PDA

View Full Version : RS6 Manual Conversion?

quick500
February 11th, 2007, 14:28
Does anyone have any info as to what gearbox could be used to convert the RS6 to Manual and be able to hold 600 Flywheel horsepower?

Mr Balsen
February 11th, 2007, 15:17
MTM does. They have done it for the RS6 Clubsport. But it is not cheap.

Champion Racing Team had also done it.

Frederic

quick500
February 11th, 2007, 16:51
Anyone know which gearbox they use? As me and my mechanic plan on doing the conversion ourselves

skiwi
February 11th, 2007, 17:08
it's a big job. make sure you have someone who knows the canbus protocol really well....

nene
February 11th, 2007, 18:19
I assume they might have used the B5 RS4 gear box, given that some of the B5 S4 folks have tuned it up close to that level. That would be my guess.

GeCcO
February 11th, 2007, 18:31
They are using the B5 RS4 gearbox for this conversion.

skiwi
February 11th, 2007, 18:48
the gearbox won't really be the major issue, it will be in integrating the motronic to the fact that it can't signal the tiptronic on torque levels and throttle position, or get feedback from the unit...

for an example, witness the difficulty bmw have had with the manual m5 made specifically for the usa market...

on of the guys on the a8 (d2) list did this successfully, but the motronic on the d2 doesn't handle boost...

Marcus Frost
February 12th, 2007, 16:04
quick500,

I did a lot of research on this issue and it can be done. The major issues arise with, as skiwi said, the electronics. There will be some trial & error involved. Either reprogramming will have to be done, or possibly using some of the control units out of an A6 2.7T manual car (MY2004, when the cars were full CANBUS). I am in the process of selling my B5 S4 so having the RS6 as my "only" primary transportation (the woman uses the B7) has delayed embarking on the journey for the swap.

The hard parts/etc are all pretty much off the shelf. You can use a B5 S4 or RS4 transmission, depending on what gearing you like. The transmission bolts up without issue - the flywheel is a little different, so you will need to have a 10-bolt made instead of the 8-bolt that comes standard with the B5 transmission. Most of the other parts are all straight A6 2.7T. The driveshaft may need to be custom made as well. There may be some other little quirks once you really dive in but if you are working with a proper shop they shouldn't present much of an issue.

I was working with http://www.gocpt.com on it, they have a lot of knowledge but will be the first to tell you that it will require trial & error, and it won't be super cheap (mostly because of the cost of new OEM parts).

Best of luck and let us know what you find out.

Regards,

Marcus

parkertseng
February 24th, 2007, 15:53
how about the 6 speed from 4.2 8e s4?
they were made close to the production date!
will it be possible that they are sharing the same engine?
i am also thinking about the manul tranny!

grizz
February 24th, 2007, 17:00
so am i , i've got a B7 rs4 g /box , clutch & fly wheel arriving next week .

Avus-RS6
February 24th, 2007, 17:34
I would love to see a reputable shop/tuner develop a kit for a manual tranny conversion, including flywheel, clutch, bolts, trim items, reflash, wiring, and whatever else is necessary for the full conversion. I would imagine they would be able sell a good number of these kits to make it worth while.

If anyone is actually doing this conversion, I would ask you to keep very good track of the process, and at the very least you could sell or make available for the greater good, a manual on how to do the conversion, including all parts necessary. Or you could be the one to develop the kik. :thumb: Just a thought.

mi021le
February 26th, 2007, 01:17
They are using the B5 RS4 gearbox for this conversion.

b5 s4 trans but a specific one. and if u do u can get around the comp isuses by going stand alone.

Marcus Frost
February 26th, 2007, 15:13
b5 s4 trans but a specific one. and if u do u can get around the comp isuses by going stand alone.

There are no major differences amongst B5 S4 trannies, only gearing between Eurospec and US-spec.

-m

grizz
February 26th, 2007, 20:45
DUH , i've just sold 2 b5 rs4 gear boxes , mind you a tdi has a longer 6th gear, so i know of several b5 rs4 with this 6 ratio that will do over 200mph..
How nice would this be in a rs6.......

Marcus Frost
February 27th, 2007, 03:24
Grizz where are you located?

You obviously have access to parts, but like I mentioned before the real trick would be with coding. You need a tuner with reprogramming capabilities to recode your ECU, TCU, and instrument cluster.

-m

grizz
February 27th, 2007, 17:05
I'am in the uk ,