PDA

View Full Version : Driving on the german autobahn !

Thilo
May 5th, 2003, 10:05
Hi guys,

Just came back from a weekend in Ingoldstadt. I had to do some family visits. This was my first drive with the RS6 on the german autobahn. So i was really looking forward to this experience. But now listen carefully. I thought at about 250 or 260 the car would go not further. Wrong, at 295 i stopped putting the pedal to the metal. I wonder how fast you have to drive until the limit (250) is activated. Maybe they forgot it in my car :hihi:

Anyway, it's just fantastic how this car acts. Still at 290 km/h it is smooth.

Greetings
Thilo

JP4
May 5th, 2003, 15:39
WOW....no matter how you measure it or what kind of car it is that is darn fast for sure.

Enjoy...and be careful! :addict:

Mr. Fru-T Pants
May 5th, 2003, 16:03
Thilo, I wonder if you happened to watch your fuel gauge as it dropped rather quickly at 295... :D

Fru-T

JP4
May 5th, 2003, 16:06
Originally posted by Mr. Fru-T Pants
Thilo, I wonder if you happened to watch your fuel gauge as it dropped rather quickly at 295... :D

Fru-T

For sure! I read somewhere that at those speeds you can actually see the needle on the fuel gauge move! YIKES! :eek:

Erik
May 5th, 2003, 16:15
Originally posted by JP4
I read somewhere that at those speeds you can actually see the needle on the fuel gauge move!

For some reason that reminds me of my old bass boat :eye:

JP4
May 5th, 2003, 16:18
Originally posted by Erik B
For some reason that reminds me of my old bass boat :eye:

LOL! :bow:

Snow
May 5th, 2003, 19:19
Please don't look at the fuel meter at that speed. Look at the road! :hmm: Elsewise I don't know if I'll ever dare to drive in Germany again! :hihi:

Dave
May 5th, 2003, 20:18
It's true,

i was driving at 160mph the other evening and I could have done a whole tank in about 100miles :MTM:

I suppose the Mpg must hav been around 6 to 8.. not good! :D

Benman
May 7th, 2003, 15:41
thilo,

great to hear your having a blast with your RS6!:D

i think i'll be hard pressed to duplicate your speed on american
soil. the cops out in the U.S. are not too happy when they catch
someone doing 155+:hihi:

ben:addict: :cheers:

Mr. Fru-T Pants
May 7th, 2003, 19:51
QUOTE]i think i'll be hard pressed to duplicate your speed on American soil.[/QUOTE]

Come on over to Tennessee, Ben. It may be a bit of a commute, but it would be worth it, for sure.

Get off those durn "freeways", and let me introduce you to some "highways". ;)

Fru-T

Benman
May 7th, 2003, 20:09
sounds durn tempting Fru-T:hihi:

ben:addict:

dabull
May 7th, 2003, 21:14
FruT, I know there is a nice highway with hardly any traffic on it east of Cookeville, TN though I forget the SR number. If we got caught going 174 mph here you might as well sell your RS 6 because at least your license would be gone. We have a nice race track here in cental Ohio called Mid Ohio that you can get track time on. :addict:

Erik
May 7th, 2003, 21:37
I was stopped in our rental about 10 years ago in Georgia before the last stop to Florida. I played a little bit stupid since we had very little cash at the time (students) hoping the officer would let me go but that ended with me handing over 'any sharp objects'
and within seconds after being on the wrong side of the wall.
There was a big sign "This is NOT Burger King. You will NOT have it your way!" Got that sorted in 5 minutes when I said in perfect english that there's some money in my bag. Luckily I could leave within 15 minutes. Phew...once is enough.

A few years back when I was in Texas I was surprised by how fast people were driving.
But then again, a lot of things surprised me with Texas... :hihi:
I've never ever had so much fun in a shooting range and
probably never ever will again.

Benman
May 7th, 2003, 21:54
erik, it seems ALOT of people have similar stories when it comes
to the south. me, well ... that's another story:D

ben:addict:

Mr. Fru-T Pants
May 8th, 2003, 07:49
Originally posted by dabull
FruT, I know there is a nice highway with hardly any traffic on it east of Cookeville, TN though I forget the SR number. If we got caught going 174 mph here you might as well sell your RS 6 because at least your license would be gone. We have a nice race track here in cental Ohio called Mid Ohio that you can get track time on. :addict:

Yeah, bull. I think I know the SR to which you refer. And as for Mid-Ohio, I don't think one could reach those kind of speeds on that track. There's no strait long enough. I was actually going to try and make the upcoming ACCNA "school", but my situation has changed recently as to available finances(long story), and more than that, I have to be close to town for the next few weeks to facilitate taking an Audi completely apart. It's a travesty to do so, but a necessary task in order to replenish my bank account from a recent stable addition. I may make the second event later in the year, and I plan to take a car to Road America, as well as VIR. Typically, i try to limit my high speed antics to the track, but the little kid in me sometimes prevails. :trans:

Fru-T

Thilo
May 8th, 2003, 09:01
Originally posted by Erik B
I was stopped in our rental about 10 years ago in Georgia before the last stop to Florida. I played a little bit stupid since we had very little cash at the time (students) hoping the officer would let me go but that ended with me handing over 'any sharp objects'

Hi Erik,

Nearly the same happened to me, when i was a student at Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Florida. I drove my "brand new" Buick Riviera (20 years old is brand new for a campus car) to the tag office of course WITHOUT a tag. After 5 minutes a female officer stoped me and i also played the stupid student. In my case, it worked, so i had to drive by bus to the tag office.

Regards
Thilo :bye:

jconley
May 8th, 2003, 13:56
Originally posted by Thilo
Hi Erik,

Nearly the same happened to me, when i was a student at Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Florida. I drove my "brand new" Buick Riviera (20 years old is brand new for a campus car) to the tag office of course WITHOUT a tag. After 5 minutes a female officer stoped me and i also played the stupid student. In my case, it worked, so i had to drive by bus to the tag office.

Regards
Thilo :bye:

Eckerd college, eh? My old stomping ground- I didn't go there, but some good friends did- I grew up in Tampa, and worked in clearwater for quite a while- Now in Orlando.

J

Thilo
May 12th, 2003, 09:12
When i was driving to work this morning, i saw a crashed RS6 on the side of the highway. It really hurts you :cry: when you see a brand new black RS6 so badly damaged. The accident happened about 200 meter after the highway entrance. I think the guy hit another car when entering the highway VERY fast. So to all RS6 and other fast car drivers : TAKE CARE !

Regards
Thilo

hammerwerfer
May 17th, 2003, 21:28
Ahh, the mysterious lazy limiter. I haven't been interrupted by a limiter in the RS6 or RS4. The RS6 at about 260 still pulling strong on part throttle, and the RS4 with a good bit more throttle doing 270.

Anybody heading to the ring in the near future?