PDA

View Full Version : R8 on the Nurburgring

MR USER
April 13th, 2007, 11:31
On monday I will be with Audi Driving experience having fun on the Nurburgring with the R8

I will post pics as soon as possible.... I also have a digital camera but the in car mount did not arrive in time. So teh quality will not be the best you have seen so far....

Anyone else coming?

roadrunner
April 15th, 2007, 14:17
Have fun :thumb: and keep us posted on your observations regarding driving dynamics and power and so forth.

Driving an R8 on the Nordschleife, how much better can it get :applause:

greetings
seb.

MR USER
April 17th, 2007, 11:00
Here we are... the first few pics of the event... Videos will follow!!!

MR USER
April 17th, 2007, 11:03
Some more images...

Qriouz
April 17th, 2007, 11:23
so, how was it??? :D

Ruergard
April 17th, 2007, 11:40
Damn you lucky man!! :thumb:

SO, how was that beauty to drive? :love: :incar:

Leadfoot
April 17th, 2007, 12:40
MR USER,

How can you left us with only pictures and no comments. That like showing a kid sweets in a candy store and not going in.

Please reply soon.

MR USER
April 17th, 2007, 13:05
And some other!

MR USER
April 17th, 2007, 13:18
And some other.....

MR USER
April 17th, 2007, 13:26
As all of you mentioned so far.... I must post some comments.... but not yet!

before any comment SOME MORE PICTURES!!!!

MR USER
April 17th, 2007, 13:29
But I definitely will post some comments... probably a lot of them.... but after some more pictures!!!!

MR USER
April 17th, 2007, 13:32
This is the last few pic from me... THere will be a new user soon that will post a lot more.... as he was there too!!!

Comments will follow!!

roadrunner
April 17th, 2007, 14:17
MR USER - you are the master of suspense. :jlol:

throw us some bones to play with :bow:

one more request - maybe i am the only one: but bigger is better :thumb:

can we manage BIGGER pictures someday?

greetings
seb.

MR USER
April 17th, 2007, 14:55
Amytime! if you tell me how to upload them full size!!! I'll be very happy to do so!

They are about 32 megs in total....

After work I will start writing something about the whole weekend...

So far just on thing "FUN TASTIC"

Auto
April 17th, 2007, 15:55
www.imageshack.us

Benman
April 17th, 2007, 16:38
Fantastic! Now we need that review!

Ben:addict:

Damienr8
April 17th, 2007, 16:42
So Goddamn Sexy, its unREAL :love:

MR USER
April 17th, 2007, 18:59
So here we are....

Where should I start if not from the beginning!
Meeting in holland with some friends... I live 850 km away! Saturday morning 8.30 I jump in the black RS sitting in my garage... and the jurney starts.
250km of slow siwss roads before reaching basel an crossing the border to the limitless Autobahn state: Germany, home of the legendary nurburgring!

Unfortunately the speed limits in Switzerland are not as generous as the german one so it took quite some time to get there. Once the border is behind me i think... MM time to try my car that just go delimited.... I was so wrong! Traffic for he next 600 km! Average speed lower than 100!

16.30 PM arrive in Maastrict. Meeting with friends lot of beer.

CENSORED

Sunday Morning wake up at a reasonable 10 am for bfast and the rest of the usual stuff. Try to get my friend up but no way.... The F1 GP will start soon and we have quite some km to eat before lunch! Violence is required!
On the road crusing towards Kerpen where the MSC (MR Schumacher) started his career.
We decided to watch the GP there to pay our homage to the greatest ever, here in his temple!

There found he bday gift for my old man.... a F1 model more or less 1 m long and 5 kg heavy signed by HIM!!!

Got the gadget so is time t go! (if you did not see it Massa 1st, Hamilton -he is a monster - 2nd and Kimi 3rd)

Nordschleife here we come!!!!

1hour of maniac driving after we are buying out tickets to lap the Ring... my friend is a first timer and we enter with 2 cars... I'm the rabbit he's following.
Nice but my brakes are still there and I'm not happy! He drops his bimmer and jumps in. Seatbelt on and second lap... then a third... then a fourth! Pads wearing light on. Brakes ratlling enough to unscrew every part of my car but boy isn't it fun??? I love this place! The concentration of nutters and petrolheads here is unique... cannot be described... just go there!

But hold on may be you do not give a dam abotu this whole weekend thing? may be you just want to konw about the Audi Racetrack Experience with the R8? Is that Right?

Well then Read on!!!

MR USER
April 17th, 2007, 19:28
It all started when we got this: The magic Badge!

MR USER
April 17th, 2007, 21:59
We got the Standard briefing with a technical description of the vehicle and a presentation of the most innnovative features of the vehicle. You all konww evarey detail already! Magnetic Ride Spaceframe chassis... and so on.

Then the cars.... As you can see from the pics the just look fantastic. and live they are even better. They have such a magnetic presence and a really menacing stance.

There were 22 cars with E-gear and only 5/6 with manual (reserved for the instructors only). We all got closer and started to admire the details and the craftmanship present in each one of them. They were simply stunning. The silence among the participants walking up and down the pit lane of the nurburgring was xpressing fully the eotions going through each one of us. we know we were in presence of something quite special. then the first engine rumble..... speachless!!!! and i'm used to the RS4 with her throaty sound... even experienced he millteck of Webbah during the RSunday in Sitzerland... well this engine just sounds and feels different...

We jump in the cars and start familiarising ourselves with the different functions of the buttond present in the cockpit... then 3.....2......1..... the radio cracks and rattle through the cockpit an the voice of the "Rabbit" instructore says: now we go! Engage the first gear by using the right button placed confortably behind the steering wheel and down with the gas pedal. In the first lap we warmed up the fluids and satrted feeling how the car felt in terms of throttle response and steering imput. then while learning the course we played with some of the car functions.

In groups of 4 cars they showed us teh course section by section and by the end of the morning all we were looking for was just lapping freely as they promised us !!

By the second section I was already trying the Launch control (Engage first. keep the left foot on the brake push the ESP once to disengage ASR and press the sport button, push the gas pedal to the end and when ready release the brake) not bad but no massive wheelspin as I was hoping... The car gets all the power down in millisenconds and you find yourself in the redzone easily as most of the rs4 user have experienced while using their car hard.
Thus ad the sound note the power delivery is also different. it just feels a lot faster in any gear like if there is more torque to play with... may be is just the reduction in weight..? then it comes the gear chaging... here I have to day that I'm no fan of these semiautomatic or electroactuated boxes... this one is not bad at all, fast responsive but the extra pedal just gives me more satisfaction... in sport mode is just brutal. if the gearchange takes place under hard accelerarion between 5k and 6k rpm it feels like a train has jutst crashed the rear of the car.. a sudden push, violent and noisy. on the other hand if he same manouver is done @ 8k rpm if much faster, smoother. the violence is turned into aggression and brutal pwer delivery. The torque of the engine is no longer forcing his way throught the transmission but just keeing all its components in a balance of perfect traction. Savage accelerations are possible with this car. It's eating meters of tarmac like it's drinking high octane unleaded.

Erik
April 17th, 2007, 22:03
A friend of mine is going next week.

Thanks a lot for your story and pics!

MR USER
April 17th, 2007, 22:13
The smooth delivery of the engine together with the superb quattro give you the confidence to nail it from the first moment you put your concreate right foot on the pedal. the adrenaline, the sound, the pleasure of such an exilarating acceleration make your right foot heavier and heavier... till you see the wall in front of you! then you step on the brake to find yourself restrained by the seatbelt. Your eyes want to pop and you experience the power of hard deceleration. The standard brakes are transparent, they give you loads of feeling and earn your trust by proving themselves wotrhy of saving your life in case of emergency. the car feels fine even when braking in corners... is there for you every moment responding like it's supposed to. There are no unpredictable snaps no jerky reactions. just loads of power smoothly controled by the driver imput. Don't get me wrong... this is no grandma's mobille... is just doing what every sportcar is supposed to do!!! give you loads of confidence to exploit its limits fully, openly, with no hidden trick!

THen we come to the dinamics of the car.
The chassis is rigid and responsive, it interacts well with the other components. the magnetic ride is really firm and really confortable. its reactions are not going against the nature of the car dinamics, they are not intrusive, actaully quite the opposite!

MR USER
April 17th, 2007, 22:15
powerdrifting and high speed cornering... tomorrow!

MR USER
April 18th, 2007, 22:47
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvlVcrF_XUM

This is the first video....

Fab
April 19th, 2007, 11:21
Great Mr. Well done :wo:

MR USER
April 22nd, 2007, 19:58
The next Vid!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyx1eqotrYU

jinglis
April 23rd, 2007, 00:28
Excellent...looks like you were having fun, I know I'm jealous.

Especially enjoyed the comment 'bump him for fucks sake'

BSR
April 23rd, 2007, 00:37
:0::0::0::0::0::0::0:

:incar: Thanks a bunch, keep it comin!

RB

Leadfoot
April 23rd, 2007, 07:59
When I saw the video for the first few seconds I thought, hey Mr User is not that bad behind the wheel. That is until I saw the camera turn round and showed the ugliest face with the silliest expression and then realised it was you. :hihi:

Does this sound like someone who is a little jealous. ;)

Great video, thanks for that. :thumb:

MR USER
April 23rd, 2007, 12:45
THanks Leadie.... but i'm a much better driver than that... my friend has got some skills but he is a first timer...

As for the face... well that is me!!! and yes it's been oads of fun!

El_cucaracha
April 23rd, 2007, 16:04
MR USER have anybody made a fool lap and timed it.... if yes what was the time..?

MR USER
April 23rd, 2007, 17:08
I went fast but no timing.... There was no point as in certain high speed pats they just wouldnt take the risk of letting us do it our way. But I can see the time from some of the full lap videos we did.. I will try to compress them and post them on youtube!

QuattroFun
April 23rd, 2007, 20:19
Great report and vids - many thx for sharing!

Leadfoot
April 23rd, 2007, 23:25
I went fast but no timing.... There was no point as in certain high speed pats they just wouldnt take the risk of letting us do it our way. But I can see the time from some of the full lap videos we did.. I will try to compress them and post them on youtube!

Well has the car on the whole impressed you enough to rate it fit to mixes it with the big names like Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini or is it just an average driver's car that's no better than a RS4 but with a better looking body. :eye:

MR USER
April 24th, 2007, 07:13
It's much more fun than an RS4... Understeer is not there to remind you you should be driving in safe mode... The way it handles and the speed it carries around bends are much higher than its little sister. Although they share a similar engine the sound and performances are quite different. At high speed it's easyer to handle than a porsche. On a mountain road it will be a lot faster then an RS4 and way easyer to drive @ the limit than a Ferrari 360. That is probaly it's best feture... the ease and the confidence it gives you when you want to explore the limit. Once there the steering feedback is very intuitive and playing with the throttle is a charm! to do that you have to switch off the electronics (asr) a least a little...

I do not know if people will choose it over another sportcar... but if they do not I believe the reason will not be the lack of peformance... but rather the redical look!

Funtastic car!