PDA

View Full Version : Will the DSG transmission be ready for the V10 introduction

jmk
February 15th, 2007, 17:55
so? Waddaya think..? Another choice between R-tronic and manual, or the introduction of the DSG transmission........

Leadfoot
February 15th, 2007, 20:25
Because of the limited numbers with the R8 and Lambos I doubt we will see a S-Tronic in one any time soon.

February 16th, 2007, 03:00
We can wish...

JavierNuvolari
February 16th, 2007, 03:44
Because of the limited numbers with the R8 and Lambos I doubt we will see a S-Tronic in one any time soon.

It's true

+1

RXBG
February 19th, 2007, 15:52
DSG should be an option by the time the V10 comes out, i think. by then the DSG will be offered on the V8 too. i suspect that starting with the A5 DSG will blanket the entire model line.....

Leadfoot
February 19th, 2007, 16:15
Much as I would like to hold your enthusiasm, I don't see the financial logic for developing a gearbox that at most will only demand 8000 units a year. Unless the Veyron unit is being used but tooled down for the less power going through it then I don't think it will happen.

RXBG
February 19th, 2007, 16:46
think of the appplicability of the new transmission in terms of how much power it can handle. once it has that spec rating it is just a matter of dropping it into whatever model you want.

the new DSG should be capable of handling quite a bit more than the TT's. for sure 300 hp and 300lb ft or so (we'll know with the A5/S5).

i think it'll be darned easy to put it into the R8 if it can handle the power. most sports car manufacturers are going that route (i.e bmw, porsche, ferrari) so it would be in audi's best interest to not be left behind.

the veyron's DSG was singularly made. cost no object. read: very expensively and inefficiently. the way the audi DSG is made is more cost-effective. in the end they both do the same thing but i do no think that audi's new DSG will have a lot in common with the veyron's per se.

BSR
February 19th, 2007, 18:16
Would a dsg unit be somewhat similar for a 911 and an R8?

RB

Leadfoot
February 19th, 2007, 19:34
RXBG,

I understand where you are coming from, Audi wouldn't want to be left behind. Unless the gearbox is being developed with the 911 which in principle is very similar only in reverse, this would help keep the costs down and make it viable for both companies.

This would also improve the acceleration of the car as anyone who has seen Best Motoring's piece with two GTI Golf 6sp vs DSG, the DSG walked it and the same should happen with the R8.

Mr Balsen
February 19th, 2007, 21:40
A Veyron Gearbox cost around 60 000 euros (from my little finger....)

Yes it is expensive but at the same time, the power and torque it has to handle is at the highest possible level for a street car. But it shows that DSG can handle that much power.

Cheers,
Frederic