PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Escape

brad
April 22nd, 2007, 11:09
Just had a lucky escape this evening, thought I would share it with you all.

Was heading home in late afternoon, traffic was medium so was giving the car the occasional squirt when the opportunity arose. At one point I noticed a VE SS commodore (big local sports car here in Aus - is going to be exported as new Pontiac G8 in US) behind me.

He seemed to be paying undue attention to me, so I slowed right down to see if he was a local law enforcement official. He seemed reluctant to pull alongside, but eventually did - I had a look over and he just looked like a regular guy. So I take off with the foot down and put some distance between us.

Sure enough though, he takes off too, and I'm thinking, "whats with this guy?". So I cut in and out of traffic for a bit, but hes still there. At this point I fear the worst. Sure enough, out come the blue and red flashing lights and he pulls me over.

His first words to me though are "Thats the second time I've heard that lovely exhaust note from your car, I've been following you since xxxx st." Goes on to explain that hes recorded me going quite a few kilometers over the limit, and that clearly I enjoy the torque of the rs4. The thing is, he cant keep this grin off his face - so I'm thinking "whats going to happen here?". In the end he basically tells me that I can accelerate as quick as I want, but - I should stop when I get to the speed limit. With that he starts walking back to his car.

I can't believe it, I go to walk back to my car, but then I hear him call me out, and I think "ok, here it comes". But what hes asking me is "Is that the car they had on Top Gear racing against the rock climbers?". To which I say yes. He then goes "Maybe it was beaten by the rock climbers but its still a magnificent car".

We leave each other all smiles. Cant believe my luck.

BTW - he was in uniform, how I didn't spot that when I glanced over still escapes me.

Ruergard
April 22nd, 2007, 11:34
That's some serious luck man, great to hear that everything wen't well! :thumb:

But I must agree with the police, the RS4 is a magnificent car! :rs4addict

OzRS4
April 22nd, 2007, 12:41
That was a nice story with happy ending! thx for sharing. What speed did you get up to with the cop behind?

btw, I'm picking up my RS4 this week and will be going down to Melbourne for a BMW driver training (2-days-level 3: Fascination racetrack 1) course on Philip island. Any chance we can organise a drive day with all the Victorian RS4 owners? Have you had a get together yet? I think one was organised in March???

Cheers,

brad
April 22nd, 2007, 13:19
That was a nice story with happy ending! thx for sharing. What speed did you get up to with the cop behind?

btw, I'm picking up my RS4 this week and will be going down to Melbourne for a BMW driver training (2-days-level 3: Fascination racetrack 1) course on Philip island. Any chance we can organise a drive day with all the Victorian RS4 owners? Have you had a get together yet? I think one was organised in March???

Cheers,

Hi mate,

Wasn't too quick, think I got to 100 in 80 zone, but he measured me at 94.

I'd be up for the drive day, I've not done one as I got my car only after the one the guys did it earlier in the year - think everyone has been busy with stuff since then.

BTW - enjoy the BMW training course, I did one quite a few years back and got a lot out of it. You should insist that you drive your RS4 though! :)

Brad

OzRS4
April 22nd, 2007, 13:43
You definitely had a Lucky Escape for getting out of a ticket for going 14km/hr more than the limit. hehe. It's a good thing the officer knows it's too easy to drive fast in a RS4.

Yes, I'm looking forward to the driver training. I figured if I'm gonna drive a car like the RS4, I better learn how to control it on the track. Hmm..wishful but I can only ask if they let me.hehe. I doubt it if I have the car's engine ran in by then though.

I'm gonna wait til I get my hands on the car first then will send email to the others for the drive day. I'm looking at Sunday 27th May.

jasaretta
April 22nd, 2007, 22:32
Nice work - ! :D

brad
April 23rd, 2007, 01:01
You definitely had a Lucky Escape for getting out of a ticket for going 14km/hr more than the limit. hehe. It's a good thing the officer knows it's too easy to drive fast in a RS4.

Yes, I'm looking forward to the driver training. I figured if I'm gonna drive a car like the RS4, I better learn how to control it on the track. Hmm..wishful but I can only ask if they let me.hehe. I doubt it if I have the car's engine ran in by then though.

I'm gonna wait til I get my hands on the car first then will send email to the others for the drive day. I'm looking at Sunday 27th May.

No problems. Thinking about the drive down from Sydney though, be careful not to sit on constant Revs for long periods until the engine is run in (at least 2000km). I actually drove up to sydney when I just got my car and was constantly changing from 3rd through to 6th the whole way to avoid this. Chews up the fuel a lot and is a pain for a 800km+ trip, but avoids the engine "bedding in" at fixed revs (engine will not be as sweet).

Brad

Mr.X
April 23rd, 2007, 07:34
Hi Brad, since you mentioned a few things about running the car in, i was wondering if you could tell me a little bit more about how to properly run the car in; as i am expecting a new one to be delivered soon. Any help would be great- thanks :0:

OzRS4
April 23rd, 2007, 13:04
No problems. Thinking about the drive down from Sydney though, be careful not to sit on constant Revs for long periods until the engine is run in (at least 2000km). I actually drove up to sydney when I just got my car and was constantly changing from 3rd through to 6th the whole way to avoid this. Chews up the fuel a lot and is a pain for a 800km+ trip, but avoids the engine "bedding in" at fixed revs (engine will not be as sweet).

Brad
Thanks for the tip Brad. I'm hoping to do about 2000kms before I head down to Melbourne. Out of curiosity, when you constantly changed gears from 3rd to 6th...how did you manage to keep to rev down to the limit doing 3rd gear at 110km/hr? The rpm would be more than 4000rpm???

cheers, QT