PDA

View Full Version : Going to look at an RS6 soon (1st post)

Rovi
March 20th, 2007, 19:58
Hi all, first post here, but I've been reading for a while now.

I'm going to look at a 2003 RS6 sedan sometime over the next few days, is there anything in particular I should be looking out for, apart from the usual 'used car' stuff?

It's got 90,000 miles up, which is as high as anything I've seen mentioned here, but it was allegedly previously owned by an Audi executive and has an immaculate service history. I'll be checking the service history with the relevant dealerships, but I don't know if the mileage should be a concern or not.
I've been driving various A6 and A4 models for a fair few years now, and that sort of mileage wouldn't bother me a bit with those once I could verify the service history.

I'll get it up on a lift for a look at the DRC, is there anything else I should be looking for while I'm in there?

Are there any major/expensive service intervals looming at that mileage?

Thanks for reading, and I'll report back on what I find.

bobjebb
March 20th, 2007, 22:26
Warranty most important. Hace a look at rs246.com for a UK perspective and perhaps find someone locally to check the car for you. Good luck

ruxprncd
March 21st, 2007, 02:07
Major (~$2500US) service should have been done at around 35K miles and 70K miles, so you're about 1/2 way to the next one...and very near one of the dirt-cheap (ahem) ~$1500US service intervals. Perhaps that one has been done, and you're good until 105K.

Fantastic vehicle and well worth it, IMO!

Rovi
March 21st, 2007, 09:36
Thanks for the advice bobjebb and ruxprncd, I'll be paying particular attention to the service history, and I'll investigate the warranty closely too.

Also, thanks for the pointer to rs246.com bobjebb, it's great to get a more 'local' perspective.

matth76
March 26th, 2007, 00:00
90000 miles isn't alot at all in an Audi. Most Audi's last well over 200k miles if not much more if properly looked after. My old man's kept going well over 250k miles. It should be no different for the RS6.

When ever you see a car ask the seller how long he lets the car warm up for before driving it hard. If he looks at you blankly or says 5 mins walk away - they clearly don't know how to look after their car properly. It should be fully warmed up for 10-15 mins until the oil has reached normal op temp before taking it over 3000-3500 revs.

Good luck in your purchase.