PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice, buying RS4

RS6-dreamer
April 1st, 2007, 23:24
Hello,

I'm looking to buy an RS4 2.7biturbo, chipped to 420hp.

It's from year2001 with 133000kms, until 120000kms gone to Audi-dealership.
Since 2005 (128000km) was it second-owner and he did only 5000km in two years.

The care looks and drives OK.... but I've seen a minim(little) oil leak between engine and transmission, also at front left-side (oilfilter)??

Have someone experience with it???

And at what should I spent more time to controle.... are they costs that I can expect in the coming kilometers...?

Thanks in advance.

Slayaah
April 2nd, 2007, 20:32
The care looks and drives OK.... but I've seen a minim(little) oil leak between engine and transmission, also at front left-side (oilfilter)??

Have someone experience with it???

And at what should I spent more time to controle.... are they costs that I can expect in the coming kilometers...?

Thanks in advance.

Hi!

I actually were just in the choice of buying RS4 b5 or S4 b5 so found out somethings you should check. The oil-layer, how thick is it? Is it worse then just covering the metal? I can tell you if it doesn't drop the the ground it isn't a problem, more then cosmetic anyway. It's probably just the gasket between the transmission and the engine who needs to be replaced.. It's not expensive to fix, if you do it yourself, but be prepared because you need to lift out the engine to do it.. after my experience, it's no idea with shortcuts because it always takes longer time then really take it all down and make it easy for you to change.

Front-left side, is it around the gasket as I have or is it around the oilfilter? Perhaps the last owner changes oil more often then the audi service-plan (which is good), and he didn't put some oil on the rubbergasket on the new oilfilter, then it will leak some.

Have you checked the matainence book? Double checked everything with audi dealer? Because everything is stored in their system and every audi dealer can check the car up!

Something you should listen careful after is ticking sound from the valves, because some of the RS4 owners here in Sweden have had a lot of problem with something they think just goes away with changing the oil, but the Rs4 has problems so that ticking sound just getting worse..really fast and you will end up changing cam-gears, cams, valvesprings, valves. And there is 30 of them.. I think they said audi took about 6000 euro for it! Never ever let audi do anything larger job more then matainence if you can do it yourself, because they take a lot of money just because you always need to take out the engine, sure it's a lot of work but it's not that difficult if you have access to a shop and some tools 'n stuff! Check if you have the oil leak from the rear diff, on the right side.. a lot of audis get it.

I think the timing-belt,waterpump, tensioning rolls and so on should be changed every 60000km on the Rs4, so you know what you should do at 180000 km :) And the multi-belts at 150000km but not nearly as expensive as the timingbelt to change so don't worry about it. Check the brakes to, the rotors are quite expensive..

I did the choice to buy an S4 just cause the problem to find a nice one here in Sweden and the cost twice as much, but the Rs4's width is so much more neat then the S4's.. but you can always rebuild =)

But I have the feeling I will regret the choice sooner or later and go and buy an Rs4 or 6 later on :)