PDA

View Full Version : 800 hp BMW M5 E60 - Can someone please tell them how to turbo an engine ;)

Erik
February 23rd, 2007, 17:38
Look what the cat brought in...

I wonder if they had Porsche Turbo as inspiration when they placed the turbos back in the car ;)

http://www.motorauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/BMW/Tuners/Currency/M5/tt_m503.jpg

What do you do when your 500hp M5 just isn’t doing it for you anymore? You call California-based Currency Motors who, by adding a pair of turbochargers, turns the standard M5 into the world’s fastest and most powerful four-door luxury sedan on the planet. That’s right. This modified M5 delivers up to 810hp and is capable of reaching a top speed of 240mph.

For the $350,000 price tag, Currency Motors adds its own hand-built intercooler system, a full custom exhaust and of course, two huge turbochargers. In a strange move, the engineers placed the turbos under the rear bumper, forcing the charged air to run up the passenger side of the car. This was necessary as there would have been too much heat if the turbos were up front. Testament to BMW’s engineering, the SMG transmission has been left untouched.

Inside, the leather on the steering wheel and seats gets replaced with fully aniline dyed Florida crocodile in black, similar material used in the finest Bugatti roadsters of the 1930’s. Interested buyers better be quick because there are plans for only 10 copies, and at the moment the car is available in the US only.

http://www.motorauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/BMW/Tuners/Currency/M5/tt_m502.jpg
http://www.motorauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/BMW/Tuners/Currency/M5/tt_m501.jpg

Avus-RS6
February 23rd, 2007, 18:19
I guess when you already have 500hp on tap without turbos, you don't have to worry too much about turbo lag, although I am sure they had to lower the compression of the engine to run enough boost for 800hp.

That setup is absolutely insane! I'll bet someone could easily get that much power out of the RS6 engine for much less money, including the cost of a reinforced tranny or even a manual tranny swap.

skiwi
February 23rd, 2007, 19:55
errr, reality check.

$350k for a bmw????

with a dreadful turbo installation? rule #2 of turbo installation is that pressure loss kills turbo response, and pressure loss is very much easier to contain over short intake pipes, which is why engineers work very hard on this. to say nothing of throttle repsonse (rule #3) whcih needs short intake pipes as well...

and rule#1?

is it necessary, and will it work....

if in doubt, read corky bell's book.

Lateknight
February 23rd, 2007, 21:05
Bet this car has horrible throttle response. :lovl:

I've never heard of a turbo installation where the blowers are 10 foot away from the engine :hahahehe:

And then they left the SMG alone :vhmmm: bad enough in a standard M5 :rotflmao:

Ruergard
February 23rd, 2007, 21:59
240 mph? :rolleyes:

I'll believe this figures when I see the car perform it!

Duma
February 23rd, 2007, 22:31
350k dollars...they are crazy....

chewym
February 23rd, 2007, 23:54
240 mph if you want to die. Unlike the Bugatti Veyron I don't see any aerodynamic aids to be able to do that. It would also need the Veyron tires as it weighs the same and wants to go almost as fast. I am sure it can pump out 810 hp, but I doubt it will ever go 240 mph. Plus the price is quite crazy for a turbo kit.

Aronis
February 24th, 2007, 02:03
Interesting, but where are the Mufflers? Surely that setup could not be street legal from a noise standpoint? But still the same it must sound Purely SICK.

Mike

quick500
February 24th, 2007, 05:38
Ive had and RS6 with the rear mufflers removed all together and it wasnt that loud and still driveable.

Bingocaller
February 26th, 2007, 12:54
I bet u some guy´s in the middle east area are willing to pat those figures!

Remember the SLK55 with the SLR engine? or those crazy turbo charged Land crusiers? None of those come cheap

mr
February 26th, 2007, 15:44
I bet u some guy´s in the middle east area are willing to pat those figures!

Remember the SLK55 with the SLR engine? or those crazy turbo charged Land crusiers? None of those come cheap

I don't think that the guys buying such cars do really care about the price of such "toys" -> there's always just one point -> owning the fastest of the specific cars worldwide.
This project reminds me of the supercharging - project on the E39 M5 done by Discovery Automotive for a handfull of cars -> really amazing project ... and sure not cheap also -> but as mentioned above ... in that league they don't seem to care about prices.

well ... the only strange thing about the car are the turbos behind the catalytic converters, but well ... they surely will know what they did (ok, ... i hope so).

rgds
mr

Gustav
February 27th, 2007, 20:43
More info here:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=977816#post977816

Rupert
February 28th, 2007, 09:58
Testament to BMW’s engineering, the SMG transmission has been left untouched.

WTF? Is it also testament to BMW's engineering that so many owners are having problems with the standard car's SMG transmission?

It looks like a bodge job... and the price :doh:

bober3
March 4th, 2007, 22:32
800 hp!!!!! that's amazing do everybody know if there are a video on the web

Bigglezworth
March 6th, 2007, 05:16
I pull more than 800hp form my single turbo Buick and one of the main reasons is that the turbo is directly at the end of the header pipe where the best exhaust pressure is. Even mid engine cars don't have the plumbing woes this set-up has. Why the hell anyone would even contemplate putting a turbo at the end of a long tail pipe and running it up to the front of the car again is beyond me.