PDA

View Full Version : Stasis/Alcon Brake Report

SpinEcho
May 5th, 2007, 01:32
*** This is purely a subjective report of my experiences. There have been many good posts, some recent, debating various options for dealing with RS6 brake cooling issues. My post is not meant to reopen the debate or argue for any one option. Still, I'll put on my flamesuit now... :D ***

Ran my first trackday of the season on the Stasis/Alcon front brake kit yesterday. Conditions: dry and sunny, temps ranging from about 5 C in the early am to 16 or 17 C in the pm. Track: just over 5 km long, peak straight speeds just over 200 km/h, frequent corners and braking required. Reference point: OEM brakes at 2 sessions last fall in similar temperature conditions or slightly cooler.

Impressions:

Stasis brakes do not overheat as quickly as OEM. Whereas previously tires (PS2's) and brakes started to seriously overheat at similar times, now tires go off first. More consistent pedal feel and considerably less grumbling and groaning as they heat up. Modulation slightly better than OEM but not hugely improved. Wear does not seem significant.

On the street the brakes feel fine, not notably different from OEM. They started squealing after a couple of days of soft use (prior to the track session), not unlike the OEMs.

Time and more sessions will tell whether the long-term us of this kit is worth it, or whether I will start to cook wheel bearings... I'll update as needed.

Aronis
May 6th, 2007, 02:28
Did you DIY or have it done? How much?

Mike

SpinEcho
May 6th, 2007, 05:14
Had it done by trusted mechanic, labour charge less than $100. Brakes are $$$$ - certainly more than replacement OEM, which were due anyway (price on Stasis website).

jimmy94507
May 6th, 2007, 23:10
[QUOTE=SpinEcho;94270
Time and more sessions will tell whether the long-term us of this kit is worth it, or whether I will start to cook wheel bearings... I'll update as needed.[/QUOTE]

Hi,
Thanks for the report. I don't think you'll be cooking the wheel bearings based on reports of people I know who have been very satisfied with the Stasis Kit on RS6's and S4's.

Regards, Jimmy S.

SpinEcho
October 20th, 2007, 01:15
The last trackday of the season was yesterday. In total the Beast saw six days this season, with an average of several hours open running per day at the circuit previously described, in conditions ranging from dry to damp, air temp 5 C to 30 C.

The toll: one set of discs, two sets of pads, two fluid changes, two sets of PS2's and one set of stock DV's (replaced early in the season with Hyperboost DV's which have proved problem-free). As well, the rear discs and pads were replaced (under warranty) for the first time since the car was purchased.

I'm very pleased with the Stasis setup. My initial impressions are unchanged; the brakes held up very well under tough conditions. That's not to say there aren't less expensive alternatives that will work just as well, but IMHO the Stasis/Alcon brakes are a viable option for anyone who wants to track their RS6.

:addict: :addict: :addict:

RS6 POWER
October 22nd, 2007, 14:10
I also have the Alcon Brake Kit...it works awesome!!!