PDA

View Full Version : My RS6 1/4 Mile Video Against Dragster

Copper
March 6th, 2007, 05:28
http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f279/CarbonGS/3-4-07%20GA3S-SELOC%20Track%20Day/?action=view&current=03-04-07GA3S-SELOCTrackDay90.flv

I posted this on the Audiworld Forum as well.

I thought my RS6 was fast taking out a 2007 heavily modded WRX, Honda Civic Si with the full work up of mods (not even close) a 2005 Mustang Cobra with 75 shot, supercharger, downpipes, etc. (real close), Infiniti G35 Coupe (heavily modded), Corvette C6 (chipped) and a Mistu 3000GT Twin Turbo also heavliy modded. I had not lost a single race thus far.

So to make me humble, the line guy got instructions from the tower to put me against a full-on dragster with wheelie bars, big 'ol race slicks, plexiglass windows, stripped interior, blower... you get the idea. This drag Camero was fast... and loud!

Notice in the video that he actually launched early and got a red light, I paused when I saw this for a split second then punched it. I felt like I was standing still (OK going in reverse) on the freeway when he blew by me at the 1/8th mile point.

I pulled a 12.9 and he got an 11 flat.

Still, not bad for a four-door fully loaded leather cladded, NAV, A/C automatic Audi sedan eh? I didn't even take out the spare tire, jack or anything.

My friend who was running this event (SE Lexus Owner's Club) sent me this link. I'm in the Avus Silver RS6 (obviously!)

This was the Southeast Track Day.

I'll post some pics later once I upload them to my computer from the camera.

I got 8 runs in and had a blast. This is my second time to the Silver Dollar Raceway (I went the week I first bought my RS6) and the third time taking the RS6 to a quarter mile track. My best time of the day was a 12.8 and a personal record. I'm getting better at figuring out how to launch and also my numbers are much better in cold weather with the car freshly serviced.

Time to chip the beast and buy a helmet!

I'd like to get in the low 12's with an ECU and tranny chip. I'll more than likely go with APR since I can turn the thing off for daily driving.

It's cool being the oddball in the group of all the other cars.

I got a lot of "what is that?" and "I knew that Audi made an RS4, what is an RS6?"

:addict:

chewym
March 6th, 2007, 05:51
Nice driving experience.

nyrs6
March 7th, 2007, 15:43
great times. What was youre trap speed? What was the temp? and how long did you cool down in between runs?

Copper
March 7th, 2007, 17:58
Here are the numbers from my run:

R/T = .219

60' = 1.623

330 = 5.224

1/8 = 8.284

MPH = 88.10

1000 = 10.205

1/4 = 12.830

MPH = 109.55

Here are the numbers from the Drag race Camaro:

R/T = -.111

60' = 2.225

330 = 5.205

1/8 = 7.569

MPH = 102.52

1000 = 9.700

1/4 = 11.560

MPH = 123.51

93 Octane fuel

51 degrees F outside

Street Tires on stock 18" wheels

Traction control OFF

Sport Automatic selected (auto shifting)

Brake engaged, revs at 2200 RPM before launch

30-35 minutes of cool down (engine off, hood open) before run with short idle before race.

As you can see, I had a good jump on the Camaro, my reaction time was better, faster to 60' then at the 1/8 he was GONE!

:incar:
Sean

Leadfoot
March 7th, 2007, 19:50
It took balls to even go up aganist that thing. Most people would have went away and hide, good on you.:applause:

nyrs6
March 8th, 2007, 23:21
I think you have the record in a stock RS6.Now you are on with the magazine times. Great trap speed. I think my dad holds the record for Modded 12.4. I am shure there are faster RS6's out there but they never ran at the drag strip.

AuditudeA642
March 9th, 2007, 00:09
Wow! Thats one fast RS6

dab
April 3rd, 2007, 14:55
Will be taking my chipped rs/6 to the drag strip this evening weather permitting. Tried the brake engaged and rpm to 2200, car bogs when doing that. Tried it before and after chip. Most of the time i get a better reaction when just punching the gas. Curious saw you even got the tires loose on your recorded run. Anybody else have any experience around getting the best start.

dab
April 13th, 2007, 17:03
I ran three runs. best time of 13.1. Can't get the beast off the line. My best 60ft time has been 2.2. yet it was a 13.7. And I have the apr chipset running 93 octane for 520hp.

my time
r/t .581
60 2.354
330 5.864
1/8 8.716
mph 86.75
1000 11.123
1/4 13.169
mph 109.34

when power braking and getting to 2k rpm the car bogs....

malofquist
April 13th, 2007, 17:38
does it bog because of traction control taking over the throttle?

dab
April 13th, 2007, 21:51
No, i turn it off.

peiserg
April 13th, 2007, 22:55
No, i turn it off.

you have the same trap speed with the APR chip as a stock rs6? that doesn't sound right... even if your launch is crap, you should be trapping higher ET's....

since you have the adjustable deal with the cruise control, did you try a run in "stock" mode to compare?

I'm assuming it's a noticceable difference when in stock vs. 520hp mode?? wondering this, because i just bought he apr chip (it's already at my house waiting for me to get off work and install)

Copper
April 15th, 2007, 19:51
Something is wrong with either your car or the way you are launching. My worst time with my stock RS6 is a 13.4 when I was first learning to run it at the track.

Make sure you have a recent tune-up, that the APR chip is working properly and that you are giving the car plenty of cool-down time.

What was the temperature, altitude and humidity the day you ran? When you load up the throttle with a power break, at what point on the RPM range are you releasing? It should be right before the throttle control rev limiter kicks in. It may be different with your set up but is it just below 3000RPM for me.

Use a fluid motion when you release the brake and press the accel pedal. Don't dump the brake and smash the gas, this is hard on the tranny and does not give you a smooth launch. The motion should be exactly the same as launching with a clutch, nice and smooth. It will seem like you are not being "thrown" back in your seat and "popping" out of the hole, but the car has so much boost it is deceiving. Keep an eye on the RPM gauge when you launch, make sure the needle is below 3000RPM at power brake launch and the needle is smoothly moving clockwise for the first 60 ft. After that push it to the floor and just hang on.

This is by far one of the hardest cars to launch. I think that's what BMW and MB have both gone to launch programs on thier automatics/SMG setups. The only other car I have driven that was a real pain to get moving off the line unless you really took some time to think about what you were doing was an RUF Yellow Bird. The clutch was so stiff the damn thing would just stall out if you didn't feather it.

Good luck and keep at it. One thing I did notice on my third trip to the track was that I had just had the RS6 serviced at the local Audi dealer one week before going. I also used the Chevron fuel system cleaner through one whole tank of gas which took 6 days to go through before I filled up again. I also only filled up with Chevron premium fuel, not discount (QuickTrip, etc.) fuel. I'm not sure if any of this helped but I went from a best time of 13.12 to 12.83.

I also hope to get the APR chip and I for damn sure better see a 12.6 for $3000 worth of chip tuning.

Anyone else have launch advice and getting the high 12's low 13's?

RS6-4dr911
April 16th, 2007, 01:37
Not too familiar with time slips from a drag strip but I assume r/t = reaction time.

The original poster says he had a better reaction based on 60' time(I believe he errs) but the Camaro had r/t of .1, RS6 .2 (so all wheel drive made up for it in the 60' race)

The above poster dab, questions how to get lower times, has a reaction time of.5+. Improve that to even a .2 and looks to me like he's below 13. I disagree with peiserg - a crap launch does matter when you're splitting hairs (or seconds)

Also, my car's torque converter stalls at about 2200rpm, which seems to be common number. Copper says his does at 3000 - I question if he has a problem since a TC's stall speed is inherent in the internal design not something that a chip is likely to control although I suppose it could (old school hot rodder here).

Am I missing something here? Anyone? Beuler?:confused:

peiserg
April 16th, 2007, 04:38
Not too familiar with time slips from a drag strip but I assume r/t = reaction time.

The original poster says he had a better reaction based on 60' time(I believe he errs) but the Camaro had r/t of .1, RS6 .2 (so all wheel drive made up for it in the 60' race)

The above poster dab, questions how to get lower times, has a reaction time of.5+. Improve that to even a .2 and looks to me like he's below 13. I disagree with peiserg - a crap launch does matter when you're splitting hairs (or seconds)

Also, my car's torque converter stalls at about 2200rpm, which seems to be common number. Copper says his does at 3000 - I question if he has a problem since a TC's stall speed is inherent in the internal design not something that a chip is likely to control although I suppose it could (old school hot rodder here).

Am I missing something here? Anyone? Beuler?:confused:

i'm not talking seconds. that's ET time. i'm talking trap speed. same exact trap speed usually means same HP.