PDA

View Full Version : Sound Enhancing Exhaust RS6

Barry
February 10th, 2007, 00:16
Hi there Guys, I am new to the scene, just bought my Nov 2004 Daytona Avant in December 06.
Sound Enhancing Exhaust / Sports Exhaust, are they one in the same, was this just a USA option, I am in the UK and the Audi Dealers I have contacted are unable to help, is the sound difference mild or wild, is it a simple swop, or is it a system that you can control via a switch, any ideas on cost.

gjg
February 10th, 2007, 00:28
also optional in Europe - UK may be "special" ....

mmaturo
February 11th, 2007, 07:27
'sound enhanced' and 'sport' are the same, it is called both...no switch, just simply a different muffler design over standard exhaust. Personally not a great difference to me. I have the standard and it is awesome sounding as is (to those outside the car). I have been in and around enhanced exhaust cars and certainly little difference to make it worth switching out...better to go to an aftermarket if you want more sound.

If your car is an 04 is it an RS6+ (in which case you already have it)? Are your exhaust tips black..if they are you have it...if chrome you have standard exhaust...that is the way to tell.

Barry
February 11th, 2007, 20:46
Thanks gig for coming back.

Thanks Mmaturo, that is what I wanted to know, no mine is not the RS6+, but I have driven one and the sound difference to me was not noticable from inside the car, you are correct, obviously not worth the change and I want to keep it all Audi so I will have to find some tunnels to drive through - If you see a Daytona Avant coming towards you at speed with the driver half out of the driver's door window - it will be me trying to get some of that sound to my ears. Thanks once again.

mmaturo
February 11th, 2007, 22:43
Now that made me laugh...thats the only problem is everyone else really hears it not us...I no longer have to drive in front of a friend's house and call them that I have arrived, they hear me coming. standard is just fine it seems.

LU-RS6
February 11th, 2007, 23:11
Are your exhaust tips black..if they are you have it...if chrome you have standard exhaust...that is the way to tell.

Are you sure this is always the case? I have the black exhaust tips but I checked all the codes in my service booklet and couldn't discover an option code for this..

mmaturo
February 12th, 2007, 01:53
I am 100% sure for the US market. Is all your trim blacked out, or just the exhaust tips? That could be a reason if it is (no idea what Audi did for trim options on Eurpean RS6s for 04 if any) but for us in the states all trim was the same for the exterior except the tips on the exhaust for the enhanced vs standard.

mmaturo
February 12th, 2007, 05:17
Well my answer to my own comment above is about 10 posts down where someone in the states asks about the 'black optics' trim option on the RS6 which was an Europe only option to black out all exterior trim and therefore the exhaust tips I would assume so that may explain a standard exhaust with black tips...so if you have no silver trim (around front grills, under headlights, trunk edge, etc) you may just have the black optic package w standard exhaust.

gjg
February 12th, 2007, 07:26
LU, black exhaust = sound enhancing, silver = standard. In EU. I have some spec sheets in pdf (if I can find them) with ordering codes. :idea:

gjg
February 12th, 2007, 08:12
I mean CHROME, not silver ....

LU-RS6
February 12th, 2007, 08:44
.so if you have no silver trim (around front grills, under headlights, trunk edge, etc) you may just have the black optic package w standard exhaust.

Here some pictures, looks like it is indeed the standard exhaust but black optics package.

http://users.telenet.be/c_noordzij/AUDI%20RS6/4.jpg

http://users.telenet.be/c_noordzij/AUDI%20RS6/3.jpg

LU-RS6
February 12th, 2007, 08:47
LU, black exhaust = sound enhancing, silver = standard. In EU. I have some spec sheets in pdf (if I can find them) with ordering codes. :idea:

If any of you wishes to look up some codes here are pretty much all of them. I couldn't find any code relating to sound enhancing exhaust in my service sheet.

http://volkswagen.msk.ru/index.php?p=complect

Best regards
LU-RS6

mmaturo
February 12th, 2007, 14:47
Nice looking car by the way LU. Think that answers it, the car looks great in black with the blacked out trim.

gjg
February 13th, 2007, 00:47
Gents, the black optical package is ONLY the window trim, front mask trim and roof racks - not exhaust. Ordering code PQE/FC1. Cost approx. 400 Euro at that time (excl. VAT).

This package was standard on RS6+.

Sport exhaust system (BLACK only) - ordering code YTY/S3G. Cost approx. 1100 Euro at that time (excl. VAT).

Standard on RS6+ in continental EU.

:idea:

Barry
February 13th, 2007, 07:32
My UK Spec RS6 has the Black Optics Package and the Exhaust Tips are not Black, they are not Silver - they are not Chrome - they are polished Stainless Steel - sorry to introduce another colourway to the debate - oh what the heck, after a long run and no cleaning they would be Black!

Tune in to your very own RS6 channel:
Any one toyed with the idea of a microphone in the spare wheel well connected to the stereo to get that sound that we can't here inside the car.

No stereo controlls on the steering wheel - How many of you find it a bind to have to reach over to turn the stereo down before you put your foot down or send the window down to try and get that exhaust note - maybe I am going Deaf.

My wife knows when I am about to squeeze the go pedal, by my movements with the stereo or window - Sad isn't it?

SAF
February 17th, 2007, 00:37
Now that's funny! My kids are "tuned" into that move as well.

audirs6sport
February 18th, 2007, 06:15
actually, I am not 100% positive about the non-sound enhanced exhaust option, but as far as the black tipped sound enhanced exhaust system, it is actually hollow inside :hahahehe: