PDA

View Full Version : New turbo engine

rqiu
May 1st, 2007, 18:51
Quoted from Fourtitude.com:

Fourtitude: Turbos have always been a big part of Audi's heritage - today, pretty much relegated to the 2.0T. You see BMW with a turbo mid-range, similar to offerings you have had in the past. Do turbos fit on the top end now, or is that more of something left to other technologies like FSI, valvelift, etc.

Hoffmann: We haven't announced anything about that. But to answer shortly, yes. I think you will see something really exciting in the future with a turbo. Definitely.

Fourtitude: Will it be in the realistic realm, perhaps the B5 S4 or in the exotic realm like what the RS6 was in the past?

Hoffmann: It will be in a more of a high volume segment. You will see something nice in the near future. That is all I can say at the moment.

Is this the 3.2V6 TT? Sounds like it will be in the B8 A4. Cool!

Anyone has more details?

Lateknight
May 2nd, 2007, 12:50
I know the A3 is about to gain a 1.4 turbo engine of 125 ps output, but this seems hardly anything to get excited about.:confused:

tazsura
May 2nd, 2007, 15:52
What happend to the rumoured 2.5T 5cyl? :confused:

Taz :thumb:

RXBG
May 2nd, 2007, 16:05
i think the 5 cyl turbo will be the one coming up. for the TT. and likely the Q5.

Thrives
May 2nd, 2007, 16:07
@ Lateknight - Well, you know, it will be far better than the current 1.6 8v 101bhp (or even the 1.6 FSI 115 bhp) where I really think it is time to say R.I.P.

In Denmark, even the A4 is sold with the 1.6 8v engine :trash: ...

The new 1.4 TFSI engine is already running in the Touran with 150 bhp and 220 nm eh? How much torque will the 125 bhp version produce?

rqiu
May 3rd, 2007, 02:39
i think the 5 cyl turbo will be the one coming up. for the TT. and likely the Q5.

I heard it was cancelled. :nono:

RXBG
May 3rd, 2007, 18:30
I heard it was cancelled. :nono:

maybe the 3.2L V6 then. might it be an updated S5? it just doesn't make sense d**n it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he did say "volume" auto.

rqiu
May 3rd, 2007, 19:09
maybe the 3.2L V6 then. might it be an updated S5? it just doesn't make sense d**n it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he did say "volume" auto.

I hope it is for the A4 and A6. Audi should make a TT V6 to fight the BMW 300hp TT 3.0 I6. Something sits between the 3.2L FSI and 4.2L V8 FSI.

Leadfoot
May 3rd, 2007, 20:34
I hope it is for the A4 and A6. Audi should make a TT V6 to fight the BMW 300hp TT 3.0 I6. Something sits between the 3.2L FSI and 4.2L V8 FSI.

I think this is the logical choice of engines to build and in the long run will be able to replace the 4.2L v8 in the S4/5 with a higher tuned version of this engine.

Always if you haven't read EVO this month there was something wrote in the opening few sentences of the S5's first drive report. They happened upon the RS5 test mule and guess what, it had the unmistakable bark of a V10 and an estimated 500hp. :D

Now who in the BMW camp still feel confident about their deposit for the M3. ;)

rqiu
May 3rd, 2007, 20:41
Always if you haven't read EVO this month there was something wrote in the opening few sentences of the S5's first drive report. They happened upon the RS5 test mule and guess what, it had the unmistakable bark of a V10 and an estimated 500hp. :D

Now who in the BMW camp still feel confident about their deposit for the M3. ;)

Great! Way to go Audi! :dig:

RXBG
May 3rd, 2007, 20:55
sorry. i do not think in any way that the V10 would go into something the size of the A5/S5. why? just a hunch.

i'd prefer an updated 2.0 motor with 240 hp for the base A4, then an updated 3.2 TT with 300 hp for the base A5 in the US, and then a 4.5 L V8 with 380 hp for the S5, and then a TT V8 for the RS5 with maybe 475-500 hp.

problem audi has with the RS engines is that to make them cost effective they have to be applicable to more than just one car.

PeterJohn
May 3rd, 2007, 21:35
Considering the C63 will come with a 6.2l (not a typo), a 5.0 liter for the RS5 isn't far fetched.

It won't have to get its power from rpms like the RS4 engine, which means a better fuel economy. Displacement is also a more cost effective way of producing power, if you have the room for it.

Leadfoot
May 3rd, 2007, 22:28
sorry. i do not think in any way that the V10 would go into something the size of the A5/S5. why? just a hunch.

EVO

Tell you how my love affair with the Audi A5 started. I was in the Munich with BMW driving a 120d somewhere near the airport. It was cold under a grey blanket sky and had been snowing intermittently all morning. As I slowed for traffic backed up from a set of lights, a black blur, slashed through with the icy white glow of LED running lights, lunged out of a junction on the other side of the carriageway and accelerated hard down the road. It looked good and sounded better. In fact, it sounded a little like a Lamborghini Gallardo; that V10 soundtrack is as distinctive as it is addictive. The noise and vision mixed with the sudden realisation that what I'd just seen may have been an early running prototype of the RS5 genuinely gave me a small shudder of anticipation.

Lets hope he's right about that sound.:D

Lateknight
May 3rd, 2007, 23:30
I would imagine the V10 to be a very tight fit in an A5.
The S5 engine only comes with an inch or so gap between the V8 and the front panel. Don't see an extra pair of cylinders fitting in there.
Could be the sound of a Turbo 5 than rather than a V10 he heard. They do sound similar. Maybe an engine to fill the gap between the 3.2 V6 and the current S5.
I.M.O I still think the RS5 will be V8 powered. Its one of the worlds greatest engines.
Why not use it again?

rqiu
May 4th, 2007, 00:17
I.M.O I still think the RS5 will be V8 powered. Its one of the worlds greatest engines.
Why not use it again?

Because the V10 is better.

BSR
May 4th, 2007, 05:31
RS5 V8 log it.

V10 in there? i think that's crazy talk!

RB

Leadfoot
May 4th, 2007, 11:47
I would imagine the V10 to be a very tight fit in an A5.
The S5 engine only comes with an inch or so gap between the V8 and the front panel. Don't see an extra pair of cylinders fitting in there.
Could be the sound of a Turbo 5 than rather than a V10 he heard. They do sound similar. Maybe an engine to fill the gap between the 3.2 V6 and the current S5.
Why not use it again?

I haven't a problem with the V8 being used again but it will have to have an improvement in power and torque to stay ahead of the game. Mercedes C63 with either 475hp or 500hp and BMW will bring out a CSL version of the M3 with at least 440~450hp, so anything less than 450hp is a no go in my books.

But a V10 would still be nicer if possible.:thumb:

tazsura
May 4th, 2007, 11:56
Hmm I echo your thoghts Leadie.

I think the V8 will be sufficient with a few modest tweeks.

But with a V10 the RS5 would ANIHALATE the oppositon!

Taz :rs4kiss:

OfftheHeZie
May 5th, 2007, 04:10
The thought of Audi making the 4.2 V8 to handle the competition once again brings a huge smile to my face. :D
Think they could/will do it?

Is it possible the sound of a TT 4.2 V8 could be mistaken for a v10?:addict: I dream...

~Mason

Iceman
May 11th, 2007, 21:57
The RS5 will not have a V10 engine IMHO.
Audi just invest a lot in making the best steering chassie ever.
By putting in a V10 you will eliminate all the development of that.

The new turbo engine is a 3.2 litre V6 FSI valve-lift Bi-turbo.
The power output will be between 265 and 354 hp.

btw, the V10 of the Gallardo superleggera sound very much like a inline 5 turbo.

Hans.

Leadfoot
May 11th, 2007, 22:08
The RS5 will not have a V10 engine IMHO.
Audi just invest a lot in making the best steering chassie ever.
By putting in a V10 you will eliminate all the development of that.

The new turbo engine is a 3.2 litre V6 FSI valve-lift Bi-turbo.
The power output will be between 265 and 354 hp.

btw, the V10 of the Gallardo superleggera sound very much like a inline 5 turbo.

Hans.

I agree with this opinion Hans, the bigger V10 would destroy all the good work already done on the chassis, but I do reckon there were V10 versions tested just to see and this might have been what EVO hears.

The new V6 Bi-turbo is an interesting development which I hope will replace the V8 in the S5, no more power but a boarder torque band is always a plus and the tuning options are a plenty.

Is there any word on the 5cyl engine making it to the A4/5 models?

Iceman
May 11th, 2007, 22:17
Is there any word on the 5cyl engine making it to the A4/5 models?
Not to my knowledge.
The info i have is that the new in-line 5 cylinder turbo is developed for transeverse use only.
It will be used for TT, new A3 and Q3 and later on most likely in other transeverse VAG products.

Hans.

Leadfoot
May 11th, 2007, 23:26
Not to my knowledge.
The info i have is that the new in-line 5 cylinder turbo is developed for transeverse use only.
It will be used for TT, new A3 and Q3 and later on most likely in other transeverse VAG products.

Hans.

Shame that as I was hoping we were seeing a return to the classic 5cylinder noise Audi made famous in rallying.

Iceman
May 12th, 2007, 13:06
Audi is also testing a 450 hp 4.2 V8 FSI biturbo engine for the new RS5.

Hans.

Leadfoot
May 12th, 2007, 13:46
Audi is also testing a 450 hp 4.2 V8 FSI biturbo engine for the new RS5.

Hans.

So basically this will be a up to date version of the old RS6 unit with the addition of FSi. This is a logical choice especially with the RS6 getting a 580hp Bi-turbo unit itself, but my only problem is the power output, why will it only produce 450hp. That's only an improvement of 30hp over the current RS4, I personally believe if Audi do go down this route we will be seeing closer to 480hp or possibly 500hp to match the Black Series CLK.:hahahehe:

Iceman
May 12th, 2007, 13:54
I'm not saying it will only get 450 hp, i'm saying Audi is testing it with 450 hp.

Hans.

Lateknight
May 12th, 2007, 15:04
I'm not saying it will only get 450 hp, i'm saying Audi is testing it with 450 hp.

Hans.

Should also produce well in excess of 400lb/ft of torque (550Nm +), rather than the 317lb/ft torque the NA motor produces :thumb:

Imagine an RS6 plus engine (480 hp) in a smaller, better handling car that weighs less than 1700kg !
Power to weight not far from a 911 Turbo.

BYE BYE M3 :bye: :D

Leadfoot
May 12th, 2007, 15:07
Even with this rethink and re-engineering back to turbo power for the RS4/5 I still believe it will be here mid 2009 at the latest.

Has anyone heard what's the time scale for the M3v8 CSL, I reckon BMW will be needing it very soon if they are not to be left behind in the performance market. :hihi:

Leadfoot
May 12th, 2007, 15:25
Imagine the race.

M3v8 vs RS5 (480hp).

This is a list of actions and expressions that the M3 owner will experience during the race.
:revs: reving the engine ready for launch, :stick: if it's a SMG IV by then, he will be selecting M/button with LC, :incar: the race is go and he off driving for his life, :bigeyes: he watches with amazement as the RS5 walks off into the distance, :confused: he's confused, he believes the M3 is the ultimate driving machine, :race: the RS5 has already pass the finishing post a full 5 car lengths ahead, :cry: he know understands he have bought the wrong car and backed the wrong horse.

This is a list of actions and expressions that the RS5 owner will experience during the race.

:revs: reving the engine ready for launch, :incar: the race is go and he off on his Sunday driving, :hihi: he laughs a little as he starts to pull away, :lovl: the laughing turns uncontrollable, :race: the RS5 has already pass the finishing post, :burnout: he does a victory burnout in front of the crowd.

PeterJohn
May 12th, 2007, 18:09
CAR magazine says V8 BiTurbo.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/12/car-magazine-gets-the-skinny-on-the-audi-rs5/

Leadfoot
May 12th, 2007, 21:46
OK, I could live with 450hp if it was capable of mustering over 500ft/lbs of torque. I can't think of a single rival to live with this thing, in a straight or on the twisties.

Surely the Ultimate Audi.

quattro Gmbh
June 5th, 2007, 11:56
new info: I've just heard that it is going to be a twin-turbo engine with an additional supercharger.

Leadfoot
June 5th, 2007, 16:03
new info: I've just heard that it is going to be a twin-turbo engine with an additional supercharger.

This is a picture of the new bonnet design.
http://www.airstream.dk/Cam%20dragster%20michael_malmgren_1024.jpg

Though I'm not sure it will pass the latest pedestrian laws. :D

quattro Gmbh
June 5th, 2007, 16:27
LOL

but I'm serious:)

it's probably like the VW TSI system but with twin-turbos. this system can be used for future RS models.

Leadfoot
June 5th, 2007, 16:48
I wonder there all of this pipework is going to fit. But I will be all on for it as long as the thing is reliable.

PeterJohn
June 5th, 2007, 19:38
A supercharger isn't too hard to fit. Even with intercooling, you can just stick them on the cilinderhead.

Paul_rs4
June 6th, 2007, 12:06
How much Audi will give the buyer warranty for this car v8 TT+SC=100km warranty?

quattro Gmbh
June 6th, 2007, 20:20
vw says that tsi (turbo + supercharger) engines used in golf can run 300.000km without any problems.

so nothing to worry about.. they do not boost all together. supercharger runs at low rpm, two small turbo-chargers at high rpm, hopefully.

Paul_rs4
June 7th, 2007, 08:46
That is for an 1.4 liter engine not fsi tech, we are talking about an v8 fsi one!

Geist
June 8th, 2007, 12:49
That is for an 1.4 liter engine not fsi tech, we are talking about an v8 fsi one!

Sorry, but the 1.4 TSI engines do also use FSI technology.