PDA

View Full Version : Diesel vs Hybrid

AndyBG
May 16th, 2007, 14:54
Auto Bild puts two filosofies on the line...

http://www.autobild.de/test/neuwagen/artikel.php?artikel_id=14088

Audi A6 3.0 TDI quattro , BMW 530 d and Mercedes E 320 CDI

vs

Lexus GS 450h

Very interesting, Auto Bild concludes that hibryd don't have a chance against modern diesels.

It would be nice for some german speaking member to give some more info about article...

Leadfoot
May 16th, 2007, 15:13
AUTOCAR also run a similar test and got the same result.

Eckoman
May 16th, 2007, 15:13
Very interesting, Auto Bild concludes that hibryd don't have a chance against modern diesels.

It would be nice for some german speaking member to give some more info about article...

And a japanese auto magazine would most probably conclude that the hybrid is superior ;)

Benman
May 16th, 2007, 15:21
Amen! This is what I've been preaching on here for the last two years! Diesel baby! But right now, how many diesels are sold in California?

0!!!

Yes, 0

Next year will be different (so we're told...).

What I'd really like to see would be a bio diesel hybrid! Man, that thing would be a torque fest!:bow:

Ben:addict:

Leadfoot
May 16th, 2007, 15:27
But Ben you have to remember that Diesel motors product worse gases than a Hybrid and quite possibly a standard petrol motor as well. California have a lot of problems and I don't think diesel is the answer that Hybrids are.

Benman
May 16th, 2007, 15:41
But Ben you have to remember that Diesel motors product worse gases than a Hybrid and quite possibly a standard petrol motor as well.

Yes, but considering they (diesels) use less gas per mileage than petrols, they can afford to "pollute" more per gallon than petrol and still be as "clean" since they pollute no more per mile. That is the key the dang tree huggers miss.

And my suggestion was for bio diesel, the tree huggers have zero argument when it comes to bio, it is a win win (pollution wise). "Pimp My Ride" just did a "Earth Day" special where they converted an old gas guzzling Chevelle into an incredible 800hp, 1400lb/ft Beast that smoked a Gallardo in the quarter mile! And despite all that raw power, it delivered 24mpg. Now how many 800hp, 1400lb/ft Beasts do you know of that get 24mpg? And yes, it was running on boi diesel. :cheers:

Ben:addict:

AndyBG
May 16th, 2007, 17:52
I also think that diesel is best solution, hybrid just can't offer that kind of practicality, after all, german companies are developing diesel engines for, allmost, 100 years, and they are getting results out of that.

Leadfoot
May 16th, 2007, 17:58
The sooner we see some form of a supercar with a diesel engine the better and I hope it's Audi that take the first step.

Just think about it, 200mph on the speedo and only 4250rpm of the tachometer and a big trail of black smoke.:D

AndyBG
May 16th, 2007, 23:51
That would be a best move for Audi, but I have some feeling that MB or BMW are going to make a move, first...