-manual.

if you expect to HAVE to drive every day in heavy traffic two hrs each way then you'd be forced to get the r-tronic in exchange for your knee cartilage and rough shifting.

tiff said himself one should save the 8K.

KresoF1
May 18th, 2007, 17:56
those are terrible times for the R8. barely faster than a fast S4 and no faster than an RS4. when i see results like those i can't believe anything else i read. sorry.

I need to ask this-what's wrong with you?

RS4 Supertest in Sport Auto 6/2006

0-100km/h: 4.7s
0-200km/h:16.9s

Hockenheim: 1.15,4min
Nordschleife: 8.09min

And this RS4 was with 10000km on clock(full run-in engine) and R8 was with only around 3000km on clock...

Yes, R8 is only little bit faster then RS4 in straight line till 200km/h after that R8 is faster(difference in 0-250km/h between R8 and RS4 is more then 4s...).

R8 is as fast as F430 on Hockenheim and you are not pleased with the resluts?!

What did you expect? R8 has only 420hp and probably the best suspension of all sportscars on the market currently.

Need a straight line monster? Buy 997 Turbo!

Sorry but, I did not expect this kind a comment form you...

RXBG
May 18th, 2007, 18:16
where is the hockenheim F430 time? where is the 0-250 of both cars? remember i am comparing the RS4 to the R8, this lessens its overachievance and focuses more on- underachievement based upon how much lighter it is than the R8. further, remember who i am: the ultimate R8 lover baby......

also- R&T got 4.0 flat to 60. 12.7 1/4 and 15.3 to 120 mph. why such variability? and don't tell me road, humidity, etc...

KresoF1
May 18th, 2007, 18:24
F430F1 1.12,7min Sport Auto 01/2006
Also equiped with Corsa tires...

I understand your point but, do not agree with you.

Also I do not trust in any measurement done by USA car mags...

Leadfoot
May 18th, 2007, 18:39
Well, your theory is JUST theory.
Audi sended R8 with the most sporty setup(Manual, Ceramic Brakes, Corsa tires, Bucket seats) to Sport Auto. The same car is used for Supertest(next issue of Sport Auto) which features Nordschleife track time. Nordschliefe is far form smooth and flat as possible IMHO...
Audi R8 that is used in this Supertest has STANDARD suspension, not Magnetic Ride.

So, is your theory about Magnetic Ride correct?
Think again since even new TT is faster on any track with Sport suspension then with Magnetic Ride.

My opinions are not just theory but experiences. I have driven both TTs with and without MagneticRide back to back admittedly on the road and found the one with MagneticRide more settled and connected to the road surface, yes it was also smoother to ride in but it's settled ride give confidence to push harder. This might not be the case in reality and the standard sport suspension might indeed be better but based on my own experience I would prefer to push the one fitted with MagneticRide.

I still believe as an overall package the MagneticRide car will be the better car to own unless your intention is to trackday a lot.

KresoF1, have you sampled MagneticRide as yet because if not I feel you will be more than impressive with the way the car rides and would give up the little advantage if any that the standard suspension may have for it's better overall balance.

KresoF1
May 18th, 2007, 19:19
Leadie,

I have tired R8 with both standard suspension and Magnetic Ride. My opinion? Magnetic Ride is little bit too soft in normal mode and little bit too stiff in Sport mode-feeling is similar to Porsche PASM system... Standard suspension is just right for me.

Regarding TT-there are THREE suspensions for it! Standard(little bit on softer side), Magnetic Ride and Sport Suspension.

Again IMHO Sport suspension is the best option for spirited sport driver. Magnetic Ride is a compromise... But, the best compromise for most drivers.

According to Audi insider standard suspension on R8 is better for all tracks then Magnetic Ride. Specially for demanding and not-flat-at -all Nordschleife. So, this speakes against your theory very much...

Leadfoot
May 18th, 2007, 20:18
KresoF1,

It was never an argument mate, just a difference of opinion, like I say I could only speak for the TT and found it better suited to road use than either the standard or sport suspension set-ups. If you prefer the set-up of standard suspension on the R8 that is great and never was I trying to put you off it, as I said maybe the MagneticRide isn't as quick compared to the standard but I felt it was most likely the best compromise all things considered.

I totally agree that manual is the way to go over the R-Tronic, the fact you are getting a Ferrari style shifter gate is enough to sway me but that it's so nice to use seals it.

I do get the feeling that you intend to take your R8 on to the track quite a lot so ceramic brakes are a must as will the bucket seat. I hope when your car arrives it's everything you hoped for.:thumb:

KresoF1
May 18th, 2007, 22:41
Leadie,

Thanks! We both are Audi fans so, little bit difference in opinion is actually good thing IMHO...

chewym
May 19th, 2007, 04:24

Europeans don't have drag strips. Plus it is to 62 miles per hour. 4 seconds has been achieved in America.

KK265
May 19th, 2007, 08:59
And this RS4 was with 10000km on clock(full run-in engine) and R8 was with only around 3000km on clock...

Yes, R8 is only little bit faster then RS4 in straight line till 200km/h after that R8 is faster(difference in 0-250km/h between R8 and RS4 is more then 4s...).

Need a straight line monster? Buy 997 Turbo!

Sorry but, I did not expect this kind a comment form you...[/QUOTE]

How do you know please about 4s??
I do not like the fact that R8 can not pass an 996 turbo (420 PS) bone stock everywhere ( straight,corners etc) 7 years after the launch of 996 turbo........They are same philoshophy cars i think.It is unacceptable for me also!

KresoF1
May 19th, 2007, 11:23
Just one fact for you:

-996 Turbo achived 7.56min on Sport Auto Supertest and 997 Turbo 7.54min seven years later...

buzz
May 19th, 2007, 12:20
Gents,

My dealer just came back from Germany where they tested the R8. At the track they had the SL500, Aston Martin Vantage, F430, and Jaguar XJ!! and of course the C4S. These are the direct R8 competitors!!! wait untill the V10 R8 comes out and see who will be put to shame!!!

Buzz

KK265
May 19th, 2007, 14:12
Gents,

My dealer just came back from Germany where they tested the R8. At the track they had the SL500, Aston Martin Vantage, F430, and Jaguar XJ!! and of course the C4S. These are the direct R8 competitors!!! wait untill the V10 R8 comes out and see who will be put to shame!!!

Buzz

My dealer was also in the same event.Audi forgot that an R8 with R-tronic gearbox costs the same as a GT3 not C4S...Also they forgot Corvette Z06 which is quickest car.I don't think that there is someone who can buy a 430 and prefers an R8!!!!

Ruergard
May 19th, 2007, 15:27
My dealer was also in the same event.Audi forgot that an R8 with R-tronic gearbox costs the same as a GT3 not C4S...Also they forgot Corvette Z06 which is quickest car.I don't think that there is someone who can buy a 430 and prefers an R8!!!!

But still. The R8 looks more special than any of them. For those who can afford any of those cars, that is something that matters. You wan't to be "one of a kind" and with the R8. At least for now, that's what you get. In style it blitzes the F430! :R8:

And still, it goes and especially corners pretty damn good..

Leadfoot
May 19th, 2007, 16:11

My dealer and good friend was at the event and sampled all the above cars, apart from the Audi the only other car that impressed him was the Porsche, with the Ferrari he couldn't see where the extra money was, the Aston Martin looked great but something had already broke in the one he was in, the Mercedes was something to cruise in but little else and the Jag though great value didn't command the eye in the same way as any of the others.

I agree with Audi's opinion of it's rivals with the exception being the Ferrari but believe it was included to show how good the R8 was. As for the Z06, sorry it maybe a great car but you wouldn't class it a rival of the R8, it more in the style of the GT3RS, an all out road racer.

Porsche is the closest thing to a R8 that is on the market at present, both play not only to the heart strings but to the head as well and even it can't appeal in the way the R8 can. Think about it, the R8 looks as good a Ferrari F430, will handle as good, be as classy, will no doubt be more reliable and be much cheaper to service and repair. I can't think of a better everyday supercar than what the R8 represents........................................ ....................can you?

KK265
May 20th, 2007, 00:51
My dealer and good friend was at the event and sampled all the above cars, apart from the Audi the only other car that impressed him was the Porsche, with the Ferrari he couldn't see where the extra money was, the Aston Martin looked great but something had already broke in the one he was in, the Mercedes was something to cruise in but little else and the Jag though great value didn't command the eye in the same way as any of the others.

I agree with Audi's opinion of it's rivals with the exception being the Ferrari but believe it was included to show how good the R8 was. As for the Z06, sorry it maybe a great car but you wouldn't class it a rival of the R8, it more in the style of the GT3RS, an all out road racer.

Porsche is the closest thing to a R8 that is on the market at present, both play not only to the heart strings but to the head as well and even it can't appeal in the way the R8 can. Think about it, the R8 looks as good a Ferrari F430, will handle as good, be as classy, will no doubt be more reliable and be much cheaper to service and repair. I can't think of a better everyday supercar than what the R8 represents........................................ ....................can you?
Tell your friend that the extra money is the horse on the bonnet and 0-200 in 12,6 (Sport auto Supertest) not in 16,2 sec.......
A supercar my friend, can pass in straight line salloons as M5,M6,E 63 AMG etc.Or is only for parking outside of expensive restaurants? I don't like the idea of a "slow"supercar!!If a manual Porsche 996 turbo made 14,6sec 0-200km/h on 420 PS before 6 years, why a brand new supercar on 420 PS again with R-tronic can't?I would buy a 997 GT3 or Z06 for the same money i think.

KresoF1
May 20th, 2007, 13:08
Just for your info fully delimited M6(Hartge) was faster in straight line then F430F1. Video will be soon on Youtube...

From cca 120km/h till 260km/h M6 is almost as fast as 997 Turbo and faster then any F430F1...

In gear acceleration of F430F1 is not that impressive in real life... On the autobahn F430 does not have any chance against 997 Turbo... Torque difference is simply too big...

One last thing-almost none of the R8 costumers is buying this car because of its straight line performance(me included).

Want a true straight line monster? Used Mercedes SL65AMG is a good place to start. Or buy Toyota Supra(latest model) and tune it to 600hp...

Leadfoot
May 20th, 2007, 13:50
Tell your friend that the extra money is the horse on the bonnet and 0-200 in 12,6 (Sport auto Supertest) not in 16,2 sec.......
A supercar my friend, can pass in straight line salloons as M5,M6,E 63 AMG etc.Or is only for parking outside of expensive restaurants? I don't like the idea of a "slow"supercar!!If a manual Porsche 996 turbo made 14,6sec 0-200km/h on 420 PS before 6 years, why a brand new supercar on 420 PS again with R-tronic can't?I would buy a 997 GT3 or Z06 for the same money i think.

KK265,

There is two differing opinions on what makes a supercar, you are from the opinion that speed is the most important and I agree that speed is indeed important but it's not the be all and end all of a supercar. The term for ultimate speed in cars has moved to hypercars, in my opinion looks, handling what the public think of the car as well as speed make a great supercar. The R8 will match the F430 around the ring yet be much slower at the end of every long straight, that is what makes this car 'super'.

If speed was the only importance then why buy a Ferrari, surely a Z06 would do or like KresoF1 said, an old Supra or Skyline and tune it to death, all would be quicker in acceleration than the F430, heck even the M6 might be quicker above the 150mph mark. A car that balances all disciplines into an amazing package deserves to be called a supercar and this includes the 997, Elise, RS4, F430, GT3 etc, etc, etc.