PDA

View Full Version : New RS 6, what transmision ?

AndyBG
March 26th, 2007, 23:51
In this moment, for me, bigger dilema, from that what engine new RS 6 is going to have is, transmision.

Personaly, I would, most of all, like 6 speed manual, but I don;t see that one coming.

Quick poll on your opinions and anything else you know about that.

AndyBG
March 27th, 2007, 13:20
I expected more opinions... :vhmmm:

MPT
March 27th, 2007, 14:07
I'm quite sure it will be a tiptronic.

Maybe even a new 7-speed, designet for the RS6.

A manual would be great, but it just doesn't "do it" in this range of cars (M5, E55 AMG aso.)

nene
March 27th, 2007, 14:18
I think the DSG will make it in. Lovely if it were manual though.

Lateknight
March 27th, 2007, 23:02
6 speed Tiptronic auto. Cheapest to engineer for lots of power. :addict:

Unless they have plans to do S-tronic in other high performance Audis (A4/5/6/8)in the near future, this would be too expensive an option for such a comparative small number of cars.
Shame!

skiwi
March 28th, 2007, 06:23
wondering if it would be the debut of the dsg transmission for the other longitudional engined cars...

Benman
March 28th, 2007, 16:28
I voted Tip although I'd love to see a DSG style trannie in there...

Ben:addict:

matth76
April 9th, 2007, 16:07
Manual would be brilliant.

andrewket
April 9th, 2007, 16:15
In this moment, for me, bigger dilema, from that what engine new RS 6 is going to have is, transmision.

Personaly, I would, most of all, like 6 speed manual, but I don;t see that one coming.

Quick poll on your opinions and anything else you know about that.

Is the poll what WE WANT it to have or what we THINK IT WILL have?

-A

Leadfoot
April 9th, 2007, 16:31
I feel the same way as Lateknight, a 6sp Tiptronic. There is little or not benefit engineering a 7sp unless their really do decide to go without a speed limiter. Think about it, the M5/6 have 7 gears but the final 2 gears both hit the limiter, what is the use of 7 gears unless you delete the limiter and allow the car to achieve it true top speed and acceleration is only improved if the gears are tighter stacked forgoing the true top speed of the car.

RS246
April 10th, 2007, 20:07
I also belive that we just will get a new traditional 6 speed tiptonic.
But it would just be heaven if we got a dsg box in this car.
I dont belive that DSG will be an option yet. In that case it migth also be a option for later on the exsisiting S6 v10 ?

skiwi
April 10th, 2007, 20:18
what might help is that some have reported that the longitudinal dsg transmission will be avaiable as an option on the q5 (suggesting that the engineering has been done).

QuattroFun
April 10th, 2007, 20:22
Tiptronic - and as only choice!

Marcus Frost
April 10th, 2007, 21:59
What about a version of the "R-Tronic" offered in the R8? I'm not very familiar with the technical aspects of it, so I am wondering if it's a possibility?

-m

skiwi
April 11th, 2007, 08:11
no the "r-tronic" is a rear-mounted transaxle (longitudional) based strongly on the lambo viscous awd unit...

SuperstarDriver
April 11th, 2007, 09:27
like i said before the new RS6 will have Tiptronic S special developed transmition, no 6 speed manual cause it can't handle 585HP and no DSG in the same way...not supporting that kind of power!Tiptronic S will be faster than the SMG III as it has been told to me by my friends, a little bit slower than the DSG but quite fast for it!

skiwi
April 14th, 2007, 06:47
it's not really a "specially developed" transmission. it is a standard zf 6-speed, but the new iteration of the unit with 100ms shifting times. soon coming to a bmw near you...

the shifts are supposed to be "unperceivable"

Leadfoot
April 14th, 2007, 12:01
it's not really a "specially developed" transmission. it is a standard zf 6-speed, but the new iteration of the unit with 100ms shifting times. soon coming to a bmw near you...

the shifts are supposed to be "unperceivable"

Actually the current 3 series already has this new technology and all reviews say it is a huge improvement over the old system and not that far off the likes of SMGIII and other semi-automatics, but I don't think this statement includes DSG but I could be wrong.

QuattroFun
April 14th, 2007, 19:52
Standard ZF box yes, but programmed for each car's engine characteristics - that is why the same box in different cars can get different reviews in comparison tests...