PDA

View Full Version : RS6.com Movie: Driving the S4 V8 on an airfield

Erik
May 15th, 2003, 19:37
We've done it! Driven the brand new S4 V8 on an airfield with an exiting layout of cones.

And as usual there's an interesting movie. See for yourself and let us know what you think about it.

(If you can't see the movie you need an upgrade but please don't ask us how.)

ftp://www.rs6.com/rs6.com/AudiS4-V8atAirfield.wmv

Special thanks to my co-driver :D

steve
May 15th, 2003, 20:47
Hmmmm, lovely sound!
:rs4addict

quattro
May 15th, 2003, 21:21
'select rating' *****

:s4addict:

Erik
May 15th, 2003, 21:53
This is the one I want.

http://www.audipassion.com/fr/actualites/2003/geneve_2003/s4/00.jpg

frittez
May 15th, 2003, 22:48
The V8 generates a really mean sound !!!:D

Kinda disappointed tough.... With an open airfield and a car liked that, one would think they would have tested it a bit further ...:devil:
Cornering and handling with some more speed perhaps.... top speed tests are always nice... ( see if the 250 km/h limit really worked) :incar

Snow
May 15th, 2003, 23:02
Try right-clicking on the link and choose "save as...".
This should be done on all video-links.

As for the video, hell yeah!! M3 my a**!:byeM5:

And those physical laws (?) can't scare an S4!! :hihi:
And I wan't one too but in a bit more un-anonymous colour.

krm
May 16th, 2003, 06:32
nice V8 sound, silver avant looks very stunning. All colors look good I think.

:0:

Silvant
May 16th, 2003, 07:37
"Specified Stream not Recognized"

i am the only person in the states that cannot view this?? SO FRUSTRATING.. :mouthshut

Erik
May 16th, 2003, 07:40
Originally posted by krm
All colors look good I think.

Even a blind person could easily appreciate this car. :p

Erik
May 16th, 2003, 10:59
A few pictures from another day.

Includes Audi A8

http://www.solace.mh.se/~asyvan/Bil/AudiS4-Skavsta/

krm
May 16th, 2003, 17:28
Great pics, Erik.

What I am most curious about is the handling of the car:

-> how was the steering feel? From reading a couple of reviews in automotive publications the recurring theme seems to be the steering is not very communicative a la E46 M3. Would appreciate your feedback there.

-> I assume understeering maybe an issue as with other AWD Audi variants. How was it in the S4, can it be easily corrected through throttle modulation?

-> how was the shifting action? (were the throws long and notchy, or short, direct and smooth as butter? :) )

-> pending on reading more reviews and scheduling a test drive as soon as the local dealer has one, I may very well consider an S4 Avant in my future car purchase decision as it looks quite good in my eyes. I very much appreciate your first hand impression with any other information in terms of handling/driving dynamics, general impressions, or anything else you would like to point out this special machine.

Thanks very much!

/k

Erik
May 16th, 2003, 19:37
Originally posted by krm
Great pics, Erik.

What I am most curious about is the handling of the car:

-> how was the steering feel? From reading a couple of reviews in automotive publications the recurring theme seems to be the steering is not very communicative a la E46 M3. Would appreciate your feedback there.

-> I assume understeering maybe an issue as with other AWD Audi variants. How was it in the S4, can it be easily corrected through throttle modulation?

-> how was the shifting action? (were the throws long and notchy, or short, direct and smooth as butter? :) )

-> pending on reading more reviews and scheduling a test drive as soon as the local dealer has one, I may very well consider an S4 Avant in my future car purchase decision as it looks quite good in my eyes. I very much appreciate your first hand impression with any other information in terms of handling/driving dynamics, general impressions, or anything else you would like to point out this special machine.

Thanks very much!

/k

Unfortunately I only got the drive on the video (and back) until the next person destroyed the clutch.

I consider myself to be a little above average as a driver (who doesn't :hihi: ) but the driving you see in the video is the first time I was behind the wheel of the new S4. Quite easy to drive fast with and much faster than I'd dared to beleive in the evasive slalom. (The passanger with the A8 in fresh memory is saying "remember there are natrual laws" before we enter the mid-section in about 130 km/h. My reply is "No!" and then (nervous?) laughter as we exit. )

Steering felt very nice. It's not as viper quick and direct as the M3, but it's not bad at all.
Remember I had just stepped out after half a day in a 2300 kg A8, but the car felt very light and agile.

I had no understeer feeling at all in the driving I did so I can't really comment. Basically all cars today are built to understeer.
Remember the V8 is not heavier than the old 2.7T engine.

Shifting felt fine. If I owned one I'd probably get a short shift if possible.

Accelerationwise it's pretty fast but having driven RS6:s I'm spoiled. Expect around 20 secs to 200 km/h.

Silvant
May 19th, 2003, 00:33
for both the RS6 video and also this S4 video.. i get nothing but the sound.
although it is a beautiful sound of boht cars: I NEED TO SEE IT!!!:blush:

jamesa
June 9th, 2003, 07:26
Originally posted by Silvant
for both the RS6 video and also this S4 video.. i get nothing but the sound.
although it is a beautiful sound of boht cars: I NEED TO SEE IT!!!:blush:

I know, I wish it wouldn't get posted in WMP... :(