PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Used RS6

dilysi
February 6th, 2007, 19:50
Hello to all - I am the current owner of a 2001 S8 and will be checking out an (as yet unseen) 2002 RS6 sometime before the weekend with a view to upgrading. I would really appreciate tips on anything special I should be looking out for on the test drive.

I have searched this excellent forum already and have:

Downloaded and read the Self Study Program tech primer.
Noted approx service costs and belt change intervals for reference.
Watched videos of people leathering the s**t of RS6s on Youtube so I know what it should sound and go like.
Noted that the DRC adaptive suspension is the cause of much grief and sagging wallets.Plus I'm familiar with my S8.

So please, is there anything special to watch out for? What does b*ggered DRC sound/feel like? If there is an oil pressure or boost gauge what might be nominal readings? Major recall issues?

This will be a private sale in Saudi Arabia :noshake: so I'm in all likelihood looking at something that has not been serviced as comprehensively as it should on one hand but will cost much less to buy than an equivalent motor in the west (Europe anyway) on the other. It can be done as the S8's OK (touches wood frantically)<TOUCHES wood>

Thanks in advance for your comments :mech:

JAXRS6
February 6th, 2007, 20:56
Congrats on doing some good homework -- you're already way ahead of most prospective buyers!:0:

Beware potential tranny issues if you mod. Some trannies have failed, and altho I doubt there's a way to be sure statistically, there seems to be a consensus that most failures -- but not all -- occurred on cars with performance programming that boosts hp and torque and, therefore, strain on the tranny. Most such programming also mods the tranny, which I suppose can help, but I'm really not sure if it does. In my own case, I am stock, have made infrequent trips to a drag strip, and replaced my torque converter under warranty at 50K mi.

DRC problems do not always affect ride quality. I've had mine repaired twice, again under warranty, but my only symptom was a banging-type rattle under the driver's floor.

What is the mileage and warranty status on the car you're considering? Either or both could be very important. Repairs are not cheap.

LIRS6
February 7th, 2007, 15:21
(From experience): DRC failure signs can be: A) the obvious; leaking shocks ... have a good look under the car at each damper for signs of leakage. B) the not-so-obvious; as you will not be familiar with what the "normal" RS6 ride should feel like, this may be difficult for you to ascertain. As JAXRS6 stated, a banging noise is a potential indicator, as is severe bounce if you are going slowly over, say, a speed bump. At speed, if the car goes over a bump and the rear gets tossed about sideways, this is also a sign. Remember that the shocks are diagonally connected to a central accumulator which provides the needed pressure (about 16 bar) to the system. If ANY leakage has occured, the central valve(s) MUST be replaced. An alternative to DRC is after-market, such as Bilstein PSS9's or Stasis-Ohlins. Good luck, it is a terrific car

skiwi
February 7th, 2007, 16:48
i have made the same move you are contemplating. absolutely no regrets as to a driving experience, and performance. you will misss the build quality, the s8 was a car audi lost money on, the rs6 certainly wasn't!

also, a large number of cars have no issues with drc or tranny, but the intrenet magnifies those that do. just like tranny issues on the a8/s8...

the rs6 is a great car!

JAXRS6
February 7th, 2007, 19:56
you will misss the build quality, the s8 was a car audi lost money on, the rs6 certainly wasn't!

Skiwi, you're saying the RS6 build quality is better or worse?

My car's build quality is exellent, so I'm glad you brought it up. More than 62K mi and still rattle-free!:rs6kiss: :rs6kiss:
No bad gaps, of course, and one nice feature I've never seen mentioned is the craftsmanship evident in the finely finished metal channel work around the trunk opening.

If you mean platform rigidity, well, that's another subject, and I'm sure the new models are better.

skiwi
February 7th, 2007, 20:20
there is nothing wrong with the build quality of the rs6. just that the s8 is much more impressive. mostly on the things you don't see though. beneath the skin, the rs6 is an extended a4, beneath the skin the s8 is an a8 with a beautiful milled aluminium structure and it is *solid*...

dilysi
February 8th, 2007, 08:41
Thanks for your all your advice, gents.

JAXRS6 - Not sure of mileage or warranty status yet. I'm investigating some third party warranties that are available over here but something like the DRC is sure to be not included.

Luckily we have a mechanics bay where I work so I will get it up on the ramps (our mechanics are basically diesel fitters though so will only be of so much use). We've some evil little speed bumps plus some pockmarked highway to check the suspension out on as well.

I'm going to get the VIN number and shoot over to the Audi dealers to see how often it's been in. I'll post some photos of it as well once I've seen it.

Cheers