PDA

View Full Version : Pics: Looks, BMW 3 series Coupé or Audi A5?

Erik
February 20th, 2007, 15:30
Don't forget to vote for the A5 :)

http://bil.feber.se/article_images/10035.jpg

http://bil.feber.se/article_images/10036.jpg

Vote, plus more and larger pics here:

http://bil.feber.se/feber/art/11639/vi_jmnfr_bmw_3serie_coup_med_a/

Make your choice then press the "Rosta" (= vote) button.

:dig:

RXBG
February 20th, 2007, 15:37
glad someone did that. makes the A5 look even better next to that other car.

RXBG
February 20th, 2007, 15:38
can't wait to see.

rqiu
February 20th, 2007, 15:42
Wow. A5 looks much better!

PeterJohn
February 20th, 2007, 17:35
Wow. I didn't like the new E92 from the pictures, but I saw a 335i at my dealership, and it looked great. The Audi looks 10 times better here. If that equation carries over in real life, it'll be a stunner.

Toto89
February 20th, 2007, 17:37
Of course i vote for the A5 but only because of those 4 rings on it! Near the 3-series i fell that they've done something which they had never before: they copied BMW! Although it's only my opinion....

chewym
February 20th, 2007, 20:32
Wow. I didn't like the new E92 from the pictures, but I saw a 335i at my dealership, and it looked great. The Audi looks 10 times better here. If that equation carries over in real life, it'll be a stunner.

Same here, the 3 series coupe didn't look that great at first, but it turned out very good looking. I am sure the same thing will occur with the A5. When the R8 first came out, I had some doubts. But then they quickly dissapeared, same with the A5.

Ruergard
February 20th, 2007, 20:38
73% For the A5 right now.
27% for the Beemer.

And for me ofcourse the A5, fantastic!

AudiAllroad
February 20th, 2007, 20:46
73% For the A5 right now.
27% for the Beemer.

And for me ofcourse the A5, fantastic!

A5 all the way! Still same results.

Saw the voting on GCZ, they seem to love BMW. The result was a huge win for BMW.

/Audi

Ruergard
February 20th, 2007, 20:57
A5 all the way! Still same results.

Saw the voting on GCZ, they seem to love BMW. The result was a huge win for BMW.

/Audi

Weird, really can't see why! ;)

Leadfoot
February 20th, 2007, 21:58
Come on sticky, if you weren't a total convert to the brand before now, you must be by now. As already said before, it only when put beside another nicer car like the 3series coupe do you really understand how stunning the A5 is.

P.S.

Does anyone want to buy a Q7 3.0TDi S/Line with delivery miles.

Leadfoot
February 20th, 2007, 22:00
Erik, is it possible for you to show something like the new A5 side-on with the 3series Coupe to see what the wheel positions are like between the two.

ZeroCool
February 21st, 2007, 09:34
I also voted for the A5 ... what else ... it's the more beautiful car!!

@toto89...

As i said in the other Thread here...i think BMW copied AUDI ... because AUDI had the A3 Sportback, Allroad Concept and so on before BMW presented their Coupe...

February 21st, 2007, 09:52
Come on sticky, if you weren't a total convert to the brand before now, you must be by now. As already said before, it only when put beside another nicer car like the 3series coupe do you really understand how stunning the A5 is.

P.S.

Does anyone want to buy a Q7 3.0TDi S/Line with delivery miles.
Huh? They look like the same thing, except the BMW has a much better powerplant. If you flipped the badges no one would notice.

Erik
February 21st, 2007, 10:01
Huh? They look like the same thing

No, the Audi A5 looks much better.

At least that's what 71% of the voters think...

"Audi A5 or BMW 3 Coupé?"

Audi A5 (AA) 840 71%
BMW 3 Coupé (B3C) 337 29%

Leadfoot
February 21st, 2007, 10:37
Huh? They look like the same thing, except the BMW has a much better powerplant. If you flipped the badges no one would notice.

Sticky,

Stop being so vain about yourself, it's about time you got yourself glasses.:D

Oh and while your at it, check yourself into the hospital for a brain check, 'except the BMW has a much better powerplant', please.:lovl:

How on earth can you live with yourself buying a car (R8) with such an inferior powerplant, pray to your god BMW and hope he forgives you.:rolleyes:

Charles DLF
February 21st, 2007, 10:41
i never liked the new 3 series coupe, but i voted for it, i'm sorry but those sidelines on the A5??? WTFFFF?????? first time in many many years audi is a big disapointment for me!

February 21st, 2007, 10:59
Sticky,

Stop being so vain about yourself, it's about time you got yourself glasses.:D

Oh and while your at it, check yourself into the hospital for a brain check, 'except the BMW has a much better powerplant', please.:lovl:

How on earth can you live with yourself buying a car (R8) with such an inferior powerplant, pray to your god BMW and hope he forgives you.:rolleyes:
I didn't say anything about the R8. I said the 335 has a better powerplant than the A5, which it does. It has a better powerplant than the S5 as well if it is just going to use the S4 v8.

The A5 doesn't look better, it looks similar. You can't hate the 3 series and love the A5 just like you can't hate the A5 and love the 3 series.

February 21st, 2007, 11:01
No, the Audi A5 looks much better.

At least that's what 71% of the voters think...

"Audi A5 or BMW 3 Coupé?"

Audi A5 (AA) 840 71%
BMW 3 Coupé (B3C) 337 29%
Have you seen this link posted on a BMW forum because I haven't. I don't need to be omniscient to see where most of the votes from here are going to go and only someone trying to prove that the A5 looks better would go look for a poll from some obscure website that isn't in English.

The A5 is good looking just as the 3 series is. If you guys think this is some kind of styling tour de force you are crazy. This car doesn't push any edges further in design it just plays it safe and relies heavily on design cues BMW has already tried in the marketplace to great success.

This car does not have revolutionary styling like the R8 and looks boring from the front. The headlights are a bit of a step backward considering how edgy the B7 and R8 headlights were. I'm lukewarm towards it, I don't hate it, I'm not in love with it, but it surely isn't ugly.

Leadfoot
February 21st, 2007, 13:33
I didn't say anything about the R8. I said the 335 has a better powerplant than the A5, which it does. It has a better powerplant than the S5 as well if it is just going to use the S4 v8.

The A5 doesn't look better, it looks similar. You can't hate the 3 series and love the A5 just like you can't hate the A5 and love the 3 series.

Once again you are taking the topic off to something else but I will reply as I always do.:doh:

Are you not shooting yourself in the foot by this statement as basically the R8 engine is a tuned version of the S4. I agree that the engine from the 335i is impressive but only from the turbo application and the minimal turbo lag present, but to achieve 300hp for a 3.0L engine is not pushing the edges of technology especially when the EVO has 400hp from 2.0L and the S3 has 265hp from the same size of engine.

After sampling all three I still feel the S4 better combines what is great from the other two, the power of the M3 with the deep torque of the 335i in a package which is smoother with a better sound than either.:p

Fair point about the looks, but they are different but if seen separately the less trained eye might mistake one for the other but the only person that would make this mistake is a silly girl or bloke who's balls haven't dropped. Seen together the difference is obvious, while to 3series looks slim and nimble, the A5 looks muscular and beefy or in other words a man's car.:dig:

El_cucaracha
February 21st, 2007, 14:00
Audi A5 (AA) 934
BMW 3 Coupé (B3C) 392

i'm happy when i see that people have good taste...

RXBG
February 21st, 2007, 14:35
it is a matter of taste for sure. i was behind a 335i yesterday. it didn't look bad at all, at least when looking at it at car level.

then i saw an S4 from behind. and it was....................... better :)

Leadfoot
February 21st, 2007, 14:41
Sticky,

After reading all of your comments I see a better likeness than the A5 and the 335i Coupe right on our doorstep. It's you and SuperstarDriver, two peas in a pod only from different sides of the fence.

February 21st, 2007, 14:46
Once again you are taking the topic off to something else but I will reply as I always do.:doh:

Are you not shooting yourself in the foot by this statement as basically the R8 engine is a tuned version of the S4. I agree that the engine from the 335i is impressive but only from the turbo application and the minimal turbo lag present, but to achieve 300hp for a 3.0L engine is not pushing the edges of technology especially when the EVO has 400hp from 2.0L and the S3 has 265hp from the same size of engine.

After sampling all three I still feel the S4 better combines what is great from the other two, the power of the M3 with the deep torque of the 335i in a package which is smoother with a better sound than either.:p

Fair point about the looks, but they are different but if seen separately the less trained eye might mistake one for the other but the only person that would make this mistake is a silly girl or bloke who's balls haven't dropped. Seen together the difference is obvious, while to 3series looks slim and nimble, the A5 looks muscular and beefy or in other words a man's car.:dig:
Ok this is going to get way off topic but if you are calling the 335 motor unimpressive due to hp per liter you don't know much about the motor. Look at the compression ratio on it compared to other turbo mills and do you think BMW would really rate it higher than 300 hp and piss off all E46 m3 owners? Look at dyno charts of the motor to see how underrated it is. It is putting down the same hp to the wheels as an E46 M3 with a broader torque curve. If you want to get into HP/ per liter BMW has been doing that extremely well for decades, certainly to a greater extent than their commpetition.

