PDA

View Full Version : The RS5? 2008 and why.

Leadfoot
March 1st, 2007, 22:33
I have a very good feeling that the RS5 will be with us in 2008 and will be running the current RS4 engine with a few tweaks.

All the signs are pointing to a launch a lot sooner than current offerings.
Think about it, the last S4 and M3 were equal on power but this time round the M3 will be up to 70hp more powerful, why would Audi launch the S5 now if it was not changing it's role in the range from the rival and alternative to the M3 to the now rival and alternative to the 335i. The S5 will be no more than £40K tops but will quite possible be no higher than £38K while the 335i M/Sport will be priced at £35~36K. The M3 has been indicated as costing as much as £48K a possible £10K price difference, the two models are no longer competing for the same customers where as a RS5 at £52 will be a direct rival in power and price bracket.

This paves the way for the RS5 to enter a lot sooner into the market place and complete directly with the M3 instead of above it where it has previously been. This is possible because the basics are already there like the engine. Small tweaks like the ones the S5 received will give the RS5 a smaller power hike lifting the output to the 435~440hp bracket giving it a small edge over the M3 and justifying it higher price. There is yet no DSG gearbox and no trick suspension both of which have been talked about. The gearbox I believe will be launched with the A4 and introduced as a option on both models offering 7 gears, the suspension option will be either magnetic ride or air, I personally prefer the former as it's more in keeping with a sporty ride. Two things that will be standard and can transform the RS5 into a hell of a quick and capable car even with such a small power increase over the RS4.

If the S5 can drop 0.5s from that of the S4 with a small 10hp increase than a like wise increase combined with DSG 7speed will drop the already amazing 4.7s official time to a more amazing 4.3s and keep the RS5 ahead of the up and coming M3. If BMW does introduce a CSL model then a RS5+ with valvelift would give it the extra power to compete and the suspension is inplace to be tuned to match it's handling capabilities.

Damienr8
March 1st, 2007, 23:24
:trash:
I have a very good feeling that the RS5 will be with us in 2008 and will be running the current RS4 engine with a few tweaks.

All the signs are pointing to a launch a lot sooner than current offerings.
Think about it, the last S4 and M3 were equal on power but this time round the M3 will be up to 70hp more powerful, why would Audi launch the S5 now if it was not changing it's role in the range from the rival and alternative to the M3 to the now rival and alternative to the 335i. The S5 will be no more than £40K tops but will quite possible be no higher than £38K while the 335i M/Sport will be priced at £35~36K. The M3 has been indicated as costing as much as £48K a possible £10K price difference, the two models are no longer competing for the same customers where as a RS5 at £52 will be a direct rival in power and price bracket.

This paves the way for the RS5 to enter a lot sooner into the market place and complete directly with the M3 instead of above it where it has previously been. This is possible because the basics are already there like the engine. Small tweaks like the ones the S5 received will give the RS5 a smaller power hike lifting the output to the 435~440hp bracket giving it a small edge over the M3 and justifying it higher price. There is yet no DSG gearbox and no trick suspension both of which have been talked about. The gearbox I believe will be launched with the A4 and introduced as a option on both models offering 7 gears, the suspension option will be either magnetic ride or air, I personally prefer the former as it's more in keeping with a sporty ride. Two things that will be standard and can transform the RS5 into a hell of a quick and capable car even with such a small power increase over the RS4.

If the S5 can drop 0.5s from that of the S4 with a small 10hp increase than a like wise increase combined with DSG 7speed will drop the already amazing 4.7s official time to a more amazing 4.3s and keep the RS5 ahead of the up and coming M3. If BMW does introduce a CSL model then a RS5+ with valvelift would give it the extra power to compete and the suspension is inplace to be tuned to match it's handling capabilities.

I agree with the fact that we will be seeing the RS5 soon. I think Audi is introducing the RS models earlier in the model lifecycles. I also like the fact that RS models are made in exclusive numbers, this adds to their value and uniqueness. I can wait for the upcoming A5 / M3 battles. But realistically, is the A5 really an M3 competitor. Are they in the same class?

On a personal note, I Hope to god that horsepower wars stop soon. I can Imagine by the time im 40 years old, the RS4 will be pusing 850 HP from a quad charged V8 FSI Valvelifte.

QuattroFun
March 4th, 2007, 18:18
2009 is my guess for the RS5 intro. The challenge will be the engine - its closest peer - the current CLK 63 AMG - pumps out a massive 481bhp and 630Nm from a 6.2L V8 so the RS5 really needs a tweaked version of the V10 from the S8 to be competitive.

Leadfoot
March 4th, 2007, 22:16
2009 is my guess for the RS5 intro. The challenge will be the engine - its closest peer - the current CLK 63 AMG - pumps out a massive 481bhp and 630Nm from a 6.2L V8 so the RS5 really needs a tweaked version of the V10 from the S8 to be competitive.

If their intend to put the 5.2L into the RS5, why give the S5 only 354hp that would leave a gap of well over 100hp if by your thinking they will give it similar power of the C63.

You see this is my problem with this thinking, that is an almighty gap between the two models and a lot bigger than the last two versions.

Why introduce the S5 now if this wasn't the intend power difference between the two models? The only way it could work is if when the RS5 is introduced the S5 gets a power hike more in keeping with a S model and why no standard A5 v8.

QuattroFun
March 5th, 2007, 18:48
Maybe they will use the current V8 4.2L FSI from the RS4 with Valvelift or maybe they will dump it for a turbo version or NA V10 - we will see. But: remember that the bhp gap between the current S4 and RS4 of just 76 bhp is an anomaly - not the norm. The MkI RS4 had 115bhp and the RS6 Mk I had 110bhp more than the S version. Also, the current S4 was originally intended to have only 300bhp until some wise guy from the marketing department wanted at a late stage it to be pitched as a M3 slayer and they designed it to have one more horse...

Leadfoot
March 5th, 2007, 20:39
QuattroFun,

It's just a shame the marketing man who decised that the last time didn't get his way this time round.

JavierNuvolari
March 5th, 2007, 22:41
RS5...RS5....I would like to see it with a 3.2/3.6 90ºV biturbo valvelift engine....with at least some good 430hp plus a 7speed DSG. It's highly unlikely to happen but I would be all over the car if it did happen. Anyways, back to reality...and I think it'll have the RS4 engine.

Cheers all,

Javier

rqiu
March 6th, 2007, 00:20
RS5...RS5....I would like to see it with a 3.2/3.6 90ºV biturbo valvelift engine....with at least some good 430hp plus a 7speed DSG. It's highly unlikely to happen but I would be all over the car if it did happen. Anyways, back to reality...and I think it'll have the RS4 engine.

Cheers all,

Javier

I think they will at least add VL to the RS4 engine. IMHO, V10 is a good idea for RS5.

Leadfoot
March 6th, 2007, 00:27
I think the opportunity to go the smaller engine route with 3.2/3.6 turbo unit has gone with the S5. No the RS5 will either use the RS4 engine mildly tweaked or the 5.2Lv10 which I doubt because it will step to much on big brother's toes. That is unless the RS6 kicks out more than 525hp, then the RS5 could use the engine with up to 460hp.

rqiu
March 6th, 2007, 00:57
Note that S6 already has the V10, so it should be alright to use V10 for RS5. Maybe they will introduce Bi-turbo V10 for RS6.

JavierNuvolari
March 6th, 2007, 02:10
Mmmm.... perhaps a V10 would be too heavy for a car such as the A5(RS5) and the efforts to shorten the front overhang would be lost. A good call would be a V8, even better a V6(damn I love that idea).

Javier

rqiu
March 6th, 2007, 02:31
I would think the other way around - moving the engine position further back provides an excellent opportunity to use a V10.

JavierNuvolari
March 6th, 2007, 02:38
It sure does, but what about the weight? It shouldn't matter because it will be nearer the center of the car?

rqiu
March 6th, 2007, 02:47
The extra power and torque that V10 provides will compensate for the weight gain. You know, the same argument could be made when V8 was first introduced in the S4 and RS4, and at that time the whole engine was hanging in front of the axle.

JavierNuvolari
March 6th, 2007, 02:50
Hoo....right. But I was thinking more of the unsprung wheight/mass of the V10Nice of you to answer my questions mate.

Alex Kim
March 22nd, 2007, 14:37
I heard from my friend (not that believeable source but..) that RS5 will have the new RS6 engine..(V10TT or V10 whatever that is gonna be..)

If so.. RS5 is gonna.... be the best.

But IMO, I am even worring if RS5 will be out within 5 years.. I hope it arrives early and be the best!

Leadfoot
March 22nd, 2007, 15:13
I heard from my friend (not that believeable source but..) that RS5 will have the new RS6 engine..(V10TT or V10 whatever that is gonna be..)

If so.. RS5 is gonna.... be the best.

But IMO, I am even worring if RS5 will be out within 5 years.. I hope it arrives early and be the best!

If your friend is right and it will be a version of the next RS6 engine then chances are that is will not be out within the foreseeable future, but all the pointers are showing that the RS5 will use a version of the current RS4 be it with small changes here or there. If this is the case then I reckon we will see a RS5 within two years at the most.

I think we will all know a lot more when finally the specs for the RS6 are known. If it gets a 520~550hp N/A v10 then I reckon the RS5 will still run a RS4 engine, but if the RS6 get a TTv10 then there is a chance of a N/A v10 for the RS5.

AndyBG
March 22nd, 2007, 16:51
I think 4.2 V8 440 ps

or maybe some new V8, there was rumers about some 4.7 V8 in preparation in Audi pit, but I think that is BS.

So, 4.2 V8 N/A 440 ps, my guess.

QuattroFun
March 22nd, 2007, 17:09
There are no doubt merits for suspecting that an updated and beefed version of the RS4 engine will be found also in the RS5 - but adding 20 horses to 440 does not move the game forward in the acceleration department and it will still short of the new C63 AMG so handling would have to be exceptional...

AndyBG
March 22nd, 2007, 17:12
It will be, I'm sure.

But 440 ps, IMHO is bigest power that this car can get.

Leadfoot
March 23rd, 2007, 17:52
There are no doubt merits for suspecting that an updated and beefed version of the RS4 engine will be found also in the RS5 - but adding 20 horses to 440 does not move the game forward in the acceleration department and it will still short of the new C63 AMG so handling would have to be exceptional...

It will be, just wait for what is said about the S5. You will be amazed.:bigeyes:

Finnus
March 23rd, 2007, 18:24
It will be, just wait for what is said about the S5. You will be amazed.

Don't keep us in suspense ...

Finnus

Leadfoot
March 23rd, 2007, 18:48
Finnus,

I can only said what my friend (Sales manager) who has already sampled the car says those very words. It is in his opinion much better than the RS4 and will all know how good it is.

QuattroFun
March 23rd, 2007, 19:48
Well, the technical signs are surely good but let us see what the end result is. To most real-world buyers of the S5/RS5 handling is much more than the bragging rights from a 5sec gain on the Ring in optimal conditions driven by Tom Kristensen. How much will the new platform improve the balance between ride, safety and stressless daily useability and agility, body control, feel & fluency? Will it feel much better and more fun in our hands, on the road and in all the conditions we face or mainly be surgically sharper and faster on paper? Time will tell...

Finnus
March 23rd, 2007, 20:44
[my friend (Sales manager) says] in his opinion much better than the RS4
and w[e] all know how good it is.

Leadfoot,

If it's that good, it will surely send Jeremy Clarkson into a terminal swoon of ecstasy!

Finnus

Randy M
May 7th, 2007, 19:01
One of the reasons why I didn't take delivery of a B7 RS4 is that they introduced the car way late in the production cycle. The B6/B7 are very much alike, the B6 produced since 2001 IIRC. I knew the B7 was going to be replaced in short order so I figured to wait until the B8. I've always wanted a 4 seat coupe (having had an E46 M3) but Audi never made one until now.

If I could have it my way I'd want a twin turbo 4.2L in the RS5 but I doubt that'll happen. I'll be taking European Delivery of an RS5 whenever they start production, hopefully coinciding with Oktoberfest. I should have enough time to plan for this trip, and maybe learn a bit of the German language. I'll take it to the Nurbergring, Black Forest, Garmisch/Partekirchen etc. I haven't been to Europe since the late 90's.

Slayaah
May 14th, 2007, 07:48
I just read a paper in swedish about the new Rs5, they said that it's gonna be released in summer 2008. They will use the same 4.2l V8 with twinturbos and is going to have 450 hp and atleast 500 lb/fts of torque..

Randy M
May 14th, 2007, 16:39
4.2 TT seems to be the current rumor. hope it's true:thumb:

Leadfoot
May 14th, 2007, 18:26
4.2 TT seems to be the current rumor. hope it's true:thumb:

I am wondering, does Quattro GmbH have the capacity to handle the production of the R8, RS6 and RS5 as well, all at the same time. I know the site is expending but didn't know it was to the size and man power that would allow such an expended model group.

I was always under the impression that if the current A6 is due for replacement in 2009 then the RS6 will run up to this date where as the RS5 would start production. I do sincerely hope I am wrong on this one.:rolleyes:

BSR
May 14th, 2007, 20:20
One of the reasons why I didn't take delivery of a B7 RS4 is that they introduced the car way late in the production cycle. The B6/B7 are very much alike, the B6 produced since 2001 IIRC.

psst--- the B6 came out here as a 2004 model here in the States.

RB :thumb:

Randy M
May 14th, 2007, 20:22
Yes for the S4, the A4 was 2001.5 iirc

BSR
May 14th, 2007, 20:33
thats right.

I had S4 on the brain there.

:harass:RB

Thrives
May 15th, 2007, 16:18
One more for thr rumour mill ...

RS5, 2008, V8, 450 Bhp +500 lfbt :bow:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/secret_new_car.php?sid=701&page=1

Looks and sounds very yum-yum :)

:incar:

Leadfoot
May 15th, 2007, 23:36
Isn't it amazing that we have all this photoshops of the RS5 which is at best over a year away and as yet we are no closer to seeing the finished RS6 which is only a few months away.

Come guys, get working.