PDA

View Full Version : Dyno Run- Standard RS6 343.2WHP

42TT
May 8th, 2007, 14:37
Had my RS6 run on the dyno today to get a baseline figure before undertaking modifications. The car made 343.2HP at all four on pump fuel. As can be seen Ambient and Inlet temps werent the best but I am on par with most other stock RS6's.

The tuner mentioned that the standard tune seems "lean" and asked if I could source a dyno graph with another rs6's A/F Ratio plotted for comparison.Only modifications to the car is aftermarket dv's and K&N Filters.

Planned upgrades are:

Larger Transmission Cooler
Engine and Transmission Performance Program
De-catted standard front pipes
De-restricted standard rear exhaust section
Removale of airbox and using custom intake pipes between air mass meters and intake snorkels.I have run a best ET of 13.07@105.5mph with the old dv's which where making some funny noises it seems to hold boost better with the new dv's and with the above modification i hope to run a 12.5 or better 1/4mile.

If anyone can help with a A/F ratio plot of a stock RS6 that would be greatly appreciated and any input is welcome.

Cheers
42TT

Radiation Joe
May 8th, 2007, 15:22
According to the guys at the dyno shop where I brought my car, the Audis tend to run a little more lean than most turbo cars. This is a good thing if the engine management is good. My car ran about 12.5 A/F ratio consistant over the range of RPM, so your's appears to be a little more lean than mine, however, you are still in good shape.
Guessing from your dyno chart, this was your first pull of the day or it was a very cool day and you had lots of fans cooling the car. You made good power considering you were on a DynoDynamics (they are less optimistic than other dynos). My car is due for its 75k mile service and only made 321 on a similar dyno (but huge midrange torque, maybe more than yours).
I would like to know how you kept the car in one gear. Myself and others have the problem of the car downshifting when we put our foot to the floor (even in tip mode).

My mediocre dyno run. (http://forums.audiworld.com/rs6/msgs/34770.phtml)

42TT
May 8th, 2007, 15:33
Radiation Joe:

Thanks for the reply. I didnt get to log torque as i opted for the a/f ratio. As far as keeping it in one gear you have to make sure you dont hit the kick down switch on the throttle.

My car only runs 0.8bar max and the dyno oull was the second the first was scrapped as the tuner needed to use a long a/f ratio probe due to improper readings with the short probe and as stated my car was held in 3rd gear what gear was yours dynoed in?

The ambient temp was 26 degrees celcius so it wasnt a hot or cold day if it was cooler power would have been higher

Radiation Joe
May 8th, 2007, 15:43
Good running car 42TT.
That point in the throttle travel is pretty easy to find. I asked my tech to stop at that point, but he wasn't able to. Consequently, my dyno run starts at 4500 rpm. My pull was in 3rd gear. Boost was around .8 as well.

42TT
May 8th, 2007, 15:45
Thanks always good to hear that my car is running in good form, hopefully my plans for modifications is in good form also

42TT

hahnmgh63
May 8th, 2007, 20:54
It may be obvious but are these A/F Ratios corrected for the cats? Some places add 1 point to the reading for cars with Cats. MGH

skiwi
May 9th, 2007, 02:37
built in to the fuel trim correction factors for idle and running. (additive or multiplicative trim). block 32.

42TT
May 9th, 2007, 02:40
SKIWI: Thanks for your post but im not sure exactly what that means LOL does my A/F Ratio seem normal?

Just spoke to the dyno operator and he said they dont use a correction factor on the A/F meter for cars with cats

42TT

Copper
May 9th, 2007, 03:48
That number is much lower than my dyno runs.

http://forums.audiworld.com/southeast/msgs/19181.phtml

I pulled a 381RW HP. I think something may be wrong with your car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH_8oToBpRg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH_8oToBpRg)

I'm looking at my DynoJet numbers and they are:

381.23 HP and 389.81 Torque

376.33 HP and 387.50 Torque

Again, it's a hard car to dyno since it won't stay in gear even with the Tiptronic.

