PDA

View Full Version : Delimited stock RS6: what speed did you reach?

LU-RS6
March 3rd, 2007, 00:54
Was just wondering whether anyone else here has his RS6 delimited. Mine is, but no further engine tuning so the power is still stock.
I thought we'd compare some results.

Please mention whether your speeds were tacho or gps verified speeds as there is a quite significant difference!

Slight downhill, had to brake because of cars in front.
tacho 315 km/h+, gps verified 301 km/h.

Straight flat. Stuck at topspeed for about 5 seconds before brake.
tacho 310 km/h, gps verified 296 km/h.

Best regards
LU-RS6

gjg
March 3rd, 2007, 07:15
302 km/h straight flat gps, run out of space - speedo was over 310 but that I did not watch :jlol:

with mtm I., Shell 100 oct fuel, 9c temp :cheers:

dkcarc
March 3rd, 2007, 07:37
guys ive been told the trans doesnt like speeds over 290km/h just a word of warning

Ruergard
March 3rd, 2007, 09:18
So a unlimited RS6 with no other mods will be able to hit 300 km/h? That is impressive... :D

Leadfoot
March 3rd, 2007, 14:33
Very impressive indeed, does anyone know if the RS6+ is any quicker and while on the subject, how quick is the new RS4 or S4 for that matter when de-limited as on mine I have seen 168mph before chickening out.

jonas21
March 3rd, 2007, 14:51
Slight downhill, had to brake because of cars in front.
tacho 315 km/h+, gps verified 301 km/h.

Straight flat. Stuck at topspeed for about 5 seconds before brake.
tacho 310 km/h, gps verified 296 km/h.

Best regards
LU-RS6

That sounds strange to me. I have never driven a stock RS6 at top speed but i am hearing figures of around 288km/h.
Mine does (with tuning by wetterauer to 525hp) around 315km/h flat and downhill exceeding scale. I havent tested by GPS yet.

What tyre size are you running? I am on 19".

jonas21
March 3rd, 2007, 14:52
how quick is the new RS4 or S4 for that matter when de-limited

If i recall correctly MTM (or ABT?) said that the RS4 is not able to be completely delimited because of heat. Thus they offer a tuning package but limit it at around 285km/h. I am not sure if it will do much more even if it was completely delimited.

gjg
March 3rd, 2007, 16:48
Originally Posted by Leadfoot
does anyone know if the RS6+ is any quicker

stock would be about same, butt dyno feels little faster to get up there with + but top is close ...... :incar:

I run 19", results are about same with Dunlops and Pirellis

LU-RS6
March 4th, 2007, 00:57
That sounds strange to me. I have never driven a stock RS6 at top speed but i am hearing figures of around 288km/h.
Mine does (with tuning by wetterauer to 525hp) around 315km/h flat and downhill exceeding scale. I havent tested by GPS yet.

What tyre size are you running? I am on 19".

I am on 19" as well. If you are able to do 315 km/h flat than that fits my results exactly. Mine is stock and does about 310 km/h on a flat road, which is about 296 km/h real. Yours is able to do 315 km/h with the tuning, which will be slightly over 300. I am sure you should be able to do more on a flat, I think you should be able to hit 304 km/h REAL speed. Try it with gps please. (Check with manufacturer whether your tires are ok for those speeds)

My gps was a tomtom with 11/12 sattelites connected for most accurate measurements.

LU-RS6
March 4th, 2007, 00:58
So a unlimited RS6 with no other mods will be able to hit 300 km/h? That is impressive... :D

And I had the phaeton air scoops installed, so I have also proven that they are not harmful at very high speed + do not slow you down :dig::dig:

LU-RS6
March 4th, 2007, 01:01
302 km/h straight flat gps, run out of space - speedo was over 310 but that I did not watch :jlol:

with mtm I., Shell 100 oct fuel, 9c temp :cheers:

I am sure you will be able to do at least 304 km/h because of your tuning. Look for a long flat straight during night and try harder :hihi:
But please check with the manufacturer whether your tires will hold.

jonas21
March 4th, 2007, 07:10
Speaking of delimiting...since my last service (at 85.000km) i have a fealing that something with the cooling is wrong. When i do 280-290+ for around 5-8 minutes the dry-running operation kicks in and i feal loosing the turbos. I havent seen this before, i never got into this protection mode before (and i did quite 20-30 mins at 280+).
Even when its 7-8 degrees C... Oil temp hits around 130 when it happens. I have been driving the beast at 20 degree outside with oiltemp beyond 140 before without problems at high speed for "long" times. The current behaviour is pretty annoying....guess i'll have to head to the dealer and have them check.

Anyone else observed similar things?

gjg
March 4th, 2007, 13:05
jonas, what oil are you using? We did not observe this behavior (yet) on two rs we have but I experienced higher oil temps with diffrent oil (used Castrol before and after ...) :vhmmm:

Avus-RS6
March 4th, 2007, 21:51
Speaking of delimiting...since my last service (at 85.000km) i have a fealing that something with the cooling is wrong. When i do 280-290+ for around 5-8 minutes the dry-running operation kicks in and i feal loosing the turbos. I havent seen this before, i never got into this protection mode before (and i did quite 20-30 mins at 280+).
Even when its 7-8 degrees C... Oil temp hits around 130 when it happens. I have been driving the beast at 20 degree outside with oiltemp beyond 140 before without problems at high speed for "long" times. The current behaviour is pretty annoying....guess i'll have to head to the dealer and have them check.

This really hits me hard - I haven't been over 140mph yet in my RS6, and that was only a couple of times for a brief moment. The thought of cruising at 180+mph for minutes on end without the risk of jail time is unfathomable to me. One day I'll know what you're talking about first hand. Until then, it will remain in my dreams. :addict:

Jason

LU-RS6
March 4th, 2007, 23:14
This really hits me hard - I haven't been over 140mph yet in my RS6, and that was only a couple of times for a brief moment. The thought of cruising at 180+mph for minutes on end without the risk of jail time is unfathomable to me. One day I'll know what you're talking about first hand. Until then, it will remain in my dreams. :addict:

Jason

You should visit Germany and we'll take you around :dig:

Went on a short trip to Bottrop today to do the famous A31 Autobahn from Bottrop to Emden. This is where Brabus (Mercedes) is testing their cars.
It was pure heaven. The more you go upnorth the less traffic, we managed to do 90kms in about 25 minutes and reached a gps verified speed of 298 km/h this time.
I am in the progress of uploading a short clip to youtube and will post it asap.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t260/Chillax666/Bottrop/DSC02116edit.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t260/Chillax666/Bottrop/DSC02127edit.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t260/Chillax666/Bottrop/DSC02129edit.jpg

jonas21
March 4th, 2007, 23:44
jonas, what oil are you using? We did not observe this behavior (yet) on two rs we have but I experienced higher oil temps with diffrent oil (used Castrol before and after ...) :vhmmm:

I am using Castrol RS 10W60. I have an oilchange due for the next 1000km...not sure if the oil degraded this hard and is causing my problems. Guess i'll make sure and replace it asap. Seems Castrol rebranded the RS oil....so it now is called Castrol EDGE RS. Specs are the same....whatever.

jonas21
March 4th, 2007, 23:49

Jason

Hehe, you need to visit germany then :)
But be sure to get some training course before to get used to the high speeds if you are planing to hit peak. We have alot of straight lanes here which are not speed limited but not all are really good for doing 250+ since some of them are really in a bad state with humps and that. I once almost took off doing 250 on a straight lane which seemed fine to me (which i never drove before).

LU-RS6
March 4th, 2007, 23:52
Hehe, you need to visit germany then :)
But be sure to get some training course before to get used to the high speeds if you are planing to hit peak. We have alot of straight lanes here which are not speed limited but not all are really good for doing 250+ since some of them are really in a bad state with humps and that. I once almost took off doing 250 on a straight lane which seemed fine to me (which i never drove before).

I second that. Utter attentiveness is a must when driving speeds of 250 km/h and above.

It would be interesting if a group of U.S. RS6 drivers would visit us and we could show them around in Germany. I think it might prove to be an interesting trip for them.

Avus-RS6
March 5th, 2007, 01:13
You should visit Germany and we'll take you around :dig:

Be careful, I just might take you up on that offer .:incar: . I'm shooting for spring or summer 2008.

Until then, I'll be getting out my speed fix at the local track, ski hill, and infrequently on the public highway.

Jason

LU-RS6
March 5th, 2007, 01:17
Be careful, I just might take you up on that offer .:incar: . I'm shooting for spring or summer 2008.

Until then, I'll be getting out my speed fix at the local track, ski hill, and infrequently on the public highway.

Jason

It would be my pleasure to show you around or make a roadtrip. I am sure other European board members will be equally happy to join.
Untill then stay safe :0:

LU-RS6
March 5th, 2007, 01:43
A short clip of Autobahn cruising...

<object height="350" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rdlBhoBzrhg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="350" width="425"></object>

Avus-RS6
March 5th, 2007, 02:09
It would be my pleasure to show you around or make a roadtrip. I am sure other European board members will be equally happy to join.
Untill then stay safe :0:

You bet! Cool video BTW :dig: :addict:

Jason

Ruergard
March 5th, 2007, 10:11
A short clip of Autobahn cruising...

Very nice! :bow: :addict: :bow:

Erik
March 5th, 2007, 11:11
315 km/h was no problem. Not the best cruising speed perhaps.
The car started to feel a bit light, no wonder when Jumbojets take of a around 270 km/h. :lovl:

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/RS6-315-2.jpg

More info:

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3983&highlight=autobahn

LU-RS6
March 5th, 2007, 18:35
315 km/h was no problem. Not the best cruising speed perhaps.
The car started to feel a bit light, no wonder when Jumbojets take of a around 270 km/h. :lovl:

More info:

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3983&highlight=autobahn

Erik, that was the Hohenester RS6 if I'm correct? In any case the 315 on the tacho will be about 300 real speed.

Lovely picture :0: :0:

gjg
March 5th, 2007, 20:57
280-290 is comfy for cruising :D

SAF
March 6th, 2007, 15:23
LU-RS6, what Phaeton air scoops are you referring to? Do you have a pic?

LU-RS6
March 6th, 2007, 15:25
LU-RS6, what Phaeton air scoops are you referring to? Do you have a pic?

You can find more info and pics in these threads

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8885&highlight=hot+brakes

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11376

SAF
March 6th, 2007, 15:38
Thanks!

I posted this question a while back, but I'll ask again...has anyone put any hood vents in their RS to help keep things cooler under there? I am entertaining the idea.

LU-RS6
March 6th, 2007, 15:43
Thanks!

I posted this question a while back, but I'll ask again...has anyone put any hood vents in their RS to help keep things cooler under there? I am entertaining the idea.

You mean like MTM does?

http://www.mtm-france.com/mtm_allemagne/mtm_rs6_clubsport.jpg

Also check this thread (http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8819&highlight=Sportec) where user buzz is using a Sportec mod for better cooling.

SAF
March 6th, 2007, 16:17
Yes, but I am looking for more of a flush finish, and only a pair. I'll read the link!

peterc
March 7th, 2007, 06:46
Hi there, I've been looking into the board for the last 2-3 weeks as I am buying an RS6 Plus this week. I was more a BMW guy upto now and my last set up was an M3 for fun and an X5 for family and winter. Now the RS6 replaces both. It's gonna be my first Audi and I really look forward to it. I don't plan on doing much changes to the RS6 at this point, however want the limiter gone. Coming from the Beemer side of life I don't know many of the good Audi addresses for that so I was wondering what is a good address to get that done in Switzerland? I live in the Basel area. Possibly LU-RS6 can give me a hint? Thanks guys, can't wait to get the baby tomorrow or Friday.

LU-RS6
March 7th, 2007, 08:32
Hi Peterc,

First of all many congrats on the coming purchase of the RS6+. Be sure to post some pictures, the plus is such a beautiful and powerful car :addict:+

You can have it done both at Sportec or Digit Power.
I chose Digit Power because Sportec was fully booked.

I think it might be advisable for you to first drive around with the stock brakes and see whether you are ok with them. Many people had problems with them, especially when your driving style is kind of...well...fast :hahahehe::hahahehe:
If you are driving 280 km/h + and you need to do an emergency stop, you really want the brakes to perform too.

Best regards

Hi there, I've been looking into the board for the last 2-3 weeks as I am buying an RS6 Plus this week. I was more a BMW guy upto now and my last set up was an M3 for fun and an X5 for family and winter. Now the RS6 replaces both. It's gonna be my first Audi and I really look forward to it. I don't plan on doing much changes to the RS6 at this point, however want the limiter gone. Coming from the Beemer side of life I don't know many of the good Audi addresses for that so I was wondering what is a good address to get that done in Switzerland? I live in the Basel area. Possibly LU-RS6 can give me a hint? Thanks guys, can't wait to get the baby tomorrow or Friday.

peterc
March 7th, 2007, 12:14
Thanks LU_RS6
Yes, I know Digit Power, so I'll look over there once.
Are the brakes on the + not slightly different than on the regular?
Did you change the brakes on yours and If yes, did you also get that done at DigitPower? Sorry for all the questions.
Bye Pete

jonas21
March 7th, 2007, 16:01

Yes they are, the + comes with perforated brakedisks. The regular RS6 only had that available as an option.

LU-RS6
March 7th, 2007, 22:09
Thanks LU_RS6
Yes, I know Digit Power, so I'll look over there once.
Did you change the brakes on yours and If yes, did you also get that done at DigitPower? Sorry for all the questions.
Bye Pete

The brakes are indd different as jonas wrote, but I also had the perforated brake discs.

I didn't have it done at Digit Power, I have a friend here in Belgium who did all the mods.
I only installed new brake discs( perforated stock brake discs) together with pagid blue race pads, and had the phaeton air scoops installed.
For me and my driving style, this is a nice improvement.

Unfortunately I can't help you with someone who'll do the mods in Switzerland, maybe Digit Power will install it if you can tell them how and what. Otherwise you are always welcome to make a trip to Belgium, but drive through Germany and not through France. Might save you a couple of Euros with the Gendarmerie :king:. Since they lasergunned me in Colmar I refuse to use that route any longer.

jonas21
March 9th, 2007, 19:16

Just got back from the dealer....they say they couldnt find anything. However they say there might be a problem with the turbos....so they cleared the error log and changed the oil. Lets see.....if the turbos are really dead that'll suck....wonder if they are still covered by warranty...if not i'll be getting some bigger new ones...

LU-RS6
March 9th, 2007, 21:40
Just got back from the dealer....they say they couldnt find anything. However they say there might be a problem with the turbos....so they cleared the error log and changed the oil. Lets see.....if the turbos are really dead that'll suck....wonder if they are still covered by warranty...if not i'll be getting some bigger new ones...

I think you should ease up on driving so fast for longer periods. I'd try maxing till about 250 and peaking +260 speeds for only a minute or so. After shooting the Bottrop movie and stopping at a fuel station, there was a bit of smoke coming out of my car (a fog kind of smoke). So I reckon the engine can't take the heat of +260 speeds for too long, unless you can install some additional cooling vents like the ones from Sportec/MTM or similar.

jonas21
March 10th, 2007, 10:50
Well...it was fine before. I never had these problems untill the latest inspection/service. I also never stop driving with the oil hotter than 90 degrees (e.g. getting fuel at a station). I always calm down and let the engine cool down before stopping somewhere.
I'll do some testing later this weekend to see if the problem is gone.

gjg
March 10th, 2007, 20:04
LU, it should last longer that couple of minutes in 260+ without any problem... :D = as long as you have space.

The problem is the fuel tank is tooooooo small :doh:

LU-RS6
March 10th, 2007, 20:16
LU, it should last longer that couple of minutes in 260+ without any problem... :D = as long as you have space.

The problem is the fuel tank is tooooooo small :doh:

gjg I just posted it because some said the gearbox doesnt like the higher range speeds. Yeah well guess I will find out at some point because I do not have the character to stop accelerating at 260 :hihi:

Thank god we have at least 82liter. The small fuel tank in the RS4B5 is the thing that stopped me from buying one. :noshake:

gjg
March 10th, 2007, 20:42
I even looked for aux fuel tank but gave that up after while ... 100 liter would be nice :cheers:

LU-RS6
March 10th, 2007, 20:43
Haha funny same here, but a fuel tank requires all types of sensors etc.. not so easy mod to do.

I'd love it because I'm passing via Luxemburg a lot, and fuel is cheapo there, about 1 EUR / liter for 98 octane fuel.