LukeDog
January 31st, 2007, 20:42
http://www.cherryflava.com/photos/uncategorized/audirs6.jpg

rks838
February 1st, 2007, 22:54
south africa, of all places...why?

LukeDog
February 1st, 2007, 23:03
Why use speed camera's? Because the police wont pull you over for fear of being shot. :doh:

LU-RS6
February 1st, 2007, 23:16
I was in Jo'burg few months ago and some of those guys really drive like madman, though I thought the minivans packed with +10 people seemed more lethal :D ..
Saw the cops using a speedtrap on a bridge, but was pretty obvious though. The thing which amazed me is that car insurance doesn't seem to be obligatory in SA?? Crazy...

LukeDog
February 1st, 2007, 23:29
It is crazy. The one nice thing is that speeding does not affect your insurance rates (if you have insurance, LOL) as it does here in the states. Just one of the many trade offs you have living in a less developed country.

LU-RS6
February 2nd, 2007, 08:45
In Europe it'll only increase your insurance rate if your drivers license gets taken. Happened to me in Belgium once doing a 101km/h where 50km/h was allowed. The good judge fined me EUR 120,- + EUR 100,- court expenses, which I was very ok with. Taught me always to bring a lawyer. :0: Unfortunately I couldn't get around losing the license for a month, most boring month of my life EVER.

Here in Switzerland I don't speed though, generally I'll always do about 10 km/h more than the limit...Strange country...registering a 6.0l supercar won't cost you much, but you'll end up paying fines in the thousands or even end up in jail for speeding. :cry: That's why the Southern Germans are sometimes a bit pissed off because of all the powerful swiss cars blasting through their country. Many of the Swiss car tuners such as Sportec are quite close to the German border....wonder why :hahahehe:
If I'm correct court is awaiting you in Switzerland when
doing + 145 km/h where 120 km/h is allowed.
doing +100 km/h where 80 km/h is alllowed.
doing + 65 km/h where 50 km/h is allowed.

The only place where I do speed in Switzerland from time to time is on those deserted mountain roads. Was in Canton Graubünden 2 weeks ago for a ski, and my god do I love those mountain roads. Always keep an eye on the locals though, they'll know where the cams are IF there are any.

LU-RS6
February 2nd, 2007, 15:39
It doesn't mean that if you have to go to court that you'll be jailed. They only determine your fine and how long you will lose your license.
You'll only end up in jail if you were really doing excessive speeds, sometimes they catch streetracers and they have no mercy on them.
So the fines are fixed up to a certain voilation level, below an overview for Switzerland:

innerhalb geschlossener Ortschaften: (WITHIN CITY)

1 bis 5 km/h über der Höchstgeschwindigkeit: 40 SFr
6 bis 10 km/h über der Höchstgeschwindigkeit: 120 SFr
11 bis 15 km/h über der Höchstgeschwindigkeit: 250 SFr
>15 km/h über der Höchstgeschwindigkeit: Anzeige

außerhalb geschlossener Ortschaften auf Autostraßen: (OUTER CITY )
1 bis 5 km/h über der Höchstgeschwindigkeit: 40 SFr
6 bis 10 km/h über der Höchstgeschwindigkeit: 100 SFr
11 bis 15 km/h über der Höchstgeschwindigkeit: 160 SFr
16 bis 20 km/h über der Höchstgeschwindigkeit: 240 SFr
> 20 km/h über der Höchstgeschwindigkeit: Anzeige

auf der Autobahn: (HIGHWAY)
1 bis 5 km/h über der Höchstgeschwindigkeit: 20 SFr
6 bis 10 km/h über der Höchstgeschwindigkeit: 60 SFr
11 bis 15 km/h über der Höchstgeschwindigkeit: 120 SFr
16 bis 20 km/h über der Höchstgeschwindigkeit: 180 SFr
21 bis 25 km/h über der Höchstgeschwindigkeit: 260 SFr
>25 km/h über der Höchstgeschwindigkeit: Anzeige

Anzeige means court. You'll lose your license for at least one month, but mostly goes up to 3 months. Fines I don't even want to mention.

1 Swiss Franc equals about 0,62 EUR or 0,80 USD

Luckily I've been spared but again, DON'T speed in Switzerland unless you're on Ghana license plates or something :D

Best regards
LU-RS6

LU-RS6
February 4th, 2007, 09:59
You are right, but by "court" I meant that your fine is not fixed and that court would be deciding your punishment. In general that means losing your license for a while + a high fine.

I'd rather have low fines and a point system like you do.