Your 0-60 times you posted also seemed low for a stock set up. I would suggest you ditch the K&N crappy filters and go back to stock. Running K&N on the Dyno with my BMW 850i showed a HP LOSS of over 15%. Many discussions about this on the Roadfly board: http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e31/

Search for "K&N" and read up on some of the findings.

When was the last time you had the car serviced? Fluids changed? Have you checked to make sure the aftermarket DVs are actually working properly?

Sean

42TT
May 9th, 2007, 03:51
Cooper: Well unless we were both on the same dyno etc its hard to compare figures but I have read that dyno dynamics read lower than dynojet dynos. I have seen a AWE RS6 Dyno run and that car also made 340-350whp on a Mustang Dyno

About the DVs how do you check they are working properly?

skiwi
May 9th, 2007, 09:17
SKIWI: Thanks for your post but im not sure exactly what that means LOL does my A/F Ratio seem normal?

Just spoke to the dyno operator and he said they dont use a correction factor on the A/F meter for cars with cats

42TT

fuel trim is used by the ecm to correct the a/f ratio in real time, by the % nominated in block 32. 1st step is checking this ratio to ensure it is within spec and you don't have a leak, bad ox sensor or cat....

your tuner should always use the correction factor, it is there as a feedback value to describe how the engine is actually doing, not theoretically doing. if he doesn't, he might be able to boast of a higher hp value, and justify his prices to you, but the potential for shrapnel is naturally higher....

42TT
May 9th, 2007, 09:40
SWIKI: Thank you for the clarification when you say tuner do you mean making changes to the tune? During this dyno run the purpose was to gain a base HP figure before modifying the car so no changes where made

skiwi
May 9th, 2007, 11:12
ok, understood. the dyno guy should use the trim figures to correct his a/f readings which, if his readings are correct, will be inaccurate by the % stored. use the "mult" number to refect running trim (rather than idle) - apply the correction across the graph to make it accurate.

42TT
May 9th, 2007, 11:15
SKIWI: I think i understand if i was to log MB32 during the run then use the % difference against his measured a/f ratio it will give the true a/f ratio before the cats?

So i assume this will make the a/f ratio "richer"

skiwi
May 9th, 2007, 11:29
the number will be a -ve or +ve %.

-ve = too rich, so mixture leaned
+ve = too lean, so mixture richened

42TT
May 9th, 2007, 11:44
SKIWI: Thanks once again. I also have been using the new shell V-Power Racing which is a 100+ octane fuel that has ethanol blended when being made. I have read that due to the high oxygen content it tends to run leaner so this could also be causing the A/F Ratio

got boost
May 10th, 2007, 01:22
Heres a pic. (sorry, I dont have a scanner)
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/ri55/af-1.jpg

peiserg
May 10th, 2007, 02:03
well if it makes anyone feel better, mine is putting down 318 AWHP on a dyno dynamics dyno. temp was 85 F, AFR was 12.5-12.7 across the board. I'm having mine looked at by a shop to determine if there is any problem that can be fixed.

gerry

42TT
May 10th, 2007, 03:14
Gerry

Wish you luck. I will get my tuner to set some time aside and put my car on the dyno with a manual boost controller and lemmiwinks to see if we can tune the car to make more power without the need for an aftermarket program and see how we go

42TT

Copper
May 10th, 2007, 05:55
I'll snap a digital pic of my dyno chart as well and post it. I also do not have a scanner.

Sean

rr1910
May 12th, 2007, 19:56
I can't remember the torque numbers for my car but it was putting just under 400 hp to the wheels. They had a hard time keeping it from rocking on the dyno so i am unsure how reliable the numbers were. It has O.C.t chip, DP's, exhaust, DV valves and Dahlback intake with 20000 miles on the car. I was going to run the car on a diffent dyno but i am getting rid of it next week.