Pelle75
November 14th, 2002, 10:35
Is that possible? Of course see for yourself! :D
http://www.movit-scandinavia.com/en/welcome.html

Edit: Link to some pictures http://www.movit.de/htm/audrs6.htm

Edit: Brakes spells not Braked hehe :D

Dave
November 16th, 2002, 10:12
Those movit look nice but why would you want to change the audi 8 pot brakes for 6 pots??

Like the idea of 4 pots on the back though!

Dave:confused:

Nordschleife
November 16th, 2002, 19:12
Hi

There are really good reasons for replacing the 8 piston calliper and rotor in front and ditching the rear brake set-up.

The 8 piston calliper has four very small pads, which easily overheat. Furthermore, the series rotor is designed in such a way that it is impossible for air to be forced into it.

Consequently, on production cars, the rotor hot spots, the pads catch fire, pad wear is dreadful and rotors get destroyed very easily. AMG uses the same calliper and has problems too.

The six piston calliper has twice the pad area of the 8 piston calliper and the 380mm rotors are properly ventilated, helped by some bodywork.

The production rear brakes are terrible and do very little work as the pads are incredibly hard in order to make the handbrake work.

Switching to a setup with a proper rear brake and a separate calliper for the rear brake removes the compromise inherent in the series design.

The car in the photograph had done a little more than 4,000 kilometres and there was only another 1,000 or so km left in the series pads, which are very expensive to replace. So be prepared for big brakem pad bills.

Another car, with about 1,500 km, has completed cooked rotors, quite blue, because of the poor ventilation. At no stage had this car ever brakes firmly enough to activate the ABS. Reviewing how it may have happened, there were three quite quick stops from 280kph to 100kph weithin a space of 10 minutes, thanks to idiots on the Autobahn at night.

So, two RS6s, both with serious brake shortcomings, pad wear and rotor cooking respectively.

I love the car, hate the brakes! As far as I am concerned, 500bhp totally transforms the car, at least that is what the MTM chip does, I cannot speak for other tuners.

HTH

Dave
November 16th, 2002, 19:29
Many Thanks for your informed reply...

suddenly me wants movit brakes :D , I too was suprised with the size of the rear calipers and agree that they don't do much..

do you feel that too much braking power at the rear of the car could cause the back to step out or would the ABS deal with that?

Thanks
Dave

Nordschleife
November 16th, 2002, 19:52
Hi

The better rear brakes make the car feel more stable under retardation.

The 4-channel ABS will modulate each wheel individually.

Incidentally, when you feel the ABS start to activate, redouble the force on the brake pedal; the rear wheels, being unweighted under retardation have reached their limits of retardation/adhesion, the increased weight on the front wheels meands that there is still plenty of unused retardation capacity.

The increased thermal capacity of the rear brakes helps, especially in winter, when the EDL brakes the wheel that is slipping.

HTH

Erik
November 17th, 2002, 16:38
20" Sportec Wheels and 400 mm discs.

Brakes seem to cost 9590 Euro... :eek:

In the Sport Auto test they seem to be just a (very) little bit better than original.

Nordschleife
November 17th, 2002, 18:03
Hi
The brake system I select is completely different to that which is sold by Sportec. Different manufacturers, different installation, different brake lines.

Good braking is not just about stopping distances, it embraces repeatability, reliability, low maintence, cost of disposables, pedal feel, performance in bad conditions and that 'feelgood factor' which gives you confidence to trust the brakes.

Like most of the good things in life, a really good brake system doesn't come cheap.

Dave
November 17th, 2002, 18:32
Hi Mate,

The old brain is starting to like these Movits.. have you got a price.. going to have the 500 MTM chip soon

Cheers
Dave

Nordschleife
November 17th, 2002, 19:18
Dave

Send an email to g.frensemeyer@movit.de

Guido Frensemeyer is the boss and he will quote you a price. Tell him you have been talking to Robin.

Mov'it is located just across the Rhine from Strassbourg, so lots of good food and wine whilst you wait. MTM is about 3 hours drive further on, out the back of the Audi factory at Ingolstadt. depending on when you go, you could have the exhaust done as well.

HTH
Robin

johneroberts
November 18th, 2002, 09:44
Dave,
Robin is right in saying that the MoVit system will be your answer to your problems, i as you know have a full MoVit system on the RS4 and can verify that whilst i was in Germany, at Hockenheim and at Nordschlife i have a faultless performance in braking, also Guido is a very accomodating man, and very welcoming too, but if you dont want to go to Germany, Kim Collins can fit the brakes at the same time as fitting the MTM chip, also Miltek have just finished Mike Cheethams RS6 exhaust system and are now in a position to start "cat back " systems.
Cheers
jr

Erik
November 18th, 2002, 12:10
Very interesting discussion here.