You are comparing an evo 4 cylinder turbo mill to bmw's motor? Come on, that is a peaky, laggy turbo motor. It drives nothing like the 335.

If you feel the S4 or A5 is better that is fine. You always will, good for you. When Audi builds a better car, I won't sit here and blow BMW sunshine up your butt but admit it. I personally think it is stupid to name the a5 the "victor" or "mans car" based on how it looks. I don't think it is very manly to be so caught up in looks as a deciding factor especially when the cars look so similar.

February 21st, 2007, 14:53
Sticky,

After reading all of your comments I see a better likeness than the A5 and the 335i Coupe right on our doorstep. It's you and SuperstarDriver, two peas in a pod only from different sides of the fence.
I do not suffer from mental retardation, comparison does not work.

Leadfoot
February 21st, 2007, 15:10
I know that some dynos have put the engine at 350hp which is more like the thing but the same has been seen with the Golf GTi which products well over factory figures, it's a condition of turbo motors, they usually produce more especially in favourable weather conditions. Secondly compression ratios are usually less because they are using bigger turbo units, more power but more lag. What BMW have done is the give the car smaller units and keep the compression higher, it's basically the best of both worlds but only up to a point and this will be seen in what a simply chip upgrade is able to achieve compared to others.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great powerplant but I prefer the way the S4v8 delivers it's power and torque, plus it's sound track is a lot better too which I also reckon is better than that of the M3, that tinny racket it makes does nothing for me.

Agreed the EVO is very peaky but the same can't be said about the S3 and I bet it's true figures are a lot more than 265hp ;) and has very little lag.

'When Audi builds a better car, I won't sit here and blow BMW sunshine up your butt' again I say why are you buying a R8 when you just stated it isn't a better car than a BMW or is it the looks what are swaying you to buy it, oh yes stupid me you don't think it's manly to buy a car on looks.:D

rqiu
February 21st, 2007, 15:17
I do not suffer from mental retardation, comparison does not work.

You may want to check again if you think that is how comparison should work.

February 21st, 2007, 15:20
I know that some dynos have put the engine at 350hp which is more like the thing but the same has been seen with the Golf GTi which products well over factory figures, it's a condition of turbo motors, they usually produce more especially in favourable weather conditions. Secondly compression ratios are usually less because they are using bigger turbo units, more power but more lag. What BMW have done is the give the car smaller units and keep the compression higher, it's basically the best of both worlds but only up to a point and this will be seen in what a simply chip upgrade is able to achieve compared to others.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great powerplant but I prefer the way the S4v8 delivers it's power and torque, plus it's sound track is a lot better too which I also reckon is better than that of the M3, that tinny racket it makes does nothing for me.

Agreed the EVO is very peaky but the same can't be said about the S3 and I bet it's true figures are a lot more than 265hp ;) and has very little lag.

'When Audi builds a better car, I won't sit here and blow BMW sunshine up your butt' again I say why are you buying a R8 when you just stated it isn't a better car than a BMW or is it the looks what are swaying you to buy it, oh yes stupid me you don't think it's manly to buy a car on looks.:D
They have already chipped the cars, 350 wheel. Come on, you need to keep up with what is going on.

If you prefer NA power then you should be all about BMW. This turbo motor is the first one BMW has done in decades (excluding diesel.) If you like a NA V8 just wait for the new M3 to show how its done, independant throttle bodies and high revs.

S3 isn't available in the US, doesn't matter, great little car though.

I am buying an R8 because Audi has a better mid engine sports car in their lineup than BMW does at the moment.

Erik
February 21st, 2007, 15:24
Have you seen this link posted on a BMW forum because I haven't.

Well, you can count the views in this thread (of which you and I have maybe added 10-15) and see that the total isn't even close to the total voters.
There are so many more links from other netrual forums this doesn't even make a change.

I don't need the votes to see that the A5 is better looking either ;)

rqiu
February 21st, 2007, 15:25
Ok this is going to get way off topic but if you are calling the 335 motor unimpressive due to hp per liter you don't know much about the motor. Look at the compression ratio on it compared to other turbo mills and do you think BMW would really rate it higher than 300 hp and piss off all E46 m3 owners? Look at dyno charts of the motor to see how underrated it is. It is putting down the same hp to the wheels as an E46 M3 with a broader torque curve. If you want to get into HP/ per liter BMW has been doing that extremely well for decades, certainly to a greater extent than their commpetition.

You are comparing an evo 4 cylinder turbo mill to bmw's motor? Come on, that is a peaky, laggy turbo motor. It drives nothing like the 335.

If you feel the S4 or A5 is better that is fine. You always will, good for you. When Audi builds a better car, I won't sit here and blow BMW sunshine up your butt but admit it. I personally think it is stupid to name the a5 the "victor" or "mans car" based on how it looks. I don't think it is very manly to be so caught up in looks as a deciding factor especially when the cars look so similar.

Sticky,

Nobody here cares about whether you'd like to drive a BMW - that is your choice. But we don't want your BMW sunshine - so keep it on your butt. You are thinking other people are stupid - however that is what everyone else here think you are.

February 21st, 2007, 15:25
Well, you can count the views in this thread (of which you and I have maybe added 10-15) and see that the total isn't even close to the total voters.
There are so many more links from other netrual forums this doesn't even make a change.

I don't need the votes to see that the A5 is better looking either ;)
Everyone has their view, no one said it didn't look good.

February 21st, 2007, 15:27
Sticky,

Nobody here cares about whether you'd like to drive a BMW - that is your choice. But we don't want your BMW sunshine - so keep it on your butt. You are thinking other people are stupid - however that is what everyone else here think you are.
I haven't insulted you, or tried to. I am not sure how I come across as stupid but that is fine. Insult me if it pleases you, I am glad the rest of the community actually wants to discuss cars and doesn't just insult people if their view is different. The thread discusses BMW in comparison to the A5, perhaps you should stick to reading?

rqiu
February 21st, 2007, 16:16
I haven't insulted you, or tried to. I am not sure how I come across as stupid but that is fine. Insult me if it pleases you, I am glad the rest of the community actually wants to discuss cars and doesn't just insult people if their view is different. The thread discusses BMW in comparison to the A5, perhaps you should stick to reading?

I was just using your language - read your own post.

Leadfoot
February 21st, 2007, 16:22
They have already chipped the cars, 350 wheel. Come on, you need to keep up with what is going on.

If you prefer NA power then you should be all about BMW. This turbo motor is the first one BMW has done in decades (excluding diesel.) If you like a NA V8 just wait for the new M3 to show how its done, independant throttle bodies and high revs.

S3 isn't available in the US, doesn't matter, great little car though.

I am buying an R8 because Audi has a better mid engine sports car in their lineup than BMW does at the moment.

Good reply,

I have no doubt the new v8 in the M3 will be an amazing engine, only time will tell if it will be as good as the one in the R8 and the RS4. I class a great engine which combines it power and torque in a package which performs well not only when going hell for leather but also sitting in fifth and sixth gear cruising along, this is where the S4 and RS4 engines really shine over others including the current M3. As an owner of an M3 you will know that it's torque is produced a little on the high side, this is OK when your going for it but useless for pottering around. This might be your thing, but every BMW M driver I have ever spoke to seem to be interested in acceleration and speed, the normal driver they say is for the lesser models, that's OK but would it not be better to have both worlds.

Will the new engine for the M3 address this, I doubt it as BMW like their M cars to be more track oriented but as it is primarily a road car I feel it won't win any converts from the Audi camp.

Erik
February 21st, 2007, 16:35
From now on, please keep to the ordinary RS6.com standard and level of language. Thanks!

chewym
February 21st, 2007, 19:46
Just going to say that the BMW 335i turbo engine uses the same technology that Audi basically invented with the 2.0 TFSI. That is using Direct Injection (FSI) and a turbocharger. This allows for higher compression ratio not seen on turbocharged engines previously. The 2.0 TFSI is also putting out a bit more power than 200 hp. You can also tune the 2.0 TFSI. Basically the BMW engine just has 50% more cylinders, displacement, and power in the end result.

Leadfoot
February 21st, 2007, 20:27
Chewym,

You left one important thing out of your assessment, it has two turbos.

chewym
February 21st, 2007, 21:14
Chewym,

You left one important thing out of your assessment, it has two turbos.

It does. But so did the 2.7 T V6 from Audi a while back. I am sure that having an extra turbocharger is not a technical marvel. Especially for a two bank engine like a V6, which is what Audi would do if they wanted a 3 liter turbocharged engine.

Klint
February 21st, 2007, 22:46
Long lost siblings, you bet!

Leadfoot
February 21st, 2007, 23:40
It does. But so did the 2.7 T V6 from Audi a while back. I am sure that having an extra turbocharger is not a technical marvel. Especially for a two bank engine like a V6, which is what Audi would do if they wanted a 3 liter turbocharged engine.

The advantage of the two over one turbo is size. Two small ones will produce as much power as one larger one and with less lag, I was surprised BMW didn't go the small one and large one route of Bi-turboing, but possibly this uses a lot more fuel and higher CO2s.

Either way when you get it right with a turbo engine it does make a strong case for itself against a larger N/A engine.

But back to the looks of each design, I know their aren't at the same angle but the BMW looks to be taller and thinner than the Audi and though the rears are similar the A5 does look the more integrated of the two designs. I can't wait to see what the S-Line version will look like.