PDA

View Full Version : Giac Ecu/tcu (2007)

got boost
February 18th, 2007, 22:05
Hello All,

I finally had the ECU flashed and the TCU socketed last week. I'll start by saying WOW!!!!! Now I know what everyone is talking about.

I just took it on a 1000 mile roadtrip. First impressions: The shifting is awesome, much more refined. The shifting is much quicker and smooth in automatic mode (S or D), although in using the paddles/manual shift, the reaction time on upshifts/downshifts is not much different. The throttle is much, much, much more sensitive. You barely touch and the car jumps to authority (some may not like that in traffic) So, I am learning to modulate the go pedal. The power increase significant. It seems as if it has "endless torque."The fourth gear is SICK! Rollin at about 85 MPH in 4th and just roll your foot into the pedal and "all is right in the world" :rs6kiss: . 120 comes up a lot quicker! I havent taken it over 140 yet, as I mostly enjoy 80-120 sprints and highway overtaking. Although I bought the car for highway cruising not 1/4 mile drag strip, I tried a few launches. Each launch was different (due to my own inconsistencies). Some I experienced a half second of lag, and some straight scared the shit out of me:lovl: . Bottom line, a worthy upgrade to an already amazing car. I switched back to "stock mode" a few times with the flashloader, just to compare the difference and WOW! Definitely worth it and so far the transmission remains intact (knocking on wood).

I'll post dyno results when I get them.

ruxprncd
February 19th, 2007, 02:08
Very nice! I just went with O.CT. First time I've owned a car whose acceleration actually picks up at around 115 :). Haven't gone much beyond that yet.

ruxprncd
February 19th, 2007, 02:10
Oh - how does it compare to your Stage 3 S4? I briefly drove a well-tuned Stage 3 a couple of years ago, and from what I recall acceleration felt similar to the RS6.

got boost
February 19th, 2007, 03:55
Oh - how does it compare to your Stage 3 S4? I briefly drove a well-tuned Stage 3 a couple of years ago, and from what I recall acceleration felt similar to the RS6.

I havent run the two side by side. But getting out of one and into the other, the S4 felt the same as the RS6 stock. So I'll have to see how they do now. Currently I'm having some "running too lean", and "misfire" codes on the S4 that need to be addressed first, then a little "highway investigation" will be in order :D

And congrats on the O.ct! After researching all the software options, they all seem to make about the same power. I ended up going with the GIAC since I have had good luck with them in the past and I already have the flashloader. I also got a discount since the GIAC shop I use had not done an RS6 yet.

Avus-RS6
February 19th, 2007, 05:32
I havent run the two side by side. But getting out of one and into the other, the S4 felt the same as the RS6 stock.

I felt that my ASP stage 3 S4 was more violent than the stock RS6. Basically similar HP/TQ but 400-500lbs less and an extra gear(6mt). That being said, I prefer the pull of the RS6 given the engine isn't close to being stressed. :rs6kiss: I was always having misfire issues, O2 codes, and various other issues with the S4. That tends to happen when you double the factory output. ;-)

Jason

got boost
February 19th, 2007, 15:25
I felt that my ASP stage 3 S4 was more violent than the stock RS6. Basically similar HP/TQ but 400-500lbs less and an extra gear(6mt). That being said, I prefer the pull of the RS6 given the engine isn't close to being stressed. :rs6kiss: I was always having misfire issues, O2 codes, and various other issues with the S4. That tends to happen when you double the factory output. ;-)

Jason

Well said!

I was running an old version of the GIAC software (2004) in the S4 and it was runnin like Jekyll and Hyde, really poured all the power on at once (which would suck in "mid-corner") Since I've had the more recent version installed, the power delivery is much more linear, less flat spots. Ive recently increased fuel delivery at 1/4 throttle, which feels better but is most likely the cause of my multi-page VAG-COM printout (LOL!). Time for some peek and tweak.:mech:

got boost
October 17th, 2007, 23:55
So I finally got off my @$$ and dynoed yesterday. Its been awhile since the upgrade.

Stock it was 353hp/375tq, now with GIAC it is 365hp/428tq. I thought there would be more of numerical difference since it is such a noticeable difference on the road. Does this seem right? what does this calculate to the crank?

got boost
October 17th, 2007, 23:59
and BTW, I finally have the S4 runnin well. Did some side by side comparisons not too long ago. The S4 was very aggressive off the line and to 100, but the RS6 seems to reel it in above 100. Still need to continue testing:)

Spidercat
October 18th, 2007, 06:51
got boost,

AWE tuning (a Willow Grove, PA distributer for GIAC) quotes similar stock dyno numbers as you (350 HP @ the wheels, which is similar to yours @ 353 HP at the wheels). To estimate the HP at the crank, they multiple by 1.285, whereas with yours it would be 1.275, to give roughly 450 HP at the crank. Their chipped numbers are different than yours, however. They quote about 404 HP @ the wheels, or about 519 HP @ the crank, whereas yours would work out to about 465 HP @ the crank using the same 1.275 conversion factor.

