PDA

View Full Version : Driver door squeak

ruxprncd
February 6th, 2007, 13:09
Greetings - I have a loud squeak that sounds like it's coming from the driver's door near the A pillar. It only happens over uneven pavement.

So far, I've determined that it's not coming from any contact point where the door shuts. I also confirmed the squeak doesn't happen with the door ajar, so presumably it is somewhere in the door (as opposed to inside the pillar itself). Just to be safe on that, I confirmed that the A pillar cover is tight/no squeaks.

The storage bin at the bottom of the door squeaks, but the squeak I'm trying to find is something else.

Any suggestions? Next step is to take apart the door.:vhmmm:

LIRS6
February 6th, 2007, 16:12
I have a squeak same door which I think is a mis-alignment causing a loose fit at the top of the window frame against the body, particularly noticeable in cold weather. Twice I had the dealer look at it, twice I got the standard "everyting is to spec."

Hy Octane
February 6th, 2007, 16:51
Couple of things.. Mine had a bolt come loose in the pillar that anchors the seat belt.. this squeaked then ratttled then came apart. they fixed it. the other thing was the window itself was moving at the top of the door frame when closed over bumps and this caused a squeaking sound. By putting some lube on the top of the window edge this stopped it..

s42ski
February 6th, 2007, 23:38
I also had a similar problem, took it to the dealer at 35K service and they placed a felt strip along the door seal ( car side) that got rid of the problem. Another solution is to lube the weather strips with silicone lubricant. Just do not get carried away or you will have lube on your clothes everytime you touch the seals.

ruxprncd
February 7th, 2007, 01:40
Thanks for the ideas guys. On an A6 forum I got another suggestion, which was a couple of styrofoam-like pieces that are inside the door panel. I'm fairly sure it's something inside the door based on my 'testing', so I'll take it apart and see what I find.