PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Abt!!

Dave
April 29th, 2003, 19:12
Well, a few days have now passed since I took delivery of my new & improved RS6. My local dealer had had the car over the easter period in which time they sent the ECU back to Abt in Germany for the ECU to be reprogrammed to give my car 505bhp and 630Nm torque.

I was a little apprehensive on picking up the car.. how much difference will 60bhp be? and what will all the torque do to the gearbox?

On starting up the car the first thing I noticed was a smoother idle. Still had the georgeous note that you get accustomed too . Time to set off... let the oil warm up a bit, but the difference between standard and chipped is amazing.. the throttle responce is immediate and the power amazing...

I'm not very good at explaining these things.. it's always easier just to drive [and laugh ], but the power delivery is much more linear and the car pulls really hard from 1500 revs right round to the 7000rpm red line. The gear changes are now very quick (and I would even say to you manual lovers that you would be hard pushed to dip the clutch, select a new ratio and lift the clutch as quick as this can, esp between first and second). The accleration is superb.. really head back against the head rest type of stuff... and the mid-range stuff is just awesome.. I really cannot think of anything (except maybe a bike) that will out gun this. [ok, on a track it might be different, but on the highway it's amazing].

I find myself driving along saying 505bhp to myself.. flex the right calf muscle and it's 120mph in the blink of an eye . I'll tell you what.. the old brakes are going to get a lot more use

Overall, I am very very pleased. I would like to thank James at Abt for all his help and and advice and also to the team at Abt for a superb job.

Well done guys
Dave
:D

Benman
April 29th, 2003, 19:35
man, we really have to get this chip over here stateside:D

glad your having MAD fun Dave:cheers:

ben:addict:

iconcls
April 29th, 2003, 20:00
A stateside chipped RS 6 is more tempting now since ZF is constructing a transmission rebuilding facility not more than a 3/4 hour from my residence.

Hmmmm.

<<...must resist...>> ;-)

Finnus
April 29th, 2003, 20:49
iconcls,

Resistance is futile.

:addict:

Erik
April 30th, 2003, 11:09
I had a long talk with a friend who owns the misano red RS6 Avant you've seen on a few picturese around here.

He's got the Hohenester chip which is said to give 500 hp / 680 Nm. However Hohenester is a company who rather understate things.

He tried it against a stock E55 AMG. Both cars rolling on 19".
Before the chip the E55 was quicker, after the chip they are similar UNTIL the RS6 has to change gear. The E55 seems to have a smoother gearbox. So the RS6 will lose a little bit against the E55 when changing gears.

Dave
May 1st, 2003, 12:31
Abt chip the gearbox at the same time.

Erik
May 1st, 2003, 15:32
There it is. The ECU containing the chip for the tiptronic, on the passanger side.

Dave, one thing I can't understand is why Abt quotes an all time high 505 hp and 'only' 630 Nm when everybody else is quoting less hp and a lot more torque (680 - 700 Nm).

I understand the gearbox can only handle max ~700 Nm.

Dave
May 1st, 2003, 15:51
Hmm.. good point eric...

I'm no mastermind.. but torque and bhp are related as I'm sure you're aware.. maybe they were pleased with the results and because of the warranty in the Uk they didn't want to push the gearbox too hard...

All I can say is my car is absolutly amazing.. the way it pulls is incredable.. I had it at over 155 mph last night and it was still pulling hard...

The trouble is at that speed you are eating up ground at a stunning rate and smooth bends become 90 degree turns :D

I only wish you guys could drive my car now. it's fast and I mean fast.. it must be around 4.1 to 4.3 secs to 60. A 911 turbo wouldn't stand a chance.. and I mean that :0:

My mates dad has just bought an SL55 AMG and he couldn't belive how mine now pulls.. he wouldn't change his due to the styling but he went away impressed.

Dave

Erik
May 1st, 2003, 16:35
Dave, I've driven a Hohenester RS6 Avant. For a while I was in the passanger seat while a former rally car driver took command. Really amazing! The 700 Nm make the Recaros feel like a race seat - when the g-forces press you hard towards the leather.

The E55 AMG is confirmed to be faster than a Porsche Turbo.
A friend tested on the Autobahn from 2nd gear, 3rd gear etc. and it was embarrasing for the Porsche.

The RS6 (chipped) is as fast as the E55 until you change gear.
The E55 has a little advantage I'm afraid, they really know how to make the gear changes quick and smooth. Amazing, really since the RS6 gearbox is not bad at all.
Not sure what would happen with a standing start. I guess the RS6 would win at the red light and then the E55 would slowly catch it.

Regarding the 0 - 60 time I tried with a G-tech before and after chipping.

0 - 100 km/h was more or less the same. I got 4.5 secs a lot of times before it was chipped and thought how in the name of holy Father are they goping to improve that? :confused:
And I could not improve that time after chipping. I guess it has to do with the gearbox.
However the 402 m time was improve to low 12 from a high 12.

MichaelJP
May 1st, 2003, 21:16
One thing to remember of course with the RS6 vs. either E55 AMG or SL55 AMG...

...it may be close 0-60 in the dry but if it's raining I bet the RS6 will trounce both of them:race:

- MichaelJP

Dave
May 2nd, 2003, 12:57
Yea.. I agree mate... and I can't get over the fact that Merc's are for old men.. young men in merc's just look silly.

Oh, and by the way my average mpg since chipping : 14.8mpg :D (down 2mpg)

Finnus
May 2nd, 2003, 14:46
Here's the latest from GermanCarFans on the ABT Avant:

http://germancarfans.com/News.cfm?NewsID=2030501.002

They should have quoted Dave's post here which gets more to the heart of the matter!

:cheers:

Finnus

:addict: :addict: :addict:

Erik
May 2nd, 2003, 15:44
Ah, the Abt RS 6 article is old news around here ;)

http://www.rs6.com/articles/005.html

Abt quotes "This allows the Abt RS6 Avant to dash from 0-100 km/h in only 4.6 seconds."

Is there's a gearchange between 60 and 62?

Dave
May 2nd, 2003, 15:56
No.. 60 is in second I think.. I'll have to go and check mind.. no .. I can do 60 in second because I use the paddles to drop from 3rd!

I think that their figures are very conservative because the standard car is 4.7secs to 60. A lot of the added power is in the mid-range...

I must get read out of my car before it goes..
Cheers
Dave

Rs6s4
May 3rd, 2003, 09:29
Hello there,
after what I read about the ABT performance, damn I cant wait till i get ma car, damn to the ppl in here, they shud insist very much to have their delivery at the same time if not b4 other continent:addict: ,
well Dave thanx for stating those figures about from 0-60 and about how big is the chance to toast the 911 BiTurbo as well as the E55, coz man I know that here at where am at now, there will be many E55's as well as the BiTurbo 911 so I want to feel good during the 30 mints driving :incar: from home to where those cars gather, coz for sure as usual I will find one of those cars on my way, plus feeling better and go to sleep worry free that the money I paid for the ABT upgrade worth it.

krm
May 3rd, 2003, 18:19
Originally posted by Erik B

The RS6 (chipped) is as fast as the E55 until you change gear.
The E55 has a little advantage I'm afraid, they really know how to make the gear changes quick and smooth. Amazing, really since the RS6 gearbox is not bad at all.
Not sure what would happen with a standing start. I guess the RS6 would win at the red light and then the E55 would slowly catch it.

Reading about these tuned RS6's really got me salivating, so thanks Dave and Erik.

Erik, you mentioned the RS6 would lose to the E55 due to the slower gear change, forgive my ignorance, do you mean starting at the 1st to 2nd change?

The E55 is monster in straight line acceleration, it's good to see the tuned RS6 can closely match that acceleration. And as Dave mentioned, I can only imagine the RS6 to outaccelerate the AMG in wet conditions. Was that comparison done from a rolling acceleration or from a stop?

:cheers:

Rs6s4
May 4th, 2003, 07:56
hello there,
hey Dave, how about the maximum speed,
always wondering why they control it to 280/km why not 310/km, its really sad to not reach the maximum speed shows in ur screen :vsad2: , 30/km makes big difference.
I have frnds here who got S8, S6, and they reach 290/km easily,
well my S4 reach 270/km while the specs. say the max speed is 250/km, I hope the same thing apply to the RS6:addict:

Erik
May 4th, 2003, 12:30
Originally posted by krm
Erik, you mentioned the RS6 would lose to the E55 due to the slower gear change, forgive my ignorance, do you mean starting at the 1st to 2nd change?

I guess they tried from 2:nd to 3:rd. 3:rd to 4:th etc.

Not much will tear a car as much as doing repeated starts from zero.

We're still to try 100 - 200 km/h performance with the tuned RS6.
That would be a good indication to compare with the E55 and others. Last time it started to snow...

gnomik007
May 6th, 2003, 01:58
So is there already a chip for tiptronic guyes?

Erik
May 6th, 2003, 08:39
Originally posted by gnomik007
So is there already a chip for tiptronic guyes?

As far as I know the Hohenester and MTM chip includes the reprograming of the tiptronic. I am sure Abt does it as well.

Which chip / company did you use?

Dave
May 6th, 2003, 17:16
Originally posted by Rs6s4
hello there,
hey Dave, how about the maximum speed,
always wondering why they control it to 280/km why not 310/km,

I think all tuning companies remove the seed limiter (it's electronic and usually works on revs in top)..

It's normally taken as read that it's removed.. some companies will just remove it as stage one upgrade.

I expect I could see around 190mph from my car!

scoop
May 7th, 2003, 06:15
Originally posted by Dave
I think all tuning companies remove the seed limiter (it's electronic and usually works on revs in top)..

It's normally taken as read that it's removed.. some companies will just remove it as stage one upgrade.

I expect I could see around 190mph from my car!

Abt actually replaces the speed limiter at 280kph. I don't know if this is any different for the UK resellers of Abt chips.

Rs6s4
May 7th, 2003, 06:53
Hello there,
well I asked them here about the speed limit and that what they said up to 280/km only, and that what they say also in the ABT website :mad: and this due to the safety of the transmission system, although they did some upgrading to the transmission as well, but I think that's only officially , but when u drive the car u can find that it can reach more than that, many cars are like that, my S4 is like that, but I hope I can get the whole 310/km not a meter less:addict:

steve tree
September 21st, 2005, 01:37
made 185 mph with 1200 rpm to spare she was still pulling....:incar: ? what speed limiter.............over 3 miles a minuite too much fun...........:bye2:

BBGT2
September 21st, 2005, 03:46
Originally posted by Dave
Hmm.. good point eric...

I only wish you guys could drive my car now. it's fast and I mean fast.. it must be around 4.1 to 4.3 secs to 60. A 911 turbo wouldn't stand a chance.. and I mean that :0:

Dave

Dave,
I am glad that you are happy with the chip tuning.
Having my first RS6 chipped and then driving a 996 turbo (911TT) and buying a 911 GT2 I have to tell you that a RS6 is not really a competitor and has no chance against a 911 turbo even with a Tiptronic.
TOTALLY different cars and the speed the 911 TT provide are very very impressive. Needless to say a RS6 is a MONSTER but not against a 996 Porsche turbo.
Anyway glad you are enjoying your beast, I know I am mine!:0:

Bajo:addict:

keo
September 21st, 2005, 04:09
Well, just like to contribute my feeling comparing a tune rs6 with regular e55. The reason I chipped my rs6 is because i have a very close friend who own an e55. For sure the e55 is a stunner on a straight line, no question about that. (still remember the torque it is just amazing). On a stop light a regular rs6 and e55, the e55 has that advantage just like Erik mention. If I remember correctly the e55 will pull away to 1.5 car length. Honestly, i can felt the e55 is pulling away. Than with my mtm stage 1 (508bhp) it is matter of who accelerate first. That say we are in the same class now. My final tuning is on mtm stage 3 (535bhp). On this stage I am very happy. Now my friend's e55 has hard time to follow me especially when there involve not just straight line. By the way, to answer krm's question about the wet. We had a race once on a wet and what happen is the e55 lost control after hitting a pot of water(not to mention the result). So to answer your curiousity the rs6 is super on the wet.

steve tree
September 21st, 2005, 23:30
still think it's funny a guy sat in a porche turbo can look across at a good driver in an rs 6 ..... and his four mates with camping gear for the weekend, and wonder why I spent so much on a porche, and had to leave all his friends at home. only to tell his friends in the pub ....you would not beleive how fast these cars are.
Just had a wet weekend at a track day with 2 lambo's 4 355's 2 ipretza's 350 ps inports and a porche turbo no contest.....................................
ps.cooked the brakes all round cost best part of £1800.00 to correct...............enjoy the british backroads not a straight road in site.........

BBGT2
September 22nd, 2005, 00:08
No doubt an RS6 is a fast vehicle and its driveabililty year round is excellent, BUT having a GT2 and a RS6 and deciding whether to bring my GT2 and let my pals bring their own cars so that I will be driving a GT2 is a no brainer. After all a 911 GT2 on a wet day is a NO NO, but a 911 Turbo with all wheel drive is not suprising, I know of a guy that drives it year round, in the winter he puts on his snow tires and goes. My only gripe with the RS6 is that they could of gave us more power straight from the factory and beat the E55 and M5 right from the start, thei motto is "Never Follow" and in my honest opinion they keep doing just that.
Sell us a $85k car so we have to chip it tune it so we can stay with the pack.
Albeit if I want to track or race I will drive the Porsche that is what it was designed to do in the first place. I will drive the RS6 every other time and LOVE it, I dont like the Benz and for sure dont like anything the Bimmer's make.
Oh yeah they did give you Euro guys the RS6+, that was not fair they could of just made that for everyone as well as the Avant, look at Benz everything they make they bring over to the States. Oh well long live the Audi brand and to each its own.

Bajo:addict: