PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI review

torres
March 6th, 2007, 13:20
"The Audi Q7 places the concentrated power of the V8 TDI, an engine with a displacement of 4.2 litres, into a vehicle concept that impresses with its versatile sportiness. Even at its debut, the Q7 model series set new standards in its segment. Now the 4.2 TDI is moving the bar even higher."

This is from an exclusive review on the 2007 Audi Q7. You can find info about it's design, performance and other details, and also some photos with the car.

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop-580x410/Audi_Q7-2_ew.jpg
http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop-580x386/Audi_Q7_2-2_4w.jpg
http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop-580x386/Audi_Q7_4-2_cw.jpg

Read the whole article here: http://www.topspeed.com/audi/audi-q7-42-tdi-ar28469.html

Benman
March 6th, 2007, 23:56
Very nice, thanks for sharing.:cheers:

Ben:addict:

sleepera8
March 7th, 2007, 04:38
I love the 4.2TDI, but there's too similar parts w/ the VW touareg for me ever to buy a Q7l, regardless of better service.

Ruergard
March 7th, 2007, 22:17
Very nice!

That's a step in the right direction.... we're still waiting for the BIG engine! ;) :D

Toto89
March 7th, 2007, 22:54
Great car!!:0: The most important in this car is the HUGE torque:760nm is amazing, it's 110nm more than in A8 with this engine:bigeyes:

Leadfoot
March 7th, 2007, 23:32
Great car!!:0: The most important in this car is the HUGE torque:760nm is amazing, it's 110nm more than in A8 with this engine:bigeyes:

I wonder is this a mis-print what with the power being the same?

Leadfoot
March 7th, 2007, 23:36
I love the 4.2TDI, but there's too similar parts w/ the VW touareg for me ever to buy a Q7l, regardless of better service.

Well then you wouldn't buy a Cayenne neither, so what choice have you..... the X5. Another cheap and nasty interior or a Range Rover Sport and lose a bucket of money at resale.

None of them look like a better alternative.:rolleyes:

sleepera8
March 8th, 2007, 04:12
Well then you wouldn't buy a Cayenne neither, so what choice have you..... the X5. Another cheap and nasty interior or a Range Rover Sport and lose a bucket of money at resale.

None of them look like a better alternative.:rolleyes:

not necessarily, although the cayenne is made in the same factory as the touareg, it does use different parts. Though as the Audi is a subcompany of VW, they're more likely to use the same parts.

W/ the Touareg, the 2 major issues were the stepper motor(replaced 3x) and the electronics. They finally fixed the stepper motor issue, version C fixed it.

The Touareg had too many electronics, everytime you started the car it gave 1-5 error codes. There was just too many electronics, more then was needed.

I like the stylings of the Q7, it provides lots more space in the rear, I think it's underpowered w/ the 3.2 and the 4.2. The Touareg was a very heavy truck, and regardless the the V10 provided a lot of grunt. I was dismayed by how the Q7 4.2 drove, it's probably fine once at speed, but in normal city traffic it was very doggy.

Leadfoot
March 8th, 2007, 09:18
not necessarily, although the cayenne is made in the same factory as the touareg, it does use different parts. Though as the Audi is a subcompany of VW, they're more likely to use the same parts.

W/ the Touareg, the 2 major issues were the stepper motor(replaced 3x) and the electronics. They finally fixed the stepper motor issue, version C fixed it.

The Touareg had too many electronics, everytime you started the car it gave 1-5 error codes. There was just too many electronics, more then was needed.

I like the stylings of the Q7, it provides lots more space in the rear, I think it's underpowered w/ the 3.2 and the 4.2. The Touareg was a very heavy truck, and regardless the the V10 provided a lot of grunt. I was dismayed by how the Q7 4.2 drove, it's probably fine once at speed, but in normal city traffic it was very doggy.

My neighbour has a Touareg and my brother had a Cayenne S and both experienced the same failures, like windows opening on their own, the rear boot glass opening while driving along etc. Yes the Touareg has had more problem than that of my brother's Cayenne but the Porsche was £20K more expensive.

I was always under the impression that Audi used better parts than VW and Porsche, in the past Porsche always used a older model air-con unit than Audi though I don't know if this is still the case.

sleepera8
March 8th, 2007, 13:42
on the Treg, the transmission is japanese. I'm not sure on the cayenne or q7.

I'd say the stepper motor was the most dangerous issue, you'd be driving along @ 50mph and the truck would start to shake violently. Or you'd be going less the 30, and it would putter up a hill, like it was about to lose gear. [something you experience when a transmission is dieing]

The electronics were more of an annoyance, and if I hadn't suffered my turbo controller issue, I'd probably kept it and dealt w/ the other stuff. [but I was off warranty, and the fix was to remove the engine, and replace the turbos, surely more $$$ then I wanted to put up for it]

btw, as you are q7 owner, you maybe interested in the http://www.clubtouareg.com forum. There's a mix of owners on there.

Leadfoot
March 8th, 2007, 14:08
The Cayenne uses the same as the Touareg but the Q7 uses a think a Borg or ZF. And yes I am just a Q7 owner. Only a few days so to early to see an problems and hope I never do.:looking:

sleepera8
March 8th, 2007, 15:41
The Cayenne uses the same as the Touareg but the Q7 uses a think a Borg or ZF. And yes I am just a Q7 owner. Only a few days so to early to see an problems and hope I never do.:looking:

I hope you don't either. I mistakenly bought the test bed model, 2004.

Toto89
March 8th, 2007, 19:24

Sorry, my English is not very perfect, i can't understand clearly what did i wrong:vhmmm: But the Q7 will have 760nm and 326hp for sure.
Link (http://www.audi.de/audi/de/de2/neuwagen/q7/news/Der_staerkste_Diesel_SUV__Der_Audi_Q7_4_2_TDI.html )

Ruergard
March 8th, 2007, 20:29
Sorry, my English is not very perfect, i can't understand clearly what did i wrong:vhmmm: But the Q7 will have 760nm and 326hp for sure.
Link (http://www.audi.de/audi/de/de2/neuwagen/q7/news/Der_staerkste_Diesel_SUV__Der_Audi_Q7_4_2_TDI.html )

You didn't do any wrong m8! :0:

What he ment was why the A8 has a lower torque than the Q7. And if it might could be an misprint by Audi.

Though I don't think so. The must have changed something to give the Q7 some more grunt..

chewym
March 9th, 2007, 06:55
Probably due to differenc transmissions.

Lateknight
March 22nd, 2007, 03:39

The A8 4.2 Tdi is torque limited by its transmission @ 650nm (or 479lb/ft).
Strange that the Bentley Continental GT also has the same max torque - 650nm.
Now thats a 6.0L twin turbo W12 with only 70nm (50 lb/ft) more torque than its naturally aspirated W12 cousin.
Both cars are fitted with a variation of the ZF 6HP19 six speed auto.

Leadfoot
March 22nd, 2007, 12:37
The A8 4.2 Tdi is torque limited by its transmission @ 650nm (or 479lb/ft).
Strange that the Bentley Continental GT also has the same max torque - 650nm.
Now thats a 6.0L twin turbo W12 with only 70nm (50 lb/ft) more torque than its naturally aspirated W12 cousin.
Both cars are fitted with a variation of the ZF 6HP19 six speed auto.

What transmission does the Q7 4.2TDi use then? Because I was under the impression that it was different to that of the VW V10Tdi or is this not the case?

Lateknight
March 22nd, 2007, 13:44
What transmission does the Q7 4.2TDi use then? Because I was under the impression that it was different to that of the VW V10Tdi or is this not the case?

Very similar box to that of Touareg/Cayenne just without the Low/Hi ratio transfer box that the VW & Porsche have.
(99% of owners never take these cars off road anyway so Audi have done well do junk it - it just adds weight)

AndyBG
March 22nd, 2007, 16:06
Very similar box to that of Touareg/Cayenne just without the Low/Hi ratio transfer box that the VW & Porsche have.
(99% of owners never take these cars off road anyway so Audi have done well do junk it - it just adds weight)

100% wright, BUT, now every car magazine is going to start to point out Q7s disability in ''off-road'' driving and to tell people that they just want able to get them self out of ''hard situations''.... :noshake: