PDA

View Full Version : 4.2 litre V8 FSI Biturbo.

Iceman
February 7th, 2007, 21:44
It start to look like more and more that the new RS6 will have a Bi-turbo V8 FSI engine instead of a V10 atmo engine.
This is what i always have said in the first place.
Time will tell. ;)

Hans.

Snook
February 7th, 2007, 22:45
Perhaps the cooling problems with the V10 engine couldn't be solved? Can't wait 'til it's coming! :)

Iceman
February 7th, 2007, 23:14
Perhaps the cooling problems with the V10 engine couldn't be solved? Can't wait 'til it's coming! :)
No the problem is the V10's overhang over the front axle.
Audi want to give RS6 a razorsharp RS4 style steer and conering performance.
And with the V10 it's not possible to get that.

Hans.

skiwi
February 8th, 2007, 05:44
to address this issue, the new a5/s5 (announcement in March) will change the awd architecture from the current one (shared with subaru) with the engine ahead of the axle-line to one with a transfer case a la q7 (apparently).

chewym
February 8th, 2007, 06:27
Isn't it supposed to have a bi turbo V10?

580 hp and 550+ lb-ft of torque from the bi turbo V8 (4.2) will be hard to produce.

darkart
February 8th, 2007, 06:50
Isn't it supposed to have a bi turbo V10?

580 hp and 550+ lb-ft of torque from the bi turbo V8 (4.2) will be hard to produce.

but Sportec has a 600 hp RS6! so it is possible. but question is how tough is this engine!

Fab
February 8th, 2007, 07:23
of course time will tell but I really doubt Audi will put a V8 even biturbo in the RS6 (no matter how good it is). The S6 is now V10 and the RS4 is V8 so the upper scale should be preserved.

only my 2 cents :bye:

SoCal
February 8th, 2007, 07:41
of course time will tell but I really doubt Audi will put a V8 even biturbo in the RS6 (no matter how good it is). The S6 is now V10 and the RS4 is V8 so the upper scale should be preserved.

only my 2 cents :bye:

A high torque, high HP twin turbo V8 with better weight balance (shorter engine, so less front axle overhang) would smoke a high powered, even more front heavy V10. It would also differentiate the new RS6 further from the S6, which is already a fine car but pretty civilized despite all that power, and would be a logical extension to the Ur-RS6. And imagine the interesting body work/venting that might accomodate the heat shedding the turbos will require. Audi is more willing than before to drop the "stealth" factor.

I know that Audi is trending away from turbos toward higher HP N/A motors in their top cars (RS4, S6, S8, R8), but I wouldn't rule out the turbo V8 for the new RS6. That was my prediction ages ago, and absent inside information I'm sticking to it for now. It's a far easier way to get the performance Audi will want for its flagship sedan than is tweaking the 5.2 V10.

IMHO:rs6kiss:

Fab
February 8th, 2007, 10:25
Dynamic wise of course the V8 would allow better features but marketing wise the new RS6 with "same" engine than the previous version doesn't sounds very attractive.

Not all the buyers are so well informed than we are in terms of engine evolution from a V8 to the next generation V8 and might be seen as a disapointment from those potential old RS6 owne/potential buyers.

And also Audi must show that they can release a top performance car with 10-12 cylinders like Benz and BM.

jonas21
February 8th, 2007, 15:40
I bet a full fuel charge that the RS6 will come with a V10 (turbo or not).
I cant see Audi going backwards to use a V8....they had enough time to fix all the problems on the V10 and (as far as i can tell) the S6 behaves nice. However i have no idea what'll happen when biturbo'ed. We'll see.....its only a bit more than a month to geneva...... :)

Ruergard
February 8th, 2007, 15:59
If this is true, you made my day!

I'd love to see a biturbo V8 in the new RS6. So much cooler than any V10 in my opinion...! But I don't think that will be the outcome... I'll think we will see an V10, with or without turbos.

jonas21
February 8th, 2007, 16:24
So much cooler than any V10 in my opinion...!

Apprently you havent heard the sound of the S6 V10 real-life :)

Iceman
February 8th, 2007, 16:46
And imagine the interesting body work/venting that might accomodate the heat shedding the turbos will require.

http://www.autozeitung.de/online/bildDB/37705_1024.jpg

Hans.

Leadfoot
February 8th, 2007, 17:34
Both Iceman and myself have stated that a V8 Bi-Turbo was the logical answer on how to keep the RS6 handling in check and the match if not better than the current RS4. Why is it so impossible for Audi to make the RS4 engine produce an extra 130+hp with 2 turbos, the S3 kicks out 133hp per litre and when you do the maths for the differing engine size that is 555hp. Now who here would reckon the S3 engine is stressed.:vhmmm:

Also we are all in agreement that least weight will aid not only handling but stopping, acceleration and economy, I have said that there was many engines tested in the development of the RS6 and until the final production machine rolls off the production line we will never know for sure what Audi has blessed the RS6 with.:bye:

skiwi
February 8th, 2007, 17:50
fwiw, the current v10 weights the same as the ttv8 (230kg). the turbos and cooling add 30 kgs to the weight of the ttv8, so expect an additional 30kgs for a ttv10. not a lot. the challenge won't be weight, it will be heat.

alex_s3
February 8th, 2007, 18:32
It would be strange that the S6 have V10 but not the comming RS6.. ..

S4 B7 V8 4,2 - RS4 B7 V8 4,2
S4 B5 V6 TT - RS4 B5 V6 TT
S6 V8 4,2 - RS6 V8 4,2 TT

So..
New S6 V10 - New RS6 V10 or w/TT ??

RXBG
February 8th, 2007, 18:35
Both Iceman and myself have stated that a V8 Bi-Turbo was the logical answer on how to keep the RS6 handling in check and the match if not better than the current RS4. Why is it so impossible for Audi to make the RS4 engine produce an extra 130+hp with 2 turbos, the S3 kicks out 133hp per litre and when you do the maths for the differing engine size that is 555hp. Now who here would reckon the S3 engine is stressed.:vhmmm:

Also we are all in agreement that least weight will aid not only handling but stopping, acceleration and economy, I have said that there was many engines tested in the development of the RS6 and until the final production machine rolls off the production line we will never know for sure what Audi has blessed the RS6 with.:bye:

qisha- where are you???????????????????

Iceman
February 8th, 2007, 18:48
It would be strange that the S6 have V10 but not the comming RS6.. ..
Why the A8 have a 450 hp 6.0 litre W12 engine and the S8 have a 450 hp 5.2 V10 FSI engine.
It would be more logical if Audi had given the S8 the 560 hp 6.0 W12 Bi-turbo of the Bentley continental GT IMHO, but no they put in a engine with two cylinders less and the same hp.
The oposit go's for a sporty TT there is a 250 hp 3.2 VR6 and there is coming 300+ hp 3.6 VR6 but every one wants a high performance 2.0T in it and not the 3.6.

Hans.

Ruergard
February 8th, 2007, 19:31
Apprently you havent heard the sound of the S6 V10 real-life :)

Actually not, but the S8 V10! :applause:

And I do rather see an Biturbo V8. Torque is fun... any gear, any rev! :thumb:
Ofcouse a high-revving engine is great fun too, but in a big car like the RS6. I think a lot of power and very much torque is better!

Leadfoot
February 8th, 2007, 19:45
Why the A8 have a 450 hp 6.0 litre W12 engine and the S8 have a 450 hp 5.2 V10 FSI engine.
It would be more logical if Audi had given the S8 the 560 hp 6.0 W12 Bi-turbo of the Bentley continental GT IMHO, but no they put in a engine with two cylinders less and the same hp.
The oposit go's for a sporty TT there is a 250 hp 3.2 VR6 and there is coming 300+ hp 3.6 VR6 but every one wants a high performance 2.0T in it and not the 3.6.

Hans.

I personally don't have a problem with a RS or S model having a smaller engine than it's lesser models, the whole point of these models is to move the game forward and that includes everything from performance, handling, feel etc. If Audi can give the likes of the TT-S and the RS6 these desired things with the bigger engine than I would for one will be over the moon, no doubt the V6 TT sounds better than the 2.0TFSi and I reckon the same would be true of a TTv10 over a TTv8. But this is only the case if the other things improve.

I agree Qisha is the man to answer the burning question as to what engine the RS6 will get, but possibly he don't know yet or isn't allowed to say what it will be. I think with the release of the A5/S5 we will know a little more on this subject.

Marcus Frost
February 8th, 2007, 20:08
I pray that Audi gets back to the game that it has essentially built it's reputation on - and that is turbocharged engines. If the C6 RS6 is a bi-turbo V8, I will own one. If it is not, I will not. Pretty simple, really.

-m

skiwi
February 8th, 2007, 21:36
one other thing. i would expect the length of the v10 woud be the same or even less than that of the old ttv8. the new motor no long has the cambelt at the front, whcih save over 50mm in length...

Hy Octane
February 9th, 2007, 00:47
Once again, i'm not buyin this rumor.. If anything, they should have put the V8 in the S6 since the A6 line dosent really offer a 10 cyl.. Now, after all the testing of the S6 v10, theGmbh techs suddenly slap themselves on the forehead and say

" Hanz! Lookenzee here! Its too long ze motor ist! She hangs out over ze front wheelz ja? Bringinzee here da V8 schnell!"

I'm sure they knew a long time ago how the V10 would sit in the car. Jury is still out.... :thumb:

Iceman
February 9th, 2007, 05:47
Once again, i'm not buyin this rumor.. If anything, they should have put the V8 in the S6 since the A6 line dosent really offer a 10 cyl.. Now, after all the testing of the S6 v10, theGmbh techs suddenly slap themselves on the forehead and say

" Hanz! Lookenzee here! Its too long ze motor ist! She hangs out over ze front wheelz ja? Bringinzee here da V8 schnell!"

I'm sure they knew a long time ago how the V10 would sit in the car. Jury is still out.... :thumb:
The S6 V10 is a very nice car but it's not realy sporty like a RS4.
And Audi want to make the RS6 realy sporty, there for a V8 FSI TT.

Hans.

s42ski
February 18th, 2007, 00:32
Adding to this thread - when I looked carefully under the hood of the S6 I thought that getting twin turbo's into that space with the additional radiators etc. would be very tough with the V10 - I tend to agree that going back to a V8 for the RS6 seems not as likely. So I vote for a slightly larger V10 ( bored and or stroked) to get 5.5 or 5.8 liters with 550+ HP - perhaps we will see a TT on a V10 with a RS8 ?

PeterJohn
February 20th, 2007, 21:13
The whole point of forced induction is that you can get the power of a big engine from a small engine. Small engine means less weight, less friction, smaller dimensions... So charging an engine that is already big is kind of pointless. Take the V12TT AMGs. Those cars produce so much torque, that the chassis can't handle it. In anything but a straight line there is a constant battle between the rubber, the engine, and the electronics.
On the other hand, Quattro pulls with all fours, so it'll have an easier time than the RWD Mercs. Still, there is a limit to how much power you stuff into a daily driver, and a V10TT will exceed that limit without trying.

Now Audi could install small turbos, but what is the point of that? For all the trouble, you'll have a torque curve that is only slightly better that an N/A tune up.

As mentioned, another concern with a V10TT is that there is already little room in an Audi engine bay. The previous RS6 already suffered from heat problems b/c so much was stuffed into a small space. So much so that an air-to-water intercooler was added (Plus, warm weather package), which is normally preserved for high boost turbos.

The Veyron proved that mating high power to a daily driver isn't as easy as aftermarket tuners advertise. That cars' radiators' radiator has a dedicated radiator. Not to mention all the other sacrifices a high power car has to make. Unless off course you're willing to pay, but customers still expect Audi to be a better deal than BMW or Mercedes. Especially with the RS6, which is supposed to be as practical as a regular A6. An engine that eats up the tyres in 10000km, and needs to stop at every fuel station on the way, is not practical.

If you want the RS6 to have the performance of a Ferrari F599, then don't be suprized if it also shares a pricetag with the Italian.

If the RS6 is engineered by engineers, then it will have a V8TT. With some of the new developments it will produce a relaxed 500horsepowers of work. Perhaps 508hp, to out-do the M5. Not having to spend all their energy making an insanely impractical engine work in the RS6, will give the engineers time to fine tune the RS6. Work out all those little details that make a great concept into a fantastic car.

But if the marketing department has been put in charge, then we might see a V10TT. And it'll be a huge disappointment like the M5, and their "F1" marketing BS that made a fast luxury cruiser into a jerky heavy wannabe sportscar.

I don't think we'll see an atmospheric V10. Audi isn't a stranger to selling out its heritage (Quattro badge on Haldex), but an RS6 that is an S6 with an ECU remap is the kind of blasphemy that would offend even Lucifer, Lord of the Underground, himself.