PDA

View Full Version : MMI - iPod: The way it should have been?!

Webbah
March 1st, 2007, 08:30
Hi Everyone,

I just read this article last night and was amazed to see that the newer versions of the MMI for models A6, A8 and Q7 with the iPod AMI support track names and browsing by Genre, Title, Album, etc... See the attached article and screenshot of the interface.

Would anyone on this board happen to know if we can or will get an upgrade to the RS4 MMI/RNS-E system to support this??

I was told by the stealer/dealer that the only reason we can't browse or see any track names is "audi didn't want to pay the license fees".

Interesting eh? :vhmmm:

Webbah

roadrunner
March 1st, 2007, 09:49
If it is for the B7 A4 / S4 / RS4 - my guess would be no. Why invest in a Navi unit that will be replaced on the comming B8 models (A5, A4?) with the "pure" MMI unit, that can do the task.

But on the other hand, I'dont know how close the Nav unit in the new TT is (maybe even the same) to yours. And the Nav unit in the R8 seems to be based on the RNS-E system as well. This would be a reason for audi to implelemnt this feauture into the RSN-E system.

The licensing fees cannot be the reason, otherwise they would not offer it in the A6, A8, Q7.

greetings
seb.

PetrolDave
March 1st, 2007, 12:50
Would anyone on this board happen to know if we can or will get an upgrade to the RS4 MMI/RNS-E system to support this??

I was told by the stealer/dealer that the only reason we can't browse or see any track names is "audi didn't want to pay the license fees".
That dealer is talking complete rubbish!

The RNS-E and Concert/Symphony/Chorus radios connect to the Ipod using the Audi CD changer interface - which has NO support for CD-text or anything other than CD number (1 thru 6) and track number (1 thru 99).

So it is TECHNICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for any connection using that interface to show album/track names.

The MMI system on the A6/A8/Q7 uses a completely different interface, which is why it DOES display album/track names.

Since the B8 A4/S4(/RS4?) will use the MMI system there's no way I can see Audi developing a soon to be obsolete interface.

MR USER
March 1st, 2007, 18:50
Dave on this topic I just noticed an add on issue 101 or EVO (uk version). The product is called IPLUGRDS (www.iplug-rds.com). They claim that you can use the wheel of the ipod to control it, you will see the infos on the screen of your unit and much more...
Do you know if is any good?

Webbah
March 1st, 2007, 19:22
That dealer is talking complete rubbish!

The RNS-E and Concert/Symphony/Chorus radios connect to the Ipod using the Audi CD changer interface - which has NO support for CD-text or anything other than CD number (1 thru 6) and track number (1 thru 99).

So it is TECHNICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for any connection using that interface to show album/track names.

The MMI system on the A6/A8/Q7 uses a completely different interface, which is why it DOES display album/track names.

Since the B8 A4/S4(/RS4?) will use the MMI system there's no way I can see Audi developing a soon to be obsolete interface.

That's what I thought. Thanks Dave! So, it seems that even if we did have a CD Changer we couldn't benefit from CD's with CD-TEXT data as well? This has been around for years and was cool to have on some older Alpines I used to have.

PetrolDave
March 2nd, 2007, 13:08
So, it seems that even if we did have a CD Changer we couldn't benefit from CD's with CD-TEXT data as well?
You're 100% correct.

The Audi CD changer interface is positively pre-historic.

PetrolDave
March 2nd, 2007, 13:19
Dave on this topic I just noticed an add on issue 101 or EVO (uk version). The product is called IPLUGRDS (www.iplug-rds.com). They claim that you can use the wheel of the ipod to control it, you will see the infos on the screen of your unit and much more...
Do you know if is any good?
First time I've seen that.

Their statement that it's not an FM modulator system is untrue, IT IS.

So there will be the audio quality limitations inherent in that (limited frequency response being the main one) - their claim of "CD audio quality" isn't accurate.

Having said that it's a neat idea generating an RDS signal and using that to show the track information.