PDA

View Full Version : My intercooler form sportec just arrived! Any thoughts before installation?

parkertseng
February 25th, 2007, 01:58
Ordered upgrade intercooler and oil cooler stuff and muffler from Sportec.
shippment came few days ago!
Any thoughts from you guys before installation?
thanks!

BuddRS6
February 25th, 2007, 02:14
I did the Sportec IC's on mine two months ago. Had a hard time dealing with the additional radiators that AUDI hung on the back of the stock IC's. I hung them from some exisiting frame brackets, and did not re attach to the new IC's. Has to help the IC's by getting the heat from those radiators off the IC's, and reducing the restriction to air flow. Probably does not help the little radiators do their job.

Had a friend help with bumper re install, to avoid paint scrapes from the studs on the edge of the bumper.

Had to trim the behind the bumper air scoops a bit to fit.

I have no experience with the oil coolers.

Good Luck!

Avus-RS6
February 25th, 2007, 02:33
Budd,

Do you have before and after dyno numbers, and or pictures of the stock vs sported IC's side by side? Why did you decide to upgrade IC's, and do you find it a worthwhile upgrade.

BuddRS6
February 25th, 2007, 03:32
Wow, ----I am embarrassed to say I can't find my pics. --- But, Sportec IC's have far more frontal area. And the scoops do a much better job of ducting air to the IC's. Deleting the fog lamps is a big plus. Getting those nasty, nasty, aux. radiators off is HUGE.

The stock IC is thicker than the Sport Tec. Thickness is not useful, because the delta T decreases the longer the air is in contact with the IC. By the time the air gets to the back of the IC , there is no differential to suck the heat out of the air. Frontal area, and low resistance to air flow are key, and I think the Sport Tec units fit the bill.

Have b4 Dyno Numbers, have not gone back yet for after numbers.

Why did I do it? It was fun, and will help performance. Was it worth it? Only because I could be dead tomorow (;-)!!

Later---

skiwi
February 25th, 2007, 03:58
many rs6's don't have the aux rdiators. they were standard on the rs6+, and specified for hotter climates...

Avus-RS6
February 25th, 2007, 05:03
Why did I do it? It was fun, and will help performance. Was it worth it? Only because I could be dead tomorow (;-)!!

I hear ya. Life's short, eat dessert first is my motto!

I am very interested to see the before and after dyno numbers. I expect that the gains are greater for those running more than stock boost levels. I would also be interested in seeing pressure drop, flow, and efficiency tests of stock vs Sportec IC's?

parkertseng
February 25th, 2007, 08:59
thanks for the response!
my friend said the whole set comes with a replacement of the stock water cool radiator!
but when I saw the one from Sportec, it is just like the stock one, size wise.
the only differnce I can tell from view is the color.
stock one is black and the one from Sportec is original aluminum color.
is it lighter? or can do more heat exchange form the stock one?
or maybe my friend make a mistake? it is not included?
this is the set I ordered:
ntercooler upgrade kit with oilcooler upgrade kit
Article Nr. 10 13 00 545
Kit consist of 2 intercoolers, 1 engine-oil cooler and 1 gearbox-oil cooler, air inlets in carbon