PDA

View Full Version : B8 A4....

Tanner
April 13th, 2007, 05:09
Okay not an S or RS here but a guy in Montreal here supposedly has some friends elsewhere and perhaps ties back into Audi... he mentions of a rumour that the next A4 will have an engine option that includes a forced-induction V6 putting out 330hp. Anybody here heard of such a rumour?

SuperstarDriver
April 13th, 2007, 16:12
wow...that's hot...i never heard of it before!maybe it will!:D

MPT
April 13th, 2007, 17:29
I almost havent got any information on the new B8 A4, but i would say that it's very unlikely, that a 330hp turbo-V6 would be made. It would be too close to the S4.

Actually, no matter where you look, you find NOTHING on the new B8 S4. Considering this is going to be the model Audi makes most money on, i think it's strange no rumors have been made, or info has leaked from Audi.

Anybody who knows just SOMETHING on the upcoming A4 ?

Kind regards.

Tanner
April 13th, 2007, 17:57
Two "sources" mentioned something similar of a forced induction V6, one has close ties to MTM and another back with Audi I'm guessing.

We probably haven't heard a lot of this partly because this would more or less make the V8 redundant, so guessing that Audi could be either waiting to retire the current 4.2L or upgrade it significantly.

guessWHO
April 13th, 2007, 20:24
They will have the same engines like on A5. You can see that on A5 the only engine available now is the 3.0 TDI. That's because A5 has the same engines with A4 B8 and if they reveal all engines on A5, nobody would buy the A4 B7 because they would expect the A4 B8 ;)

Leadfoot
April 13th, 2007, 21:52
If this is indeed true then this engine will replace the current S4 and the new S5 engine or something that we have heard rumours about, that the 4.2Lv8 will be upgraded to 380hp at the time or shortly after the A4's launch.

RXBG
April 13th, 2007, 22:11
doesn't make sense that audi would change the A5/S5 engines so soon after launch. maybe in a year or two. sadly, i think the B8 A4 engines will remain as in the A5.

IF this postulated V6 TT came to happen it would make the S4/S5 engine obsolete. a 4.5 L V8 (which we've heard of) would be needed. why not have shown it in geneva? the new A4 would only be a few months away and it would not hurt current A4 sales.....

Geist
April 14th, 2007, 00:40
Okay not an S or RS here but a guy in Montreal here supposedly has some friends elsewhere and perhaps ties back into Audi... he mentions of a rumour that the next A4 will have an engine option that includes a forced-induction V6 putting out 330hp. Anybody here heard of such a rumour?

I can "confirm" this.
Not the power output but the V6 Twinturbo.

I work for an automotive supplier and some of our departments may produce parts for the new engine.
I don't know which, neither would/could I reveal them but the project title I saw was "Audi B8 V6 Biturbo".
Sorry, no more info.

PeterJohn
April 14th, 2007, 08:01
Good news.

I suspect it's the new variable turbos for gasoline engines that allow Audi to go back to their roots, yet keep the smooth character of a big atmospheric engine. This will be Audis 335i. BMW was able to fit a sequential turbo set up, b/c the L6 has all the exhausts on one side. Not an option for the Audi layout, so they had to wait for technology to catch up with ambitions.

With a dynamic platform to match the potential of an Audi turbo car, we're probably going to see some interesting stuff wearing four meshed rings. I bet Roland Mayer is chronically salvatating as we speak.

Leadfoot
April 14th, 2007, 11:52
This is the sort of news that myself and Hans have been wishing for, alas it doesn't sound like it will be for the S4/5 but a lower model.

PeterJohn, I thought the 335d was the only turbo-changed unit that had a sequential turbo set up, does the 335i not run a single turbo unit to each thre clyinders?

Geist
April 14th, 2007, 14:53
This is the sort of news that myself and Hans have been wishing for, alas it doesn't sound like it will be for the S4/5 but a lower model.

PeterJohn, I thought the 335d was the only turbo-changed unit that had a sequential turbo set up, does the 335i not run a single turbo unit to each thre clyinders?

You're right:
335i - two equal turbos. each one attached to three cylinders.
335d - one small, one big turbo in sequential set up. every turbo gets its exhaust gases from all six cylinders.

PeterJohn
April 14th, 2007, 18:09
I stand corrected.

In that case, I have no clue why Audi departed from turbos. Marketing? Or was it a platform strategy, b/c variations of the V8 are found throughout the Audi lineup? Either way, happy to see the turbines making a comeback.

Leadfoot
April 14th, 2007, 18:51
I totally agree with you PeterJohn and now that BMW has once again joined the turbo club there shouldn't be the digging remarks that turbo power is unacceptable in a driver's car from some groups. I must say that I loved my big N/A S4v8, it provided all the power and torque but in a package that was on the large size and didn't return the economy that a smaller turbo unit would have, never mind the extra tuning ability.

The 335i is right up there with the very best turbo units I have ever driven and the equal of any Audi unit including the S3, but I would like to sample a new v6 Bi-turbo unit from Audi to see if they are still capable of mastering this fine art.

I assume the new RS6 will be our first chance to see on that front.

QuattroFun
April 14th, 2007, 19:41
I have had a S3 MkI MTM - flawed but fun! The RS6 MkI was not dynamically much good in IHMO, but its engine remains a true highlight even today. It is PC to talk about emissions and fuel consumption and fashionable to talk about engine weight and dynamics. Still, attached to the proper car, a V10 5.0 TT wins an just about equally powerful - but more frugal and torguey - V12 TDI any day in my books since both engines are purely emotional anyway. The VW TSI like 1.4L seems interesting as a concept and the numbers look good. To me, small (< 2L) - economy and useability - and large (> 4L) - power and torque - force-fed petrol engines make sense. There is nothing exciting about a 335i or 3.2T FSI - here a 3.0 TDI or 335d is the way to go if one wants torque and Valvetronic in a NA if one wants bhp...