PDA

View Full Version : UK price finalised for the M3 v8.

Leadfoot
April 25th, 2007, 12:11
The new M3 will cost you over £50K in the UK. So not only have BMW copied Audi on the power figure of the RS4 but the price as well. :hihi:

It will have to be something very special to justify the extra 17%+ over the out going model.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/country/gcf/newsID/2070425.001/bmw/new-bmw-m3-coupe-pricing-announced-uk

Clio16V
April 28th, 2007, 22:35
Here's another nice movie of the M3 on the ring!
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/GeneralFuture/articleId=120542

PeterJohn
April 29th, 2007, 07:43
With the 335i, and the Alpina B3, the move into a higher price segment does make sense.

It leaves the market kinda assymetrical, though. The Audi S5 now competes with the 335i, and the RS4 with the M3. Will the RS5 then compete with the C63, leaving BMW to think of a new badge name above the M?

Or will Audi manage to make an RS5 at RS4/M3 money.
- Dry sump engine from the R8.
- No need for an extensive chassis modification. The car is wide and balanced enough.
- Torque vectoring diff.
- Some badges.
Bobs' your uncle...

Leadfoot
April 29th, 2007, 11:33
With the 335i, and the Alpina B3, the move into a higher price segment does make sense.

It leaves the market kinda assymetrical, though. The Audi S5 now competes with the 335i, and the RS4 with the M3. Will the RS5 then compete with the C63, leaving BMW to think of a new badge name above the M?

Or will Audi manage to make an RS5 at RS4/M3 money.
- Dry sump engine from the R8.
- No need for an extensive chassis modification. The car is wide and balanced enough.
- Torque vectoring diff.
- Some badges.
Bobs' your uncle...

There is talk of the RS5 being out next year, believe it or not. I lot sooner than I would have thought so if true does this means it will be running a standard RS4 engine without mods.

You right about the chassis, it is right on the money regardless of the steering feel and ride which are both easily sorted with a less assisted system and magneticride suspension. Torque vectoring diff is the unknown factor as very little info is coming out of AUDI regarding the technology apart from what we already know.

One thing you aren't including in your options for making the RS5 is S-Tronic which is on the cards, my source has told me that they would like it for the RS6 but chances are it won't be ready in time from launch, does this mean it's still in development or more likely still in development to take the torque of the RS6 which in this case would be ready for the RS5's engine.

CAR state that AUDI are bring out the S5 with a 6sp auto, but why would they offer three gearbox options for one car, manual, auto and semi-auto. The S-Tronic does a very good job in auto mode compared to the competition so the need for the auto especially in a driver's car is silly, BMW don't do it so why should AUDI. Look at the A3 range and you don't see an overlap of gearboxes in the

skratch
April 29th, 2007, 15:17
Don't forget BMW always has the 3 little letters above the M badge name that will compete with the R cars.

3300lb M3 CSL with about 450 hp should do really well against any RS line,Heck even the old CSL still competes well.

Leadfoot
April 29th, 2007, 15:50
Don't forget BMW always has the 3 little letters above the M badge name that will compete with the R cars.

3300lb M3 CSL with about 450 hp should do really well against any RS line,Heck even the old CSL still competes well.

When do you see this CSL 3series coming out?

Nothing you are predicting isn't unobtainable, 450hp from the 4.0L is something that has been done from the last CSL and weight is again do-able with the increase of carbon-fibre but what will the price be when the last cost an extra 50% more than the last M3. That would put the new one at an unbelievable £75K and unless you put out-right ability ahead of everything else who would pick it over a R8 at the same price.

skratch
April 29th, 2007, 20:19
since the e90 M3 will go on sale in the states as an 09 I would think the csl will come out a year later.

You do know BMW is targeting CSL directly to GT3rs and way more expensive cars right?It is a full race/track car and the buyers could give a crap about snow or rain.

It will def make at least 450hp since that is 112hp/l,something that BMW can very well make.

oh and Im seriously sick of hearing the drive ability come into play...WE KNOW ITS A REAR WHELL DRIVE CAR.BMW has been making a hell of a lot of money selling them.The people looking at the CSL are not going to look at an R8 period...It is a full track car.

The old CSL made 361 hp and was a 3.2 inline 6

the gt3 rs is selling as for 130k Euros and good luck trying to pick one up at that.

Leadfoot
April 29th, 2007, 22:45
since the e90 M3 will go on sale in the states as an 09 I would think the csl will come out a year later.

So you are reckoning 2010 US which would put it 2009 in Europe. That sounds possible, but will this be before the M6CSL or after?

You do know BMW is targeting CSL directly to GT3rs and way more expensive cars right?It is a full race/track car and the buyers could give a crap about snow or rain.

Well I reckon your right, the kind of people looking at these cars don't regard the price as the most important factor when buying it.

It will def make at least 450hp since that is 112hp/l,something that BMW can very well make.

Couldn't agree more, they've done it before and will be able to done it again, especially with all it's F1 technology.;)

oh and Im seriously sick of hearing the drive ability come into play...WE KNOW ITS A REAR WHELL DRIVE CAR.BMW has been making a hell of a lot of money selling them.The people looking at the CSL are not going to look at an R8 period...It is a full track car.

Here again I agree, but only when it comes to the track and trackday cars, but skratch you are on an Audi site and you should realise that we will always put traction ahead of rwd.:D

Well that answers the question I always placed to sticky, the GT3RS wasn't a rival for the R8 even if their prices are similar and the same will be of the M3CSL.:D

The old CSL made 361 hp and was a 3.2 inline 6

the gt3 rs is selling as for 130k Euros and good luck trying to pick one up at that.

Sorry mate, in Europe it's a lot easier to buy at retail and depending on who you know discount is available.:looking: