PDA

View Full Version : A Guide for Audi's RS models (?)

Thrives
March 26th, 2007, 08:20
HI all,

This is my first post here and I before I get into my topic for this one I should perhaps introduce myself. I am Danish and I am currently studying in Copenhagen. With a student's revenue coupled with car prices in Denmark Audis RS/S models represent nothing but a very faint glimmer in the future I must sat, yet I keep on dreaming of course :).

So the topic for today of course is an all time favourite here at RS6.Com where I have been lurking for a while now. So on the new RS models from Audi check out this article from Motortrend ... (hat tip http://www.germancarblog.com/2007/03/audi-joining-horsepower-war.html)

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2007/112_news070401_audi_amps_up_rs_trend/

Pretty much as we expected I would say and this confirms that Audi pretty much will be using engines 'off the shelf' for their next RS models. Whether these information is reliable is of course another question but it sounds reasonable I think. The RS5 with RS4's V8 is more dubious in my opinion since if it is really to come out in more than two years a lot can happen. I am sure the engine will be the same core machine but perhaps with a few tweaks. On the RS6, I also think (c.f. the other thread on this) that a V10 N/A will be the outcome. And the TT RS? well, who knows? This info suggests a heavy powered version of the 2.0 TFSI engine, i.e. the S3 model.

So there you have it ... the guide to future RS models?

And before I leave you I want to point you to the Germancarblog.com (http://www.germancarblog.com) written by an Audi employee and brining a steady flow of news on the VAG models. Definitely worth a bookmark. Oh, of course you may already know this one and in that case, disregard this one.

Cheers

Thrives

Bingocaller
March 26th, 2007, 15:15
Cant help u there but welcome onboard!

May I ask what you are studying?

Thrives
March 26th, 2007, 20:52
Hi,

I thought that I had seen some Danish blokes in here ...

I am studying at the Copenhagen Business School ... economics and finance.

... and thanks for the welcome.

Bingocaller
March 26th, 2007, 21:50
Nice to see a fellow CBS Student in here! You will find hours of exiting information here, friendly members who are not afraid to share their experiences and a common admiration for superb automotive engineering. Once again welcome

MPT
March 27th, 2007, 15:00
I welcome you to the forum, and hope you will enjoy it as much as i have so far.

I don't find what you say irrelevant, but i would like to know what you are asking us about. is it whether we find the atricles above true or false, our oppinions on upcoming S- and RSmodels or something else ?

Regarding the new "S- RSmodels" you mentioned above, i think/know that the new RS6 will have a high rev V10 with around 520hp, and that the "TT-S" as some call it, will most likely have a 2.0T (that's not 100% sure yet), with around 300hp, and that it will weigh around what a normal 2.0T does now. Of course i have more informations about these cars, but mostly you talked about the engines, so that was what i focused on. :)

Maybe off topic, but i just have to come with my oppinion, and agreeing with you, that the prices on danish cars is way to high. After buying a car in Denmark comes 25%VAT and about 180% tax + license-plates, invironmental control charge and of course our very expensive petrol. Many families can only afford an old car, with poor safety and bad environmentally friendliness.
- What do people on this forum think of this ? (price example: Audi A4 sedan 2.0T quattro costs 96.558 USD, a Q7 4.2 240.590 USD and a RS4 avant 285.000 USD :0:).

Kind regards.

Leadfoot
March 27th, 2007, 16:16
Can you not buy cars second-hand from a neighbouring country with paying all the above extra charges or is this not possible?

It is a bum deal if you ask me.

MPT
March 27th, 2007, 18:22
Can you not buy cars second-hand from a neighbouring country with paying all the above extra charges or is this not possible?

It is a bum deal if you ask me.

i you buy a second hand car from another country, you still have to pay an extreme amount of tax. In some older cars you could save some money (if you buy it with a lot of extra equipment).
Denmark is actually one of the cheapest countries to buy the car (without anything extra like tax). That's why germans some times import more expensive cars from Denmark, and buy them without tax.

