PDA

View Full Version : RS6 turbo upgrade

Slatedaddy1
March 6th, 2007, 00:36
I recently twisted my transmission and while the engine and transmission are out I would like to upgrade my turbos. Does anyone know where to get bigger turbos for my RS6?

Please respond if accessible in the USA.

:addict:

LU-RS6
March 6th, 2007, 00:44
I recently twisted my transmission and while the engine and transmission are out I would like to upgrade my turbos. Does anyone know where to get bigger turbos for my RS6?

Please respond if accessible in the USA.

:addict:

Just out of curiosity, how did you twist your transmission and what will the cost be?

Slatedaddy1
March 6th, 2007, 00:48
Is was not due to any harsh driving that I am aware of. I got in the car and the gears started slipping between 1st and 2nd. I have 100000 mi extended warrenty so it is covered but, the cost would have been around $8-10,000.

LU-RS6
March 6th, 2007, 00:54
Is was not due to any harsh driving that I am aware of. I got in the car and the gears started slipping between 1st and 2nd. I have 100000 mi extended warrenty so it is covered but, the cost would have been around $8-10,000.

Thank god you have the warranty :mech:

Anyway, I am not aware of any possibility of bigger turbos, but you can tune the engine/turbo's ofcourse, all depends on how many horses you are looking for..

dkcarc
March 6th, 2007, 01:39
Simply have them high-flowed not much room for larger turbos and the transmission can only handle so much more power. Unless the dealership will be upgrading the transmission to hold your new power levels

jimrd
March 6th, 2007, 02:02
I believe Sportec has a 600+ hp package that involves new turbos.

scottmandu
March 6th, 2007, 04:34
turbos can be upgraded. A larger compressor wheel can be installed, with the appropriate machining of the housing, and the impeller can be cut reducing back pressure. A gain of about 20 percent can be gotten with this methods. Much more than that will require pysically larger turbos.

nene
March 6th, 2007, 14:38
Contact VAST Performance (http://www.vastperformance.com/)

The team is the original Piggie and his father I think. Great team and they have amazing experience on turbo setups with the B5 S4, and believe have done some RS6 work.

Will be sending my car there for Piggie downpipes.

Marcus Frost
March 6th, 2007, 15:19
Why would someone want to upgrade the turbos when even with stock turbos it's possible to exceed the limits of the ZF automatic transmission? You blew up your transmission on stock turbos, and you want more power? You are asking for problems.

I suggest doing downpipes, a cooling kit, full exhaust, etc. You should get to 550hp+ on stock turbos which even though is still pushing it on a stock transmission, is still a power level some people seem to be able to run without their transmissions constantly blowing up.

-m

gjg
March 6th, 2007, 20:34
Originally Posted by Slatedaddy1 ]
I got in the car and the gears started slipping between 1st and 2nd.

mine does that too sometimes, only in auto (so far did not do it in TIP mode) and only in 2 nd gear when wormed up. Will change the fluid in a week or so, anything else recomended before major surgery? :mech:

LU-RS6
March 6th, 2007, 21:14
Originally Posted by Slatedaddy1 ]
I got in the car and the gears started slipping between 1st and 2nd.

mine does that too sometimes, only in auto (so far did not do it in TIP mode) and only in 2 nd gear when wormed up. Will change the fluid in a week or so, anything else recomended before major surgery? :mech:

Gjg, a bit offtopic question but..

when in tip mode, the kickdown mode should not be working am I right? It is just that after going to Digit Power for the Vmax Delimiting the car thinks I am doing a kickdown when hitting pedal to the metal in tip mode and thus shifting down without me wanting to, and I am fairly sure this didn't seem to be the case before the delimiting.
Sometimes it is a bit annoying.

dkcarc
March 6th, 2007, 21:20
Tip mode will operat kick down if the gear and revs are not matched therwise you would over load the transmission

LU-RS6
March 6th, 2007, 21:22
Tip mode will operat kick down if the gear and revs are not matched therwise you would over load the transmission

yeah ok but for example when I am on the highway, and I'm driving in 5th. After the guy in front of me moves I want to shoot forward so I kick it in 4th and press the pedal all the way. About 3-400 rpm before the red I tip it in 5th again because I dont really want to rev all the way, but immediately after shifting it kicks back to 4th to use the last 3-400 revs also, and then shifts to 5th.

I realise this might be the case in D mode but I believe it shouldnt do this in tip mode.

JAXRS6
March 7th, 2007, 20:10
Contact VAST Performance (http://www.vastperformance.com/)

The team is the original Piggie and his father I think. Great team and they have amazing experience on turbo setups with the B5 S4, and believe have done some RS6 work.

Will be sending my car there for Piggie downpipes.

I've known Mike about five years. He helped me when I had a dispute with my dealer over the cause of the CEL coming on in by 2000 B5 S4. Dealer asked if I was chipped, I said yes; tech then checked the car, could fine nothing and concluded, "it must be the chip." So I drove to Mike's nearby home, where at the time he was working out of his dad's garage, and he used his VAG COM to produce a printout that I took to the dealer. Tech said "Hmmmm" when I showed it to him, and later the result was new MAF filter under warranty.

A few months after that, AOA extended the warranty on MAF filters for 2000 S4s to 7 years or 70,000 miles -- which is what I've been encouraging them to do, as a minimal gesture, on the RS6 for DRC failures.

I don't yet know if Mike works on RS6s or their turbos; I've had no reason to talk to him for several months. But if he can service my RS6, I'll be taking it to his new garage when I'm back in Michigan. My factory warranty has run out, extended warranty is in force, and I'd trust Mike for maintenance before taking it to my home dealer, who no longer has an RS6 certified tech.

Mike is a personable and very bright young man who said he didn't mind leaving GM after getting his Master's because "they had way too many meetings." If anything is clear as the Detroit 3 struggle, it's that GM is trying to emerge from a legacy of too many meetings -- and too few results in terms of worthy products.

Saboo
March 8th, 2007, 03:32
Hello, I just drove home my new (used) RS6. My first and really important question to ask is, How much extra HP will a chip produce.

Avus-RS6
March 8th, 2007, 04:29
Hello, I just drove home my new (used) RS6. My first and really important question to ask is, How much extra HP will a chip produce.

IIRC, about 60-70 extra hp, 90-100extra ftlbs tq

Saboo
March 8th, 2007, 04:42
Thanks for the info. This is a totally different experience than my porsche turbo. It's going to take some time to adjust.:addict: