PDA

View Full Version : Cold starts?

brad
April 13th, 2007, 04:25
Hi guys,

Just wondering whether other people get the same problem as this.

On cold mornings, I find that when starting the car (RS4 of course) it often doesn't start first go. I push the starter button and it turns over a little bit but then dies down. On second attempt it always starts.

Do other people get this? Pushing the accelerator during the start seems to alleviate the problem, but I would expect not to have to do this.

Brad

BryanF
April 13th, 2007, 10:14
Hi Brad

I trust your still enjoying your "2007 World Performance Car " !!!

Much better than any BMW.

I haven't been in Vic much lately... need to organise our drive day in the very near future.OZRs4 should have his by now.

I have experienced the problem you mentioned and took it back to Audi. They uploaded some new software ...problem solved.

21,000 kms on and I still in so much love that I've sold my 911 C4S !!

BryanF

OzRS4
April 13th, 2007, 10:51
Hi Brad & BryanF,

Unfortunately, I can't tell you much about your cold start problem Brad coz Im still waiting for mine...but guys the good news it is arriving Sydney dock next Monday!!!!! and my dealer has aksed Audi Aust for an "urgent delivery" request so I should be picking the phantom black beast before Anzac Day. I've blocked off a few days off work that week to "run it in" hehe. I am sure you all know how I feel right now...

Cheers.

Charles DLF
April 13th, 2007, 11:28
hi all, interestingly i have the same problem with my A3 and the S6... I guess it's an audi problem...

jasaretta
April 14th, 2007, 00:22
Never had a problem (touch wood).

BigRick
April 14th, 2007, 02:04
Never had the problem... but I don't have the start button :(
I know that's really not helping anyone :doh:

My advice would really be to have it checked. From what I understood of the FSI technology it's not a good thing that the engine starts and stops like you're describing. I might be retarded but can't that spoil the oil?

KK265
April 14th, 2007, 08:24
Hi guys,

Just wondering whether other people get the same problem as this.

On cold mornings, I find that when starting the car (RS4 of course) it often doesn't start first go. I push the starter button and it turns over a little bit but then dies down. On second attempt it always starts.

Do other people get this? Pushing the accelerator during the start seems to alleviate the problem, but I would expect not to have to do this.

Brad

I had also the problem when the car was new but i installed new software and everything is ok.I think allthough that it stopped itself alone before the installation of the software.The problem was not allways.I am not sure.But now it is ok.I had another problem with the voltage (reached 16.1 v) and replaced the dynamotor under warranty.

BigRick
April 14th, 2007, 14:23
I would really like to know what that sofware update does. How can I tell which version's running in my car?

andreasm
April 14th, 2007, 15:11
The current ECU software version is 070, ask your Audi dealer about it. I have this software version since 2 weeks.

KK265
April 14th, 2007, 15:37
The current ECU software version is 070, ask your Audi dealer about it. I have this software version since 2 weeks.
Did you upgrade the ECU-de limited that you have (280km v-max)?My dealer told me that is impossible.Did you see any differences from previous version?When are you going for Audi-training day?I am waiting the e-mail from factory..

andreasm
April 14th, 2007, 16:08
Yes, I have the de-limited ECU for Quattro GmbH, and the update to the new ECU software version 070 was no problem.

I had this bad engine start problem sporadically on cold winter days. This problem should be fixed with this software version. Unfortunately I can not check if the bad engine start problem is gone, we have currently over 25 degree Celsius in Germany, it’s to warm to reproduce the problem :-)

KK265
April 14th, 2007, 16:48
Yes, I have the de-limited ECU for Quattro GmbH, and the update to the new ECU software version 070 was no problem.

I had this bad engine start problem sporadically on cold winter days. This problem should be fixed with this software version. Unfortunately I can not check if the bad engine start problem is gone, we have currently over 25 degree Celsius in Germany, it’s to warm to reproduce the problem :-)
Did you see any performance difference?My car could not accept version 060.I will ask for 070 version.Now is running on 040.Perhaps i will meet you on RS4 day in Germany.

andreasm
April 14th, 2007, 17:24
I have heard that the software update should also solve some performance issues, but I don’t have any performance issues. I don’t feel any differences after the software update.

Which “RS4 day” do you mean? The Audi Driving Experience event?
I still have a voucher for a RS4 Driving Experience race track training, but Audi has told me that there is no RS4 training this summer; an I can use my voucher for the R8 race track training :-)

KK265
April 14th, 2007, 17:29
I have heard that the software update should also solve some performance issues, but I don’t have any performance issues. I don’t feel any differences after the software update.

Which “RS4 day” do you mean? The Audi Driving Experience event?
I still have a voucher for a RS4 Driving Experience race track training, but Audi has told me that there is no RS4 training this summer; an I can use my voucher for the R8 race track training :-)
Yes that day i mean.I am waiting for my voucher from Christmas....I would like more an R8 race track day!!!Thank you for the info.If you know exact days tell me.

andreasm
April 14th, 2007, 18:47
Yes that day i mean.I am waiting for my voucher from Christmas....I would like more an R8 race track day!!!Thank you for the info.If you know exact days tell me.

This is the link with the German dates for the R8 driving experience race track events for Summer 2007:
http://www.audi.de/audi/de/de2/erlebniswelt/fahrerlebnis/audi_driving_experience/rennstreckentrainings/erlebnis_rennstrecke.html

unfortunately , the website say “Ausgebucht”, means "booked up"

KK265
April 14th, 2007, 20:28
This is the link with the German dates for the R8 driving experience race track events for Summer 2007:
http://www.audi.de/audi/de/de2/erlebniswelt/fahrerlebnis/audi_driving_experience/rennstreckentrainings/erlebnis_rennstrecke.html

What day is your voucher please?

andreasm
April 15th, 2007, 18:06
There is no date on the voucher, you have the free choice. I have booked the event at the Hockenheimring (04.06 - 05.06.)

AusRS4Avant
April 25th, 2007, 04:44
Hi Brad,

had the same problem with my RS4 Avant and took it back to the dealer and as BryanF said, uploaded some new software and the problem seems to have gone...

John

brad
April 26th, 2007, 03:42
Hi Brad,

had the same problem with my RS4 Avant and took it back to the dealer and as BryanF said, uploaded some new software and the problem seems to have gone...

John

Thans John, thanks Brian,

Car goes in next Thursday to get software upgrade plus some other minor stuff.

As for running in the car Mr X and OSRS4, gave my two cents on another thread you are noth on:

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11811

Brad

KK265
April 26th, 2007, 08:21

My voucher came!!!I think i will book Barcelona circuit.

Mori
April 26th, 2007, 12:34
I have the same problem with the engine dying. No solution yet. How do I check which software version is installed in mine?