PDA

View Full Version : R8 comparison test in German Auto Zeitung

KresoF1
April 20th, 2007, 16:04
...against F430F1 and 997 turbo TIP.

R8 numbers...

0-100km/h: 4.5s
0-200km/h:15.2s

End conclusion is that R8 is not at the level of other two cars...

BTW, article is crap IMHO...

Leadfoot
April 20th, 2007, 16:29
How can a much heavier less powerful car match the other two based on performance, how did it compare against them on the other disciplines like cornering, braking, balance etc.?

Though I must say these times are not much better than some times already seen for a RS4.

PeterJohn
April 20th, 2007, 16:38
Do they throw it in between these supercars, b/c of how it looks? I think a Maserati GT, Carrera 4S, Vantage V8, Jaguar XKR,... are more in line with the market segment. Kind of a useless comparison.

tazsura
April 20th, 2007, 16:42
A pointless article :(

Audi is/was not aiming for these cars with the R8!! When will these magazines get it in their heads!!

Taz :rs4kiss:

Damienr8
April 20th, 2007, 16:44
Wow what a useless article, why are people making such absurd comparisons?

Example of Next Article:
"We put the New FIAT against the Pagani Zonda....The Zonda won by a mile." ...

Leadfoot
April 20th, 2007, 16:55
Do they throw it in between these supercars, b/c of how it looks? I think a Maserati GT, Carrera 4S, Vantage V8, Jaguar XKR,... are more in line with the market segment. Kind of a useless comparison.

Again PeterJohn, very nicely put.:applause:

Ruergard
April 20th, 2007, 18:36
Why do they even compare them? So that they can show that Audi has "failed"? No, put the R8 up against it's real rivals and wait for the bigger engine to handle with those cars.

PeterJohn, you actually seem like a good guy. Though, your're still driving a beemer. ;)

KresoF1
April 20th, 2007, 18:46
How can a much heavier less powerful car match the other two based on performance, how did it compare against them on the other disciplines like cornering, braking, balance etc.?

Though I must say these times are not much better than some times already seen for a RS4.

They said that R8 is too soft and not sporty enough...
Why they compare it with F430 and 997 turbo? Well, blame is purely on Audi itself! They claim that R8 is "Supersports car" in most of their current R8 adverts.

R8 is not and will never be a "Supersports car", at least IMHO...

And few other things regarding potential Nordschleife time of R8... Audi claim that R8 is around 10s slower then Gallardo MY08 and further 15s slower then Gallardo Superleggera... How will it then brake 8.00min time? With 420hp and around 1600kg? Magnetic Ride is a compromise, not a track tool.

Do not get me wrong, I still like R8 but, Gallardo will always be a better, more focused true sportscar(in fact Gallardo is Supersports car IMHO)...

With new Porsche ownership over VAG you simply won't see R8 faster then any Gallardo...

Leadfoot
April 20th, 2007, 18:52
KresoF1,

You said it, the R8 isn't a track tool and the ring isn't a racing track, that is why it will get close to the 8:00 time, unofficial the R8 has been clocked at 7:50 in much the same way as the RS4 did a 7:58, working on that assumption that would mean the R8 will post a 8:01, but ever the optimist I believe 8:00 is on the cards.

KresoF1
April 20th, 2007, 19:20
KresoF1,

You said it, the R8 isn't a track tool and the ring isn't a racing track, that is why it will get close to the 8:00 time, unofficial the R8 has been clocked at 7:50 in much the same way as the RS4 did a 7:58, working on that assumption that would mean the R8 will post a 8:01, but ever the optimist I believe 8:00 is on the cards.

Let's hope you are right!:thumb:

RXBG
April 20th, 2007, 19:28
They said that R8 is too soft and not sporty enough...
Why they compare it with F430 and 997 turbo? Well, blame is purely on Audi itself! They claim that R8 is "Supersports car" in most of their current R8 adverts.

R8 is not and will never be a "Supersports car", at least IMHO...

And few other things regarding potential Nordschleife time of R8... Audi claim that R8 is around 10s slower then Gallardo MY08 and further 15s slower then Gallardo Superleggera... How will it then brake 8.00min time? With 420hp and around 1600kg? Magnetic Ride is a compromise, not a track tool.

Do not get me wrong, I still like R8 but, Gallardo will always be a better, more focused true sportscar(in fact Gallardo is Supersports car IMHO)...

With new Porsche ownership over VAG you simply won't see R8 faster then any Gallardo...

no blame there. a manufacturer can say what it wants about a car. in the end a purely objective comparo should be based on numbers.

based on power, weight, and expense (or 2 out of those three) the R8 should be compared to the 997S X50 (why does no mag ever make that comparo- aaarrgh!), vantage, maybe the M6, SL, maser coupe... esp the limited edition model. my cousin has one of those and it is quite a ride.

Mori
April 21st, 2007, 03:03
Actually the R8 vs 911 Turbo its a good comparison price-wise and power-wise. Both are around 110K euro and both have 480HP.

You can't say the Audi is heavier because of luxuries, because the Porsche has most if not all of what you can get in the Audi.

Lets face it - the 911 Turbo was developed for a looooooong time, and it is close to perfection. The R8 is Audi's first mid-engined car, granted its based on the Gallardo, but thats not been around for long either. Its not going to beat everything out there on its debut.

The R8 has however other things which are desirable. Style is definately one, the midengine layout and neutral handling, and I'm sure its very refined overall. Its more of a supercar-GT compromise IMHO.

Iceman
April 21st, 2007, 04:01
The R8 not have 480 hp just 420 hp.
You have to wait for the 5.2 litre V10 FSI engine to have 480 hp.

Hans.

Mori
April 21st, 2007, 04:05
The R8 not have 480 hp just 420 hp.
You have to wait for the 5.2 litre V10 FSI engine to have 480 hp.

Hans.

There ya go - I'm already thinking into the future. ;) Sorry - too many drinks tonight. Anyway - its more comparable to the GT3 in terms of power I guess.

El_cucaracha
April 21st, 2007, 11:54
i don't think that 5.2 litre V10 480 hp will be much faster that 4.2 V8 one. they just have to make very light V10 and if they won't, it would be too heavy and 480hp will not be enough for driving over 300km/h and for sure it won't make 8.00 at all. i think that they need more hps...
(sorry for bad english)

RXBG
April 21st, 2007, 13:55
i don't think that 5.2 litre V10 480 hp will be much faster that 4.2 V8 one. they just have to make very light V10 and if they won't, it would be too heavy and 480hp will not be enough for driving over 300km/h and for sure it won't make 8.00 at all. i think that they need more hps...
(sorry for bad english)

torque is what will make it faster, i think.

Leadfoot
April 21st, 2007, 14:29
Lets compare the R8 with the Gallardo for a moment. Some there feel that though it is an older design and doesn't have the trick suspension options that the R8 has it is still the better car based on the fact that it is a little lighter and have more power.

We know the lateral Gs that the R8 can pull but does anyone know what the Gallardo is capable of as this will in the most simplest form see if indeed all of Audi's efforts have actually achieved something.

You see if I'm indeed right and the R8 has a higher G rating then one can assume that it will be able to corner faster than the Gallardo and with the exception of the one very long straight that is on the ring, cornering speed into, through and out of it the most important thing to achieving a good time. This is why I believe the R8 will get closer than anyone outside of Quattro GmbH thought possible. For every gain the Gallardo has down every short straight it's lost to the R8 in the corners and quite possibly under braking as well so that leaves the long straight, now think if you can that they are approaching the final corner before this straight at the same time, this is quite a long corner so if the R8 can indeed corner better then it will have an advantage coming on to the straight first and at a slightly higher speed.

Question - How soon will the Gallardo catch and over take the R8 and how much of a lead will it have at the end of the straight in meters and seconds.

You see I think the R8 will be a little quicker up to this point then the Lambo, maybe 2~3 seconds so if the Gallardo can only put out an extra 6~8 seconds over this straight you can understand why I feel confident about the R8's ability to post a sub 8 minute time.

Mori
April 21st, 2007, 14:36
Back and sober. :)

While I think that the 911s are indeed sportscars, you have to admit the R8 while not being a GT, has many of its traits.

Personally, I don't really care which car is faster. The Lambo, 911 or R8 - if you and your neighbor both have one, it will be down mostly to the driver on the track. Hell - your neighbor can have a Veyron but it won't matter if he's a sunday driver.

So basically we're talking bragging rights here. :) Let the discussion continue because I'm curious of R8 lateral acceleration figures vs. the 911 and Gallardo.

KresoF1
April 21st, 2007, 15:04
Lets compare the R8 with the Gallardo for a moment. Some there feel that though it is an older design and doesn't have the trick suspension options that the R8 has it is still the better car based on the fact that it is a little lighter and have more power.

We know the lateral Gs that the R8 can pull but does anyone know what the Gallardo is capable of as this will in the most simplest form see if indeed all of Audi's efforts have actually achieved something.

You see if I'm indeed right and the R8 has a higher G rating then one can assume that it will be able to corner faster than the Gallardo and with the exception of the one very long straight that is on the ring, cornering speed into, through and out of it the most important thing to achieving a good time. This is why I believe the R8 will get closer than anyone outside of Quattro GmbH thought possible. For every gain the Gallardo has down every short straight it's lost to the R8 in the corners and quite possibly under braking as well so that leaves the long straight, now think if you can that they are approaching the final corner before this straight at the same time, this is quite a long corner so if the R8 can indeed corner better then it will have an advantage coming on to the straight first and at a slightly higher speed.

Question - How soon will the Gallardo catch and over take the R8 and how much of a lead will it have at the end of the straight in meters and seconds.

You see I think the R8 will be a little quicker up to this point then the Lambo, maybe 2~3 seconds so if the Gallardo can only put out an extra 6~8 seconds over this straight you can understand why I feel confident about the R8's ability to post a sub 8 minute time.

Gallardo can achive 1.3g-1.35g with Pirelli Corsa tires...
Shorter wheelbase is another advantage in corners...

BTW, Sport Auto will test R8 very soon(its sister magazine AMS already tested it-it will be published next week. Numbers are not impressive...) and then you will see Ring time around 8.01-8.03min...

Leadfoot
April 21st, 2007, 17:21
Gallardo can achive 1.3g-1.35g with Pirelli Corsa tires...
Shorter wheelbase is another advantage in corners...

BTW, Sport Auto will test R8 very soon(its sister magazine AMS already tested it-it will be published next week. Numbers are not impressive...) and then you will see Ring time around 8.01-8.03min...

Those are impressive rating but was the R8 on the same tyres, because the talk I have heard coming out of Quattro GmbH is that the R8 out-classes the chassis of the Gallardo. Does this meant with regards to ride quality combined with handling but is it ultimate grip, I don't know but with the cars it has been designed to complete with the R8 is street ahead.

From a karting back ground I do understand the benefits of a shorter wheelbase, but there is more to it than just that, suspension and tyres play a bigger role.