PDA

View Full Version : Road and Track Road Test

February 22nd, 2007, 03:05
Well, we have numbers from another source.

I don't want to say they are dissapointing since I really thought the motortrend numbers were pessimistic and on a car that wasn't broken in.

They like it and it handles well I just don't understand why it isn't putting up much better numbers than the RS4 with so much less weight and the changes to the powerplant. It isn't meeting the numbers audi set forth, and yes acceleration numbers aren't everything I know but it isn't going to be faster than carrera S if this is accurate.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=4784

download the data panel to get a nice look at everything

chewym
February 22nd, 2007, 03:26
I am not sure what Road and Track does with their weather/altitude correction, but that could explain it. The R8 was tested in chilly weather of 36 degrees F plus at altitude of 2,550 feet (less oxygen). Even if Road and Track corrected for such factors, I am sure the results aren't perfect.

Last summer RT tested the RS4 and the 911 4s togather. In that test the RS4 posted its best 0-60 time ever recorded by a magazine of 4.3 seconds. It looks like the 4s also posted one of its best times. 4.1 seconds which is better than most publications have goten for it. (this also includes quarter mile as well)

I believe the only way to get extremely precise comparisons between different vehicles is during comparison tests at the same location.

February 22nd, 2007, 03:31
I am not sure what Road and Track does with their weather/altitude correction, but that could explain it. The R8 was tested in chilly weather of 36 degrees F plus at altitude of 2,550 feet (less oxygen). Even if Road and Track corrected for such factors, I am sure the results aren't perfect.

Last summer RT tested the RS4 and the 911 4s togather. In that test the RS4 posted its best 0-60 time ever recorded by a magazine of 4.3 seconds. It looks like the 4s also posted one of its best times. 4.1 seconds which is better than most publications have goten for it. (this also includes quarter mile as well)

I believe the only way to get extremely precise comparisons between different vehicles is during comparison tests at the same location.
Definitely, they have to be tested together to get an exact idea but even with the changes I expected more optimistic numbers for the eventual comparison. They do correct as well, so we will see. 2,550 shouldn't kill it, when I would take my M3 to the strip I could match some magazine times in an SMG at 2,000 elevation.

Maybe the engine is tight?

chewym
February 22nd, 2007, 03:54
Definitely, they have to be tested together to get an exact idea but even with the changes I expected more optimistic numbers for the eventual comparison. They do correct as well, so we will see. 2,550 shouldn't kill it, when I would take my M3 to the strip I could match some magazine times in an SMG at 2,000 elevation.

Maybe the engine is tight?

While 2,550 feet of altitude isn't much and if RT does correct for it I still think that the correction factor isn't 100% perfect. If they correct for temperature (air density) they can get that right but I am not sure about tires running @ 36 degrees. I think tires need a bit more heat to perform ideally and I doubt that it's taken in acount. That is the coldest I have ever seen RT test a vehicle. In the end I think that the R8 will do fine when it is put head to head, it already has 1 victory.:race: :revs:

Also, it appears that the RS4 gains some muscle with more miles. I think that Audi should only provide vehicles for magazines with 2,000+ miles.

Erik
February 22nd, 2007, 09:45
The acceleration up to 120 mph is disappointing.

Clearly, this car is about handling.

Leadfoot
February 22nd, 2007, 11:32
Clearly this car is about handling, but every supercar or at the very least every car that is thought of as a supercar should be able to walk the walk.

These figures are no better than any times for the RS4 which is heavier but I do believe that the extra weight over the front and the proper Quattro system is giving it an advantage to 60mph at least. As Sticky said here's hoping it's engine was tight and better times will come after launch.

February 22nd, 2007, 12:09
The thing is I really don't think we should have to sit here and make excuses for why the car didn't perform. I was of the thinking that the factory numbers were conservative and audi would suprisingly over achieve. Still have my fingers crossed.

Motortrend and Road and Track did get very similar numbers...

Leadfoot
February 22nd, 2007, 13:06
I wouldn't be surprised if these were the worst figures this car will achieve and Qisha give the impression that the car will live up to our expectations in every way.

The car is achieving great reviews and all say the performance feels above that of a 997 S which did out perform the RS4 in said test so it is possible that the car both magazines tested were one in the same car which might have be trashed by the many motoring press that have had it.

Also every RS4 owner on this site has reported a performance improvement with mileage so I think it's a waiting game before it's real potential.

MR USER
February 22nd, 2007, 15:44
It takes 15k km before the engine gives its full potential...

In my experiance I smoked every single porsche I met so far (No Turbo and Carrera GT yet), one F360 (not in top speed but around bends he was sooo way back!) and 2 M5 (had them for bfast hi hi!!) and a Maserati Quattroporte (sport version).

on the other hand I have been smoked by a panda 4x4... (on snow with summer tyres)

roadrunner
February 22nd, 2007, 16:12
In my experiance I smoked...one F360 (not in top speed but around bends he was sooo way back!)

I've heard this story before :thumb:

... on the other hand I have been smoked by a panda 4x4... (on snow with summer tyres)

Sometimes life is brutal. :lovl:

OT: I envy you for seeing the A5 / S5 in a couple of days at the show.

I hope thay have something adequate in 2008 when i hope to be able to go to the Geneva Salon for the first time (every IAA since 89)

Take care :cheers:
seb.

ZCD2.7T
March 2nd, 2007, 03:23
Of course, the real story of the article is stated in the first sentence:

"This is the first car I've desperately wanted since I started working at Road & Track."

What more is there to say?:wo: :incar:

SoCal
March 2nd, 2007, 07:35
Of course, the real story of the article is stated in the first sentence:

"This is the first car I've desperately wanted since I started working at Road & Track."

What more is there to say?:wo: :incar:

My hat's off to Shaun Bailey. His impressions of the R8 largely matched mine. Having driven the R8 myself in Las Vegas a few weeks ago, I would have to say that this sentence from the R&T article really sums it up: "it offers supercar styling and handling for a sum just beyond that of the Porsche 911.". Styling and handling are both superb. Acceleration, on the other hand, is adequate but not awe-inspiring. For a daily driver and even for a car that is fun on the track, the power is certainly sufficient. But it lacks the raw thrust and visceral tug that you kind of want in a car that is otherwise this good. Maybe the V10 (despite the extra weight) will offer that kind of feel. Or maybe I'm just spoiled by turbos.

Anyway, what a marvelous ride this car is. The numbers don't really capture the essence of the sheer fun and confidence the new R8 gives the driver, to say nothing of the longing looks from anyone who sees it whizzing by.

:0:

PeterJohn
March 2nd, 2007, 17:17
Maybe it is a gearing "problem". Non of the reviews call it slow, so it might just have gear ratios that do not favour the timing intervals.

And 4WD slows you down. It's only in low grip conditions (corner apex, slippery surface,...) that it pays dividents.

Leadfoot
March 2nd, 2007, 17:42
With no experience of the R8, I like most here can only give an opinion on the little data that has come forth.

The R8 is a little quicker than the RS4 to 100~120mph and may increase it's gap because of wind resistance though it's no M6 slayer in acceleration but does it really need to be.

SoCal, reasoning is most likely correct that being use to turbo power a N/A engine with less torque will feel slower even if in reality it is not. No one in their right mind could call the RS4 slower even at slow speed corner as it's torque all but equals a M6 in the lower end of the rev range and likewise no one could call to slow either.

We have all seen videos of the RS4s racing M5s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Amu9LJDQLM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrESTacAyD0&mode=related&search=

The R8 will be plenty quick enough, believe me.:jlol: