PDA

View Full Version : Which Tires wear faster? Front or Rear?

Aronis
March 11th, 2007, 13:55
Polling RS6 drivers.

In your experience, which tires are wearing faster, Front or Rear?

I really have not been noting carefully enough, but I get the impression that the rears wear faster. I was recently in for a vehicle state inspection and was failed due to bauld rear tires (snows) and they were just that - SLICKS....did not notice it LOL. That explains the poor snow handling LOL.

Anyway, my stock tires were worn down to bauld also and the inside wall was falling apart when I got new PS2's. Now one set is worn more than the other, I believe it was the pair on the rear of the car......

So what's your experience been?

Mike

Benman
March 12th, 2007, 15:45
For me, fronts. Rears should only wear down faster if you're doing only straight line accelleration with little braking. Back road driving with lots of braking would wear out the fronts first. If rears are dying quicker than fronts, may be a problem.

Ben:addict:

Leadfoot
March 12th, 2007, 19:15
I went through 4 sets in two years so who better to give an opinion.

I front wear ever so slightly more than the rear and being in the UK where we drive on the left hand side, the left side wearsslightly more than the rights.

FL 1.6mm FR 2.0mm
RL 2.0mm RR 2.3mm

This was always what I found to be the wear. And this was without track use. But remember over here we have roundabouts.

gjg
March 12th, 2007, 19:27
well, leady, thats what you get for driving on wrong side of the road ..... :harass:

mine is about the same as Bens (no runabouts on left, some on the right), bit of "bahn" speed, it seems to me that the inner side on all corners wears little more... I do rotate the wheels tho (F/R) :thumb:

Leadfoot
March 12th, 2007, 22:21
well, leady, thats what you get for driving on wrong side of the road ..... :harass:

mine is about the same as Bens (no runabouts on left, some on the right), bit of "bahn" speed, it seems to me that the inner side on all corners wears little more... I do rotate the wheels tho (F/R) :thumb:

well gjg, when you live where I do, Audi do a complete maintenance contract for roughly £480 per year (service, parts & labour and tyres).:hihi:

Now why would I be concerned about rotating the tyres at that price, you see it does pay to drive on the wrong side of the road.:thumb:

bober3
March 12th, 2007, 22:52
the quattro traction system distribution 40/60 seams to make rear tire wear more faster does i am right or wrong because i am a young boy and i have a lot of things to know on this planet

gjg
March 14th, 2007, 09:57
now I know why on continent we pay so much more for our cars - to subsidize Audi's maintenance program on the islands :doh:

Aronis
March 14th, 2007, 13:51
I was hoping this would have been a helpful poll, as I put my Less Worn Tires on the Rear to pass the inspection (snows were bald) and then try to avoid changing all four again on April 1.....my other two (not sure but I think they were on the rear) are more worn (everyother tread bar touching)....oh well....I should have taken more careful notice. I used to tag the tires to mark them front or rear for the next season so I'd not mix them up. Oh well.

Mike

Hy Octane
March 14th, 2007, 15:39
I go thru 2 sets of fronts to one set of rears..

skiwi
March 14th, 2007, 18:05
the rs6 quattro system distributes torque at a nominal 50:50. actually, it is closer to a nominal 60:40 front:rear (to mirror the weight distribution)...

the new generation quattro system uses an epicyclic diff to force the toruqe distribution to a real 60:40 rear:front.

Leadfoot
March 14th, 2007, 23:10
I know no one here would let their tyres get to bald, but you should always put the tyres with the most tread on the rear. This means the nose will give way first which all cars are designed to do and all drives can deal with by braking, but if the bald tyres were on the rear the tail will come out which is harder to control.

Always remember this if the occasion calls for you to choose which tyres go where.

Aronis
March 15th, 2007, 01:59
I know no one here would let their tyres get to bald, .

Sorry, I let me rear snows go to bald and then some....

And the rear did move a bit in the snow LOL.

Mike

Leadfoot
March 15th, 2007, 08:23
Sorry, I let me rear snows go to bald and then some....

And the rear did move a bit in the snow LOL.

Mike

It just advice you always hear in advanced driving.