PDA

View Full Version : Considering Viper GTS, need opinions

ott
March 2nd, 2007, 10:16
I need opinions of the board members who have actually owned Gen 1 or 2 Vipers or driven them for some time. What kind of car this actually is to own and drive, when compared to other similar type of cars ? Does it's hardcore nature, power and looks give you enough feelgood factor, that outweights it's shorcomings ?

I didn't go to Viper or Porsche forums to ask this, as answers would be predictable. Here we have many members with personal experience of different high-end sportscars and with great knowledge about cars overall. So I would trust much more to responses, I get from here.

Background story is that I have been offered to buy '97 GTS with 30 k. miles, ok condition, clear title, no modifications. It's very rare car in my country and difficult to import due to noise and emission regulations and I have always liked GTS styling. As it's winter here, no possibility to testdrive it.

I own already two fast cars (RS6 and Evo IX), but it's always with such cars, too hard to pass the opportunity. If I get it, it will be just for street driving. Streets here are in horrible condition, for example LandCruiser outsells Golf in our market, so low ground clearance is for sure one considerable issue.

Mr Balsen
March 2nd, 2007, 10:55
Actually, I will be curious to read the comments.

Viper GTS is quite a beast ! ! !

Cheers from Paris,
Frederic

MR USER
March 2nd, 2007, 12:45
Buy a Lada Niva and put the viper engine inside!!!! you get the performance and you get the practicality!

Given the money I would not pick the Viper not the Porsche... To me the 430 is the one to go for, in alternative the new vette... As availibility of vehicles is an issue then Viper over the Porsche!

ott
March 2nd, 2007, 13:47
Actually question is not "what car to buy, Viper, Porsche, Ferrari or something else ?", but rather what people, who have actually owned the Viper think about it ? How did it "deliver" ?

Asking price for this car is €40 k., which is hardly Ferrari territory, especially the 430. The import restrictions are related only to US spec cars like this GTS. I know there exists several hundred EU spec GTS, but they are more expensive.

ZCD2.7T
March 2nd, 2007, 14:34
Based on what I've read in the American car magazines over the years about Vipers in general, I think you have to understand going in that you're basically buying a "kit car" that happens to have a major manufacturer's brand name on it.

The early vipers are generally acknowledged to be rough, noisy, HOT, brutal beasts. They're fast in a straight line, but the handling is not well-sorted, and they'll snap-oversteer when pushed.

The side exhaust pipes make the side sills so hot that you can burn yourself just getting out of the car after a drive, and there's so much heat from the engine and transmission that comes through to the passenger compartment that the air conditioning can't keep up.

Every test I've seen said that the car is fun for about 30 minutes, then gets to be just plain too harsh to enjoy.

That said, I'm with you on the styling - I think the GTS is one of the best-looking cars of its type ever.

If you want a sometimes-toy, and are willing to put up with its foibles, then it might be worth having. If not.................

Also, FWIW, the asking price of the car now is not that much below the NEW price of the car back in '97, but I have no idea about taxes/duties, etc in your country, so the price may not be that high in comparison.

Hope this helps.

ott
March 2nd, 2007, 14:45
Also, FWIW, the asking price of the car now is not that much below the NEW price of the car back in '97, but I have no idea about taxes/duties, etc in your country, so the price may not be that high in comparison.

10% duty and 18% VAT on top of it. Deducting this and shipping cost from US, that will be more or less current market price in US.

I'm frequent reader of VCA board already some time, so not completely stranger to those cars. Also, as I have owned extensively modified 4-gen Camaro in the past (appr. as powerful as Viper), I know, how it's to drive powerful rear wheel drive muscle car.

A8/C5/GTS-man
March 4th, 2007, 12:03
I love Viper! Great look, fast, brutal, everything!! Just waiting summer...

ZCD2.7T
March 5th, 2007, 02:17
Also, as I have owned extensively modified 4-gen Camaro in the past (appr. as powerful as Viper), I know, how it's to drive powerful rear wheel drive muscle car.

I remember reading Jean (Lindamood) Jennings' take on the Viper when it was first introduced (she writes for, and was Editor-in-Chief of "Automobile" magazine in the US). She basically said that it was an awful car - loose, poorly built, uncomfortable, unbelievably HOT inside, and with a "wobbly" chassis that undermined any good the engine and suspension might attempt to do. (!!!!)

She was subsequently excoriated by Chrysler for having the gall to point out that its Emperor had no clothes, so to speak, but it seemed to me the most honest evaluation of the car I'd read.

Again, all that said, as a weekend toy, and as a piece of automotive sculpture, absolutely!!!

A8/C5/GTS-man
March 5th, 2007, 06:45
My friend`s Gallardo was slower than my Viper and I WAS happy, he was not! this summer we must try again...:incar: