PDA

View Full Version : New RS6 - Not coming to North America?

wankeldude
April 4th, 2007, 00:18
Don't know if this was covered in another thread or not, but I feel very sad...I have heard from a source that has been 100% accurate in the past that unless the American Audi dealers commit to 3000 RS6's, it will NOT be coming stateside.

As for right now, they are not even close to being close.

:vgrumpy:

vec110
April 4th, 2007, 01:17
you cant be serious

chewym
April 4th, 2007, 02:36
Doesn't make much sense. First the S6 and the S8 came over here. Audi will at best sell about a thousand of each per year. Yes, the process to sell cars in the Us is costly, but apparently it was all good with the S6 and S8. Now last time Audi sold like 8,000 RS6s or something. Do they expect US to buy 1/3-1/2 of all RS6s this time. The new RS6 should be about S8 price, or a bit more. I am sure that Audi could sell 1,000 or so this time around. The RS6 project must cost some money and not selling it in the US is losing a lot of potential market.

Does anyone have US vs. total RS6 sales?

Also, as the poster is from Canada, what does North America mean. No RS6s for North America at all, or no RS6s for Canada?

Obviously this is some major info.

wankeldude
April 4th, 2007, 06:25
I believe there were under 200 RS6's sold in Canada 2003 and 2004. Canada is a very small market so everything "North America" is really based on the United States. Canadian cars are for the most part identical to US vehicles (with some small exceptions to bumpers, speedo, and DRL) If the car doesn't make it to the states, it will also not make it to Canada.

S6 sales have not been great thus far which is why there is a question about whether or not it will be coming over.

I hope to god it will as I don't know where what else to go to from my RS4.

RXBG
April 4th, 2007, 14:17
dealers will commit. they committed to the R8 with its ridiculous selling requirements (my dealer is even buying a bigger building just to meet those requirements). the RS6 will come.

it HAS to! :)

moldowan
April 5th, 2007, 09:17
this is very interesting; i just got a call from my dealer (I'm #1 on the list here for the new rs6) and he said that he got back from AZ. and audi was introducing them to the R8 (testing driving and seminar)
He asked about the rs6 and was told basicly the same thing " audi didn't sell enough rs6's 1st time around and won't bring new one to usa"
he said that it took almost 2 years to unload all new rs6's off dealers lot in 2003.
Personally I can't see how audi will let amg and M cars take all the market share in the usa. Just for the "visability" aspect of the brand!
with all the new news in the last 3 weeks about the test mules etc... we know there WILL be a new rs6.... but if it does'nt come state side that will really be a let down.
Now AMG will eventally TT there 63 motor and that should put there cars in the 600hp range so that is some consolation AND the new clk63 BLACK will be coming here too!!!!
-moldy

RXBG
April 5th, 2007, 13:13
this is very interesting; i just got a call from my dealer (I'm #1 on the list here for the new rs6) and he said that he got back from AZ. and audi was introducing them to the R8 (testing driving and seminar)
He asked about the rs6 and was told basicly the same thing " audi didn't sell enough rs6's 1st time around and won't bring new one to usa"
he said that it took almost 2 years to unload all new rs6's off dealers lot in 2003.
Personally I can't see how audi will let amg and M cars take all the market share in the usa. Just for the "visability" aspect of the brand!
with all the new news in the last 3 weeks about the test mules etc... we know there WILL be a new rs6.... but if it does'nt come state side that will really be a let down.
Now AMG will eventally TT there 63 motor and that should put there cars in the 600hp range so that is some consolation AND the new clk63 BLACK will be coming here too!!!!
-moldy

true. i don't doubt the new RS6 will make it to the USA but in how many quantities is a different question. they might do what mb does.. bring it over in very small quantities. problem with first car was that it was very overpriced and audi was up and coming. now that audi has hit the big time, on fire with the R8, they should have no trouble selling the RS6, especially if it comes over in limited quantities

chewym
April 5th, 2007, 21:01
This is where the hp number will come to play. The RS6 will be more expensive than the M5. Early estimates put it above the S8 and below the R8. I actually think it should be a bit below the S8 @around 90,000. People would more likely buy the RS6 over the M5/E63 (and accept the price premium) if it has more power. Like 580 hp versus 500 in the two other.

gjg
April 5th, 2007, 21:30
Avant would do well in US

wankeldude
April 5th, 2007, 22:34
it costs a great deal of money to make the rs6 a north american car as opposed to european. I really hope it makes it though.

chewym
April 6th, 2007, 02:47
it costs a great deal of money to make the rs6 a north american car as opposed to european. I really hope it makes it though.

I know that, but the S6/S8/RS4 are here. Plus, the Avant for sure is not coming over as that wouldn't sell. But the sedan should.

Audiphile
April 6th, 2007, 04:01
RS6 has to come, otherwise it doesn't make sense from Audi's current market plan for the US market in terms of brand differentiation and building. If the R8 is here, so will the RS6. It has history in the States and the RS/S quattro GmbH vehicles have developed the type of prestige and snob appeal that Audi is bringing to this market. It would make no real business sense for Audi not to bring the RS6 here in terms of the long term.

Lateknight
April 6th, 2007, 04:45
I can't see Audi N.A passing up on the opportunity to import the forthcoming RS6 unless there is some type approval problem specific to the American market.

Audi sales in the states are up nearly 15% on last year. They need to keep pushing the sales of the upper range models to be able to be profitable in a notoriously tough market. Sales of cooking models only ain't putting food on the table.
Even if RS6 sales are only measured in the hundreds it will have a 'halo' effect on the rest of the A6 range, which should increase sales of this ageing model, and have a knock on effect to other models.

It would be a shame for you guys to miss out on what could quite possibly be the most powerfull production Audi EVER ! :love:

absent
April 6th, 2007, 05:41
I can't see Audi N.A passing up on the opportunity to import the forthcoming RS6 unless there is some type approval problem specific to the American market.

Audi sales in the states are up nearly 15% on last year. They need to keep pushing the sales of the upper range models to be able to be profitable in a notoriously tough market. Sales of cooking models only ain't putting food on the table.
Even if RS6 sales are only measured in the hundreds it will have a 'halo' effect on the rest of the A6 range, which should increase sales of this ageing model, and have a knock on effect to other models.

It would be a shame for you guys to miss out on what could quite possibly be the most powerfull production Audi EVER ! :love:
It would not be very wise from a business point of view (not bringing RS6 to US)
but I would not be surprised either.
I know for a fact that a lot of Audi top execs are still resenting US market and buying public for the '86/'87 fiasco of "unintended acceleration",even though 20 years have passed since.
At the time they were very close to completely abandon our market.

wankeldude
April 6th, 2007, 06:31
All we can do is pray. I have no doubt in my mind that the vehicle will be nothing short of extraordinary. Can you imagine what a little bit of tuning could do to a turbo V8 or V10?

I really don't think 700hp would be out of the realm of possibility with just an ECU re-program. Even if this car weighs in at 4200 lbs (which I think would be reasonable to assume) it would have a better horsepower to weight ratio than a new Z06 at those numbers.

Can you even imagine that in an all wheel drive?

Okay, I have to stop now...need to go clean up.

Leadfoot
April 7th, 2007, 09:44
Think about it for a moment.:vhmmm:

North America is BMW's biggest market for M models, they even added a manual gearbox to the M5 just because NA wanted it so important is it to keep you guys happy. So why in heaven's name would Audi miss an opportunity to win sales from BMW's M5 by not bringing the RS6 to the US?:eye:

With the exception of the UK, the RS models are regarded equally if not better than their M and AMG counterparts so logically with what we have learned about the power and estimated torque figures of the RS6 Audi has every chance of pulling huge sales gains from BMW in all markets including BMW biggest market.:thumb:

moldowan
April 7th, 2007, 21:29
why in the uk are they not as highly regarded???
I remember that bullshido about the unintended acceleration. my folks had a s5000 in fact it was my mothers favorite car shes ever owned-LOL
I wouldn't be surpised that the top brass are still sore about that... I know i would still hold a grudge!!! That crap took 10 plus years for audi to recover from. Just from a few bullshit suburban moms f*&cked up on OTC drugs running over there own kids.
I was going to put a deposit down on a the clk63 black today but got word that its gonna run $135,000 so I'll wait for the rs6 and get myself that used 360 instead now
-moldy

Audiphile
April 8th, 2007, 04:34
I do not think that Audi brass are still interested in the false unintended accelaration. The new management wasn't even around then. Another way of looking at the North American market vs. Europe and the rest of the world is to look at it from Audi's marketing and brand perspective. Audi has over the last 15 years been building its premium reputation one market at a time. Audi's initial goal of preeminance has been to establish itself at home first and foremost. Audi has done that quite well and is the leader in Europe in many respects, and definitely one of the top dogs among Tier 1. Audi then turned its attention to its global ambitions, and this is what we are witnessing right now. The American market has had missteps and neglected leadership (including poor management and poor control of dealers' behaviour) because Audi had been focusing it efforts in Europe and in Asia. However, many top brass have stated recently that Audi is now completely focused on three major markets - All of Asia (including India and Austrialia), the Middle East such UAE where they are doing very well, and the most importantl of all - the US. Then followed by the rest of the Americas and South Africa. This strategy is sound as a strong Audi in Europe benefits us in the long run. The RS6 will come because it makes only sense if you look at Audi's global ambitions to be the number one premium marquee, and they will get there at this rate. In March 2007, Audi set unmatched global records in all markets moving over 103,000 units in one month - 03/07. In the UK, Audi moved 12,000 units (BMW and MB only sold 6500 each) (02/07) and in 03/07 Audi sold 19,500 in the UK, so I am not sure where the comment regarding the RS/S vs. M and AMG comes from. I doubt that this is true unless you are BMW fanboy living in that fantasy world (just as BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer-"... faced with clear evidence of advancing Audi sales and premium status, he was recently quoted as saying to Automotive News that Audi is not a threat..." Talk about being out of touch with reality). His product is getting slammed by Audi product in all areas at this time. Audi is also reporting one of the highest capital return on investments in the automotive industry - 14.7% (Audi), 11% (BMW), 9%(MB)...not to mention being flush with cash.

As of 02/07 Audi is moving closer to BMW globally with year to 02/07 sales up 9% at 144,000 vs. BMW's 166,098, up 3%. This does not take into account March (2007) where Audi sales increased another 10% to 103,000 units just for March alone. So, again, the RS6 will come to the US. It is a market that from Audi's status and ego is not tolerable at the present state.

rks838
April 8th, 2007, 07:51
The problem with the last RS6 was Audi's fault. They brought over ~860 RS6s and sold them fairly quickly. Many buyers came to the showrooms, only to be told, "sorry, they're all gone." So, Audi decides to bring an extra 200 over...MONTHS later. By now, all remaining prospective buyers have been told to go find another car to buy. So, only some knew that there were suddenly 200 extra RS6s around the country. And many of them had, by this time, bought new cars. So yes, there were many RS6s lying around in summer 2004, a year after they first came over.

I bought my RS6 at this time, for $15K below MSRP. They were DESPERATE. Even if it's obvious that this was Audi's fault, dealers do not like not selling at those prices. Apparently the invoice for these cars was around $76,000...so, even though it doesn't make much sense, some dealers may cringe when they hear about the new RS6, and may not want it coming over here. Maybe...hopefully this is just a crazy rumor...because what I just said, having just written it, wouldn't sound convincing if I was an Audi exec listening this argument (and others) from American dealers...

Leadfoot
April 8th, 2007, 10:48
rks838,

This sounds very similar to the UK's experience of the RS4 MK1, to memory Audi only brought over less than 1000 (can't remember the exact number) and they all sold out right away. This works for car companies like Porsche and Ferrari, keep a limited supply so the model will not only hold a better second-hand value but also extend the model's life longer than a mainstream brand.

I personally enjoyed a better resale price on my S4 than my brother-in-law with his M3 even though his car cost an extra £3K after extras and I put this solely down to the fact that there is less Audi S4s in the UK than M3. Go to Autotrader (national internet car advertising site) and you will find a tenth of the number of S4s compared to M3s, all of which helps keep the prices up.

It a very fine line between meeting demand and over supply, in the UK I think Audi have it right and BMW don't but in the US I wouldn't think even 5,000 RS6 would be over supply so come on Audi, give the guys what they want.

sparkhill
April 10th, 2007, 06:01
The problem with the last RS6 was Audi's fault. They brought over ~860 RS6s and sold them fairly quickly... So, Audi decides to bring an extra 200 over...MONTHS later.

You hit the nail on the head! I was initially turned off by the dealers wanting $10K over MSRP, even after I had been on the list for over a year. I waited until summer of '04 and paid about $14K under MSRP also.

Another problem with the C5 RS6 was that it was somewhat of a dated car when it came out. The styling was pretty similar to the 4.2 A6. It was last year's Audi with a phenomenal engine stuffed under the hood. Audi made multiple missteps.

Now, look at how they have done with the RS4... Their goal was to sell 2000 cars in the US during a 2007/2008 production run. They have already sold 1300 cars and we are still a few months away from the MY '08 cars being delivered. It is because the RS4, performs well and looks great. Audi has also done a great job marketing it to the auto press. Done right, they could sell lots of RS6's.

Leadfoot
April 10th, 2007, 06:26
You hit the nail on the head! I was initially turned off by the dealers wanting $10K over MSRP, even after I had been on the list for over a year. I waited until summer of '04 and paid about $14K under MSRP also.

Another problem with the C5 RS6 was that it was somewhat of a dated car when it came out. The styling was pretty similar to the 4.2 A6. It was last year's Audi with a phenomenal engine stuffed under the hood. Audi made multiple missteps.

Now, look at how they have done with the RS4... Their goal was to sell 2000 cars in the US during a 2007/2008 production run. They have already sold 1300 cars and we are still a few months away from the MY '08 cars being delivered. It is because the RS4, performs well and looks great. Audi has also done a great job marketing it to the auto press. Done right, they could sell lots of RS6's.

Explain how a main dealer can charge over retail on a product? I would have thought Audi controlled the price.

absent
April 10th, 2007, 12:56
Explain how a main dealer can charge over retail on a product? I would have thought Audi controlled the price.

No legal control here:
MSRP= Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price
That's the price posted on the window when it comes from AudiUsa to Dealer who in turn can add whatever he pleases if the car is hot.

Leadfoot
April 10th, 2007, 13:12
That is ridiculous, I wouldn't pay over the odd for anything regardless how much I wanted it. The US government needs to get their act together and sort this type of thing out, it's different for a non-dealership branded dealer selling a Audi/BMW etc for more than the suggested price but not an Audi dealer, he is there representing the company not ripping off their customers.:nono:

sparkhill
April 10th, 2007, 13:20

They simply said, "If you want an RS6, the price will be $10,000 [or whatever number they chose] over MSRP." The excuse was that it was necessary to defer the costs of becoming a RS6 certified dealership. It was common in the U.S. when the RS6 first came out. Many of the auto dealers here add a "market adjustment" charge which is just an excuse to gouge the customers.

BSR
April 10th, 2007, 22:42
No RS6 for the states?

i'll bet that will be true.

RB

vec110
April 10th, 2007, 23:02
That is ridiculous, I wouldn't pay over the odd for anything regardless how much I wanted it. The US government needs to get their act together and sort this type of thing out, it's different for a non-dealership branded dealer selling a Audi/BMW etc for more than the suggested price but not an Audi dealer, he is there representing the company not ripping off their customers.:nono:

my local ford dealership sold a GT for 100k over list price. the sticker on the car said 150 and it sold for 250k!!!! thats just someone with too much money and a little brain!