Their stock torque figures are much different from yours, however. They quote 343 ft-lbs stock, and you've got 375 ft-lbs. Their chipped max torque is 414 ft-lbs, whereas you've got 428 ft-lbs. Their torque increased by 71 ft-lbs, while yours increased by about 53 ft-lbs (although you have higher numbers overall before and after. I don't know what to make of that. Their numbers were on 93 octane pump gas. They have another dyno run on 91 octane pump gas, which shows 336 hp @ the wheels stock (432 HP @ the crank) and 378 HP @ the wheels chipped (486 HP @ the crank). On 91 octane, their torque increased by 78 ft-lbs, from 310 to 387 ft-lbs.

(Here is AWE's website to check it out for yourself:

http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/gallery/rs6/index.cfm

The seat-of-the-pants difference you feel sounds like more than a 3% increase in HP shown on the dyno. Could the dyno have been miscalibrated for the "chipped" run? Your torque figures seem much better than the numbers AWE dyno'd, which agrees with the felt difference. I'm curious since I've been shopping around for an ECU/TCU chipset for a few months now but still haven't taken the plunge.
Otherwise, has the reliability for the GIAC be alright? I've combed the feedback on this sight, and they all (GIAC, APR, O.CT, etc.) seem to get hit-or-miss reviews except MTM, which everyone appears to be satisfied with (if anyone has the MTM chip and hates it, please correct me). Anyway, hope the above link helps. Maybe you could contact your GIAC dealer and fax them your dyno printout and see what they come up with?

Cordially,
Mark

got boost
October 18th, 2007, 13:53
Mark, thanks for the response. The run was done on a "dyno dynamics" dyno both times, I'm not sure how different that is to the mustang dyno. I'm not too worried about it because it feels great. I actually had the opportunity to drive another GIAC tuned RS6 (along with many other mods) and the acceleration felt the same, but the Milltek exhaust in the other RS6 sounds better, the stasis suspension felt better, and the alcon/stasis brakes felt better IMO, but thats info for another thread. Back to the GIAC, as for reliability, 8 months and just under 20,000 miles on the software, so far so good knockin on wood. Ive had the car for about a year now and I would definitely do it all over again.

Good luck with your decision. If you are searching and finding hit or miss issues with all the vendors, check to see if the TCU was done on the cars with the issues. I'm not sure if early on (2003) people were addressing the tcu upgrade and that may have precipitated the issues.

DuckWingDuck
October 18th, 2007, 16:05
Got_boost, when it's all said and done, what was your out of pocket hit getting the GIAC ECU?

got boost
October 18th, 2007, 23:15
Got_boost, when it's all said and done, what was your out of pocket hit getting the GIAC ECU?

It was about 2500 installed with all programs.

(edit: that was for both ecu and tcu, I dont know what it would have been with only ecu)

DuckWingDuck
October 20th, 2007, 02:00
Damn, that's not bad at all!

Aronis
October 20th, 2007, 02:10
Where did you get it done???

Mike

got boost
October 20th, 2007, 11:41
Where did you get it done???

Mike

Shine Racing Service in Mass. Unfortunately they are no longer a GIAC dealer anymore. I'm not sure where you are located but KTR Motorsports in Ayer Mass. is a GIAC dealer.

Ultslpr
October 20th, 2007, 13:51
Is KTR where you had you RS6 dynoed; if so Ive heard that's a harsh dyno.
( " Heartbreaker " I believe it's nickname is..)

Aronis
October 20th, 2007, 20:06
I know where KTR is ......but everytime I am in town visiting we are in my wifes SUV...LOL

Mike

got boost
October 21st, 2007, 00:05
Is KTR where you had you RS6 dynoed; if so Ive heard that's a harsh dyno.
( " Heartbreaker " I believe it's nickname is..)

LOL! yeah thats the heartbreaker.

peiserg
October 24th, 2007, 03:21
can you post your dyno plot for the masses? the stock and modified?

got boost
October 24th, 2007, 20:12
can you post your dyno plot for the masses? the stock and modified?

Here is a picture of a plot with both, two runs with the GIAC compared with one stock run.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/ri55/giacrs6.jpg

peiserg
October 25th, 2007, 04:11
ok thanks. Looking at yours, I wouldn't worry too m uch that the overall peak # isn't as high as hoped. You've picked up a ton of mid and high range HP/tq .

gerry

peiserg
October 27th, 2007, 01:45
hope this works.
my 10/07 dyno pull with forge DV's, and milltek exhaust. ambient temp about 80F. 91 octane in car.

"new" pull in blue. "stock" in red. Stock means 100 octane with APR ECU set for "stock" setting. So not quite apples and apples. Now the APR chip is gone, my ecu is completely stock again, and the octane is 91 vs. 100.

the other pics are of the RS6 at 10,000 ft. elevation. woot!

hmm.

can't get the photos to upload. will someone please go to www.flipdrive.com/maskedmilkman and pull my dyno pic and post it here? thanks.

RS6 POWER
November 8th, 2007, 12:24
Heres mine!!!http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a368/manuelpur/RS6dyno2.jpg

rs-mad
November 8th, 2007, 12:34
Got Boost - Did the dyno operator back off towards the top of the rpm range? You made similar peak HP and lower Rpm's with the GIAC program so the peak HP of the standard map you should have made more again

RS6 POWER - What gear was used for the dyno run? The power curve seems very erratic

got boost
November 8th, 2007, 13:45
Got Boost - Did the dyno operator back off towards the top of the rpm range? You made similar peak HP and lower Rpm's with the GIAC program so the peak HP of the standard map you should have made more again

RS6 POWER - What gear was used for the dyno run? The power curve seems very erratic

rs-mad

I'm not sure. I should have gone back to stock mode to compare at the same visit.

got boost
November 8th, 2007, 13:48
hope this works.
my 10/07 dyno pull with forge DV's, and milltek exhaust. ambient temp about 80F. 91 octane in car.

"new" pull in blue. "stock" in red. Stock means 100 octane with APR ECU set for "stock" setting. So not quite apples and apples. Now the APR chip is gone, my ecu is completely stock again, and the octane is 91 vs. 100.

the other pics are of the RS6 at 10,000 ft. elevation. woot!

hmm.

can't get the photos to upload. will someone please go to www.flipdrive.com/maskedmilkman (http://www.flipdrive.com/maskedmilkman) and pull my dyno pic and post it here? thanks.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/ri55/milltekdynors620001.jpg

rs-mad
November 8th, 2007, 13:52
got boost - It may pay to have it re-run. Have you checked it isnt throwing any codes? I have seen another RS6 do something similar and it was caused by the EGT sensors playing up and sending the ecu wrong info which was pulling timing out.

Also there is a transmission recode that helps for dyno runs it wont shift down even if you hit kick down switch and wont shift when it hits limiter

RS-MAD

got boost
November 8th, 2007, 13:55
got boost - It may pay to have it re-run. Have you checked it isnt throwing any codes? I have seen another RS6 do something similar and it was caused by the EGT sensors playing up and sending the ecu wrong info which was pulling timing out.

Also there is a transmission recode that helps for dyno runs it wont shift down even if you hit kick down switch and wont shift when it hits limiter

RS-MAD

No codes right now.

How do you recode the tranny for the dyno run?

rs-mad
November 8th, 2007, 14:13
vag-com the code is 22 in stead of 05 at the end. Be careful if you drive with this coding as the transmission will not upshift in tiptronic mode at all

10SecS4
December 28th, 2007, 20:47
vag-com the code is 22 in stead of 05 at the end. Be careful if you drive with this coding as the transmission will not upshift in tiptronic mode at allThis does not work. My TCM coding does not even end in 05...

rs-mad
December 29th, 2007, 04:04
Well my stock coding is 05 at the end, to get it to take i had to retype the entire code. What is your complete coding?

10SecS4
December 29th, 2007, 05:24

What country do you live in?

rs-mad
December 29th, 2007, 05:35
retype the entire coding 0000022

10SecS4
December 29th, 2007, 06:41
Already tried that and it would not accept the change. What's your TCM part #? Mine's 4B0 927 156 FL

10SecS4
December 30th, 2007, 21:12
Here is a picture of a plot with both, two runs with the GIAC compared with one stock run.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/ri55/giacrs6.jpgDoes anybody have any ideas why he has such huge gains down low and in the mid range, but past 5800 RPMs he's actually losing power with the GIAC software? This is really, really strange. Could it be his diverter valves leaking? Or the car isn't making good boost in the high RPMs for another reason, such as a flaky N75 valve? Or maybe it's caused by heat soak?