Front

http://www.movit.de/images/audrs602.jpg

Rear. I guess the left caliper is for hand brake.

http://www.movit.de/images/audrs603.jpg

http://www.movit.de/images/audrs607.jpg

johneroberts
November 18th, 2002, 12:34
I guess the left caliper is for hand brake.
Its the very same on as mine and is taken from the Lamborghini Diablo system for the hand brake:D
Erik i agree a very interesting discussion.
Cheers
jr

Dave
November 20th, 2002, 19:43
John,

we must meet up for a chat soon.. so much I need to discuss with you..

MTM upgrade.. where to go and when...
Movit brakes.. where did you go and was it a good price?
Exhaust upgrades.. I'm also tempted to stick with MTM but did it upset your O2 sensors?

Cheers
Dave

johneroberts
November 20th, 2002, 20:25
Dave, cant see myselk getting down your way until next year now, but if your ever comming my way give me shout, only be too glad to oblige.
Kim Collins a Quattrosports did all the work and fitted the brakes, i can say pretty well know that its impossible to get a deal on MoVit, believe me i tried:D, Mike Cheetham is about to have the first set fitted to a RHD RS6 and the price is Scary £6-7K for full system.
Its pretty well know that on a RS6 you can only have a catsback system fitted due to the enormity of the job, 2 days engine out:(
The Miltek is by far the only option i would plumb for, as they have allready done 3-4 systems.
MTM is the only tuning company i would let near my car as they do seam to work closely with Audi de, and thats got to be worth somthing.
i will see you at Donnington no doubt on the 26th of Feb, im off there tomorrow to get some laps in before winter sets in.
Cheers
jr

Dave
November 21st, 2002, 21:20
Thanks John,

If I'm ever up your way I will give you a shout. I had heard from Wolfgang at MTM in Germany about the problems fitting the new exhaust system.... Don't know how much power it is worth yet or the advanatges of paying for a two day job. And I'm not too sure that I want the engine taken out for a new exhaust system. Do you feel that it would be worth doing the cat backs???

Would be interested to know also if that chap is happy with his new movits.. 7K seems a lot to me.. I mean the standard setup is Ok to live with.. maybe it is something I will do further down the line when more systems have been fitted.

Already looking forward to Donnington..

Cheers
Dave

Erik
November 24th, 2002, 15:02
Movit has added new pictures of another RS6 on their website, including an image of the breakpads.

RS6-1
http://www.movit.de/images/audrs606.jpg

RS6-2
http://www.movit.de/images/audrs610.jpg

Difference in brake pad area:

http://www.movit.de/images/audrs611.jpg

Nordschleife
November 24th, 2002, 17:45
Hi

I am delighted with the Mov'it brakes on both RS6s. Nice progressive feel and they just keep on doing their stuff, the way they are designed to do. Furthermore, they are much lighter than the stock system.

As far as the exhaust system goes, the MTM exhaust is not yet available, it is being developed right now.

The RS6s in the Mov'it photographs have quattro GmbH Sports exhausts. I can't compare the exhaust to stock, as both cars were fitted with them from new. In matt black it looks very good indeed and the sound is a beautiful burble.

Incidentally, do not confuse Miltek or Kim Collins exhausts with MTM exhausts, they are different, nor should the quattro GmbH Sports exhaust be confused with the Quaatro Sports (UK) exhaust, just to complicate matters!

I shall be at Essen on Press Preview day, if there are any questions. Email me off list for a treff.

HTH

Robin

johneroberts
November 24th, 2002, 18:12
FYI
MTM exhaust systems are now made by Scorpion, the were made and designed a while back by MiLteK
Cheers
jr

Erik
November 24th, 2002, 23:37
Check this out. The making of Movit brakes...

A very nice article about Movit and a Bentley Arnage turbo...
http://www.ultimategarage.com/movitkit.htm

Nordschleife
November 26th, 2002, 17:54
I was at MTM earlier today and inspected the prototype new exhaust for the RS6, interesting.
For the record presently MTM have their own exhausts made to their specification, they are not using Scorpion exhausts, although they had done so at some stage in the past.

HTH
not using Scorpion

Dave
November 26th, 2002, 18:07
Hi,

I wonder if it is possible for you to keep me informed of progress regarding the MTM upgrades. You obviously have your ear to the ground regarding matters and it would be of great help to me if you couldlet me know when the full exhaust sytstem is ready.

I have heard that the full job needs the engine out.. does this cause any problems in itself with things like the gear box and the like??

the way I would like to work things is MTM 500bhp chip, exhaust and finished off with the new movits.. can't afford to do it all in one go so I hope to do it bit by bit...

What would your advice be.. would you do it in the same order??

Thanks
dave

Nordschleife
November 27th, 2002, 15:28
Dave
please remind me in a couple of weeks, I'm off to Essen right now and then I am in Barcelona driving and testing, so no time for a considered response right now.

Robin

Dave
November 27th, 2002, 15:30
Thanks Robin,

Have a good time at the shows and testing and look forward to hearing about them when you get back

Cheers
Dave :0:

quattro
February 11th, 2003, 21:39
No Audi, but something really nice

http://sej.need4speed.dk/Photo/NBTrip2/Large/DSCF0969.JPG