PDA

View Full Version : opinions on awaiting the V10 over the V8

RXBG
February 13th, 2007, 20:06
if one had to wait until 3 months before the V10 comes out to get one's V8 would it be worth spending an extra 15K (if one had it) to get the V10?

sounds like an easy answer. but i hope some of you may not make it so easy.

jmk
February 14th, 2007, 05:46
You are so right.... it is an easy question. If you can afford it (and it will be more than 15k btw), it is most definitely worth it in my opinion. It will be much more exotic and the performance should be very special. If the engine sound is even close to that of the Carerra GT, it will give you goosebumps at WOT.
Just my two cents worth.... I am waiting for sure..

Dommage qu'il faut toujours attendre...
zut!

SoCal
February 14th, 2007, 08:55
You are so right.... it is an easy question. If you can afford it (and it will be more than 15k btw), it is most definitely worth it in my opinion.

I agree. Worth the wait if you have the budget for the more expensive ($25k perhaps) V10. The production numbers on the first V8 cars will be low enough that the R8 exclusivity will still be there, and even more so in the V10. All assuming you have a road or track on which to enjoy the added power.

February 14th, 2007, 12:28
Three months is a short time if the price difference does not bother you.

Will the V10 have any differentiating body work to set it apart from the v8?

Leadfoot
February 14th, 2007, 16:12
Remember the resale won't be as good with the V10 as anyone with a Ferrari more than 8 cylinders will tell you.

The V8 is plenty quick enough for anyone on public roads or track and it's a proven product for reliability, the V10 will be quicker but is it worth the difference.....?

RXBG
February 14th, 2007, 16:19
Remember the resale won't be as good with the V10 as anyone with a Ferrari more than 8 cylinders will tell you.

The V8 is plenty quick enough for anyone on public roads or track and it's a proven product for reliability, the V10 will be quicker but is it worth the difference.....?

exactly my sentiments. beyond ego and gragging rights i see little justification for the V10.

i will stick with the V8.

February 14th, 2007, 23:34

Those ferraris without the v8 have the engine in the front and higher production.

Now ask about the resale on an Enzo or F50...

Benman
February 15th, 2007, 01:11
This is a tuff call. Cars like Enzos, F40s,F50s, etc. are bespoke engine cars. It's not like the F40 was offered with a TTV6, but the big boys stepped up to the TTV8. Likewise, Enzo, no V8/V10 was offered with the "money" engine being the V12...

I wouldn't even be so bold as to guess how the market will view the V10 R8. Will it be a "S" model in the publics view, or just a hopped up standard? Don't know... one thing is for sure, they'll have to call it something different, like R8R or something. To call it the "R8" with the V10 won't cut it.

Ben:addict:

Leadfoot
February 15th, 2007, 08:40
Those ferraris without the v8 have the engine in the front and higher production.

Now ask about the resale on an Enzo or F50...

Sticky,

Both models you refer to are limited editions and are the pinnacle of what Ferrari could achieve at the time. Hell they even vetted who were buying the bloody things.

I was referring to the 550, 575, 612 etc. All these models lose a bucket of money. Only the 360 and now F430 hold money so why will the Audi R8 be any different.

tailpipe
February 15th, 2007, 12:48
I keep hearing that R8 will also be offered with V-12 diesel. If true, then this would definitely be the R8 version I would go for. I think the only thing likely to prevent Audi offering this engine is engineering/ packaging constraints. This engine is obviously behind the V-10 in the development pipeline, but since it will shortly debut in the Q7, it shouldn't be too long before it is seen elsewhere. (I imagine it will also be seen in Bentleys, but that's going off-topic.)

jmk
February 15th, 2007, 17:51
I think the V10 R8 will be more exclusive and hold it's value even better than the V8 version. Also, if rumour of "only 480 hp" are true- at less than 100 bhp/liter it should have alot of torque and be a very reliable engine. It will be the pinnacle of Audi's flagship car. Just an opinion- nobody has the crystal ball......

AuditudeA642
February 16th, 2007, 02:08
I would stay with the V8 because the v10 will probably have around 480 hp. The V8 with engine chip, full exhaust, port and polish, intake short shift kit will have nearly 500 hp and weigh less. Those mods should not cost more than 5500 USD.

February 16th, 2007, 02:49
Sticky,

Both models you refer to are limited editions and are the pinnacle of what Ferrari could achieve at the time. Hell they even vetted who were buying the bloody things.

I was referring to the 550, 575, 612 etc. All these models lose a bucket of money. Only the 360 and now F430 hold money so why will the Audi R8 be any different.
You are correct that those are extremely rare extremely low production supercars but I was pointing out that stating every ferrari without a v8 not holding its resale is incorrect.

The F430 holds its value because of the prancing horse on the front and extremely low supply that ferrari dealers control. They have a little fraternity going basically choosing who gets on and who doesn't. The R8 won't hold its value on par with a 430 but I am sure if supply is low enough we can expect the R8 to retain a good portion of its value.

February 16th, 2007, 02:53
I would stay with the V8 because the v10 will probably have around 480 hp. The V8 with engine chip, full exhaust, port and polish, intake short shift kit will have nearly 500 hp and weigh less. Those mods should not cost more than 5500 USD.
Huh? Do you see any naturally aspirated RS4's running around with 500 hp? 500 hp would be 120 hp per liter, it isn't happening NA without BIG BUCKS, this isn't gran turismo.

Short shift kit has nothing to do with horsepower and a port and polish isn't going to give anyting on a 100 hp per liter NA car. The audi engineers already did that.

February 16th, 2007, 02:56
I think the V10 R8 will be more exclusive and hold it's value even better than the V8 version. Also, if rumour of "only 480 hp" are true- at less than 100 bhp/liter it should have alot of torque and be a very reliable engine. It will be the pinnacle of Audi's flagship car. Just an opinion- nobody has the crystal ball......
With 480 hp it would most likely have a lower redline and perhaps not have as sporty of a character as the V8. We will have to wait and see, I doubt audi would give it less than 500 hp.

Leadfoot
February 16th, 2007, 09:01
You are correct that those are extremely rare extremely low production supercars but I was pointing out that stating every Ferrari without a v8 not holding its resale is incorrect.

The F430 holds its value because of the prancing horse on the front and extremely low supply that Ferrari dealers control. They have a little fraternity going basically choosing who gets on and who doesn't. The R8 won't hold its value on par with a 430 but I am sure if supply is low enough we can expect the R8 to retain a good portion of its value.

Sticky,

I will explain the understanding of retail, something I have years of experience. The reason the F430 holds it money where as the 550, 575 and 612 etc don't is simply down to the value of the product, the F430 all but matches the above in terms of performance and exclusivity but at two thirds of the cost, that means there is more people willing to pay the money of the F430 than the others. Now that explains the why the 12cylinder model lose their money down to the F430 price but why do they keep losing more than the F430 when down to this price, answer being why pay F430 money for a 2 year old Ferrari when you could have a new one.

People rate the F430 value for money and the others aren't. The only reason the Enzo and the likes hold their money as down to their customer base, these people are very rich and don't usually sale any of their hype cars and in doing so keeping the price very high when the rare occasion one does come on to the market place.

The R8 is moving in to a new market for Audi above anything that has come before, can the brand keep it's value at this price is at best unsure but the best bet is the cheaper R8 will stand the best chance.:thumb:

February 16th, 2007, 09:41
Sticky,

I will explain the understanding of retail, something I have years of experience. The reason the F430 holds it money where as the 550, 575 and 612 etc don't is simply down to the value of the product, the F430 all but matches the above in terms of performance and exclusivity but at two thirds of the cost, that means there is more people willing to pay the money of the F430 than the others. Now that explains the why the 12cylinder model lose their money down to the F430 price but why do they keep losing more than the F430 when down to this price, answer being why pay F430 money for a 2 year old Ferrari when you could have a new one.

People rate the F430 value for money and the others aren't. The only reason the Enzo and the likes hold their money as down to their customer base, these people are very rich and don't usually sale any of their hype cars and in doing so keeping the price very high when the rare occasion one does come on to the market place.

The R8 is moving in to a new market for Audi above anything that has come before, can the brand keep it's value at this price is at best unsure but the best bet is the cheaper R8 will stand the best chance.:thumb:
I have trouble following what point you are trying to make. I understand you have experience in retail but I don't see what that has to do with F430 production. There are few cars to go around and the car is in high demand so it commands a premium. Supply and demand, 360 prices fell sharply after the 430 hit. F430 is a car you can't order, the production run is sold out. The 360 and 430 are flashy and purchased more as a status symbol than on performance credentials and being the flashiest model with low production increases the desire because people want something others can't have.

Also, the 599 just came out, front engine v12, check out the value on that car compared to the 430. The V8 idea is flawed, if the 430 had a 6 cylinder people would still buy it because it is a flashy looking ferrari that others can't have.

Leadfoot
February 16th, 2007, 15:52
Point being, less cost, more demand, better residuals against more cost, less demand and worse residuales, F430 vs the others.

Of coarse the 360 will drop like a stone when the new model is released, this is the same with very brand. Look at any brand and the cheapest version of a model will hold the best value. This will be the same with the R8v8 regardless of how much better the R8v10 will be.

For a perfect example of this look no further than the M3 and the CSL or the M5 and the M6. Every brand has their examples.

AuditudeA642
February 17th, 2007, 02:56
by short shift kit i meant that 0-60 could increase to make it faster than the v10

Exhaust and Intake: 20HP
Engine Chip: 22HP
Port and Polish: 8HP

50HP

470HP V8 Just my opinion doesn't mean im 100% Accurate just giving my opinion.