Of course danes are not pleased with these taxes, and there are lots of other solutions to the problem money-wise. This could be something like greater invironmental control charge for cars with larger fuel consumption, highway-taxes of some sort (for example like Austria) etc. This will heighten the safety-level of the cars (fewer accidents, with less people badly injured) and of course less CO2 led into the air hence fewer older cars would be in the streets.

Kind regards.

Iceman
March 27th, 2007, 18:53
I don't hope for a high output 2.0T FSI as a TTS or TTRS engine.
I still hope for a 2.5T FSI 5 cylinder engine return with ± 330 hp.
Even with 280-300 hp i will choose the R5 turbo over the 2.0T FSI.
A inline 5 cylinder is a engine with a lot more potential then a 2.0T.
And most important is that it will also sounds 10x better then a 2.0T.

Hans.

Lateknight
March 27th, 2007, 19:14

Hans.

Agree with you totally on that :thumb:

Are you listening Audi ?

MPT
March 27th, 2007, 19:16

Hans.

I don't think it's a matter of what people hope. More of what people know/think. I havent heard anything about their plans with a 5cylinder engine. But "reliable sources" claime it's too expensive to develope.

But indeed a inline 5 would be ridiculous :dig:

just listen (okay maybe not ALL original): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsMQRRVPmDw :cool2:

Lateknight
March 27th, 2007, 20:24
I don't think it's a matter of what people hope. More of what people know/think. I havent heard anything about their plans with a 5cylinder engine. But "reliable sources" claime it's too expensive to develope.

But indeed a inline 5 would be ridiculous :dig:

just listen (okay maybe not ALL original): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsMQRRVPmDw :cool2:

Surely its in a car companies interest to build models that people hope for or want. Otherwise they would sell few cars. I know this is an exeptional case because we are reffering to an engine here and not a car.
Car companies are always digging into their own heritage to promote models. What better way for Audi, than to produce a turbocharged 5 cylinder 4wd coupe?
A true successor to the ur Quattro.
Hang the expense.
They have probably already spent a shitload of euros looking into the feasability of the engine. Seems a shame not to blow all that money and not carry on.

The soundtrack on that (video) is cool.

I love it when it comes on boost. What a noise. What an engine.

Leadfoot
March 27th, 2007, 21:24
VAG is great at blowing huge amounts of money on single models, aka the Bugatti Veyron springs to mind. But it personally don't see the R5 engine as a one-off for the likes of the TT, it would be great to see this engine in a lot of models, the A3, TT, A5, A6 and the soon to be released A4 and Q5. This is quite possibly a better way to link Audi's racing heritage than anything they could do with the Le Mans cars and this technology is more in keeping with the whole range than ultra hi-tech unit would be possible.

Who hear could ever see the technology that is in the M5/6 engine making it into the rest of the range this side of 2015, see my point.

steffenr
March 27th, 2007, 22:03
Welcome fellow Dane:bye:

I dont think there will be a TT-rs, it will come to close to the small engined R8.

The Funny thing about the danish car tax is that, people dont care I meet 2 (b5) S4, 1 (B5) Rs4, and 3 or 4 B7 Rs4 every day and a bunch of Range rover, caynnes etc. all with the infamous backseats, so in reality its only young people and people with low incomes whos hit, and im not even getting started on the insurances prices:cry:

But to .... it, I'm moving to spain later this year, so I'll dont have to think about anymore:wo:

Thrives
March 27th, 2007, 22:50
Thanks for all the nice welcomes all, and nice to see so many Danes in here too.

On the Danish car tax system ... pff, don't get me started. Generally, I disagree with the 'people don't care' argument. As such, one of the notable consequences is that the Danish car pool is significantly older (and thus more polluting) than in other European countries. Moreover, an old car pool also means less safety since many people are driving around in rubbish.

Of course young people are hit the hardest and indeed the insurance schemes are crazy. Young men between 21-25 (i.e. me :)) cannot afford to insure anything but a Hyundai Getz 1.1 :).

So, in conclusion ... I am moving too when I get the chance which also has to do with high property prices and high income taxes.

Other than that of course, I love Denmark :) so I will definitely return at some point but I need to own my dream car first (B7 (R)S4 V8 Black Avant).