PDA

View Full Version : Who ever said Porsche designers were lazy.

Leadfoot
April 19th, 2007, 17:10
I always thought that Porsche were the laziest designer in the industry but BMW has taken that crown with the new CS Concept. They must have thought, 'How can we design a car very cheaply' and this is it.

http://blog.worldcarfans.com/index.cfm/8070419.002/blog-bmw-cs-concept-revealed

What's you're opinion.

Ruergard
April 19th, 2007, 17:42
Can't agree more.. that just looks.... bad.

PeterJohn
April 19th, 2007, 17:47
I know Jeremy said it, but I disagree. The Porsche design goes all the way back to pre-war Tatra (VW Beetle was a Tatra). They have to make it fit all the modern regulations, production and aerodynamic demands. Yet it still must be instantly recognised as a 911. But it also has to make the previous 911 look outdated, otherwise people won't make the switch. The Porsche designers have the most difficult job in the industry, IMO.

Imagine you had to make an E-Type that is modern in every way, yet still looks like an E-Type. Can't be done.

On topic, I like the concept.

MPT
April 19th, 2007, 18:25
I know Jeremy said it, but I disagree. The Porsche design goes all the way back to pre-war Tatra (VW Beetle was a Tatra). They have to make it fit all the modern regulations, production and aerodynamic demands. Yet it still must be instantly recognised as a 911. But it also has to make the previous 911 look outdated, otherwise people won't make the switch. The Porsche designers have the most difficult job in the industry, IMO.

Imagine you had to make an E-Type that is modern in every way, yet still looks like an E-Type. Can't be done.

Am i the only one to think of the new Audi TT, then ?.. sincerely a true masterpiece :)

Regarding the concept, from the side of the car it looks amazing!

Leadfoot
April 19th, 2007, 19:30

PeterJohn,

I think you and I has to good understanding going and generally agree on most things but to say you like this concept amazes me. They have stole the Aston Martin's design which looked silly, to stretch a DB9 and add a couple more doors doesn't make it a masterpiece and the same goes for this CS concept of BMW's.

As for Porsche designers having the hardest job, agreed that the 911 has to look new with every evolving version without detracting from the old model, but look at the rest of the range, the Boxster and Cayman both look like the 911 and as for the Cayenne why place a 911 nose on the thing in the first place, no other company tried to make their SUVs look identical to the rest of the range. In fact it's their engineers that have the hardest job, making the Cayenne so good that even with those looks people will still want to buy one.

Benman
April 19th, 2007, 20:35
PeterJohn,

I think you and I has to good understanding going and generally agree on most things but to say you like this concept amazes me. They have stole the Aston Martin's design...

Agree, this is a sad immitation of the AM.

Ben:addict:

PeterJohn
April 19th, 2007, 21:52
I liked the Aston Martin concept. I like the Cayenne too.

http://www.autoblog.nl/images/wp2007/Porsche%20Cayenne%20TECHART%20MAGNUM%20de%20Sede-2.jpg

The BMW looks sleek and sharp. Very refreshing, since most modern cars have a heavy rounded look. I always liked the 70ties sharp lines better. MKI Golf versus MKV. I love the front too. Lots of character. Not pretty, but pretty is what a woman should be. It's better to have a ugly mug with lots of character, than some generic unoffensive face.

Leadfoot
April 19th, 2007, 22:33
From someone who's brother has had a few Cayennes the best view of a Cayenne is the view looking out from the inside.

As for woman should only be pretty, sorry I disagree again SEXY is the word you were looking for. But the ulgy mug bits is spot on, as is the Mk1 Golf.

skratch
April 20th, 2007, 04:46
The car is just to long looking.The front and sides are pretty ugly but that rear end is to die for.That back shot looks sexy to me lol

PeterJohn
April 20th, 2007, 06:23
They look alike b/c both are mid-engined 4door Coupés. The BMW has a much more balanced look, b/c of the short nose. In comparison, the Aston looks like one of those American custom companies cut a DB9 in half, and stuck some more doors on.

http://www.autoblog.nl/images/wp/Aston%20Martin%20Rapide%20side.jpg

http://www.autoblog.nl/images/wp2007/bmw_cs_concept9.jpg

Look at that face on the Bimmer. It's like some wild animal. Small eyes so they don't get injured in the imminent attack. Big nostrels to let a lot of air in, to fuel a vicious assualt. Sharp nose like shark. It's mighty.

Leadfoot
April 20th, 2007, 08:20
At present there is only one big 4dr coupe that looks right and that's the CLS and the only one that looks it might be a contender is the Audi A7, all the rest including the Porsche just look awkward.

PeterJohn, I do see the wild animal looks in the CS concept so here again we are in agreement, it just the two animals we see are different.

You look at it and see a shark. I look at it and see a wart-hog.

Sorry mate.

PeterJohn
April 20th, 2007, 14:54
That's alright. If everyone liked it the same, I would probably be a boring car. And that's worse than being ugly.

I hope they put it in production just like that.

There were rumours for years about a 4door coupé from Audi. Before the CLS came along. I heard it was very close to production, but with all the management changes, it never made it. Depending on how close to production this Bimmer is, it looks like Audi missed the niche boat again. They could've claimed first.

BTW, I very much doubt the report that it will get an M5 V10 plus 2 cylinders to make a high revving V12. It would be the first 90° V12 ever in the history of the combustion engine.

If the A7 gets the V12 TDI, then that's an easy choice.

rokke
April 21st, 2007, 07:09
this bmw CS concept (thats what it called here in germany) will never come even nearly to the CLS....the CLS is just like jeremy clarkson said: "its epic"

The RS6
April 22nd, 2007, 22:15
When I saw it my first thought was...

New Charger Headlights:
http://www.ramairhood.com/images/ram_air_hoods/dodge/charger/dodge_charger.jpg

Am I the only one who can see the similarity? :jlol:

tazsura
April 23rd, 2007, 10:42
Hmmm, i don't mind it soo much. The rear aspect looks v.good IMO. I'm sure this is more of a pointer toward the next 7, rather than any new model of the CLS/A7 ilk.

Taz :race: